PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Horde

russdm
2014-04-26, 08:34 PM
(The IC thread for the game)

You are looking in the streets of Darrow heading to the Drunken Elf inn. Along the way, you see merchants and townfolk buying and selling. At a street corner, a group of orcs is loading bags into a wagon while being overseen by a half-orc with a large axe. He stands apart and watches them work.

A group of elves on horse back ride up to the orcs and began calling down to them.

(For those who understand Orc or Elven)

They insult the orcs in their own tongue and that of the elves.

The half-orc looks to be trying to keep the other orcs under control; the orcs look like they are getting angry and they snarl at the elves. The half-orc sees you and gives you a pleading look before turning back to the orcs.

chrisrawr
2014-04-26, 09:56 PM
"Hail, friend elves. I am Timmok of The Order. My vows and honour bid me question: Why do you heckle those who toil as honest labourers?"

Timmok is confused at the antics of the elves, who he'd been taught were noble of intent and action.

piercetbh
2014-04-27, 12:59 AM
"Aye, what have they done to provoke your insults?" Finnegan asked, moving forward as if to advance on them while remaining wary of getting too close to a pack who could most definitely overpower him in a physical outburst.

Amanil
2014-04-27, 03:19 AM
"Come on, haven't we got an inn to get to?" Kaitia grumbles to the group. "The beer's not getting any closer with us standing around here amongst the riff-raff." Her look is somewhat distrusting, though whether it's aimed at the elves or the orcs isn't clear.

Man on Fire
2014-04-27, 01:21 PM
Whant an annoyance. Dominic mutters to himself, then approaches the Elves.
"Pardon me, but is there any problem?" He adress who looks like a leader of the group in Elven. "It is unusual to see Elven blood behaving like this. Can I ask you for the reasons of this behavior?"

russdm
2014-04-28, 04:06 PM
As you get closer, you notice that the elves are dressed in very fine clothes and that they all carry rapiers. The elves sneer at you, while one mutters to another in elven. Their clothes are all marked with an eagle holding arrows in its talons (knowledge: Royalty or Local to identify: DC 20).

In Elven:

"The dogs are speaking to us, how amusing."

One elf dressed in nearly all black addresses you. "We are showing these filth that they don't belong in civilized lands. Of course, in looking at you, I would have to say the say about you lot." His companions laugh while he makes rude gestures at you.

Another one speaks out. "That's right, Athos! Teach these foul human dogs to mind their manners before their superiors. Human scum."

Athos, who is the one in black, smiles at you. "Shall we teach you how to play fetch, little puppies? or perhaps how to catch a ball?" The other elves continue laughing at you while catcalling you with things like "Human scum", "Pig dogs", "Lost doggy" and other insulting things.

Amanil
2014-04-28, 08:25 PM
Though not speaking Elven, the meaning certainly isn't lost on Kaitia. Until now, she didn't really care - the elves were right, they were just orcs - but she wasn't one to take an insult lightly.

"I don't see any civilised lands around here, just a bunch of pompous -" she slips into Dwarven, "- tw**s with sticks up their a**es." Cursing in Dwarven just feels more natural and colourful to her, and she returns to the local tongue for the rest.

"Call 'em dumb if you want, doesn't mean jack to me, but you're between me and a pint. Last person to do that was an orc - he wasn't so bright - so unless you're as dumb as they are I'd suggest moving aside. I'd hate to get your fancy garb all muddy, someone might mistake you for someone with an ounce of humility."

I'm calling the first skill roll! Watch it fail spectacularly.

[roll0]

chrisrawr
2014-04-28, 11:16 PM
Timmok is furious; Purely furious. He's a simple man, born from simple roots into a simple position in a simple Order; Upholding the Light of Pelor that all the denizens of the lands might see it shining as an example of what is Good and Right.

And when a simple man finds a complex problem, the solution he arrives at is usually simple as well. And yet, even in his righteous fury, his words are polite and respectful, Elven though the tongue is hard in his mouth.

"You disservice your progenitors and the Light! Stand aside or I'll have the guards alerted and you'll be arrested for harassment!"

He stands poised, one gloved finger pointed accusingly at the Elves. Outwardly, righteous indignation brings his face to a handsome and intimidating scowl. Inwardly, he wonders if perhaps he'd been too hasty in his escalation of this conflict.

The doubt will plague him for many nights of penance he fears. Still, though he finds himself at odds with his friends' drinking problem, their sentiments are roughly aligned; haste must be made for the Light, even when Darkness mars the path ahead.

russdm
2014-04-28, 11:57 PM
The elves laugh happily at hearing Katia. Athos says something in elven to the others and moves off followed by a couple of the others. One of the others speaks to another and then directs his horse close to Katia, flanked by two other elves. He is dressed in fine green clothing, while the others are wearing blue clothes. He is given a glass of wine by one of his companions and he drinks it mockingly in front of Katia before getting a refill.

Athos: In elven

"Let them drink with the dwarven pigs. Lets not dirty our blades with their filth."

Green Elf: In elven

"Pour me a glass; I want to teach this peon a lesson in manners."

Green elf holds the goblet up out towards Katia, smirks, then throws its contents at her. He jokes in common, "Here, have a pint!"

Athos and his companions watch from further away, interested to see what the outcome is, by they won't interfere.

