PDA

View Full Version : [IC: A Game of Thrones Alternate History - Pathfinder E6]

Pages : [1] 2

Xealot7
2014-04-28, 10:30 AM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/ramage8504/IronThrone.jpg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/ramage8504/media/IronThrone.jpg.html)
"When you play the Game of Thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground." -Cersei Lannister

Group A:
The Red Keep, King's Landing, Westeros

The morning is beautiful, the sun shining, the cool ocean breeze cools the skin in the mid-morning heat. Five strangers are seated at the the King's table in the main hall, dining on a brunch consisting of the finest delicacies Westeros has to offer. The conversations are short and formal, with no one lowering the guard. Everyone knows they were summoned her, though they are not sure why. The Hand of the King, or rather, former Hand of the King, Jon Arryn summoned the lot of you here. With him dead, it seems likely that you will all end up back at your respective homes. Of course, none of you ever squander an opportunity, so your mind preoccupies itself with what you will do when you are dismissed. But you are getting ahead of yourself. After the group has had its fill of the delicacies and the goblets of wine have been replaced time and time again, a bald, pudgy man wearing exquisite silk robes enters the dining hall. He bows his head and greets each of you by name in a soft spoken voice before introducing himself. "Greetings. I am Varys, Master of Whisperers to King Baratheon. I am aware that the former Hand of the King, Jon Arryn, summoned the lot of you here, though I will not pretend to understand why. Regardless, the newly appointed Hand of the King, Lord Paramount of the North, Eddard Stark, will be here in three days time. He has been informed of your circumstances and has asked to meet with you. It has been arranged for each of you to stay here in the Red Keep until his arrival. If you should need anything, do not hesitate to ask. The attendants will see each of you to your personal quarters. Please enjoy your time in King's Landing." Just as quickly as he appeared, Varys retreats back into the shadows, just like his moniker.

The group has several minutes alone to speak to each other and become acquainted before the attendants come to show you to your quarters.

Please take the time to introduce yourselves.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Group B:
Chataya's Brothel, King's Landing, Westeros

In a hidden room in Chataya's brothel, a lavish house of pleasures located behind Rhaenys's Hill in King's Landing, five strangers are seated together for the first time. Coming from all walks of life, it seems as if none of you could have anything in common. It seems that all of you have, with the five of you all receiving a letter from one Petyr Baelish, imploring you to come to King's Landing. While each of you had your own reasons, somehow you are all here. One of Chataya's girls enters the room. She wears nothing but a silk sun dress that hangs loosely over her soft frame. "Lord Baelish will see you all soon, please enjoy wine until his arrival."

The group has several minutes to speak to each other prior to his the arrival of Lord Baelish. They should spend it becoming acquainted with one another. It is not likely they were all called at random.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/ramage8504/KingsLandingMap.jpg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/ramage8504/media/KingsLandingMap.jpg.html)

Vhaidara
2014-04-28, 10:59 AM
Claw, Foundling of the Black and White Temple

Claw looks around at the others. A really old man, a beautiful short woman, and two strong looking men. Probably a bad audience to play the child to. Setting too formal for crazy, and the old guy had that one anyways. Not enough prep work for a noble. Still, no sense letting them know how dangerous he could be.
So, what brings so many of the gentry to a place of ill repute like this?

Yawielas
2014-04-28, 11:14 AM
Group A
Lady Mariwen of House Edgewater

Mariwen, an attractive noble woman in her mid twenties, dressed in green silk and with her auburn hair meticulously braided into an elaborate hairdo, sets her goblet down on the table and looks at the others. She nods politely. "I am Mariwen of House Edgewater from the Riverlands. And I must admit I am quite curious about why the Hand summoned us all here. Such terrible news, though. However, I am pleased to meet you, and to have this opportunity to spend some time in King's Landing." She looks from one to the other and smiles, open and friendly.

Mabn
2014-04-28, 11:39 AM
Aisaroth, estranged maester

"A Furrier's wagon. What did you come in?" Aisaroth's tone was acerbic and his hand didn't leave his satchel as he sat appraising the rooms other inhabitants.

miinstrel
2014-04-28, 11:47 AM
Calven Janascan
The Red Keep, King's Landing, Group A

Calven has been very nearly gorging himself on the feast set before them. He eats politely but seems to have no bottom. As a servant comes around and he receives yet another refill, he introduces himself. "'Tis a tragedy indeed when a man of such esteem succumbs to illness. 'Tis even more a shame we shall never know the meaning of this summons. Still, we must make the best of the situation. I am Calven, son of Jonah of House Janascan in the north and the pleasure is surely mine," he says raising his glass at each of you around the table.

SuperCracker
2014-04-28, 12:11 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Heir of the Iron Fingers
Group B, Chataya’s Brothel

Jonah Lorimer is plainly a noble. He wears garments that are not ostentatious, but are simply too fine to be that of a lowborn. The primary color of his garb is white. The secondary color is black, and blue trim accentuates the rest. His hair is cut neatly, as is his short facial hair. His eyes, a piercing blue, look upon the whore that has entered the room. Lovely, to be sure… but still a whore. Her affections can be bought with coin. It’s an apt comparison to most everyone else in King’s Landing. And who have we been summoned here by? None other than the Master of Coin.

Still, Jonah comes off as pleasant enough. He smiles, drinks a little wine (though is careful to take small sips), and seems down to earth and approachable – even if he doesn’t trust anyone in this city, especially the man who summoned them.

Conversation begins, with the obvious question being asked. Unlike the old man, Jonah gives a straight answer.

