PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Good classes for a halfling [core+TOB 3.5]

Teapot Salty
2014-04-27, 04:45 PM
Hey guys. So, I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good race for a halfling. I'm not making a character right now, but I probably will in the near future and I'm curious what you guys think, preferably core over TOB (it was very hard to convince my dm to let me use TOB). Thanks, and as always, go nuts.

Seerow
2014-04-27, 04:48 PM
If you prefer sticking to core, Wizard or Druid easily.

nedz
2014-04-27, 06:57 PM
Hey guys. So, I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good race for a halfling.

Halfling.

I'm not sure if you are asking for a Sub-race, of which there are several, or a Class? Actually the latter depends upon the former to an extent.

Also what sort of character do you want ?
Caster, Rogue, ... ? There are a lot of options here.

Teapot Salty
2014-04-27, 07:08 PM
Also what sort of character do you want ?
Caster, Rogue, ... ? There are a lot of options here.

Anything really, I just want to see what you guys think about it.

Callin
2014-04-27, 07:24 PM
Well for pure not suckage the Warblade > Fighter and Crusader > Paladin. I wouldnt even try for Unarmed Swordsage since you had to convince the DM to even allow ToB. Plus being small.

So on that Note a Crusader or Warblade/Bard using Song of the White Raven is a good support Character. Sucks you cant get Lingering Song from Complete Adventurer though.

Crusader/Sorc or Warblade/Wizard into Jade Phoenix Mage is pretty powerful.

Crusader/Cleric/Vindicator is also pretty powerful

So something along those lines are your best bet.

Grayson01
2014-04-27, 08:20 PM
Going Core only I would say Druid (wild Shape Focused) if you wanna be a Melee fighter. Rogue or Bard for a Skill monkey. Or Wizard if you wanna be BFC.

HunterOfJello
2014-04-27, 09:14 PM
Halfing is a good race for Swordsage, Rogue, ranged Cleric, Sorcerer, Wizard, Druid, and Bard.

All benefit from the small size and bonus to dex while not taking too bad a hit from the penalty to strength. People usually favor Gnome over Halfling for arcane classes due to the Illusion DC bonus, but if you're not overly fond of illusion magic, then Halfings aren't a bad alternative.

-Barbarian is harmed by the -2 Str and small size.
-Ranger is not a strong class to begin with and is hurt quite a bit by the -2 Str and small size.
-Monks are harmed by the small size since it ruins your ability to trip and grapple effectively. Monks also need all the strength they can get since their damage is usually quite poor.
-Warblade could work, but they usually focus more on strength.
-Crusader isn't worth it since they usually use heavy armor, ignore dex, and depend on strength for damage. (that puts you at lower damage and 15ft move speed).
-Paladin has the same issues as Crusader.

zingbobco000
2014-05-03, 09:11 PM
For core I would go with either: Druid, bard, rogue, sorcerer, or wizard.

nedz
2014-05-03, 09:59 PM
They actually make reasonable mounted chargers. Now a Human mounted charger will do more damage, but they can't get into such small spaces as a Halfling on a Medium Sized Mount.

Seharvepernfan
2014-05-04, 07:53 AM
Swordsage with the weapon finesse and shadow blade feats. Net +2 on attack and AC vs. a human swordsage, and much stealthier.

ericgrau
2014-05-04, 09:48 AM
Ray caster, perhaps an arcane trickster but that's not necessarily better than a straight wizard or sorcerer. If you do go arcane trickster I'd do wizard entry though for quickened sneak attack cantrips. Take precise shot and go to town. Don't forget non-damaging rays too.

Anything else dexy is nice too ya, and really anything at all works. The size bonuses are nice for str based melee in spite of the penalties. Anyone can be a caster and the halfling touch AC, saves, ranged attack bonus and lighter gear help too. Tricky classes of course are the natural choice. So that's everything.

zingbobco000
2014-05-04, 10:14 AM
Ray caster, perhaps an arcane trickster but that's not necessarily better than a straight wizard or sorcerer. If you do go arcane trickster I'd do wizard entry though for quickened sneak attack cantrips. Take precise shot and go to town. Don't forget non-damaging rays too.

Anything else dexy is nice too ya, and really anything at all works. The size bonuses are nice for str based melee in spite of the penalties. Anyone can be a caster and the halfling touch AC, saves, ranged attack bonus and lighter gear help too. Tricky classes of course are the natural choice. So that's everything.

Take archmage/loremaster