Man on Fire
2014-04-29, 05:47 AM
Dominic looks at the Elves with dissaproval.
"It is dissapointing to see such shameful display from members of Elven race." He says in Elven. "Do you have no shame? Acting with the maturity and class of barbaric simpletons. What would your ancestors said if they have seen you now? Or maybe..." He pauses and calmly looks at Elf in green."Or maybe I heard wrong and your people are not noble and graceful? Is it all just a facade for spoiled children like you?"
His words are harsh and he knows he might provoke them, but he hopes that by appeal to Elven pride he might shame the Elves enough to leave. But he also prepares for an attack, readying himself to cast a spell.

Diplomacy [roll0]
If attacked, Dominic casts Sanctuary on himself

piercetbh
2014-04-30, 01:54 AM
"These are hardly elves," Finnegan said, not too happy about getting involved but needing to speak his mind. "I recognise that insignia. They're from a clan that was booted from the Elven lands a while ago. Surely it's hard to call others scum when your own people don't want you around, hm?" He spoke in common, to make sure that the Orcs could understand. He wasn't trying to start a fight, though in hindsight he figured that his words were very provoking. Oops.

Readying an action to cast Grease around the closest horse if it advances further.

Amanil
2014-04-30, 01:32 PM
"I asked for a pint, not a thimbleful." Kaitia practically ignored the wine; she'd been covered in mud and soaked through with water plenty in her times hunting, a splash of wine wasn't even an inconvenience. "Elven constitution really is lacking if that's all you can manage."

Kaitia moves to pass by the elves, wary of how throwing the first stone would be viewed by the law. "The inn's this way, folks. Unless our friends here have anything else they'd like to add?"

Kaitia tries to move around the riders. Though I suppose combat hasn't really started, she's going Total Defence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#totalDefense) if possible.

russdm
2014-04-30, 03:06 PM
Secret DM roll:

[roll0]

russdm
2014-04-30, 03:17 PM
The elf hassling Kaitia kicks at her ineffectively, missing. Athos laughs as the other elf does so and he calls something over to the elf.

Elven

"Well, you certainly showed her, Pythos. Now come on, it's time to leave."

The other elf calls back angrily at Athos, who calls back in reply.

Elven

Other Elf: "This human pig-dog hasn't learned her proper lessons! I shall give her a permanent reminder."
Athos: "You will do nothing but embarrass yourself further. Now come, we have more important things to do than waste time while you try to beat sense into that woman. However amusing it would be to watch her knock you off your feet, there are more important matters. Come now."

The other elf mutters angrily, then looks down at Kaitia. "You haven't heard the last of me, foul cretin. I shall return soon and challenge you to a duel! Hrrrmmpph." He directs his horse around and leads his companions away, following Athos off.

The half-orc carefully strides up to you and offers his thanks for your help. "My name is Krutos Axehewer and I am grateful for your aid. If you are ever in the lands of the Tiger Claw tribe, tell them my name and they will provide you help."

Krutos gets the last goods on the wagon and the orcs head out of town. If you have any questions for Krutos, you should ask them now.

chrisrawr
2014-04-30, 05:38 PM
"Those... those!" Timmok struggled to come up with words he would not have to repent later.

Failing valiantly, he turned his attentions to the wounded pride of his comrade. Recompense would be had. "Kait, shall we alert the town guard and vie for your honour against those... Hooligans!"

"HOOLIGANS!" His shout after the retreating elves is as righteous and pure as his intentions, and about as effective. But, at least, he'd found the word he'd been looking for.

piercetbh
2014-04-30, 10:06 PM
Frowning, Finnegan waved his hand towards Kaitia, channeling a a wave of low-power magic. His ally's clothes were slowly cleaned, stains of drink disappearing from their gear as he walked past them.

He was silent, but the direction he was heading in made it clear that he was going to inn.

Amanil
2014-04-30, 11:14 PM
Mostly ignoring Krutos, but paying attention to the mention of his name and that of his tribe - know thy enemy, and such - Kaitia nods her thanks to Finnegan as she adjusts her attire.

"Elves... bad as orcs, sometimes," she mutters. "That little tirade made me thirsty. Onwards, comrades, the inn awaits!"

Man on Fire
2014-05-01, 02:54 AM
"Surerly you showed them their place, my friend." Dominic says sarcastically to Timmok. He then turns towards Krutos. "Thank you. My name id Dominic Baltasar Bizarre Jr. and it pleases me I could help honest, hardworking men from bnch of troublemakers. If you have any futher problems with them, you might find me at the inn, Krutos Axehewer.".

"Not a single race is better than the others." He scold Kaitia. "Had you read some of the history books, you would realize all of them have skeletons in their closets, proverbarly speaking of course."

chrisrawr
2014-05-01, 03:11 AM
Timmok butts in, his oxcart of thought having broken an axle. "At the Chapel, we have actual skeletons in our closets - Saints mostly, but I've heard tell of a Lich's body kept there, just in case one of its foul anchors still hides its spirit from Pelors' divine light."

He holds the door open for the others as they reach their destination.

piercetbh
2014-05-01, 04:54 AM
"Yeah, 'skeletons in the closet' can be literal in a lot of situations," Finnegan said as he moved into the inn and looked about its inside a seat. "But let's forget about that, for a moment. I need a drink, and then we've got some other business to take care of."

