PDA

View Full Version : Lich question

questionmark693
2014-04-26, 04:47 PM
If a creature becomes a lich, how does that affect their age categories?

OldTrees1
2014-04-26, 05:00 PM
Good question.

I believe only living creatures age. Instead Undead have their own form of aging (Evolved Undead template from Libris Mortis). So if an Old Aged elf became a lich, they would keep the Old Age modifiers but would not gain the Venerable modifiers. However this is just my opinion.

Loxagn
2014-04-26, 05:00 PM
They come undead. They simply don't accrue age categories anymore, although depending on the DM you may have to worry about decaying over time.

Brookshw
2014-04-26, 05:01 PM
I'm inclined to think the age category freezes at the time of "death".

questionmark693
2014-04-26, 05:05 PM
Ok, cool, I like that answer. Also, if they were to wildshape, would they do so normally, or maybe turn into undead versions of animals?

OldTrees1
2014-04-26, 05:44 PM
Ok, cool, I like that answer. Also, if they were to wildshape, would they do so normally, or maybe turn into undead versions of animals?

Normally they would do so normally. However as your DM if you can change it/if you are the DM change it.

Seclora
2014-04-26, 07:11 PM
Well, I would think that since the Age bonuses to Mental stats are more or less from life experience, and the penalties to Physical stats are from your body aging; becoming an undead abomination without muscle tissue capable of deteriorating and no Con score of any sort would eliminate the physical penalties, but not actually effect your mental bonuses.

Strong as you were when you were young, but not as dumb. That's what we all really want out of our immortality anyways, right?

Valwyn
2014-04-26, 09:29 PM

Undead can't use wildshape, at least not normally. You'd have to take Corrupted Wild Shape, a [Monster] feat from Libris Mortis.

Urpriest
2014-04-26, 09:35 PM
Undead can't use wildshape, at least not normally. You'd have to take Corrupted Wild Shape, a [Monster] feat from Libris Mortis.

That was true when Wild Shape was based on Polymorph, but after the errata it's no longer true.

Interestingly enough, nothing in the Undead type makes you exempt from aging penalties or from dying of old age. But that's silly enough that I don't think anyone follows the RAW on it.

Gullintanni
2014-04-26, 10:06 PM
If a creature becomes a lich, how does that affect their age categories?

Undead do not age any further. Undead maturity is measured using the Evolved Undead template from Libris Mortis if I recall correctly...and if you choose to use it.