PDA

View Full Version : Damage increase in size

evyldead
2014-04-27, 10:03 AM
Say you have a rapier medium size, you polymorph into a huge creature making your rapier huge size then enlarge person making you colossal size then you take a homebrew PrC and that makes your weapon THREE size catagories larger for only damage. what would THREE size categories larger then colossal, damage for a Rapier be ? at colossal is 4d6 so whats the next step up three times ?

LTwerewolf
2014-04-27, 10:11 AM
When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.

Emphasis mine. It doesn't get bigger when you polymorph, it melds into you, because your new form would not be using it. Also:

The new form must be within one size category of your normal size.

This means you cannot polymorph into a huge creature as a medium creature regardless of the previous weapon ruling.

evyldead
2014-04-27, 10:16 AM
I know I'm just saying what would that damage size be . And you can polymorph into say a war troll and still keep you weapon because it can wield weapons. Or am I reading / doing something wrong O_o

LTwerewolf
2014-04-27, 10:19 AM
If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something
other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the
creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

Emphasis mine. The size difference would make is lower than light (starts as a medium, for a large it would be a light, and for huge it would be under that), so the weapon melds into the form.

I would also like to point out neither polymorph nor alter self have a provision for changing the equipment you have worn. Enlarge person, for example, does have this provision.

All equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly enlarged by the spell.

Given that they needed to include this into the spell, it is not the standard and cannot be assumed by alter self/polymorph.

In the op you also forgot about gargantuan size. Enlarging yourself from huge makes you gargantuan, not colossal.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 10:42 AM
I think that this is a hypothetical situation more than anything else and that focusing on where the hypothetical is incorrect isn't actually answering the question but rather an attempt at an ad hominem barrage.

To be blatantly honest, the only thing I can find about that would be Colossal+, and I can't seem to find any rulings. HOWEVER, if 4d6 is the Colossal damage, it would likely continue to 6d6 and then 8d6 from there.

Three size categories above Colossal by that logic (Colossal+++ if you will) would be somewhere around 10d6 if I understand the math correctly.

Seerow
2014-04-27, 11:17 AM
I think that this is a hypothetical situation more than anything else and that focusing on where the hypothetical is incorrect isn't actually answering the question but rather an attempt at an ad hominem barrage.

To be blatantly honest, the only thing I can find about that would be Colossal+, and I can't seem to find any rulings. HOWEVER, if 4d6 is the Colossal damage, it would likely continue to 6d6 and then 8d6 from there.

Three size categories above Colossal by that logic (Colossal+++ if you will) would be somewhere around 10d6 if I understand the math correctly.

Every two steps doubles the damage.

So you go 1d6->1d8->2d6->3d6->4d6->6d6->8d6->12d6->16d6->24d6->32d6->48d6->64d6->96d6->128d6 and so on.

Emphasis mine. The size difference would make is lower than light (starts as a medium, for a large it would be a light, and for huge it would be under that), so the weapon melds into the form.

2000gp can make the weapon a Sizing weapon, so it resizes to fit the wielder. As long as the polymorph form has hands that can use a rapier, it should work fine.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 11:32 AM
Ah. Thanks, Seerow.

While 12d6 is a great amount of damage...I dunno. That's the ruling anyway.

Immunity to piercing damage would stop it no matter how large it is, and you'd have a pretty legit penalty to AC just for being that large. Plus, the thing (much less the person wielding it) wouldn't fit into a building. It'd make for a pretty legit bossmonster/Elder Evil, but I wouldn't really consider it viable for PC play unless it's a game geared for it.

EDIT: as a side note (all aside from the homebrew class) how would one even GET to that size without starting there, nearby, or having to deal with stacking rules?

Vhaidara
2014-04-27, 11:42 AM
I had a build for this. Half Minotaur Half Goristo (+2 size categories) Goliath with Psychic Warrior 6.

Start at Medium (Large from Powerful Build)
Half Minotaur to Large (Huge)
Half Goristo to Huge (Gargantuan)
Psychic Warrior augmented Expansion for 2 increases to Colossal (Colossal+)

Khedrac
2014-04-28, 06:39 AM
Be careful, and the normal interpretation is that Colossal is the largest size except for Dragons - so your weapon will cap out at Colossal.

TuggyNE
2014-04-28, 08:42 PM
Be careful, and the normal interpretation is that Colossal is the largest size except for Dragons - so your weapon will cap out at Colossal.

Yeah. The problem is that, strictly speaking, there is no general progression given, only a table of specific numbers for different sizes, which only goes so far. So extrapolating beyond that may seem reasonable, but is a houserule … and since this houserule is then often used for rather excessive damage figures, its claim to being "reasonable" is somewhat dubious. (Massive charge multipliers and ridiculous mitigated metamagic stacking are similarly unreasonable, but have at least the flimsy protection of being actual RAW.)