Any obvious trouble in the inn?

russdm
2014-05-01, 05:44 PM
You enter the inn and find it is nearly full of people. There are a few empty tables in the center of the inn. The inn is filled with many humans but there is a few tables of other races: one table has a small group of elves; there is a slightly larger group of dwarves; and several groups of orc laborers. You don't see any goblins though. There are several customers stated at the bar on the side.

Two short stout kobolds care trays of drinks around and hands them out. A burly Ogre stands behind the bar, while a human brings out trays of food that are picked up by more kobolds. A kobold comes up to you and smiles before greeting you in common. "Good afternoon, gentle beings. We have some tables available if you are interested in having a meal. If you are looking for snacks and drinks, I suggest you try the bar. If you are looking for rooms, arrangements can easily be made."

You do notice that there is one table that has someone dressed in dark clothes that is eating alone. The figure glances briefly in your direction before going back to their food.

chrisrawr
2014-05-01, 09:44 PM
The room brightens as Timmok brings the Light of Pelor into it, his flashing smile briefly pushing the Darkness back into the corners from where it slunk.

"Drinks for our table," he points to an open spot with enough room for his companions, "And keep them coming, Dragonkin, our thanks, erm... Linda!" What an odd name for a Kobold.

Turning his attention from the help to a more pressing problem, he claps one man on his shoulder, greeting him fondly but without recognition. "Pardon goodsir, I would be greatly in your favour if you could shuffle your seat forward a moment only, my friends and I are tired and you seem a reasonable sort."

Using his more than moderate mass wherever a manageable ministration of mirth and modesty misfire, Timmok maneuvers through the mess, maintaining a moderate margin for the others' means as they move to the meeting place through the mobbed room.

Though not naturally suspicious, Timmok activates "Detect Evil" (at will, standard action, class feature) the moment he wakes up each morning out of devotion to his God and his Order. If there is any Evil around, let the might of my alliteration strike it down!

Amanil
2014-05-01, 10:55 PM
Carefully casting about the crowd, with its contrasting clientele, Kaitia's cautious character is concerned by the continuing company of orcs. Quietly cataloguing the couple commonplace citizens - the cap on the community of Darrow causes acquaintances to crop up commonly - Kaitia continues through the cacophony to acquire a comely cup of courage.

En garde! :smallbiggrin:

In case it wasn't clear, she's going to the bar. Knocked off 4cp for a mup of common ale as per SRD, if it's significantly more let me know.

russdm
2014-05-01, 11:53 PM
The ogre bartender, whose name is Thugg, pours Kaitia a mug of ale in a clean glass. One of the other patrons turns to look at her, and then backward off his stool, having passed out from being way to drunk. A small group of kobolds carry him out of the inn.

A kobold dressed in fancy clothes comes up to you and speaks to you. "We have roast duck baked in spiced wine with mashed potates and corn. There are fresh baked cookies for desert. We also have iced drinks as well if you desire them. We do have wine and ale if that is more your preference." He waits patiently for your answer.

piercetbh
2014-05-02, 06:02 AM
Finnegan followed his party to their chosen table, sitting down with them as he thought over the confrontation with the Arrowhawk Elves. There was something odd about the shadowy man sitting nearby, but such things were not his area of expertise.

"Yes, I will have a meal, with ale," he says to the Kobold, smiling at the thought of a hot meal after time spent on the road and reaching for his coin pouch to make sure it was full. Confident in his financial status, he turned to the rest of the group. "So, when are we taking our next job?"

Man on Fire
2014-05-02, 12:22 PM
I heard of a chapel built out of human bones, far away in distant lands. But I doubt it's an appriorate subject for the dinner. Dominic says to Timmok, as they enter the inn.

"You seem troubled." Dominic says to Kaitia, taking place next to her. What does disturbs you?

Amanil
2014-05-03, 10:55 PM
"Not much, I just don't like how Darrow is evolving." Kaitia confessed, swigging her drink. "Not long ago things were much simpler, you didn't have to worry about orcs - if you saw one, you fought it or ran - or arrogant elves. People could earn an honest living doing an honest job. I mean, you didn't see shady folks like that guy, hanging around on his own," Kaitia gestured with her ale glass at the lone stranger, "People travelled together, worked together, ate and drank together."

She turned to a passing kobold. "I'll have the roast duck," she asked, flashing a smile and fishing in her purse for change for the meal and two further silver pieces. "Keep the drinks for my friends and I coming."

Man on Fire
2014-05-04, 03:44 PM
"I don't think that people suddenly stopped eating together, drinking together or travelling together. Look at us." Dominic says, giving Kobold a not that he'll have some of that duck too. "And I'll rather have orcs, and kobolds, goblins and ogres for that matter, making honest living, than ones I'd have to run from." He gives a shady man a passing glance. "And that guy over there looks like he has a business he needs to be taken care of in secret. My father woudl tell me stories of his youth, people like this were quite common source of income back then." He pauses. "How about we talk to him?"

chrisrawr
2014-05-05, 12:15 AM
Timmok stiffens, suddenly sensing something sinister in the surrounding scores of suspicious shoppers.

"EVIL!" The cry cuts through the clamor, as Timmok's sword flashes - he climbs atop a table and holds it above him, swooping it about the room in righteous furor to point at those his senses deem unworthy of the light.

"EVIL HAS NO PLACE HERE! GUARDS! TO ARMS! EVIL AMONG US! LET NONE PASS THROUGH THE DOORS! WARD YOUR HEARTS AND MINDS AGAINST THEIR TRICKERY! TO ARMS I SAY, THERE IS GREAT EVIL AMONG US!"

With a flourish, he hops to the nearest table, in the direction of the closest evil.

Diplomacy to sway the crowd [roll0]
Jump and Balance rolls for as many as are needed to get close to the nearest evil dude
Jump: [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5]
Balance: [roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9], [roll10]

russdm
2014-05-05, 12:28 AM
Well, you leap across to the next table and slip in some ale, landing flat on your back. The table's patrons, a group of orcs, look at your strangely before leaping and yelling and screaming.

Pretty soon, the 'evil-doers' are fighting off townsfolk, while the rest of the townsfolk engage in a barfight. Congratulations, you have started a barfight.

The evil-doers appear to be fancy looking elves who are masterfully wielding Rapiers against their attackers. One of the elves looks at you, then runs up the steps. He calls up it for help and...

A tall figure dressed in a horned black full helm (Face shield, you can't see face) with a big black bladed axe with what appears to be a bone handle strides down the stairs which creak as the figure comes down. The figure appears to be nearly 7ft tall, has red skin and is wearing black armor decorated in skull motifs. The figure picks up the elf and throws him across the room then wades into the melee with the axe, hewing townsfolk right and left.

You think this is the evil you sensed upstairs.

Man on Fire
2014-05-05, 06:27 AM
Dominic scowls, irritated.
"I'll create a distraction, you get our companions out of here. If Timmok tries to resist, knock him down. And later reminds me to beat him up, if you can." He says to Kaitia, then gets behind the bar, next to ogre bartender.
"By spirits of water and air, I call upon protective spell. Let is cease people's wrath, when mist obscures their sight!" He proclaims, reaching his hand towards brawlers.
Casting Obscuring Mist

Amanil
2014-05-05, 07:15 AM
Finishing her drink with an almost resigned swig, Kaitia stands and quickly ascertains the situation. She'd been in a few bar fights before, and how they ended up mostly involved how many people were armed and armoured. The sight of the elves drawing steel against relatively unarmed civilians made her blood simmer, and she was about to engage them mostly because of that rather than her companion's proclamation.

As she planned their exit strategy, the hulking armoured figured appears. The thought of convincing Timmok to back down left her in an instant; this warrior was the embodiment of what a Paladin hopes to combat. Resigned to this ending badly, she locates the nearest exit and gestures her companions towards it.

Do the elves Timmok pointed out have any insignia? Kaitia hasn't got the skills to recognise them, but she may be able to describe it to people later.

Not sure how you want to do movement in the bar fight, but essentially she'll move with the following criteria:

Towards the exit.
Not provoking attacks of opportunity.
With a readied action to disarm anyone who attacks her or looks to be making for any of the party excluding Timmok with a weapon. I'll roll in the OOC thread the relevant rolls, because I apparently forgot to prior to submitting this post and therefore can't roll more dice.
Keeping near to the relatively squishy members of her group (i.e. trying to keep at least one of them within 5-feet, now that everything's gone all hazy; awesome use of that spell, by the way).

russdm
2014-05-05, 03:24 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mapofweek/jan2007/02_CompleteScoundrel_72_ppi_bn20.jpg

Differences from the picture and the Drunken Elf

(Okay this is best picture of an inn I liked. The Drunken Elf Inn's length is twice as big, with the area with the label saying "Taproom" being the sort of center of the expanded room with a table there where you are sitting. The table in to upper right is where Timmok jumped onto. The elves that Timmok pointed out are in the booth next to the Stairs leading to "Up to rooms". Just ignore the lower floor as its not really important at this time. The Inn in the picture is about 50 feet across, the Drunken elf inn is 100 feet across with the space filled in by tables with chairs. The fireplace is 100 feet across from the west wall/the wall behind the bar. The rest of the distance is the same, not modified. Black Helm is at the bottom of the stairs moving slowly into the main room.)

The Obscuring Mist will spread out and block vision. (It will spread out to encompass nearly the whole room despite the size being different, this is mainly because I didn't tell you beforehand anything about the room's size, so I am increasing the radius here)

For Kaitia

This elves seem to have a skull on arrows badge. You do notice another group of elves drawing their blades and attacking the Rapier wielding elves. Also, that the kobolds fled into the back room and kitchens while shrieking for the guard.

For the party: (This will have to change if Timmok decides to go mano-a-mano [toe to toe] with Black Helm)
Kaitia leads the party outside only having to fight off the occasional drunk. The ogre behind the bar grabs up a club and leaps into the mist, joining the fray.
While you stand outside, you hear banging sounds, the sounds of explosions and the sound of explosions.
Thugg stumbles out of the inn, looks at you, before collapsing with a bone-handle dagger in his back. He is followed by smoke billowing out. Looking through the open doors, you notice that the Inn's common room is now a mess. The evil elves and Black Helm are gone except for the 4 that lie dead.

