PDA

View Full Version : Practiced Wild Magic

Vhaidara
2014-04-27, 11:30 AM
So, I have a character who I'm planning to go from Warmage into Wild Mage with.

The first Wild Mage ability is Wild Magic. Your caster level is permanently reduced by 3, but whenever you cast a spell, you roll 1d6 and add that to your caster level. So, when I become a Warmage 5/Wild Mage 1, my caster level will be 3, with 1d6 being added at the time of casting for each spell.

Can I take Practiced Spellcaster, which increases your caster level by +4, up to a cap of your HD, and have my CL be 6 + 1d6?

Garonak
2014-04-27, 12:26 PM
The feat comes into play before the Wild Magic, thus the feat will not help. At least, that's how my group interpreted it last time someone played a wild mage.

ThunderCat
2014-04-27, 12:35 PM
It's been asked before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-298744.html). The FAQ states that the -3+1d6 to CL is in one step, so practiced caster can't apply before, but if you end up with a CL below your HD, it can apply to that and raise your CL back up.

WhamBamSam
2014-04-27, 12:40 PM
The feat comes into play before the Wild Magic, thus the feat will not help. At least, that's how my group interpreted it last time someone played a wild mage.Not quite. The feat comes into play either before or after Wild Magic - whichever is the most beneficial - but not in the middle, which is what you'd need to get CL+1d6. That is, Wild Magic applies its penalty and bonus all at once as one solid feature.

After is the more beneficial. If you roll less than 3, it resets your CL to full. If you roll more than 3, Practiced Spellcaster does nothing. You get the usual potential benefits of Wild Mage without the risks, which is good, just not as good as you were hoping.

EDIT: Swordsage'd, or maybe Celerity'd since this is a caster thread.