PDA

View Full Version : Superior Magnestism

Irk
2014-04-26, 08:10 PM
Superior Magnetism is a spell that allocates a great deal of, well, magnetism to the object on which it is cast. It's kind of a peculiar spell, and I haven't seen it discussed, so I though I would bring it up, specifically as a means of generating power.

Imagine if one placed a large metal rod with a smaller rod sticking off of it (imagine a police baton with the bit you hold on to in the middle instead of off to the side), inside of a slightly shorter pipe with a slit in it where the shorter metal rod would fit so that the large rod could slide back and forth inside the pipe without falling out. Maybe with two spell clocks on either side of the pipe set to cast Superior Magnetism at alternating times and having it be dismissed a few moments after it was cast could produce a simple oscillating motor. Or, even better, perhaps a spell clock could be made to cast it the spell on itself, constantly replenishing it so that it could serve as the magnetic bit found in conventional motors.

Is there any real practical use for this? No, magic exists. It's kind of cool, though. What if someone had a campaign setting where all magic was wiped out by some catastrophe except for one object that could cast magnetism, setting the stage for an awkward industrial revolution centered around a single massive turbine. I don't know, maybe.

Thoughts?

Ellowryn
2014-04-26, 08:35 PM
Where is this spell from? My limited search of the interwebs doesn't reveal that such a spell exists.

Either way, assuming someone in the dnd world figured out the principle of electromagnetism, also assuming such a principle actually existed, then yes one could make a rudimentary electrical generator. I guess it could be the focus of a campaign, and i'm sure something similar has been done many times before, but to be honest you would be better off getting something that naturally generated electricity such as an elemental and just make a farm.

And to your question about practical use, of course in a world where magic doesn't exist physics and its application become paramount. For a very good example, try looking at real life, surprisingly it models the whole no-magic world pretty well! :smallwink:

Slipperychicken
2014-04-26, 08:48 PM
Superior Magnetism is a spell that allocates a great deal of, well, magnetism to the object on which it is cast. It's kind of a peculiar spell, and I haven't seen it discussed, so I though I would bring it up, specifically as a means of generating power.

I've never heard of it. Can you tell us where you found it? And maybe provide a link if appropriate? If you can't find the spell's source, can you post the full entry for us to see?

Also, I like the handwave that D&D does not use real-world physics, so physics shenanigans require GM adjudication.

Irk
2014-04-26, 10:03 PM
I've never heard of it. Can you tell us where you found it? And maybe provide a link if appropriate? If you can't find the spell's source, can you post the full entry for us to see?
I meant to provide a link, but I got distracted, sorry about that. Here it is. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20021011a)

Also, I like the handwave that D&D does not use real-world physics, so physics shenanigans require GM adjudication.
Not everyone does this, but I understand the opinion. I was just curious about the spell in general.

Either way, assuming someone in the dnd world figured out the principle of electromagnetism, also assuming such a principle actually existed, then yes one could make a rudimentary electrical generator. I guess it could be the focus of a campaign, and i'm sure something similar has been done many times before, but to be honest you would be better off getting something that naturally generated electricity such as an elemental and just make a farm.

And to your question about practical use, of course in a world where magic doesn't exist physics and its application become paramount. For a very good example, try looking at real life, surprisingly it models the whole no-magic world pretty well!
True enough, it is just a peculiar spell, and was wondering what opinions people had on it.