“I’m not sure myself. I suppose we’ll know soon enough,” well, whatever the supposed reason is, anyway. Jonah looked from face to face, offering that same smile. “In any event, I am Jonah Lorimer. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Livius
2014-04-28, 12:42 PM
Kevyn Rivers

"Gentry? I'm no noble; I work for a living," Kevyn replies as he scans the others in the room. "Looks like I'm the only ..." Kevyn trails off as he notices Jonah, a giant noble with a giant sword in close proximity to him.

"Anyway, I'm here to see the city and get paid for it." He smiles nastily at Aisaroth. "Oh, and I walked the whole way here. You should try it some time."

Kevyn could see what Lord Baelish could want with most of them, but he was a bit confused about why there was a beautiful woman sitting with them. In his experience, there were only two types of women who put effort into their appearance. One was useless noble ladies waiting to be married off, and Lord Baelish clearly didn't need help finding the other. Perhaps she's just confused.

SuperCracker
2014-04-28, 01:09 PM
Jonah Lorimer

"Gentry? I'm no noble; I work for a living," Kevyn replies as he scans the others in the room. "Looks like I'm the only ..." Kevyn trails off as he notices Jonah, a giant noble with a giant sword in close proximity to him.

Jonah doesn't laugh at the remark, but he keeps that same smile he had before. "No offense taken," he said in a quieter voice. "Many of us don't do anything useful."

Mathis
2014-04-28, 01:14 PM
Wendel Flint, second son of House Flint of Flint's Fingers
Group A

After Varys' short introduction Wendel grabs a piece of cloth to clean his face with and finishes by wiping his hands while Mariwen speaks. He is dressed in a tailored dark green doublet with soft brown leather pants. A small dagger hangs at his leather belt as the only accessory. These aren't expensive clothes but the man wearing them obviously has money. His hair is long and well kept, definitely washed earlier this morning. Waiting politely for his turn to speak Wendel does so after having raised a glass to return Calven's greeting. "And my name is Wendel Flint. I've been a ward with the Manderly's at White Harbour since I was a young one. My only talents are a good memory and access to a large library, so I can't imagine why a Hand of the King would want to see me for anything." He ends with a genuine smile on his face, crow's feet at the edge of his eyes. "Anyone here who wants to take a guess as to why we're all here?"

Vhaidara
2014-04-28, 01:20 PM
Group B

Ah, he could try for a common urchin of the streets of King's Landing! He would have to work in some unusual parentage, but that was hardly uncommon for improvised roles.
I take offense to that. I've hardly gone a day of my life without working at something.

MrE
2014-04-28, 03:08 PM
Lyra Sand, Bastard of Starfall, Daughter of the Viper
Group B, Chataya's Brothel, King's Landing

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af107/FayleneSky/Iron%20Throne/Spare%20Characters/Farah-2.jpg

Lyra idly plays with her hands, seemingly calm amongst the towering men. "Oh quite, but you can't say that too loudly. Not in their presence," she whispered conspiratorially. "House Lorimer?" she inquired, "I am afraid I have little knowledge of the great Houses outside of Dorne. Where is your seat?" It would have been obvious to anyone that Lyra was well spoken, and clearly well born. "I am Lyra Sand." She said the last word almost as a challenge.

Vhaidara
2014-04-28, 03:14 PM
Group B

Claw smiles at the lady, now intrigued by her.
Lady Sand, yer from Dorne? I've 'erd some pretty tall tales 'bout a man 'ey call "the Red Viper". You ever 'erd of 'im?

It's worth noting that Claw is the same height as Lyra. I wrote "small" woman because Claw is pretty short, and I had seen the S on your character sheet without actually checking your height.

Also, I'm going to be experimenting with trying to type an uneducated, imprecise dialect for Claw's King's Landing persona. If anyone gets annoyed of trying to read it, let me now and I'll stop. Otherwise, I'll stop when I get annoyed of typing it.

SuperCracker
2014-04-28, 03:22 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Chataya’s Brotherl, King’s Landing

The lovely young lady spoke up now, and caught Jonah’s attention by inquiring of his House. He chuckled at her words and shook his head. “My lady,” he put emphasis on the word lady, an answer to her challenge, it seemed, “I suspect that you know just as well as I that House Lorimer is not one of the ‘great’ Houses of Westeros. We may have been in the past, but not today.”

He smiled a knowing smile. “We hail from the Riverlands, which I suspect is quite a bit different than your native Dorne.”

“It is truly a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

MrE
2014-04-28, 04:25 PM

"Prince Oberyn, brother to Prince Doran of House Martell and lord of Sunspear. All in Dorne know the prince, and all have heard a different tale, more true than not. Yes, I have met the Viper" she answers knowingly.

"Lord Lorimer, I make no boast of my knowledge of the lands north of Dorne. I am certain that your house will prosper in these times and become as great as all may hope," the words were empty, but Lyra had been trained by her mother always compliment the House of a new acquaintance, unless you were looking to court, in which case you need not make them think they were to good for you. From then on, Lyra always had a compliment ready. "It is a pleasure."

"Might I ask why you are all here? I must confess, Lord Baelish's summons was a surprise to me."

Vhaidara
2014-04-28, 04:45 PM
Group B

Claw's eyes light up.
I rightly don't know, Lady Sand. Lord Baelish be a noble, and it ain't right for a peasant such's me to question the actions of nobles.
It is pretty clear from his tone that he is being completely serious when he refers to her as "Lady Sand".

