PDA

View Full Version : How fast can you run?

Bluydee
2014-04-27, 09:27 AM
This was a question I wanted to know. How fast can you make your character run? I know about Were-Cheetah, and the obvious fast movement, but what other things can you use to run fast?

Vogonjeltz
2014-04-27, 09:44 AM
You mean, if you were building a character specifically for speed?

Probably a monk for the +60 movement and the Run feat for 450' a round.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 09:47 AM
According to this build (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1141886) and the accompanying thread to follow, it's not hard to get one's running speed up to over 9000'.

Necroticplague
2014-04-27, 09:56 AM
I remember reading the record for this before, that actually managed to exceed light-speed. Basically, their's a spell that gives you a movement boost for a bit. You can end the spell to give a much bigger boost for one turn based on how much time is left. Thus, persist it then burn it off all in one turn. Forget the name of the spell, though, and their was a bit more, but that's the gist of it.

Morof Stonehands
2014-04-27, 11:05 AM
That spell is Footsteps of the Divine, and it doesn't work with Persist Spell since it can be discharged, which is a type of spell that the feat says can't be persisted.

Some other ways of gaining speed:

Dash feat

Quick Trait

Celerity Domain

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 11:13 AM
Nevermind. That's not the one I was looking for.

Chuck E. Cheese the Ruby Knight Vindicator (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2548.0). However, the errata for Complete Champion pits the rules against the build working.

Necroticplague
2014-04-27, 12:04 PM
That spell is Footsteps of the Divine, and it doesn't work with Persist Spell since it can be discharged, which is a type of spell that the feat says can't be persisted.

Except the spell isn't a spell that's discharged, since
A:its duration is simply "1 round/CL", not "1round/cl or until discharged"
B:the spell continues (if only for one round) after you "expend" it, which makes it unlike discharged spells, which end once you discharge them right then.

Vogonjeltz
2014-04-27, 12:25 PM
According to this build (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1141886) and the accompanying thread to follow, it's not hard to get one's running speed up to over 9000'.

According to the linked thread that's a charge action at up to 900' (not 9000'). In any case one cannot charge without a target, and it works once per hour (use of wild shape)

Given that this requires at least 5 levels in Druid to do even once a day, I wouldn't call it "easy".

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I misquoted the speed. However, the idea is that you charge at someone with leap attack, jump an obscene distance into the air requiring multiple rounds to come down, during which the individual leaves the square they were previously in. I didn't say it was particularly easy, just not hard, since it's getting there well before level 20. Before 15, if I remember correctly.

Phelix-Mu
2014-04-27, 01:04 PM
This was a question I wanted to know. How fast can you make your character run? I know about Were-Cheetah, and the obvious fast movement, but what other things can you use to run fast?

Boots of swiftness, from the Epic Level Handbook and the SRD, doubles one's movement speed, including non-magical bonuses (which includes the monks). This allows a monk to move stupidly fast at high levels on a constant basis. Strategic dips in other PrCs that grant Fast Movement can probably further the crazy speeds. My level 21 wiz/monk was moving at 180' per round without spells. Not too shabby.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 01:18 PM
Ex-Barbarian Scout Monk Fist of the Forest Cloud Anchorite Dervish Somehow dipping into Sacred Fist!

Not sure HOW one would get there, but it's a thing!

Maybe even another Junkyard Wars competition!

Oooh! With Druidic Avenger in there too! THAT'S HOW!

So something to the effect of Ex-Barbarian 1/Fighter 1/Druidic Avenger 5/Monk 3/Fist of the Forest 1/Cloud Anchorite 4/Dervish 2/Sacred Fist 3.

Maybe not in that order, but something like that. It would give you something to the effect of a move speed of Race +70, and give you the Wild Shape you'd need to get to Cheetah's Speed. Don't go for any variant Barbarians however because you'd lose out on Fast Movement. Get a 30' (or higher) race, and you're looking at being able to RUN 500 feet with the feat per round, and with Cheetah's Speed you'd be looking at an even 1000' per round. Tack on items and spells and you'd be pretty much set.

Buuuuuuuut that's all I've got in my head on that.

Valwyn
2014-04-27, 02:02 PM
I once built an elf who could run up to 120 ft without magic (if he wore armor, his speed dropped to 110 ft). He was a Scout 3/Monk 3/Ranger 3/Druid 1/Barbarian 1/Thief Acrobat 1/Wildrunner 1/Forest Reeve 1/Fist of the Forest 1/Dervish 5. He had BAB 16, decent saves (lowest was Will 10) and could move through the battlefield pretty well thanks to his Thief Acrobat level. Never actually tried him, though, so I'm not sure how effective he was.