The town guard arrives after a few moments. The leader, dressed in chain mail, approaches and demands to explain what happened here.

piercetbh
2014-05-05, 05:23 PM
"Don't look at us, sir... " Finnegan said, glancing at the Captain but not having the submission within him to raise his hands like an accused criminal. "We were just waiting for dinner when somebody had to go and get attention. Then it got a bit crazy...I just wanted roast duck, man."

Man on Fire
2014-05-06, 07:12 PM
"Could somebody with medical knowledge attend him? He might still be alive." Dominic points at the stabbed ogre, regretting not having any medical skill himself.
"A young Paladin of our group tried to, clumsily, investigate a group he found suspicious." He tells the guards. And sstops himself from adding "to put it mildly" after "clumsily". "Things got out of his hand and said suspicious individuals tried to turn the inn into a bloodbath."

[roll0] Diplomacy on guards, if necessary

chrisrawr
2014-05-07, 01:37 AM
Timmok gracefully rights himself, his sword up in another gleam of steel, aimed in an ever-moving flow between all the remaining evildoers.

"Guards! Thank the light you're here! Great evil is afoot, why haven't your clerics rooted it out?"

A look at the guards tells him they don't really know how to respond to the question.

His arm quivers. The sword falls.

"Divines, no... NOT THE CLERICS TOO!"

Amanil
2014-05-07, 04:14 AM
Kaitia nodded acknowledgement to one of the guards, electing to mostly remain quiet. Something she'd learned well was how easy it is to get yourself in to trouble by talking when you didn't have to. Besides, there were other matters to attend to; as the ogre came tumbling down, Kaitia was there as quickly as possible - as her companion called for assistance, she was already preparing to tear up clothing to make makeshift bandages to deal with the wound. Ensuring there were enough witnesses around - she had no intention of being called the bartender's attacker - she treated his injuries as best as possible.

I'm assuming the bartender isn't dead - from a game mechanics perspective, the fact that he staggered out of the inn makes me think he's likely at -1 HP and bleeding. If he's supposed to die for plot reasons, and his staggering out was for dramatic flair, I fully understand. Rolling several times, i.e. until he either stabilises or dies.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

russdm
2014-05-07, 02:00 PM
First off, I have a roll to make then posting what happens, I assume that Kaitia is removing the dagger, in order to bandage Thugg's wounds?

Secret DM Roll: [roll0]

Amanil
2014-05-07, 02:03 PM
First off, I have a roll to make then posting what happens, I assume that Kaitia is removing the dagger, in order to bandage Thugg's wounds?

Secret DM Roll: [roll0]

I expect she'll regret it, but I would imagine so.

russdm
2014-05-07, 03:21 PM
When Kaitia removes the dagger, it burns her with what appear to be black flames that surround her, this deals 5 points of unholy fire damage. After she drops the dagger, it continues to smoke.

Kaitia binds up Thugg's wounds so that he stops bleeding, but he remains unconscious.

The guards seeing the black flames around Kaitia call out "She's cursed!". Several run away while the remaining ones draw their swords. The guard in chain mail calls to the others to sheathe their swords and stop running, stating that it wasn't her and she isn't cursed. They come back warily and give her a wide berth. The guard in chain mail gives the dagger a dark glance before regarding Timmok curiously.

To Timmok: "Holy warrior, our clerics are coming to tend to the wounded and the dead. I see no sign of evil doers, only some dead elves. I do notice that you smell of ale, were you drinking heavily perhaps?"

chrisrawr
2014-05-07, 07:16 PM
"I slipped in the ale of patrons while attempting to engage in glorious holy battle - which is beside the point." He scrunches his face in concentration, trying to locate the Black Helm - there would be no words had with one so strongly mired in the Darkness. 'If only I had some magic missiles...'

Pending on if Timmok can sense the direction of GREAT EVIL, he will point the guards that way and probably pursue. If not, he will explain what happened and help them write up reports if they want. Timmok likes writing reports. They are Good and Righteous.

piercetbh
2014-05-07, 07:57 PM
Finnegan carefully watched the black flames that surrounded his ally, searching his mind for anything of use.

Knowledge checks to ID the black fire, or the big red dude we saw.
Arcana: [roll0]
History: [roll1]
Local: [roll2]
The Planes: [roll3]

Leaving Timmok to converse with the guards, he walked over to the smoking knife and removed his backpack.

"Detect Magic!"

As he slowly scanned the zone for auras, the young Wizard attempted to raise the strange knife towards him with his Prestidigitation. He carefully bumped his pack against the knife, not making contact with it himself, testing its self-defense.

Amanil
2014-05-08, 01:30 AM
Crying out slightly at the unexpected pain, Kaitia tossed the knife to one side. Recovering from the shock, she returned to binding the ogre's wounds, aware that his blood wouldn't wait on her. Once satisfied that he was at least mostly stable, she emptied her waterskin slowly over her burns, savouring the cool feeling as the water trickled and pooled over her palms.

"Remind me not to bring Timmok near a few of my friends; apparently they'll have earned the death sentence in his books," Kaitia quietly mumbled to Finnegan as he moved to examine the blade. "I've never seen anything like this before," she confessed, peering at it warily. "What sort of fire burns with no light?"

