PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Found a Nifty Homebrew Class. Think it's workable?

BitterBusiness
2014-04-28, 10:25 AM
I was looking for some offbeat character classes for a new steampunk campaign and I came across this: The Clocksmith. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Clocksmith_(3.5e_Class)) Totally fell in love before I noticed it's homebrew and not quite finished.

My DM has already approved, but I wanted to get the insight of some people with experience integrating custom content, in case there are any balance issues we missed. What do you guys think?

XionUnborn01
2014-04-28, 10:57 AM
Before anyone answers, you'll need to tell us the optimization level of the party, what classes they will play, what's normally allowed at your table, etc etc.

Loek
2014-04-28, 02:01 PM
Like XionUnborn01 says.

However, somethings that can be mentioned right away:

It doesn't have enough class skills (it has 8 + all the crafts) - Which is doable, but unless you go craft happy, a bit too few for that many skill points per level.

It gains craft construct as a feat at level 1 (which is too early, as far as I know, there is nothing to craft at that level), which is also too early for normal play (as prerequisite feats would normally require a caster level of 5 (so most likely not before level 6).

It doesn't gain the ability to cast/fake spells, so it can't actually make any constructs besides the familiar-like clockwork thing. (My advice, add the artificers ability to "fake it" using use magic device [yay, extra class skill] but only for constructs.

Finally, beyond a nice idea and a cool familiar like construct... There isn't really much of a class as of yet. (see below for some suggestions).

What I'd add would be:

Ability to use magic device to make constructs (as an artificer, but only for constructs).

A reserve XP pool for the construction of constructs (like the artificer, but constructs only, and maybe a bit more)

Some class specific abilities. Probably along the line of creating stronger constructs, constructs being more effective when in a Xft radius of him, maybe eventually making (semi-)conscious constructs (not full warforged, but at least something that can do some thinking/creative problem solving).

And probably something along the way in the line of a transformational class (the gear craft, but applied to you). Ending with you becoming a construct (living construct) at the end.

Finally, something to do in battle... be it a "inspire construct" feature (like the bard), a annoy opponents (give the poor class a heavy crossbow or something) or something actually new... like temporary constructs (well new... astral constructs :P) or maybe being able to "project" his mind into one and allow him to directly pilot that golem.

So basically, it's a nice basis for sure, but nowhere near a full class yet.

ps: I'd also recommend taking a hard look at the saving throws, as fortitude and reflex have no (directly apparent) reason to be strong... it would seem more like a mental (and thus strong will saves) class.

Octopusapult
2014-04-28, 02:49 PM
Like XionUnborn01 says.

However, somethings that can be mentioned right away:

It doesn't have enough class skills (it has 8 + all the crafts) - Which is doable, but unless you go craft happy, a bit too few for that many skill points per level.

It gains craft construct as a feat at level 1 (which is too early, as far as I know, there is nothing to craft at that level), which is also too early for normal play (as prerequisite feats would normally require a caster level of 5 (so most likely not before level 6).

It doesn't gain the ability to cast/fake spells, so it can't actually make any constructs besides the familiar-like clockwork thing. (My advice, add the artificers ability to "fake it" using use magic device [yay, extra class skill] but only for constructs.

Finally, beyond a nice idea and a cool familiar like construct... There isn't really much of a class as of yet. (see below for some suggestions).

What I'd add would be:

Ability to use magic device to make constructs (as an artificer, but only for constructs).

A reserve XP pool for the construction of constructs (like the artificer, but constructs only, and maybe a bit more)

Some class specific abilities. Probably along the line of creating stronger constructs, constructs being more effective when in a Xft radius of him, maybe eventually making (semi-)conscious constructs (not full warforged, but at least something that can do some thinking/creative problem solving).

And probably something along the way in the line of a transformational class (the gear craft, but applied to you). Ending with you becoming a construct (living construct) at the end.

Finally, something to do in battle... be it a "inspire construct" feature (like the bard), a annoy opponents (give the poor class a heavy crossbow or something) or something actually new... like temporary constructs (well new... astral constructs :P) or maybe being able to "project" his mind into one and allow him to directly pilot that golem.

So basically, it's a nice basis for sure, but nowhere near a full class yet.

ps: I'd also recommend taking a hard look at the saving throws, as fortitude and reflex have no (directly apparent) reason to be strong... it would seem more like a mental (and thus strong will saves) class.

I know it's kind of off topic, and I probably won't add anything to this. But this post is why I love this site.

That homebrew class is awesome, and Loek nailed it with the analysis.

Loek
2014-04-28, 03:56 PM
Some more in depth analysis (I now actually read the specific abilities, as few as they are, more closely)

The clockwork creation ends up being a 18.5 HD gargantuan monstrosity.

It seems like the class is fully build around let it "grow" big enough (at class level 7 for small PCs and 11 for medium PCs) to install the Mount (Body) graft and forever more do battle from the inside of your creation. (which can be cool, but would seem more like a separate item or so that any artificer/item builder can make, not enough for a full class).

This begs the question of whose feats/BaB/Saves are to be used when you are inside it.

There are only 9 "slots" for the grafts on the creation (but you get to apply 10), I assume this is due to the (Ench) type grafts being upgrades to other ones (thus not taking a slot), but that would need to be properly clarified.
(This re-read also made it quite clear that the gear grafts are (mostly) not suitable to application on the PC as a "transformational class" thing)

Also, shame on my quick scan (Improved Uplink class feature) as my suggestion of sending your thoughts into the creation is already there (but as a function of the creation, not of the class, I'd move that to be honest).

So again I say, some details need ironing out (less of the "flesh out the class" than I previously thought. but still quite somethings if only to remove it from the creation and move it to the class).

And to be honest, it might just be too equipment based to be a real "stand on its own two feet" class. (Maybe make the class more rounded out, have the uplink feats work on any (designated beforehand) construct and make the clockwork creation a stand alone construct, but give this class an easier way of creating it than the rest of the world).

Note: the actual balance of the particular grafts and the creation itself is still to be done after all the rest is there. As quite a few things are still a bit vague and/or might have to be (drastically) altered before it's all over and done with.