Shadus
2014-04-27, 02:15 PM
Shadow template increases a creatures speed by X1.5 it's base land speed.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 02:32 PM
I once built an elf who could run up to 120 ft without magic (if he wore armor, his speed dropped to 110 ft). He was a Scout 3/Monk 3/Ranger 3/Druid 1/Barbarian 1/Thief Acrobat 1/Wildrunner 1/Forest Reeve 1/Fist of the Forest 1/Dervish 5. He had BAB 16, decent saves (lowest was Will 10) and could move through the battlefield pretty well thanks to his Thief Acrobat level. Never actually tried him, though, so I'm not sure how effective he was.

Ex-Monk or Ex-Barbarian?

EDIT: So if we slapped the Shadow Template (somewhere) onto the build I presented, we'd be looking at something to the tune of a move speed of 150' while walking, running at 750' (run feat) or 1500' with Cheetah's Speed.

Zetapup
2014-04-27, 02:39 PM
Ex-Monk or Ex-Barbarian?

EDIT: So if we slapped the Shadow Template (somewhere) onto the build I presented, we'd be looking at something to the tune of a move speed of 150' while walking, running at 750' (run feat) or 1500' with Cheetah's Speed.

Add in the dark template for an extra 10 feet to speed and the feathered wings graft for twice your normal land speed average manueverability flight (I'm not quite sure what counts as "normal land speed", but eh)

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 02:44 PM
So that's 160' and doubled by Boots of Swiftness, which gives us a single move action spanning 320', running at x5 for 1600'. Unfortunately, Cheetah's Speed isn't as good as it appears, since it puts your base speed equal to 50'. Which would mean that you'd be able to Cheetah Sprint at the same rate as the above setup, and it wouldn't require a loss of a Wildshape.

EDIT: Unless Cheetah's Speed actually pertains to the racial base speed unmodified by any templates. If that's the case, it ends up working out to around 3500' at a full run, or 350' for a single move action.

Forrestfire
2014-04-27, 02:53 PM
Don't forget to grab a Rapid Wrath and double your speed yet again.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 03:00 PM
I don't know, but I don't think Rapid Wrath and Boots of Swiftness stack.

EDIT: Also, the Quick trait which puts another 10' on there. So we're at 360' or 3600' with Cheetah's Speed. 600 feet per second ain't bad, right?

EDIT 2: Electric Boogaloo:

My math is wrong! Let me sum it up below.

(((50 (base speed with Cheetah's Speed) + 10 (Dark Template) + 10 (Quick Trait)) * 1.5 (Shadow Template) +70 (class fast movements) * 2 (Boots of Swiftness))) * 10 (Cheetah's Speed Running) = 2100.

With Footsteps of the Divine, we're looking at adding 50 using Fharlanghn's option to base speed, which cranks it up to:

(((50 (base speed with Cheetah's Speed) + 50 (Footsteps of the Divine) + 10 (Dark Template) + 10 (Quick Trait)) * 1.5 (Shadow Template) + 70 (Class Fast Movements) * 2 (Boots of Swiftness))) * 10 (Cheetah's Speed Running) = 5000.

NOW. I don't think Boots of Swiftness and Footsteps of the Divine stack. Now, Rapid Wrath has no text saying the same IIRC, though YMMV.

Forrestfire
2014-04-27, 03:17 PM
Ah, so they don't. At that point, I think I'd rather have a Rapid Wrath, which does stack with any speed enhancers, unlike the Boots.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 03:25 PM
Ah, so they don't. At that point, I think I'd rather have a Rapid Wrath, which does stack with any speed enhancers, unlike the Boots.

Including, if I read correctly, Haste, which would add 30 to the previous speed, bringing us to a max speed running of 5900'.

Sticky question: Do all Fast Movements and Haste stack, since they're all Enhancement mods? That could derail the majority of this line of thought.

Grayson01
2014-04-27, 03:27 PM
according to this build (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1141886) and the accompanying thread to follow, it's not hard to get one's running speed up to over 9000'.

over 9000!!!!!!

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 03:31 PM
We're pretty close to having a build that can break the sound barrier at sea level if the situations are right, if only we could farm just a little more out of this without having to change race, since Cheetah's Speed puts the base speed at 50 regardless of where it was beforehand.

And again, all of this is utilizing a very loose reading of a few of the rules, too.