Suddenly aware that there may be others needing her help, she turned to the guard in chain mail. "Sergeant, may I tend to the wounded while we wait for the healers?" Bizarrely, she found herself standing at attention when making the request.

Given that Kaitia's background involves training in Darrow's militia, I assume she likely knows either who this man is or at least what rank he holds. I've placeholdered "Sergeant", if he's actually something else just let me know and I'll edit.

If he allows it, Kaitia will move carefully inside the inn, looking for any who are wounded/unconscious and tending to them as best she can. Making several Heal checks to deal with that. If he doesn't allow it, she'll want to say some choice words but will probably hold her tongue.

EDIT: rolls done in OOC thread

Man on Fire
2014-05-08, 08:57 AM
"Let me see that." Dominic says to Katia and begins inspecting first her hand and then the blade.

Spellcraft [roll0]
Knowdlege Arcana [roll1] Religion [roll2] Dungeoneering [roll3] the Planes [roll4] if any is relevant.

russdm
2014-05-08, 03:01 PM
Timmok: You can't sense any evil other than what is coming from the bone handled dagger that just burned your ally.

Finnegan: You think the red skin might be a sign that the big red dude is fiendish in some fashion perhaps descended from fiends. The symbols on big red dude, were ones identified with an evil death cult that had been destroyed (believed completely so) between the fall of the Red Hand and the creation of the Kingdom and Darrow, your home. The axe does have a history: there are references to a similar axe wielded by a dark paladin who was once a paladin that was said to have been awarded the axe as a gift by the dark gods. The Axe was named Doomcleaver, and it was especially dangerous to those good and holy (Goodbane, unholy). It has a known history of slaying strong righteous warriors. It might be the same one or it might be a copy, you couldn't tell.

The dagger resembles those worn by (un)holy warriors who served in the evil death cult. They are rumored to be cursed and capable of corrupting those who wield them and that they harm those who are not evil until they become evil (it stops burning them when turn nasty)and you have to touch the dagger for it to harm you.

You detect strong necromancy from the dagger, with moderate evocation. Also, you detect some necromancy and Evocation from Kaitia, but that is most likely from her touching the weapon.

Kaitia: You know the Sergeant as Sergeant Jones. He will you into the building with a guard to watch you. This guard is private Remy and he watches with concern as you tend to what still living wounded you find. There are at least 2 kobolds, one dwarf, one human, and an orc. The orc groggily thanks you for help and swears his life to you in whatever service you require. The Dwarf does the same, while the human and kobolds promise you favors.

Their names)
Duog, Orc
Khared, Dwarf
Menti, Human
Jinz, Kobold
Adin, Kobold

Dominic: Kaitia's hand was burned by fire, some kind of unholy fire. The area of her hand where she touched the dagger has been blackened and there are lightning like lines running up from her hand along her arm.

You think that the dagger is similar to those worn by arcane necromancers.

The dagger resembles those worn by (un)holy warriors who served in the evil death cult. They are rumored to be cursed and capable of corrupting those who wield them and that they harm those who are not evil until they become evil (it stops burning them when turn nasty)and you have to touch the dagger for it to harm you.

The dagger appears to be like those used by the priests Krysis, the god of evil. Krysis appears as a skeletal figure/dragon and his symbol is a laughing skull. He is worshipped by evil-doers and evil necromancers and such like. He is one of the main powers of the dark gods, who are the gods of evil. His closest ally is the Spider Goddess (Lolth), who calls evil elves to her service. She was served by dark elves in the past, but when they fell she simply moved on to seducing elves to replace her fallen followers. Other dark gods include the god of plagues, Mortis, or such other foul beings. The holy orders/temples of the Kingdom having been trying to stamp out the worship of the dark gods unsuccessfully for years. Worshippers of Krysis build bone chapels and conduct dark rituals in his name.

The dark gods promise in exchange for service and tend to be quite willing to accept anyone, even paladins sworn to destroy their servants. They imbue holy warriors with their powers even though any such holy paladin would refuse such powers. They enjoy giving out dark gifts whether or not they end up being used or forgotten. Worshippers of the dark gods tend to lurk in the shadows and establish secret shrines and conduct rituals at times that allow the worshippers to engage in dark acts while leaving their comrades none the wiser.

The bone in the dagger's handle is that of what could have belonged to a human child. It is small enough and developed that it could have been that, or a cow's bone, though the death cults don't use anything but human bones in their riturals.

Amanil
2014-05-08, 03:19 PM
"You are most welcome, friend." Kaitia told Khared in his own language as she scanned about for more wounded, wiping blood from her brow. The kobolds had proven somewhat tricky to stabilise - their anatomy was unfamiliar to her - but they bled like everyone else, and their bones broke just the same. Duog she'd almost glanced over, but though he was an orc he had done nothing today to deserve this, and as she felt slightly responsible for the event due to the company of Timmok she eased her conscience by treating him just as the rest. There was certainly a nagging doubt in the back of her mind about her views on orcs, particularly given the trouble caused by elves so far today, but that could wait.

With the wounded tended to as best she could, Kaitia scanned about the inn, looking for anything that hinted at the source of the explosion - a common point which shrapnel burst outward from, charring on one side of furniture, anything which could give some clue as to what it was that caused something so unusual in barfights as she asked Remy to help her get one of the wounded outside.

Making both a Search and a Survival roll to see if she can find the centre of the explosion and anything to do with what caused it - I figure tracking is relevant to this sort of thing, but if you feel otherwise then ignore it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

piercetbh
2014-05-08, 04:26 PM
"Don't touch this thing, anyone, it's not safe," Finnegan said before relaying what he had remembered.

The weakness of this thing, though, was that he could leave it in his backpack and it wouldn't burn him. The boy wizard opened a small, empty section on his pack and floated the dagger in, shutting the flap and zipping it closed. He made a mental note to Identify it later, like he had read in his notes, to find out if it had already effected Kaitia. Identifying was expensive, though, and so it could wait.

chrisrawr
2014-05-08, 07:47 PM
"Also evil," Timmok adds with a nod.

Man on Fire
2014-05-09, 05:12 AM
"You may not be far off, my friend." Dominic says to Timmuk. "It appears to be a weapon used by unholy champions and necromatic worshippers of accursed Krysis, god of evil. Weapons like that are created to corrupt the wielder, by punishing him for acting in non-evil way, as we have seen with Kaitia. It might have been what tipped Timmuk's senses, thus creating the whole situation." He stops for a moment, thinking intensively. "Seeing it in the hands of Elves suggest that Spider Godess might be involved, setting her schemes to corrupt another group of their kind. But I cannto be sure, after all dark gods revel in making good souls stray into the path of evil." He thinks loudly.
"Also, this weapon was probably made from bones of human child." He mentiosn casually.

russdm
2014-05-12, 07:04 PM
Several clerics arrive and are escorted into the building. They begin to remove the bodies with assistance from others. The Kobolds poke their heads and ask if the madness is over.

A large burly kobold comes up to you and demands to know who is going to pay for damages to his inn.

The guards haul away the knocked out elves while one of the guards with the clerics asks for you to describe what happened.

chrisrawr
2014-05-14, 06:47 PM
Timmok eyes the Clerics warily, certain that their lack of vigilance was the ultimate cause of Evil being allowed to gain footing in the town. Simply dousing the well with Holy Water daily would've been enough to retain some state of Purity.

"Your Inn was a home to Great Evil, Master Kobold. Perhaps you should seek your recoup from the Elves those guardsmen are dragging away?"

russdm
2014-05-15, 03:00 PM
The master Kobold glares at Timmok. "But you were the one that caused the riot by jumping on the table and shouting about evil according to my waiters."

chrisrawr
2014-05-15, 05:58 PM
"And if you policed your doors, Master Kobold, there would be no Evil to shout about." The E was definitely capitalized as Timmok spoke, wondering what the issue was. It seemed simple, to him, that if all places of succour would turn away those who would do Evil, then Evil would lose its footings in all places of succour. An Amulet to detect the presence of Evil-doers would more than make up for the lost patronage in reputation and security.

Seeing the Kobold's scowl, he feels pressured to add, "I am no craftsman, Master Kobold, but if you seek aid rebuilding I will do what I can - though, my talents lie mostly in Crushing Evil than Building Good."

russdm
2014-05-17, 07:59 PM
The kobold glares at Timmok some more, before throwing his hands up. "Fine, I will take my problems to the town guard and they will take care of this matter." He begins walking away.

A figure dressed in holy armor comes up to you and glances down at the kobold. "I am Horus, a paladin in the some order as my riot causing friend here. Perhaps some kind of payment is in order? Perhaps if you were to put forth some complaints regarding the town's "no divinations" policy and arrange an exemption for your bar, that could keep this sort of thing from happening again."

The kobold looks at Horus, then nods. Horus hands him a bag of money and the kobold walks away. Horus regards you, then smiles softly. "Well, you certainly seem to be doing a fine job of causing trouble. The gods must really like you to mess with you so much."

Horus seems very approachable and charming.

chrisrawr
2014-05-17, 11:25 PM
'Finally, a follower of the Light!'

Timmok regards the man admiringly, seeing the care and effort put into keeping clean and serviceable his decorum. Few others mind their plates and mails as well as those from the Order - but a Paladin knows that filth and mud offer Evil leverage into your body, through battle if not action.

"By the Light, well met. Indeed, the Gods have favoured me a Crusade, a darkness most foul to be sought out in the lands nearby. Barely he slipped from my grasp, as I lay wallowing on the floor from my own misfortune."

Timmok gestures to his companions, "But my manners have must have remained on the floor, for I've yet to introduce myself or these fine few whose steel and blood have fought beside my own."

A short introduction ensues, during which time the others are offered a chance to speak.

Man on Fire
2014-05-18, 07:47 AM
"In spare time remind me I need to take Timmuk aside and have a long talk with him." Dominic says to Kaitia, visibly frustrated. "Prefferably when he is defensless and under a weakening spell."

russdm
2014-05-18, 06:24 PM
(OOC: Kaitia is not outside with you, she is the upstairs floor of the Inn)

IC: Horus studies Timmok with interest. "What evil do you speak of, fellow paladin? What did you encounter in this place?"

Amanil
2014-05-19, 02:31 AM
From outside the inn, Kaitia's voice can be heard calling out. She does not sound panicked, more simply concerned.

