PDA

View Full Version : Ways to gain armor proficiency?

Acanous
2014-04-27, 12:58 PM
Hey folks, I'm looking for ways to gain an exotic armor proficiency without burning a feat. I know for Weapons there's the Skillful enchantment, is there something like that for armor?
Also, if there's a spot where it says racial armor proficiency is a thing, a quote would be amazing.

Darrin
2014-04-27, 03:51 PM
Which exotic armor is this for? If you can reduce the ACP to zero via special materials/templates, then the nonproficiency penalty is also zero.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 04:08 PM
It's completely undo-able for most builds, but a level of Dwarven Defender gives proficiency with all armors.

EDIT:
Actually, a level in a lot of classes will give you "Proficiency with all types of armor", which works by RAW if it doesn't specify next to that (heavy, medium, light), since there's no specific to trump general.

Even a level in Aristocrat would give it to you.

Acanous
2014-05-03, 02:09 AM
Huh. Thanks. The armor in question is Gnomish Twistcloth.

Virdish
2014-05-03, 02:24 AM
There is a specific in the way exotic armors are handled. Proficiency with "all armors" doesn't include exotic armor.

OldTrees1
2014-05-03, 02:50 AM
Huh. Thanks. The armor in question is Gnomish Twistcloth.

Gnomish Twistcloth doesn't care if you are proficient. It cares if you are proficient via the Exotic Armor Proficiency (Gnomish Twistcloth) feat.

Darkweave31
2014-05-03, 09:05 AM
Why do you need the bonus to touch AC for being proficient? If you're just looking for a no max dex, 0 ASF armor you can actually just wear it without the feat and get the armor bonus to your regular AC.

Kazudo
2014-05-03, 11:18 AM
There is a specific in the way exotic armors are handled. Proficiency with "all armors" doesn't include exotic armor.

Can I get some RAW that says that? For future reference.

OldTrees1
2014-05-03, 12:35 PM
Can I get some RAW that says that? For future reference.

In the table on pg 66 of Underdark (the origin of the Exotic Armor Prof feat)

1 Requires the appropriate Exotic Armor Proficiency feat
The updated EAP feat on pg 139 of Races of Stone

A fighter may select Exotic Armor Proficiency as one of his fighter bonus feats (see page 38 of the Player’s Handbook).
The Fighter base proficiencies from the srd

A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

So a Fighter starts proficient with all armors. But can select EAP as a bonus feat. Exotic armors don't care about proficiency, they care about having the EAP feat.