SuperCracker
2014-04-28, 04:53 PM
Jonah Lorimer

Jonah hated empty niceties. He understood their purpose, the manners involved. Still, it wasted everyone's time. But such is the game to be played, and he plays the game. As for why they are here, well...

"I don't think we can ascertain that, right now," unless everyone were to volunteer far too much information about themselves. "We will simply have to wait and see."

He looked at the lowborn man who had been talking (Claw). He wouldn't be here unless he had some sort of skill. Some nobody, or some farmer wouldn't be here. Wouldn't be invited to whatever scheme is afoot. And make no mistake, King's Landing is a heaven for schemers.

"What is your name?"

Vhaidara
2014-04-28, 05:02 PM
Group B

Claw responds quickly, as though he'd been expecting this question.
I'm Mern. No one important, just a peasant kid from around here. Pa was Braavosi.

Livius
2014-04-28, 05:04 PM
Kevyn Rivers
Group B,Chataya's Brothel, King's Landing

I take offense to that. I've hardly gone a day of my life without working at something.
"Anything honest?"

Lyra Sand? Never thought I'd meet a Sand. Kevyn muttered to himself.

"Might I ask why you are all here? I must confess, Lord Baelish's summons was a surprise to me."
"Like I said, I came to get paid seeing sights and meeting people. Looks like I've lucked out on that second one." He nods towards Lyra."Kevyn Rivers."

He looked at the lowborn man who had been talking (Claw). He wouldn't be here unless he had some sort of skill. Some nobody, or some farmer wouldn't be here.Jonah doesn't see Kevyn as lowborn even after he mocked nobles for being lazy? Interesting.

MrE
2014-04-28, 06:15 PM

Claw responds quickly, as though he'd been expecting this question.
I'm Mern. No one important, just a peasant kid from around here. Pa was Braavosi.

Lyra didn't doubt that the man was lowborn, or that he had some bravoosi blood, though the rest seemed likely to be lies. She knew enough of Baelish to know he was neither noble, nor interested in peasants. "Indeed."

"Like I said, I came to get paid seeing sights and meeting people. Looks like I've lucked out on that second one." He nods towards Lyra."Kevyn Rivers."

"Another traveler from the riverlands? Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"And where does our learned friend here come from?" she asked, turning to crotchety maester.

Vhaidara
2014-04-28, 06:29 PM
Group B

"Anything honest?"

Claw grins
Define honest for me and I might give ya an answer, m'lord.

Also, I feel Claw qualifies more as a "boy" than a "man"

miinstrel
2014-04-28, 06:35 PM
Calven Janascan

"Something conspiratory, I'm sure." Calven looks around, his eyes narrowed slightly as his eyebrows flick up and down with intrigue. "The king was on his way to Winterfell as I came south. Rumor has it the Warden of the North is soon to be the Hand of the South. Perhaps he will have use for us upon their arrival. Until then, I plan to enjoy the many pleasures this city has to offer." He smiles and pops a grape into his mouth.

SuperCracker
2014-04-28, 06:53 PM
Jonah Lorimer

The name Rivers did draw his attention. It placed him as the bastard son of some house. Jonah didn't wish to ask which one, just yet. With his name, his stance on nobles wasn't a complete shock. Many bastards are treated poorly in Westeros. He certainly stands to inherit nothing. Still, interesting.

"Well met, Kevyn. It is curious why we were both summoned here from the Riverlands."

The Dornish lady, the lying "peasant," and the noble-disparaging son of a noble. They are all outsiders to the politics of King's Landing. Quite possibly hostile to it.

So was Jonah. But at first glance, no one would think that about Jonah. So why did Baelish send for him?

Suddenly this meeting was far more interesting. And this group gathered had far more potential than he'd first realized. There was a subtle light in his eyes at these thoughts. The possibilities.

"Lady Lyra, can you tell me more about the lands you hail from? I've always been interested in places outside of Westeros. I understand that Dorne is far more egalitarian than Westeros."

Mabn
2014-04-28, 07:38 PM
Chataya's Brothel, King's Landing, Westeros Group B

"They have to be, there's not enough of them to lord over." Aisaroth turned to Lyra. "At this point I'm from most places, but the Riverlands most recently."

MrE
2014-04-28, 07:48 PM

"Lady Lyra, can you tell me more about the lands you hail from? I've always been interested in places outside of Westeros. I understand that Dorne is far more egalitarian than Westeros."

"Egalitarian? Our lands are hot, and certainly our blood runs hotter than in other lands. Arianne is heir to Sunspear before her brothers. But not every family is like this, as I imagine is these lands."

[SIZE=2]"They have to be, there's not enough of them to lord over." Aisaroth turned to Lyra. "At this point I'm from most places, but the Riverlands most recently."

Lyra turned her gaze on the sharp tongued maester with interest. Here is one who does not believe in the value of dissembling, or perhaps he knows it all too well. She would not hurry to pigeonhole this man yet. "Perhaps your troubles have cut short your studies, maester, you will find plenty of spears in Dorne and ample hands to take them up."

Mabn
2014-04-28, 08:00 PM

Lyra turned her gaze on the sharp tongued maester with interest. Here is one who does not believe in the value of dissembling, or perhaps he knows it all too well. She would not hurry to pigeonhole this man yet. "Perhaps your troubles have cut short your studies, maester, you will find plenty of spears in Dorne and ample hands to take them up."

Aisaroth smiled briefly and strangely at Lyra's words, but made no further comment.

