PDA

View Full Version : This is it. The End.

D20ragon
2014-04-26, 10:29 PM
The OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?344689-The-End-OOC&p=17375009#post17375009)

At the center of all worlds, so they say, is a clock.
These clocks were wound when time began, and have been running ever since, on and on, the steady ticking of their hands marking the heartbeats of the multiverse.
But all things come to an end, and all clocks wind down.
Time is running out, the last grains of sand are trickling through the glass. The lifespan of our worlds are measured in days, not millennia.
And the clocks still tick, winding themselves down with frantic suicidal haste.
What will you do when the Doomsday Clock stands at Five to Twelve?

Where will you be when the worlds end?

Three days ago, you received an invitation to the Extraordinary Mansion. Only a select few, Gods and Devils, Demons and Dragons ever enter there, and none know what goes on behind its ornate doors.
The invitation reads
Dear Extraordinary Individual. The Master of the Mansion wishes to experience the pleasure of your company.
Please arrive in no shorter then three days time. The address is: Right Where It Should Be.
Forever yours, The Master.

drack
2014-04-26, 10:43 PM
Wolfy, arriving a full five minuets early, lounges comfortably upon upon the mansion's "lawn", waiting as if to see whom else might arrive.

greenpotato
2014-04-27, 05:55 PM
A white mouse creeps warily into the mansion. Sniffing at the air.

drack
2014-04-27, 06:02 PM
"Mouse!" The Wolf demands at the sight of the creature. "Tell me, what is this place?"

greenpotato
2014-04-27, 06:22 PM
The mouse freezes in it's tracks and doesn't move a muscle, then it's eyes search around the room and it starts to breath again. "A big house, is it not your house Mr Wolf?"

drack
2014-04-27, 07:26 PM
"My house?!" The wolf laughs menacingly. "Look about you mouse, all that you see is my house!

And where is your house little mouse."

greenpotato
2014-04-27, 10:34 PM
"The House of this Mouse lies far to the south, deep in forest its keep made of trees you could come and see it if you please"

drack
2014-04-28, 06:28 AM
The wolf nods acknowledging the offer. "Who is it then who claims mastery of this house?" The wolf asks as it rises.

Standing the wolf is as large as an elephant with raven black fur and savage eyes that all the same bespeak intelligence. Striding calmly to the door, the wolf pounds thrice upon it with a big bushy tail.

greenpotato
2014-04-28, 06:41 AM
The mouse creeps along behind the wolf as he assails the door.

D20ragon
2014-04-28, 06:41 AM
The door is fashioned to resemble a elephants head, ears spreading into the walls of the sprawling mansion, stretching further then you can see to either side. Rambling here and there, elvish tree-shaping and screaming souls characteristic of diabolic architecture are all visible. The tallest of its ivy wrapped towers disappears into the clouds, and how far back the mansion goes you cannot guess, as your heavy knock echoes through its myriad halls.
The elephants trunk raises and sounds a blast as loud as if an entire brass band played one note at once.
And who are you to question the master?
The voice rolls out of the music, a deep, sad voice, full of importance.

drack
2014-04-28, 06:51 AM
The wolf winces at the sound of the blast, close to her ear as it was, a deep grown flowing through her as she resists the instinct to crush the pointless monument. Again she stings her tail thrice to the door.

WebTiefling
2014-04-28, 09:45 AM
With a shimmer of air, a golem walks into the room from ... somewhere. Shadows seem to roll off of him like steam.

"Answering with brute force is pointless."

Tiny clicks follow Visigoth's trail, not quite in time with his steps, and a closer inspection notes several small mechanical creatures crawling through the metal skeleton of his torso, clicking and tinking as their multitude of legs climb throughout his body.

"There was clear interrogatory. It should be answered clearly."

The precise metronome of each syllable clipping at a perfectly steady pace and even tone. A small click follows each statement.

"I am one who was invited. Visigoth v' Areet. It is the appointed time of arrival. I am here."

drack
2014-04-28, 09:53 AM
"It is polite to knock before entering, something I'd hardly expect a mechanical doll to understand. As for introductions..." The wolf seems to laugh cynically. "Well if you go about introducing yourself to every decoration you see, you'll probably stay up there on the shelf with the other dolls for quite some time. Sure you don't want to address yourself to the carpeting too?"

Gonna have to get wolfy's personality right at some point in here. Been a while. =\

WebTiefling
2014-04-28, 10:21 AM
Visigoth's head doesn't shift from addressing the door, but his voice is clearly aimed at the rather dense wolf.

