PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Magic Jar spell [3.5]

Duke of Urrel
2014-04-27, 10:32 PM
I would just like some confirmation that my interpretations of the rules of the Magic Jar spell aren't too far off.

You keep your Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, level, class, Base Attack Bonus, Base Save Bonuses, alignment, and mental abilities.

I consider "level" and "class" to include all class features.

I consider "mental abilities" to include spell-like abilities and spellcasting ability, but I believe the body you possess must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components. I apply this rule to all other retained class features as well, many of which require intelligible speech, humanlike hands, or both.

The body retains its Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Hit Points, natural abilities, and automatic abilities. For example, a fish's body breathes water and a troll's body regenerates.

I consider "natural abilities" to include most ordinary racial traits, including appearance, movement modes, natural armor, natural weapons, racial attack bonuses and penalties, racial bonus feats (any feat identified with a superscript 'B'), racial save bonuses, racial skill bonuses, and size (including size modifiers to ability scores, Armor Class, attack rolls, grapple checks, and Hide skill checks). I exclude the human bonus feat and human bonus skill points (for simplicity's sake, if for no other reason).

I consider "automatic abilities" to include all extraordinary and supernatural racial traits that do not require activation, that is, all those that are special qualities, but not special attacks.

You can’t choose to activate the body’s extraordinary or supernatural abilities. The creature’s spells and spell-like abilities do not stay with the body.

I interpret this rule to mean that you can't use a possessed body's extraordinary or supernatural special attacks, though you can use its natural weapons. You can't use any of the creature's spell-like abilities, and you have no access to any of the spells that it can cast.

What do you think?

ericgrau
2014-04-28, 12:33 AM
Sounds mostly right. But I think attack bonuses against certain creature types are mental not physical. Skills too. Not sure about bonus feats. But I think most (B) feats could be considered physical or at least automatic.

Duke of Urrel
2014-04-28, 08:11 AM
Thanks! That's all I'm asking for.

Mnemnosyne
2014-05-04, 12:13 PM
Hands are not required for somatic components, if I remember correctly (I might be wrong on this since I can't look for a reference right now, but I'm reasonably sure). It's any appendages capable of fine manipulation, so a sufficient number of precise enough tentacles would also suffice, as would a dragon's limbs, since they are capable of spellcasting, and so on.

zingbobco000
2014-05-04, 02:13 PM
Hands are not required for somatic components, if I remember correctly (I might be wrong on this since I can't look for a reference right now, but I'm reasonably sure). It's any appendages capable of fine manipulation, so a sufficient number of precise enough tentacles would also suffice, as would a dragon's limbs, since they are capable of spellcasting, and so on.

Yes, you are correct in that statement, as long as the creature has limbs they can use somatic spells.

I would just like some confirmation that my interpretations of the rules of the Magic Jar spell aren't too far off.

I consider "level" and "class" to include all class features.

I consider "mental abilities" to include spell-like abilities and spellcasting ability, but I believe the body you possess must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components. I apply this rule to all other retained class features as well, many of which require intelligible speech, humanlike hands, or both.

I consider "natural abilities" to include most ordinary racial traits, including appearance, movement modes, natural armor, natural weapons, racial attack bonuses and penalties, racial bonus feats (any feat identified with a superscript 'B'), racial save bonuses, racial skill bonuses, and size (including size modifiers to ability scores, Armor Class, attack rolls, grapple checks, and Hide skill checks). I exclude the human bonus feat and human bonus skill points (for simplicity's sake, if for no other reason).

I consider "automatic abilities" to include all extraordinary and supernatural racial traits that do not require activation, that is, all those that are special qualities, but not special attacks.

I interpret this rule to mean that you can't use a possessed body's extraordinary or supernatural special attacks, though you can use its natural weapons. You can't use any of the creature's spell-like abilities, and you have no access to any of the spells that it can cast.

What do you think?

That seems like the correct answer, as it's sort of like trying to access a creatures memories or gaining a fighter's feats because you're inside a fighter's body.