PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spells for curing genetic/inborn deformities?

Soarel
2014-04-27, 01:17 AM
I'm currently running a homebrew adventure in which a town in which most, if not all, of the people who inhabit it are physically deformed in some way. While outsiders see the town as a bunch of inbred hicks, the town is in fact cursed by the presence of a hezrou demon imprisoned beneath it.

The issue here is that once the hezrou is slain, the townspeople are cured of their deformities in some way. Instead of doing an ass-pull and having the deformities instantly cured, I want the PCs to discover a way to cure them.

So, are there any spells in 3.5/Pathfinder that can cure deformities? These are deformities inborn in people genetically, and are treated the same as if they came from inbreeding or random chance.

hymer
2014-04-27, 03:38 AM
Since there are no rules about deformities (other than some feats, I think), there are also no rules on how to get rid of them. You'll have to decide for yourself. There are some spells which smack of the sort of thing you're talking about. If you rule the deformities to be a disease, then cure disease will (unsurprisingly) cure it. Regeneration might be another possibility.
The question of the cure, I think, is a question of the ailment. How did the hezrou cause this? If it was in a sort-of-general-him-being-there-ya-know-caused-them-to-deform, then I see no reason why the deformities shouldn't gradually disappear on their own when he's gone. If he did something specific to cause this, that's the sort of thing the cure should be dealing with. If he polluted the ground water, some sort of cleansing ceremony of the water and the people would seem to be in order, e.g.

Inevitability
2014-04-27, 04:18 AM
There's a way to cure inborn deformities, available from level 7 on.

It's very simple; first, you need a fighter with a sharp object.
Second, you need a druid who has prepared reincarnate...

Flame of Anor
2014-04-27, 05:44 AM
A regenerate or heal spell might do it. If it's magical, a remove curse or break enchantment. I checked in the BoVD, but that's all about getting deformities, not removing them.

Alleran
2014-04-27, 05:52 AM

The fighter is superfluous, since the druid has his animal companion.

molten_dragon
2014-04-27, 06:13 AM

Except I'm guessing most of them probably don't want to have to die first, lose a level, and then come back to life as a random race.

My first thought was some magic-enhanced plastic surgery. Once it's dead, simply render each person unconscious with drow poison, cut off the deformed body part, then cast regenerate on them. With the demon gone, when it's regenerated it should no longer be deformed.

Or let your players do all the work. Don't go into it with a right answer, let them think it over and just let their most clever idea work.

Sian
2014-04-27, 06:16 AM
I'd suggest Restoration...

Inevitability
2014-04-27, 06:32 AM
Except I'm guessing most of them probably don't want to have to die first, lose a level, and then come back to life as a random race.

My first thought was some magic-enhanced plastic surgery. Once it's dead, simply render each person unconscious with drow poison, cut off the deformed body part, then cast regenerate on them. With the demon gone, when it's regenerated it should no longer be deformed.

Or let your players do all the work. Don't go into it with a right answer, let them think it over and just let their most clever idea work.

I was joking. :smallwink: