PDA

View Full Version : Reading suggestions for a spellcaster?

caden_varn
2014-04-28, 06:13 AM
I'll shortly be starting in a new game - not exactly sure what I'll be playing as I'll work around the rest of the group, but it looks like a caster, most likely cleric or wizard. I only have the core books, but the DM has a load more (the Complete books certainly and a few others). I won't have time to drag through all the books, so was hoping for some advice to get me to some useful options for ACFs/feats etc (not so worried about spells), particularly useful metamagic and any ways to reduce the spell level costs of metamagic. I know it's a rather vague request, but any advice on books to check out etc. would be helpful.

I want to be mainly buff/battlefield control, and nothing too cheesy. We're starting at 5th level I believe, and it will likely only go at around level 10.

Dr. Azkur
2014-04-28, 08:18 AM
Complete Arcane and Complete Mage have most of what you're looking for. If your DM has the Spell Compendium do browse it as much as you can. If you're evil BoVD, is the greatest of resources. I always liked Frostburn's cold magic, but it's nothing to go crazy about. Cityscape and Dungeonscape might be of use to you.

Kazudo
2014-04-28, 10:23 AM
I'll shortly be starting in a new game - not exactly sure what I'll be playing as I'll work around the rest of the group, but it looks like a caster, most likely cleric or wizard. I only have the core books, but the DM has a load more (the Complete books certainly and a few others). I won't have time to drag through all the books, so was hoping for some advice to get me to some useful options for ACFs/feats etc (not so worried about spells), particularly useful metamagic and any ways to reduce the spell level costs of metamagic. I know it's a rather vague request, but any advice on books to check out etc. would be helpful.

I want to be mainly buff/battlefield control, and nothing too cheesy. We're starting at 5th level I believe, and it will likely only go at around level 10.

Hmm. In my somewhat limited playing experience (don't get me wrong, I run a lot of games and participate in optimization contests and such, just don't get to play much) Battlefield Control is best done using something akin to Wizard or Druid, while Buff is a pretty vague concept. Metamagic and reducing spell level costs are, hilariously, best under the purview of the Cleric, who has access to Divine Metamagic, which allows you to trade spell levels for a specific metamagic feat for turn undead attempts, which are a mechanic in D&D 3.5 that's laughable at best.

Chronos
2014-04-28, 10:25 AM
Complete Arcane and Complete Mage have most of what you're looking for.
Or Complete Divine and Complete Champion, if you go with cleric.

caden_varn
2014-04-29, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I will have a look at those books