PDA

View Full Version : Who would win the war?

Scublacus_Venn
2014-04-27, 05:57 PM
Hey, guys. I was wondering who would win a war between the Russians and the Britons. Nothing to do with school, just looking for opinions.

T-Mick
2014-04-27, 06:11 PM
Anyone who invades Russia loses. That's the way it's always been. Any other scenario, I'm not sure.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-27, 06:20 PM
Well, Russia and the UK in isolation, they could probably starve out the UK, and the UK does not have the man power or equipment for an invasion of Russia. On the other hand, if Russia attacked the UK, realistically, NATO would get in on the act, and we'd probably have a lovely case of conventional/limited nuclear World War III.
A real question is . . . why? What does Russia have to benefit, what would the UK have to benefit from such an act?

Aedilred
2014-04-27, 06:31 PM
When you say "Britons" I get a picture of a naked man covered in woad. I'm going to assume that's what you're talking about.

"Russians" is more ambiguous, since it could be anything from Kievan Rus' through to modern post-Soviet Russian Federation with nuclear weapons.

But it doesn't matter. The Britons will win. They beat Caesar, they can beat anyone. Those tanks don't stand a chance against chariots.

Murska
2014-04-27, 06:33 PM
UK and Russia in a void. Assuming no nukes. UK has the superior navy, but nowhere near enough equipment and manpower to invade Russia. So neither of them can really take over the other's territory. Russia would probably collapse faster economically, because UK can blockade Russia and Russia can't do the same. But I would assume there'd be a ceasefire before that because they have no real reason to fight and they can't decisively win either.

Mx.Silver
2014-04-27, 06:57 PM
Anyone who invades Russia loses. That's the way it's always been.

Unless you're The Mongols (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqcVro-3f4I&feature=youtu.be&t=4m44s) :smalltongue:
(And also that time they collapsed into civil war during world war I, which may also count).

Scublacus_Venn
2014-04-27, 07:26 PM
Unless you're The Mongols (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqcVro-3f4I&feature=youtu.be&t=4m44s) :smalltongue:
(And also that time they collapsed into civil war during world war I, which may also count).

Nice shoutout to John Green. Nerdfighter?

nedz
2014-04-27, 07:42 PM
It depends upon the scenario.

Britain invading Russia would be a disaster, this was last tried during the Russian Civil War but only fringe areas were occupied.

Russia invading Britain would also be a disaster, no one has done this since 1066 (1688 wasn't really an invasion) in fact both Napoleon and Hitler gave up before they started and went off to invade Russia instead — presumably because they thought that it might be easier, who knows.

Nuclear weapons make both of the above scenarios moot in any event.

So this leaves a proxy war in some other country as a possible scenario. This depends upon where the country is: Does it have a border with Russia ? and Does it have a coast ? are the relevant questions here. This scenario is far too open to answer.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-27, 07:44 PM
Well, the latter was Russia invading itself, so of course it lost.:smalltongue:

Roland St. Jude
2014-04-27, 07:51 PM
Sheriff: This seems unnecessary and likely to turn either political (or spammy as people make jokes to avoid turning it political). Thread locked.