Tychris1
2014-04-28, 09:38 PM
Davon Barlor
King's Landing, Red Keep, Group A

Davon gripped the slab of meat infront of him with both hands, tearing into the flesh with his teeth as he greedily swallowed it down. It had been quite some time since he'd had a good, honest to the gods meal. Most of the time he ate scraps due to him splitting the food bill with Bloodrush (The horse was a ravenous creature aswell, a fact that Davon's coin purse cried out about) and trying to afford other basic necessities. As it turned out, getting your foot through the door was harder then he thought, but with such an auspicious call from the Hand himself? Fate must truly smile on him to grant him such an opportunity! As the others spoke and greeted each other, Davon focussed on his meat, ensuring that every scrap of flesh was torn off before licking the bone slightly, and dropping it onto his plate with a clatter.

The Cavalier was dressed in his normal suit of black and red spiked armor, freshly groomed and cleaned for his special day in King's Landing. Though in truth he normally walked around everywhere with his armor on, it was never a bad thing to wear protection wherever you went, and aside from his dirty peasant rags he didn't have much else in the form of clothing. Besides, a daunting black suit of armor was just the kind of message and eye grabber Davon wanted anyway! His gauntlets were placed to the side of his plate, a fact that Davon noticed as he reached for them and began to slip them back on one by one. His intimidating, monstrous helm was placed on the opposite side of his plate, favoring his left side, and the gaping maw of the metal beast was pointed away and towards the center of the table. Sliding the last gauntlet on, Davon laughed to himself as he finally decided to chip in.

"I don't know what the King's Hand needs with Ladies and book keepers, but if he needed a lancer then he was looking in the right place! My name is Davon of the house Barlor, and if you give me my steed and a lance I can add plenty of new heads for the spikes outside, I can promise you that! Whatever the Hand might have wanted, it must have required someone getting ridden down."

Yawielas
2014-04-29, 01:09 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen listens to the men introducing themselves, then picks up her glass again, raising it a little. Looking to the last speaker, Davon, she says calmly:"Yes, if it's heads he needs, then the Hand would have no use for me. I cannot contribute much in that department. I would think, though, that there must be another reason, especially since we're such a diverse group, as you say. Of course, he might have had different reasons for all of us, and us being gathered here together could be a practicality rather than a common cause. However, I am not convinced the Master of Whispers doesn't know why we're here." She takes a sip of her goblet, and looks at the others.

Xealot7
2014-04-29, 01:20 AM
Group A:

A young attendant returns to the group and escorts the lot to their new chambers. All five of you are given rooms adjacent to each other, though there appears to be plenty of privacy. "The Hand of the King will call for each of you upon his arrival to King's Landing in three days time." The youth bows before scurrying on to next set of duties. The lot of you a re free to mingle, explore King's Landing, or do essentially as you please until Lord Paramount Eddard Stark calls for you.

There are a wide variety of things to do in King's Landing. Decide where you want to go and visit, or if you prefer to jump into the story, we can fast-forward until the meeting with Eddard Stark.

----------------------------------------

Group B:
Petyr Baelish enters the private meeting room in Chataya's Brothel. He is a rather attractive man who walks with an air of confidence. He has dark, well-kept hair that is showing the first signs of gray at the sides. His piercing eyes and devilish goatee make him appear intimidating though his physical stature does not. His wiry smile is all the evidence you need that he is a truly dangerous character. He wears a dark tunic with a silver pendant of a mockingbird hanging from his neck. Nonetheless, his soft-spoken demeanor sets your mind at ease when he speaks. "Greetings. I am Petry Baelish, Littlefinger, some call me. I am pleased to make the acquaintance of each of you. I know you each wonder why you are here. I will answer that in time. Suffice it to say that each of you have a set of skills that I find useful. I am willing to pay you a generous amount upfront as well as a handsome monthly stipend. More importantly, you will be paid based on what you accomplish and what you learn. Specifically, things you learn that are of use to me. I do not normally allow those working for me to meet each other, however, I wish for the lot of you to work together. I feel that combined, you five will make a formidable team. If you are interested, I will give you your first task, if you are not, then I will be on my way."

MrE
2014-04-29, 06:10 AM

Lyra took in Baelish's appearance carefully, having heard few stories about the Master of Coin, except those that told of his golden touch and great cunning. When she had first received his strange letter she had almost rejected it, seeing that it was clearly some plan, some machination that she wanted no part of. She was no mercenary, whose services could be bought! But Arianne had persuaded her to reconsider, and at the urging of the princess she had traveled all the way to King's Landing. She would find out what Baelish was up to, and report back to her sisters and cousin in Sunspear.

"A team? You make this work seem very exciting lord Baelish. You have certainly sparked my interest. I would here more of what you want from us."

Vhaidara
2014-04-29, 09:20 AM
Group B

Claw's eyes narrow. This man was too smooth. He was a man who would lie while showing his true face. And from what Claw had heard, he was one of the best at it. Which was why Claw needed to work for him. If you must learn a skill, learn from the best.
I'd be right most honored, m'lord. Wot kinda infermatin be ya wantin'?

Livius
2014-04-29, 10:40 AM
Kevyn Rivers
Group B,Chataya's Brothel, King's Landing

Sizable payment upfront. That was all Kevyn needed to hear to know that this trip had paid for itself multiple times. He'd already found 2 potential allies, the Sand and the noble who downplayed nobility as a virtue. There was also the old maester and the small-time King's Landing petty thief, but everything couldn't be perfect.

"I would hate to have wasted any of your time, Lord Baelish. How may I serve you?" If the guy was going to pay him, he would show all the respect he could muster.

