PDA

View Full Version : Magic:TG thread for old school players

Erloas
2007-02-09, 10:05 PM
Well, I figured I would start a Magic thread too, but I wanted it to be focus on older decks. From players that scoffed at the indroduction of "beginer" sets like portal, who though shadow(or whatever it was) was just another stupid version of flying to force everyone to buy new cards and remember when creatures didn't always have abilities and spells didn't do 10 different things.

I started playing a little bit after 3rd edition, stopped sometime between 6-7th.

So I figured I would start with my main deck. (this deck was the reason I don't have any good blue or white decks, had to trade a lot of stuff)

Lands
20xMountains
Creatures
2xThundermare
3xShivan Dragon (from 3 different editions)
3xUthden Troll
1xBall Lightning
4xLightning Elemental
1xSubterranean Spirit
Sorcery
4xDisintegrate
4xRolling Thunder
4xFireball
3xPyroclasm
1xInferno (wish I had some more of these, the copy I have is the only one I've seen played)
1xKaervek's Torch
2xJokulhaups
1xShattering Pulse
Enchantment
2xMana Flare
Artifacts
1xNevinyrral's Disk
2xHowling Mine

This is a fairly straightfoward deck, but many of the good things and bad things of it go to both sides. I've had more then a few games end in a draw when I blew both of us up at once... for some reason in 3+ player games I'm always the first one targetted, but if I'm not they usually wish I had been.

Of course with all the new cards out there this probably doesn't stand a great chance anymore. And it is highly susceptable to a few specific cards.

Rabiesbunny
2007-02-09, 10:20 PM
Nice build! I'm kind of new to Magic, but my boyfriend is a rather old school player, so I learned the old ways. I've faired decently well in tournaments. Except for the whole Mirrordin fiasco.

Artifacts are the tool of Asmodeus in all his hotness.

...stupid Mirrordin!

TheThan
2007-02-09, 10:35 PM
Exactly how old is old school?

While I only started back when onslaught was new, I discovered I like a lot of the older cards better and I prefer to use them instead of the newer stuff, the only problem I have is well finding the old stuff now adays.

My play style is neat, I play a hybird of old and new, I try to find a balance between the two play types, (trust me there is a difference) but I’ll show a mostly “old school” deck I play. An Old School friend of mine taught me how to play as well, seems like that’s the best way to learn.

Thethan’s "Tribal” deck of doom
Creatures:
4 Kird ape
4 Simian spirit guide (think elvish spirit guide only red)
4 Barbary apes
4 Gorilla berserkers

Instances/sorceries
4 Lightening bolt
4 Gorilla war cry
4 blood lust (way better than fists of the anvil)
4 might of the oaks
4 hull breach
4 fog
Artifacts
None
Lands
10 mountains
10 forests
1 highland weld ( Shivan oasis copy, snow covered)

I sorta build this deck to make fun of people with their cute little onslaught block elf decks and cleric decks and stuff. But it developed into quite the nasty speed deck. Now if I could only find a gorilla legend...

Erloas
2007-02-09, 11:00 PM
Thats old school enough for me, I recognize at least the majority of the cards.
I've played a number of red/green decks too. I got away from them since my luck always ended up with me not having the lands that matched the cards I have in hand.
Blood lust is a very great card since it can be used to kill enemy monsters as well as dish out good damage.

One thing I liked about playing a lot of the old cards is that they were fairly simple so you had to be creative to do unexpected things.

One question though, does the mana pool thing still work the same way? Where you can, for example, tap 12 mana, use 6 to cast jokulhaups, then hold the other 6 to drop a shivan dragon out after all the lands and creatures have been destroyed? I heard rumor that the mana pool cleared between castings of longer spells like summons and soceries, though I haven't checked the rules in a long time to see if that still works or not. It was my favorite thing to do with that deck and the mana flares made it very practical to do.

TheThan
2007-02-10, 01:20 AM
Lets see, your mana pool empties after each phase so you can still float mana for something like a jokulhaups trick, as long as you do it all during the same phase. So yeah, it should work.

Idleknight
2007-02-11, 04:52 PM
I have a couple of show boxes full of 2nd and 3rd ed
any idea where's a good place to flog them?

Glaivemaster
2007-02-11, 05:05 PM
I started playing about 10 years ago, I think, but I didn't start collecting my own cards until Invasion, when I really got into it (and started getting my own money). Up until then, I used my older brothers cards, so i have used them, just don't have them

Does that count as Old School?