PDA

View Full Version : How to tell you're a lycanthrope

felinoel
2014-04-27, 12:50 PM
So I'm looking at the involuntary change stats for lycanthropy and it says nothing if you succeed the check... since it is involuntary do you even notice the check? Also I assumed it was a Will check but couldn't see it listed where I was looking.

3.5e

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-27, 01:04 PM
It's a DC 15 Wisdom check. If you don't know you're infected with lycanthropy you change automatically the first full moon and get the check to notice your infection.
If you fail the check you must make a Control Shape check every night on a full moon and every time you get damaged in combat.
You get the same Wisdom check every time until you succeed, and you don't remember shifting and become an NPC while shifted until you do.

Once you become aware you still need to pass Control Shape checks to resist involuntary shifting. The difference is that you remain in control, you can voluntarily try to change shape and only need to resist involuntary changes on full moon nights and every 1/4th of your total hp in damage (instead of every time you take damage).

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 01:54 PM
Plus the template popping up next to your race and the sudden LA...

wait, wait, you mean IN CHARACTER. Oh. Uh...

Ionbound
2014-04-27, 02:11 PM
I would think that the urge to chase rabbits would be a pretty big give-away.

Elderand
2014-04-27, 02:42 PM
Waking up naked in a forest next to a half eaten deer is also a big clue

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 03:33 PM
Being bound by chains in a cage with people with silver weaponry nearby could also be a determining factor.

Unless your character's just into that kind of thing.

Alex12
2014-04-27, 03:36 PM
If you go to bed with relatively clean and intact clothing, and wake up with it ripped and bloodstained, and also there's claw marks on your bedroom door that you're pretty sure weren't there before, it's a pretty good hint that something's up.

tomandtish
2014-04-27, 07:57 PM
If you go to bed with relatively clean and intact clothing, and wake up with it ripped and bloodstained, and also there's claw marks on your bedroom door that you're pretty sure weren't there before, it's a pretty good hint that something's up.

Either a really good or really bad Friday night.... :smallbiggrin:

But yeah, it can often be the incidentals that tip you off.

atemu1234
2014-04-27, 08:09 PM
Well, a DM would probably make it easy. "You wake up in a forest clearing next to a dismembered stag. It looks partially eaten."
"I'm a bleeding werewolf again, aren't I?"

JeminiZero
2014-04-27, 08:49 PM
Lycanthropes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm) gain low-light vision and scent regardless of form. So if you can suddenly see much better in the dark, and your can tell you who is standing behind you before you even look, those are pretty big clues.

felinoel
2014-04-28, 12:39 AM
It's a DC 15 Wisdom check. If you don't know you're infected with lycanthropy you change automatically the first full moon and get the check to notice your infection.
If you fail the check you must make a Control Shape check every night on a full moon and every time you get damaged in combat.
You get the same Wisdom check every time until you succeed, and you don't remember shifting and become an NPC while shifted until you do.

Once you become aware you still need to pass Control Shape checks to resist involuntary shifting. The difference is that you remain in control, you can voluntarily try to change shape and only need to resist involuntary changes on full moon nights and every 1/4th of your total hp in damage (instead of every time you take damage)....automatically?
Oops, had assumed the DC 15 check was for the first time...

Well, a DM would probably make it easy. "You wake up in a forest clearing next to a dismembered stag. It looks partially eaten."
"I'm a bleeding werewolf again, aren't I?"Well said.

Lycanthropes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm) gain low-light vision and scent regardless of form. So if you can suddenly see much better in the dark, and your can tell you who is standing behind you before you even look, those are pretty big clues.He IS also gaining new stats left and right because he is becoming a god (and doesn't realize it) so he might not notice that lol

John Longarrow
2014-04-28, 07:55 AM
The real indicator is you wind up going on coyote dates....

Go to bed with a FOX...

wake up with a DOG!

Techwarrior
2014-04-28, 07:59 AM
Waking up naked in a forest next to a half eaten deer is also a big clue

Nah, there's actually a disturbing amount of ways to get that effect in 3.5

malonkey1
2014-04-28, 08:02 AM
Floss with silver-lines dental floss. If your teeth fall out, you are probably a lycanthrope. Thankfully, your bite attack should deal much less damage now.

John Longarrow
2014-04-28, 08:07 AM
Nah, there's actually a disturbing amount of ways to get that effect in 3.5

Hey!!!! I've got an Uncle in Wisconson who resembles that!!!

Gotta love Bow hunters! :elan:

felinoel
2014-04-30, 02:14 AM
So wait then, if he always succeeds his Will checks and doesn't realize the stat changes will he never realize he is a lycanthrope then?

TiaC
2014-04-30, 02:35 AM
Well, it becomes almost impossible to learn new things.

felinoel
2014-04-30, 04:36 PM
Well, it becomes almost impossible to learn new things.Maybe I should add some color to his white lemur fur...

...or... hey what plane has the most moons? lol

Killer Angel
2014-04-30, 04:43 PM
A NPC druid stares at the group, and declare "the one who is a lycantrope, makes a step ahead, please".
No one moves.
The druid slaps the PC... "AH! so, you're also a liar!"

felinoel
2014-04-30, 05:00 PM
A NPC druid stares at the group, and declare "the one who is a lycantrope, makes a step ahead, please".
No one moves.
The druid slaps the PC... "AH! so, you're also a liar!"He considered it when it happened but he seems to think he isn't infected now, but if a druid asked for the lycanthrope he may just step forward lol

Ehhh... most people everywhere are dead, all of the planes are merging, I think I could scrounge up a still living druid somewhere... I still like the planes that has a ton of moons idea though...