SuperCracker
2014-04-29, 11:16 AM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B
Chataya’s Brothel, King’s Landing

Petyr Baelish. Littlefinger. Jonah had heard of the man before, but meeting him was another matter entirely. Before the man spoke, Jonah could see the cunning in his eyes. And when he did speak, his words were honeyed. Dangerous was right. Still, he’s a man with power in the Small Council who seems to be doing his own extracurricular activities. Interesting. The gold wasn’t as alluring as Baelish might have thought, but the opportunities this presented… trading information in King’s Landing.. and with information comes opportunity. And with opportunity, one can change his fate.

“Lord Baelish, I am always interested in making new friends and finding new opportunities. With that in mind, I will hear you out.”

miinstrel
2014-04-29, 11:32 AM
Group A
Calven Janascan
The Red Keep, King's Landing

Calven was rather excited to have Lord Stark in the capital. His allegiance to the Starks should be obvious from his heritage, but he made certain to keep his emotions on the matter neutral. He was serving the Hand, not the Starks. Though they may be the same in body, they were not in title. He thought on the whole matter as he walked through the echoing halls of the Red Keep. It was so much more empty than he'd imagined. The occasional guard at his post or servant rushing past broke the monotony of the painted clay walls, but the rest was silent.

He found his way down to the bluff overlooking the Narrow Sea and marveled at the expansive water. He hadn't traveled much and such a sight was still wondrous in his eyes. The rest of the day was spent in the gardens or around the city as he got to know the layout of the town... and looked for the nearest brothel. Lord Baelish's establishment was quite renowned, perhaps he would head there for a late afternoon tumble.

At some point over the next three days I'd also like to meet with Master Varys if possible and ask him his reasons for bringing me here. It had to have been with his recommendation that I be in attendance because Jon Arryn had no reason to know of me.

Yawielas
2014-04-29, 12:16 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen arises to a new day, and walks over to the large windows to take in the view. She's in King's Landing. The heart of the Seven Kingdoms. The place where power shifts and swirls like eddies in a roaring river. If there is one place where opportunities lies hidden around every corner, side by side with danger, it's here. She smiles. Even though the letter from Jon Arryn had been more than vague, this could be a real chance to accomplish something. Something important.

She moves back to the edge of the large, canopied bed, and gets dressed after washing. She grabs her brush and moves back to the window while brushing her hair. Overlooking a garden, she peers at the trees and bushes, wondering if it is true, the rumours about spies everywhere. She withdraws, into the room, and gets ready for a walk. Her plan is to get to know the castle, and the castle grounds, and perhaps make some friends among the other ladies of the court.

Mabn
2014-04-29, 05:38 PM

Gold wasn't really alluring to Aisaroth as it might have been. He doubted he would ever spend what he made here and he could not leave it to anyone he cared for. And from all he had heard Baelish was a distasteful taskmaster. Taking the trip back to the Riverlands so soon after arriving would be wretched in its own right however. He decided to put his hopes on the work being more interesting than it sounded. He raised his eyebrow reluctantly the master of coin to continue.

Tychris1
2014-04-29, 11:52 PM
Davon Barlor
Red Keep, King's Landing, Westeros, Group A

Davon followed his guide to his room, looking everything over in it before promptly deciding it wasn't too his liking. Not the room itself, it was an excellent room and he would enjoy great sleep on it. It was merely that his place wasn't in walking and talking with the courtly nobles or ladies. As of such there wasn't much else to do in the room except read (Ha!) or eat (A fact he recognized by quickly stuffing his mouth with whatever food was left for him, and stowing away the rest for later). Rather there was a whole city out there for him to explore!

Mounting his trusty steed Bloodrush, Davon began his trek into King's Landing, lance in hand, and head held high. He made sure to command a servant (Oh doing that made him so giddy!) to prepare his room for his arrival late at night. For now Davon had different plans. As lucrative or important as Jon Arryn's plan might have been, Davon still needed money right now , and so he set out into the city for one thing and one thing only. Wealth. Preferably he was looking to beat it out of someone in a gambling brawl, or knock it off a charging knight, but Davon was more then willing to indulge his more bardic side if necessary to acquire coin.

Yawielas
2014-04-30, 02:36 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen wanders through the halls of the Red Keep, in search of a library. She can only imagine the wealth of knowledge that is to be gained here, and now she wants to get her hands on some of it.

Xealot7
2014-04-30, 08:42 AM
Group A:

Davon is able to make a very small amount of money in his backalley brawls. The only problem, the rich people know better than to fight him, and the one who will fight him have little coin. Nonetheless, he is able to manage 3 gold crowns of profit in three days.

Mariwen explorers the the Red Keep and is given access to the library. She finds a fantastic book about the history of the kings of the Iron Throne titled, A Brief History of the King's of the Iron Throne. This book is impressively clear due to wonderful organization. It's easy to determine that it is extremely informative. Making it even more of a find, the contents have a few areas of deep insight. After three days of intense reading from front to back, Mariwen will receive a +2 to her next Knowlege: Nobility skill check. As she walks the city she catches a glimpse of an individual she thinks she recognizes as a Tully Bannerman.

Calven takes in the beauty of King's Landing. He finds Chataya's Brothel and is given all the pleasure he can handle for a measly 1 gold crown. To Calven Only Send me a PM with the information you wish to discuss with Varys.

After the requisite three days, the group returns to the dining hall where the Hand of the King, Eddard Stark is awaiting them. He speaks quickly and seems to hide nothing. "Greetings. You all know me I assume so let us move on past the pleasantries. Jon Arryn sent for you. I do not know why, though I know he had good reason. From reading through his notes, I have found that he brought you here based on information from others. Furthermore it has been brought to my attention that perhaps Jon Arryn's death was not an accident. I ask that each of you look into this matter, discreetly, and report back to me with your findings. You will be compensated and if your information is of value, I may have further use for the lot of you. Are there any questions?"

Group B
Chataya's Brothel, King's Landing

Littlefinger smiles upon hearing everyone's reply. "Of course, the money will be good, but I also suspect that each of you are staying for a variety of reasons." He leans in whispers, as if he is about to reveal a big secret. "It is obvious that none of you hold any love for the ruling class in King's Landing. You get a chance to be paid to learn what you can about them. I have found that there are some new players in this web we weave. I need to know who they are and what they are up to. Also, I will pay on any information you can acquire on any players in this Game of Thrones. Questions for me?"

Vhaidara
2014-04-30, 09:08 AM
Group B

Claw's eyes gleam. His training at the temple would be useful in this pursuit.
Of course m'lord. Who are the marks?

MrE
2014-04-30, 09:18 AM

The commoner, Mern, beat her to her first question, but that gave her more time to consider this challenge. So Baelish wanted information, well so did she, and her father had hinted more than once that he wanted to know what his enemies were doing in the Red Keep. What had Baelish said? 'None of you hold any love for the ruling class in King's Landing'. What did that say about the others? Who were these who Baelish felt he could trust against the Lannisters and Baratheons?

"My lord, I was led to believe you were the Master of Coin, not the Master of Whisperers. If the crown needed more information about these players, surely lord Varys would have called us?" She let the obvious question hang in the air: was this not then, for King Robert, but for Baelish himself?

Tychris1
2014-04-30, 10:46 AM
Davon Barlor
King's Landing, Red Keep, Westeros, Group A

Davon was entranced at the sight of Eddard Stark. The Hand of the King AND proctetorate of the north? A lord of a castle, with bannermen galore at his beck and call! A proud family lineage, with a great history behind it! He was a truly admirable and enviable man, a figure that Davon looked up to. So much so that the hulking black knight didn't entirely register what was said, atleast not at first.

"Yes my lord, actually, two questions. The first of which being selfish in nature, though no less realistic in its necessity for sustaining day to day life. Exactly how much payment are we talking about? Furthermore, I cannot exactly speak for the others, but I am a stranger to this extravagant corner of the world, and am rather lost. In short, where precisely do we start?"

miinstrel
2014-04-30, 11:16 AM
Group A
Calven Janascan

Declining his head graciously, Calven replies, "Of course, Lord Stark; I would be honored to assist in the matter." He then turns and speaks to Davon. "The King has many enemies which the Hand also inherits. I believe finding them should be our first order of business." Returning his gaze to Eddard he continues, "Though you are as new to King's Landing as we, have your talks with King Robert revealed any in the city that would wish the late Arryn ill? Even just among the nobility there are many faces to follow; far too many for the few of us."

Yawielas
2014-04-30, 12:16 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen listened intently to Lord Stark's short speech, and nods. "Certainly, Lord Stark. I'll offer any assistance that I can. If I may ask, is Lady Arryn still at the Keep? I'd like to talk to her if she is. And I'm curious as to whom the late Hand got his information about me from, do you know?"

SuperCracker
2014-04-30, 03:42 PM
Jonah Lorimer

Had Jonah been a man of less restraint, he would have narrowed his eyes at what Littlefinger said. Not because of the content of the words, but because of the question it raised. How did he know that Jonah felt this way? Jonah rarely, if ever, discussed his true feelings on the matter. Furthermore, he lived in an unimportant spot of Westeros. How far did Littlefinger’s web of intrigue stretch?

Jonah instead made no comment about it. It seemed some of the others were taking it as fact. It was, in Jonah’s case. It also confirmed his suspicion, and made things much, much more interesting.

“What information do you currently possess? Who do you suspect? Where should we be looking?”

Mathis
2014-04-30, 07:04 PM
Group A

Wendel spent the last three days getting to know the Red Keep and King's Landing. It was much larger than White Harbor but from the vantage points of the Red Keep it didn't take him long to learn the basic geography of its streets. Baelor's Sept, the Street of Steel, Flea Bottom and the Fish Market all were decently familiar to him now. He doesn't spend more time in one place than another, always on the move. When the time came to meet with Eddard Stark he was in the court room of the Red Keep, watching the glorious Iron Throne.

Sitting with everyone else back in the dining hall he looks as awestruck as Davon and has a hard time keeping enthusiasm from his voice when he says, "This really is a great honour your Lord eh...Hand Stark. Is that the right title? I thought Arryn died of a sickness though? This could prove damned difficult but I'll anything for the Starks." He pauses and leans forward across the table after everyone has had their say, "I really think we should work together in this, we will accomplish a lot more if we pool our abilities rather then spread them thin eh?"

Xealot7
2014-05-02, 04:24 AM
Group A
Red Keep, King's Landing

Ned Stark does not miss a beat. It is almost as if he expected the question. "Sir Barlor, the stipend will be fifty gold crowns up front. The accuracy, usefulness, and authenticity of your information will determine future pay. Serve the Crown and my Officer well in this, and you can expect future jobs and the prestige that goes with such. As for where to start, I have little information. My suggestion would be to narrow down your search. What could have caused his death? Who would have wanted him dead. Three things are required for murder: Opportunity, Intent, Capability. Find who had all three perhaps?"

The Hand of the King turns to Calven. "Lord Janascan, I love the King and will eternally serve him faithfully, but he rarely concerns himself with matters of intrigue and subterfuge. He believes, as do most, that Jon Arryn's death was of natural causes. I do not, nor does Jon Arryn's wife."

"Lady Mariwen, the Lady Lysa has already returned to the Eyrie so that she and Lord Robin might properly grieve the passing of their husband and father. King's Landing is no place for grieving." He contemplates Lady Mariwen for a moment. "I have access to Lord Arryn's notes and journals. If you are mentioned in what I possess, I will pass the information to you once it is uncovered.

"Lord Flint, you may be correct, and perhaps it is paranoia, but I made a promise to my wife that I would investigate on behalf of her sister. I am sorry, but I do not have any more information to go on."

"Please remember, that you represent the Hand of the King in all that you do. I ask that you keep anything you find a secret and bring it directly to me. If information about this get out, it could potentially endanger you all." Ned Stark turns and begins to walk out before returning. He seems slightly annoyed now, where before he did not. "Oh, the King is having a grand tournament in my honor. Each of you are invited. You are also allowed to compete in the various events. It will be in one weeks time. There will be jousting, one on one sword combat, and an archery competition." With that the Hand of the King leaves you to your own devices.

Ned Stark smiles at all of you. "If this is agreeable then I will have your gold delivered to your rooms. I have faith in all of you."

----------------------------

Group B

Peter Baelish smiles at Claw's eagerness. "There are five new arrivals to King's Landing. The were supposed to be working for Jon Arryn. Here are there names. Find what you can about them. More specifically, find what they are doing here now that Jon Arryn is dead."

Littlefinger smirk's as he answer's Lyra's question. "Yes, I am sure Varys would have called you if the Crown needed your services. As chance would have it, I am the one paying for your services. I would prefer that only those in this room know of that."

To Johnah, Littlefinger has little else to offer. "I have no additional information save for what I have told your counterparts."

A leather pouch containing 100 gold crows is placed into each one of your hands with a wink. With that Littlefinger turns and leaves you to decide how to accomplish your task.

MrE
2014-05-02, 04:48 AM

"This task does not seem so hard," Lyra muses, but inwardly wonders: if so, why bring the five of us this far? There must be more at work that encouraged Baelish to bring us from distant lands to King's Landing. I will make sure never to forget that. I will always second guess his motives.

"If they were summoned by Jon Arryn, they may well be at the Tower of the Hand, and if not, someone there will likely know whom Lord Arryn invited. Lord Jonah, I imagine we will be the only ones who my enter the Red Keep: if you will accompany me? The rest of you: perhaps you could pass yourselves off as our retinue, unless you have other avenues you wish to pursue?"

Vhaidara
2014-05-02, 09:00 AM
Group B

Claw smiles broadly
Really, Lady Sand? The Red Keep itself? I never been up there. I be honored to be yer escort.
So, we are spies for the lord of coin set upon workers for the lord of affairs.

Mabn
2014-05-02, 09:40 AM

Aisaroth dismissed Lyra's request. "I do indeed." Leaving the brothel he bought a room at a nearby inn and sent a runner to the appropriate shops of kings landing to order some family records.

knowledge local to find a supplier:[roll0]

knowledge nobility checks for
davin barlor[roll1]
calvin janascan[roll2]
mariwen edgewater[roll3]
wendel flint[roll4]
with a +2 for possessing a heritage book on 2 of the checks for the first 2 appropriate heritage books I can find (50 gold each)

Livius
2014-05-02, 12:08 PM
Kevyn Rivers
Chataya's Brothel, King's Landing, Group B

Retinue. The word added to the other oddities about Lyra Sand. Why would this Dornish bastard, who thought she was a noble, come all the way to King's Landing alone just for work? There must be a missing piece somewhere, and Kevyn had a guess what it looked like. But how to check his suspicions?

"Perhaps it would be better for me to embed myself among the workers or guards of the Red Keep. If these people really are working for someone there, they'll probably have to return every so often. Even if they don't, it sounds like that would be a good place to be."

Kevyn hurried out of the brothel and started his search. He'd get to the Red Keep eventually, but he had something else to do first.

Mathis
2014-05-02, 12:35 PM
Group A

Wendel could hardly contain himself at the prospect of working for Lord Eddard Stak personally. The honour was almost too great, almost. "I have to say Lord Stark, the honour you show me is without peer in my memory. You have my word I will do my very best to find out what happened to Jon Arryn, foul play or not." He stood and bowed politely and then sat back down to let the others do the same, letting the tourney go unmentioned. As soon as Stark turns to leave the room he says to the group. "Regardless of whether or not we decide to work closely together in this we should agree to meet somewhere once a day to report upon our progress and findings. If we don't I suspect our work will become woefully inefficient." He looks about the room and after a short theatrical break continues with, "I suggest a smaller room than this, somewhere less public of course."

"I hope that taking the word like this does not come off as rudeness or an insult to your persons, but we have to organize this. If the worst is true, and Lord Arryn was murdered then his murderer would probably take offense to our investigation and we should strive for secrecy. Organization can be both helpful and I suppose harmful in achieving it so feel free to object He continues without pause, looking all of you in the eyes in turn as he speaks. "We should start with the man's squire, I'm sure he had one. He should be able to tell us where the Lord Arryn spent his last remaining days and what he did during them. If the squire fails to be cooperative, everyone's favourite spider might be of help. the Grandmaester undoubtedly assisted in Jon Arryn's care as he passed considering his station, knowing the exact cause of death could only be beneficial in our investigation. We can reconsider where to go from there, but it should be a helpful start."