"The carpet is not sentient at the moment; addressing my greeting to its owner it would serve no purpose. Likewise, replying to a verbal question with further knocking fails to serve a purpose. My estimation of the master of this domain who has invited you keeps me from questioning your worth.

"The master here is theoretically capable of mistakes. If your presence here is one, do you best to conceal that fact. I do not want you wasting my valuable time with vim." Click.

These words are delivered in the same metronome-like cadence as those aimed at the door. The slight clicks at the end of each sentence are the only variance. Some are louder, some are softer - giving emphasis to some sentences. The final sentence receives the loudest click.

drack
2014-04-28, 12:46 PM
What was the world coming to where even mechanical dolls cared for the loss of this superficial "time". Wolfy continues to grin, a grin somewhere between playful and mocking. "How do you know the carpet is sentient, and why would you assume the door is? Are you hearing voices between those bent teeth that serve as your 'higher functions'?"

WebTiefling
2014-04-28, 02:41 PM
There is a pause as the Shadesteel golem stands immobile.

I stated the carpet is not sentient.
I have examined carpet for sentience.
Wolf declares it is sentient.
Possible error in examination. Re-examining carpet. No sentience detected.
Possibility of joke. Estimate 0.0002%.
Possibility of examination error. 0.0000333%
Possibility of wolf's hearing defect. 0.125%
When the impossible has been eliminated, whatever is left, no matter how improbable must be true.

I have not stated the door is sentient.
The wolf has stated I assume it is sentient.
Suggests I hear voices in my head. Possible projection of self.
Possibility of wolf's insanity. 12.5%
Factor into calculation of wolf's chance of hearing loss.
Possibility of wolf's hearing defect. 5.625%

Some sentients are angered by suggestions of insanity. Eliminate possibility of hearing handicap first.
The silence stretches on for a moment too long, and then "Are you hard of hearing?"

rweird
2014-04-28, 03:27 PM
As this discussion was going on, an unnaturally tall man was strolling up to join the group… Strolling, as it appeared a leisurely walk, although it was fast, it didn't so much appear the man moved quickly, as the world was twisting itself so a few steps could go a great distance.

The "man" does not appear all that extraordinary compared to the others, in fact, he'd look rather like a tramp, with tangled vines woven into a robe, his hair a tangled brown, and being dusty, as if he walked far. The only signs, besides the way he "strolled" that there was something more to him, was his impressive height of 7'2", and his pupils, blazing like setting suns.

Ignoring the conversation, he approaches the door, peering inside the mansion with some curiosity, before knocking softly.

drack
2014-04-28, 04:43 PM
The wolf casts a lazy glance at the man before replying just as lazily"No."

greenpotato
2014-04-29, 03:35 AM
The little white mouse changes shape, turning into a minute little white elk no bigger than the mouse it was a moment ago.
"I am known as the Intay of the Yewfort, The Horns of the Soul and Herald of the Hand of the Four Winds" The tiny horned mammal squeaks at the great door.

D20ragon
2014-04-29, 09:46 PM
Ahhhhh....
The voice's sigh sounds like a sobbing breeze.
You and your companions do seem to be on the guest list.
The elephant door swings wide, revealing another set of double doors, which open as well.
Please, enter. We've been waiting, and tea is served.

WebTiefling
2014-04-30, 11:38 AM
'Insane. Treat carefully until nature of insanity is determined,' Visigoth thinks.

As the doors open, Visigoth lifts from the floor a few inches and floats forward through the doors.

"A biological host," he speaks. The largest of the constructs crawling through his body crawls up under his cloak and settles across the base of his neck under the cloak, forming an angular mass, but once it is there it seems no different from the other angular metal aspects of his body. The other, smaller things stop crawling around and settle into little nooks and crannies among his ribs and hips.

drack
2014-04-30, 05:22 PM
The wolf follows, vanishing before it even makes it to the entrance way.

Heh, got hide stuff but not darkstalker =\ odd.
hide [roll0]

rweird
2014-04-30, 06:55 PM
The wild-haired man enters as well. "Or realizes that some of us are." He comments to Visigoth absent-mindedly "Or can alter its form to consume tea, although inorganic."

D20ragon
2014-05-01, 08:45 PM
The room beyond the double doors is a small one, square, with a high ceiling and a devil-craft rug on the floor.
Dim light shines down from the small crystal chandelier above, it's twelve arms each supporting a glowing planet.
A small green door with a brass handle lays at the end of the room.

drack
2014-05-03, 05:52 PM
A small luminous figure drifts up from the floor before the door, and casually attempts to open it.

greenpotato
2014-05-03, 06:35 PM
The minute little white deer trots towards the door with it's head held high.

D20ragon
2014-05-04, 09:07 PM
The handle writhes beneath the shining beings hand, a grinning face forming in the brass, crooked and wrinkled as a old apple with long sharp teeth like knives.
And I suppose you weren't even going to knock, were you? Hmmmm?

drack
2014-05-04, 09:12 PM
"No sir." The man replies. "Just open the door."

D20ragon
2014-05-04, 09:24 PM
Well, why should I be polite, when you don't have to?
The handle says sulkily.

drack
2014-05-04, 10:03 PM
"You needn't be polite sir." The glowing man replies. "You need only not impede my opening this door."

rweird
2014-05-05, 06:01 AM
"Once entering a house, if invited in at the front door, I haven not found it to be normal to knock again on a door in the antechamber, but rather to continue in, unless someone is in the antechamber, in which case, it is typical for them to invite one in. Is it custom in this place to knock at every door?"

WebTiefling
2014-05-05, 09:13 AM
"We may be expected to wait for the appearance of our host here," the metal tones of Visigoth click. He keeps an eye on the wolf as it skulks about, noting its actions and changes. Insanity was difficult to accurately model and predict and so needed to be carefully monitored.

The handle's actions and words had surprised him as he was focused on the wolf creature's movements. He addressed the door, "Are you a master of this house, or would you tell me if a master will meet us here?"

Visigoth's mind clicks through and begins examining the door more carefully - is it a self-contained magical item, is something speaking through the door, is it a part of the whole house which might be sentient, are the house and the master of the house separate concepts? While creatures based on social norms of biologicals might expect a door or carpet to be merely functional, he was under no such misconception. When the limitations of the body were dropped, few possibilities were beyond consideration.

He would consider each one in turn, assign it a probability based on his observations, and act accordingly.

+86 to Spot check sees Wolf's actions.

D20ragon
2014-05-07, 09:07 PM
The door seems to be merely enchanted, a small animate object, though unusually intelligent.
I'm just saying, I'd appreciate some respect! Just cause I'm a door doesn't mean I don't have feelings.
And unusually demanding.
The door pauses mid pout, it's face contouring most interestingly.
All right, you got lucky. Apparently, you're on the guest list. We'll have to check, of course, but you should be clear.
Their is a quiet shattering sound, along with the noise of a deadbolt being drawn back.

drack
2014-05-07, 09:09 PM
"See, you know how to be rude, good for you!" The glowing man adds before fading from sight.

WebTiefling
2014-05-09, 11:27 AM
Regardless of the inherent intelligence of the door, Visigoth replies to it as he opens up the door, careful to not scratch it with his metal hands.

"The worlds are still primarily inhabited by crude biologicals who lack understanding. It will not be ever so. *tkk* Patience. *tkk*"

Visigoth continues through, carefully suppressing his antimagic capabilities to not disrupt the door's existence.

rweird
2014-05-13, 07:40 PM
The wild-haired man lets out a heartily laugh at Visigoth's comment, biting back any sort of comment to the door, seeing as it is ignoring him, and walks through the door.

D20ragon
2014-05-14, 12:27 PM
A long hall stretches before you, shining mahogany floors vanishing off in the distance. The walls are burnished brass, almost every square inch engraved with monstrous figures. Dragons, trolls, beholders, griffins, and far odder creatures snarl, pose, and fight along the huge length of the hallway.
The roof is vaulted, so high it is a mere blur.

WebTiefling
2014-05-14, 01:18 PM
Visigoth continues striding along the hallways, looking about for anything that might give a hint of the master's nature, but otherwise just walking along the hallway.

rweird
2014-05-14, 01:51 PM
The wild-haired man continues down the hallway, legs unmoving, being carried by some force, looking at the engravings with mild interest, tapping his foot impatiently. Thinking about the situation, a fair bit more interesting than he let on.

Probably wants to impress us with the grandeur, or observe us before It meets us, though seeing as how foolish that door was, and presumably the door being this "Master's" creation, the idea of not making an absurdly long hallway, and however many empty rooms in the path to where we'll meet may not have crossed the "Master's" mind. Perhaps it is less spatially constrained than we are having the courtesy of being, and didn't realize we might think it impolite to act without such constraints without permission in another's home.

greenpotato
2014-05-15, 04:34 AM
The tiny elk prances along after the others.