"Cleric! I need a cleric up here!"

russdm
2014-05-21, 09:33 PM
For Kaitia Only, requires Listen checks for the others:

You hear footsteps, then a cold voice speak to you. "There are no clerics here to help you on your way, my lady." Turning, you see a man dressed in scale mail holding what looks to be a flail and a big shield with a bright picture of a skull on it. He smiles at you as he brings his flail back to strike at you.

"Hail, Krysis!" He yells.

Flail Assault: [roll0]

Damage if hit: [roll1]

Amanil
2014-05-22, 03:26 AM
"F*** Krysis!" Kaitia declares, ducking under the flail with ease and drawing her own double-handed one. She struck at the weapon he wielded, attempting to wrap the chain of her own flail around it.

Disarm; opposed attack roll: [roll0] (+4 attack roll, +4 Improved Disarm, +2 for flail, +4 for two-handed weapon)

Regarding the opposed roll her attacker needs to make, quoting the D&D Wiki (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Flail).

With a flail, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an enemy (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).
Groups I've been part of previously have interpreted this as the bonus only applying to the one attempting to do the disarm, not the one being disarmed (else we feel it would say "+2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an enemy or avoid being disarmed (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails)"). Feel free to rule either way.

Man on Fire
2014-05-22, 06:40 AM
Dominic hears Katia calling for a cleric, and grab nearest one who is free, offering to escort him to her, just in case.

No, no listen checks or anything, Dominic is unaware of the attacker

russdm
2014-05-22, 03:42 PM
Kaitia: You disarm the cleric, who cast a spell. (Concentration for spell [roll0])
The spell attempt fizzles and so the cleric draws a short sword out.

Dominic: The cleric, a young human woman wearing a holy symbol of Pelor nods to your request and will join you.

chrisrawr
2014-05-22, 07:29 PM
Timmok, left hanging in the middle of his introduction, gives an apologetic glance to his fellow Paladin, before rushing off to join his companions. He doens't know what's going on, but loyalty compels him to follow his distraught friend.

"Wait for me! What rush has befallen you?"

Amanil
2014-05-23, 05:28 AM
"Looks like Krysis isn't with you today." Kaitia smirked, swinging her flail carefully from side-to-side. "Half of the town guard is downstairs. You're not escaping like that cowardly red-skinned friend of yours. Stand down, and you might see tomorrow."

Talking is mostly for fluff, not expecting any skill roll out of it (the guy's clearly a fanatic). Kaitia is readying an action to disarm the cleric, triggered by any action that is either clearly offensive or spellcasting, looking to disarm him of whatever he is using for that particular action (his sword if he attempts to swing, his (un)holy symbol if he attempts to cast a spell). If he moves back 5-feet to spellcast, she'll close as part of the action (she hasn't moved this turn).

For convenience, opposed roll is below:

[roll0] (+3 strength modifier, +1 BAB, +4 Improved Disarm, +4 two-handed weapon, +2 flail)

russdm
2014-05-23, 01:12 PM
His roll: [roll0]

You manage to disarm him again. He is rather annoyed with this, but hey, its really funny for me.

russdm
2014-05-23, 01:17 PM
Concentration check for spellcasting ([roll0]) He is using the unholy symbol on his shield for casting. So that spell doesn't work at all. (He is not doing good at spell casting.)

piercetbh
2014-05-23, 05:35 PM
"What's all this, then?" Replacing the pack of belongings on his back, Finnegan stood and moved back in to the inn with Timmok to witness whatever was occurring inside. He performed a flurry of quick seals with one hand, reaching for his Quarterstaff with the other. Completing his spell with a quick incantation, he summoned a field of invisible force around him to protect him from the dangers of combat.

Casting Mage Armor

Amanil
2014-05-24, 07:47 AM
I'm assuming I have another round at least of just me against the cleric before anyone else intercedes, and I believe it's my turn? As far as I can tell he's currently not armed. If that's not the case, I'll need to change my actions.
Satisfied with her progress so far, and finding the cleric's evident lack of faith entertaining, Kaitia swings her flail low, looking to wrap it about one of her opponent's legs.

Going for a trip attack:

[roll0]
If that hits: [roll1]
If the opposed roll fails, Kaitia's opposed roll to avoid dropping her flail: [roll2]

russdm
2014-05-28, 07:38 PM
Kaitia grabs the guy with the flail. His opposed grapple check: [roll0]

So Kaitia fails to trip the guy, but still has her flail wrapped around his foot. He looks amused as he pulls out a vial and holds it up. It looks it has a green liquid in it and has markings from the local dragon bank stamped on it. (The Dragon Bank sells various objects like some potions and magic items, as well as holding a monopoly on future technologies like Gunpowder and muskets. Currently, the kobolds of the Dragon Bank sell the gunpowder in fireworks, not yet developed weaponry like muskets.)

(What are the others doing?)

Man on Fire
2014-05-30, 07:11 AM
Dominic leads cleric towards Katia's voice.
Listen check to try to hear her again [roll0]

EDIT:
Hearing sounds of fighting, Dominic rushes fast towards them, giving Cleric a nod to follow him but stay quiet.
He readies his crossbow, prepared to aid his commrade, whatever is attacking her.

russdm
2014-06-06, 05:53 AM
The party commits collective suicide due to inaction. This game has officially ended with a week of no responses and very limited responsiveness anyway.