Sith_Happens
2014-04-27, 03:31 PM
Martial Stance feat for Absolut Steel adds 10 feet.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 03:38 PM
Martial Stance feat for Absolut Steel adds 10 feet.

So swapping in a level in an initiator class to get that rolling would get us an additional 10 feet, bringing us up to 620' per action or 6200' while running, which puts us within 30 meters per second of Mach 1!

Also, assuming this has a ruling (Since it's one of the times not explicitly mentioned in the rules)

Sticky question: Do all Fast Movements and Haste stack, since they're all Enhancement mods? That could derail the majority of this line of thought.

Then Boots of Striding and Springing would add another 10 feet, bringing us up to 650' per action or 6500' while running. If there were a way to get another 250 feet out of this, somehow, we'd break the sound barrier. Oh well.

hewhosaysfish
2014-04-27, 05:04 PM
It might not be quite what you were looking for but...

A 5th level Nightsong Infiltrator (CAdv) gets Grant Move Action as a class feature. As the name suggests, it lets them spend their standard action to let their allies within 30 feet take a move action immediately.

Unlike the similar class feature on the Marshal, there's no clause preventing a particular creature from taking advantage of this multiple times in one round.

So, if you have a long line of Nightsong Infiltrator's all chanting "Go, go, go!" then you can scoot from one end of the line to the other in a single turn.

It is only once per day and it does require a large following of 12th level characters but it can theoretically be extended over any distance.

Or get a pack of 64 Small-sized Nightsong Infiltrators with the Swarmfighting feat to all form up into a 30' diameter circle and all take 64 move actions in one turn. Or 320 Dragonwrought Kobold Nightsong Infiltrators with the Swarmfighting and Draconic Wings feats to form up into a sphere... Kobold Formation Flying Squadron, Go!

ChocoSuisse
2014-04-28, 08:34 AM
The Quickling (from the Revised Tome of Horrors) has a base speed of 120ft.

That's a good start, no?

Btw, Cheetah's speed is really poorly designed.

Kazudo
2014-04-28, 10:00 AM
The Quickling (from the Revised Tome of Horrors) has a base speed of 120ft.

That's a good start, no?

Btw, Cheetah's speed is really poorly designed.

Which, in the realm of TO, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Adding in the "Dash" feat, we get to a maximum (again, with stacking as awkward as we can get it and the whole build horrifically unstable, of...

665' per move action or 6650' at a full run.

Which is a lot, though the build isn't really good at much else. But hey, if you need someone to run something from one town to another, Speedy McFancyPants could probably get it there. 10 miles per minute? Sure! Need something run from one kingdom to another? Be back in an hour!

ben-zayb
2014-04-28, 10:10 AM
Just a reminder: Boots doesn't stack with any magic-based speed bumps.

EDIT: there's fey related template somewhere that gives flight equal to twice base land speed, and the paragon template IIRC gives x3 speed bump to base speeds.

Kazudo
2014-04-28, 10:13 AM
The Boots of Swiftness don't, but I don't see anywhere where Boots of Striding and Springing say anything to that effect. Maybe you can point it out?

ben-zayb
2014-04-28, 10:27 AM
The Boots of Swiftness don't, but I don't see anywhere where Boots of Striding and Springing say anything to that effect. Maybe you can point it out?Oh, what I meant was boots of swiftness, as it is the most effective one supposedly.

Kazudo
2014-04-28, 10:31 AM
Well, actually since it specifically says it doesn't stack, we opted to put in Rapid Wrath as the doubling item rather than it. The boots of striding and springing are there for maximized speed padding.

Loxagn
2014-04-28, 10:45 AM
Which, in the realm of TO, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Adding in the "Dash" feat, we get to a maximum (again, with stacking as awkward as we can get it and the whole build horrifically unstable, of...

665' per move action or 6650' at a full run.

Which is a lot, though the build isn't really good at much else. But hey, if you need someone to run something from one town to another, Speedy McFancyPants could probably get it there. 10 miles per minute? Sure! Need something run from one kingdom to another? Be back in an hour!

Except when the party Wizard brings up the fact that he can Teleport or just Sending. :P

Kazudo
2014-04-28, 12:12 PM
Except when the party Wizard brings up the fact that he can Teleport or just Sending. :P

Ok guys, thread's over, stop having fun.

Phelix-Mu
2014-04-28, 02:04 PM
Ok guys, thread's over, stop having fun.

Or, rather, you can have fun, but you must purchase it at unrealistic prices per pound from the wizard that invented the wall of fun spell.:smalltongue: