PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Tile Pack - Reviews?

Halcyon_Dax
2007-02-09, 09:20 PM
I keep seeing this 10$ or so pack of "dungeon tiles" in my local bookstore. They look well made and interesting, but they dont really show you what you get on the package.

Anyone buy this product? Any feedback?

Thanks.

Halcyon_Dax
2007-02-09, 11:50 PM
Excuse my bump! I would love to hear you guy'zes opinions!

Sulecrist
2007-02-10, 12:27 PM
They're excellent. I'm quite fond of them.

You can create a reasonably-sized dungeon with a single pack (or at least a single floor, depending on what your definition of reasonable is). The first few sets are a little blocky but they're getting better as they come. I personally put mine on top of my dungeon mat as it adds a lot of layer to it and really brings out the experience.

Great for fog-of-war, too, and less mess than marker.

Shadow
2007-02-10, 06:41 PM
I'm of the same opinion.
They're also extremely convenient for smaller areas, or to "build" the dungeon (or cave network or whatever) as you're going, so as to prevent metagaming by the players who can "see" that there's a hallway coming up, or a door leading a particular direction, etc.
Well wort it just fr that ffect, as it saves time from having to draw the "new" areas as they come about.
The only problem that I've come across with this is when there are multiple doorways in a certain area, but not enough doorway tiles. Easily fixed by using a d6 to denote a door.

Matthew
2007-02-10, 07:01 PM
There's a Dungeon Building program using them over on the Wizard's Website.

Xerillum
2007-02-10, 07:05 PM
I prefer to stand by the old standby. vinyl dungeon mats with vis-a-vis markers!

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-10, 07:53 PM
I've not played with my tiles much, but I do routinely use the floors as a standard grid-placement battle map. There's a lot of fun stuff to do with them, I just don't have time to do it.

YPU
2007-02-12, 11:32 AM
Ow, if you want a battle mat form which you CAN really remove everything get the stealsqire (sp) mats. I tested mine by drawing a line of permanent marker across it and actually it still came of perfectly after 1 hours.
The tiles save you the trouble of drawing a room, but all dungeons start to look alike. It does help the players who don’t really see a dungeon from the lines. In one bang they see a real dungeon.

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-12, 12:34 PM
I don't use traditional dungeons a lot, one of the reasons I've not really played with them. In a pinch though, for outside combat they're great.

Swordguy
2007-02-12, 12:40 PM
In combination with the old set pieces from the HeroQuest board game, they work great. Same scale and all, and it solves the problem with the doors.

Zophiel
2007-02-12, 01:51 PM
My group was a bit skeptical when I introduced the dungeon tiles, but they agreed to at least give it a shot. After the first session, they were completely sold on the idea. As mentioned above, it made laying down the dungeon fast and easy, and they liked being able to only see the dungeon as they explored it, creating a dynamic fog-of-war effect that we found to be much more workable than previous attempts using either sheets of paper or drawing the map freehand as we went. Easy to use, quick to pack up at the end of the night, durable and high-production. The first set was, as expected, pretty vanilla. The second had more unique/interesting tiles, and presumably the third set gives another theme for the tiles. I haven't gotten around to buying the third pack yet, but I intend to make time for a trip to the flgs soon.