PDA

View Full Version : DM gave me a dragon as my animal companion

Genoin
2014-04-26, 02:08 PM
Pretty much like the title says, dm gave me a copper dragon, medium size at 6th level for my Druid. Give me interesting ideas on how to take advantage of or even break it. Some decent things I have thought of so far include enlarge person with shared spells since dragons breath damage in addition to weapon damage is dependent on size. Also, PF material only.

Talar
2014-04-26, 02:30 PM
Well that was generous of your DM. Enlarge Person will not work on the dragon though cause of type. But in general dragons are melee monsters, and benefit from the same type of buffs for the most part.

Genoin
2014-04-26, 02:55 PM
With Shared spells, enlarge person actually does work because the ability says it does work even if it would not normally affect your companion because of type.

Aergoth
2014-04-26, 04:00 PM
Dragon's breath weapon damage is dependant on age category, not size. The fact that there's a relation between the two doesn't apply here. Check out the table here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/dragon) to see how dragon breath weapon progression functions.

Talar is partially correct about Enlarge Person but some elaboration needs to be made. The creature type doesn't matter with the share spell feature. HOWEVER you can only use spells with a target of "You" through share spell to get around type issues. Enlarge person has a target of "one humanoid creature (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/enlarge-person)" so it doesn't work here.

Assuming that your dragon is a wyrmling, you actually want to keep it back and make use of the breath weapon as though it were a familiar rather than the typical combat monster animal companions that druids can make use of. Even if it's a larger dragon, taking advantage of its fly speed and ability to cast spells is probably going to net you more gain than having it wade into combat. Copper Dragons cast spells as a sorcerer and can use wands as a sorcerer as well.

nyjastul69
2014-04-26, 04:20 PM
Pretty much like the title says, dm gave me a copper dragon, medium size at 6th level for my Druid. Give me interesting ideas on how to take advantage of or even break it. Some decent things I have thought of so far include enlarge person with shared spells since dragons breath damage in addition to weapon damage is dependent on size. Also, PF material only.

Assuming that Dragons work similarly in PF to D&D Dragons, that that was a most generous gift.

Also, using the new tag descriptors can be a benefit for other users as the default assumption is D&D, not PF. I assumed D&D when reading your thread title.

Talar
2014-04-26, 04:25 PM
With Shared spells, enlarge person actually does work because the ability says it does work even if it would not normally affect your companion because of type.

Oh cool, I did not realize that as I do not do much with companions/familiars. Also as a druid how do you have the spell enlarge person?

Aergoth
2014-04-26, 04:27 PM
Oh cool, I did not realize that as I do not do much with companions/familiars. Also as a druid how do you have the spell enlarge person?

Talar, Genoin is incorrect on this matter, see my post earlier. (Just don't want someone to have to deal with incorrect assumptions about share spells and familiars/animal companions)

Talar
2014-04-26, 04:37 PM
Talar, Genoin is incorrect on this matter, see my post earlier. (Just don't want someone to have to deal with incorrect assumptions about share spells and familiars/animal companions)

Why thank you, I appreciate learning :smallsmile: and this is what I get for jumping to replying instead of reading every post.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-04-26, 06:29 PM

No, you are incorrect.

The druid may cast a spell with a target of “You” on her animal companion (as a touch range spell) instead of on herself. A druid may cast spells on her animal companion even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion's type (animal). Spells cast in this way must come from a class that grants an animal companion. This ability does not allow the animal to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells.

They're separate sentences. Entirely different statements. A druid can use spells on the AC even if the type doesn't match. A druid can *also* use personal range spells on the AC.

Coidzor
2014-04-26, 07:17 PM
The requirement that it has to be from a class that can have an animal companion is interesting though, especially since you'd think it'd be unnecessary when the Sorcerer/Wizard, Cleric, Druid, and Ranger lists are all already kosher.

Edit: I'm assuming this is a Young Copper Dragon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/dragon/metallic-copper/young-copper-dragon) due to your statement that it's Medium sized.

So you have a pet Sorcerer 1 with at-will Grease. You should check and see if its spells are all preset or if you can select them or what.

Don't forget that it also has always-on spider climb, but only on stone surfaces. And its breath weapon gets you a minimum of 4 rounds of slow when it manages to slow enemies due to the +1 per age category of the dragon clause.

Since it has 9 HD compared to your 6, if you can rejigger its feats and skills, you might be able to craft something more powerful than you'd otherwise be able to, but the real limiting factor for that stuff is usually money. Still, having more HD than your Druid does present some kind of opportunity, certainly.

Sith_Happens
2014-04-26, 07:35 PM
Is your character Small or can it become Small? If so, my suggestion is to do whatever you would normally do as a Druid, but while riding a dragon.