Tychris1
2014-05-02, 02:14 PM

Davon's face practically exploded in joy when Lord Stark mentioned a tournament. A tournament! In the honor of the Hand of the King! Gold, Glory, Guts! It was what he had always hoped for! He was practically squirming in his seat, chaffing his skin in a fit of pure childish energy. He barely contained himself long enough to bow to the Hand of the King as he left.

"A tournament!"

He exhaled out the word like it was a fabric of the air he breathed. He began to pace back and forth, his armored gauntlet wrapped around the back of his head, rubbing it.

"With the King himself present! Lords and ladies from across the land, all gathered together for such a rapturous event! Haha! And if the King is there, then his Kingsguard would be bound to be there...."

His mouth practically quivered as he thought of it, his mind having to block out the image to prevent himself from collapsing in a fit of euphoria. Pivoting on the balls of his heels, Davon turned to Flint as he finished talking.

"Yes, a daily meeting would be wise. No middlemen, we should talk face to face, so as to avoid spies or fakes intercepting them and taking their place..... And with this tournament close at hand, I believe it will give us a unique opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. The King would be bound to bring some of his advisors to the tournament, allowing us to question the Spider. And with the tournament in honor of the King's Hand, it only seems appropriate that the last Hand's squire would be present in some fashion or another."

Davon could almost explode in ecstacy.

SuperCracker
2014-05-02, 02:34 PM
Jonah Lorimer

Jonah accepted the pouch, which disappeared into his satchel. While gold was gold, it was an afterthought. The real question was what game Littlefinger intended to play once he had this information… and how Jonah could take advantage of it. Lyra was quick to move, suggesting an eagerness that Jonah could appreciate in this situation.

He waited for Kevyn Rivers to hurry out before he replied.

“I think that our friend Mern here should look the part. Go get what you need to look like a noble’s servant. I think Lady Lyra and I need to discuss what our answer will be when someone asks why a Dornish woman travels with a man from the Riverlands.”

He looked at Lyra and motioned with his hand. “Let’s take a walk. We’ll meet back here in half an hour’s time.”

MrE
2014-05-02, 03:15 PM

"A prudent course," Lyra notes rising with Jonah and stepping out of the brothel. It was lucky they were in a more affluent area of town, otherwise Lyra's beautiful dress would have been almost immediately ruined. Fortunately she did have more durable clothing for any forays into the darker parts of town.

SuperCracker
2014-05-02, 03:28 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Stepping out onto the streets of King's Landing

Jonah walked out of the brothel with Lady Lyra. Though he wore decent clothes over his more functional garb, his boots were still made for rough and tumble. So wherever they went was no issue.

He looked around once, looking for anything suspicious before he began his conversation.

Yawielas
2014-05-02, 03:34 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen nods at Lord Stark when he answers her questions, and bows her head when he leaves. "Thank you, Lord Stark." She listens to the others' reactions, and smiles at Flint's suggestion. "Yes. I agree. Also, if this mission is as dangerous as the Hand says, then it'd be wise to share our information so that it won't be lost if one of us should be..." Looking to Davon, she says:"Will you be participating in the tournament, sir Barlor? What about you, gentlemen?" She looks at the other two men. (not sure if miss Snow is here)

MrE
2014-05-02, 04:31 PM
Lyra Sand & Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Otside Chataya's Brothel, King's Landing

As they stepped into the street, Lyra turned to Jonah and asked: "Did you have any ideas in mind? I have not had much time to consider it, but I can think of a few avenues worth exploring."

"It will benefit you to know that my lady mother is Allyria Dayne of Starfall, one of the greatest of the Dornish Houses. Even a bastard of that clan has status."

For his part, Jonah looked around once as they did so. He turned towards her and offered a thoughtful look.

"Perhaps trade. My house has a mine, not much else. But we could benefit from more exotic goods from Dorne. Perhaps you and I are together to build that relationship."

"And why would that necessitate the two of us meeting in King's Landing? I must be frank, as a woman and a Sand, few would believe that my House trusted me to negotiate on their behalf, and further, why would my house allow a young woman to travel alone?"

"I had thought to suggest that we were courting. I believe that such a match could be considered even between us: for by your own admission your house is minor, whereas mine is great. Children of mine may also have some claim to Starfall, once my uncle is gone. We were sent to meet in neutral ground, but my guardian, an old maester, was taken sick. He may join us later, but trusts me to your company in the meantime."

"Does this work for you?"

He nodded in appreciation of her analysis.

"Well, the stories do fit together if our houses intend for us to marry. Your family is able to marry you off to a noble house and we gain access to warmer relations with Dorne."

He paused for a moment, watching her with blue eyes.

"You're very astute, Lady Lyra."

He motioned her forward, beginning to walk. He made a turn off of the busier streets, to a place more quiet. Once he was satisfied no one was around to listen, he would lean in closer to her and whisper.

"Littlefinger was right about me, and how I feel towards the Stag and the Lion."

"Right about your overwhelming adoration for our king and his queen's family?" Lyra replied sternly. "So that was directed at you? I share some of your sentiment: Dorne was never a supporter of King Robert's rebellion, and many remember what Tywin Lannister's pet monster did to Elia Martell."

"But if we are to work together, I would hope that you could lay personal grievance aside. We will need to be focused here. The capital is dangerous. And Baelish is the king's Master of Coin, never forget that."

"I know well what Tywin's beast did to your kinsman. And what happened to Elia's husband."

He made no further comment about it, his voice kept at a quiet whisper this whole time.

"I intend to be focused. I intend to smile and play nice with whomever I must, for as long as I must. Including our erstwhile employer. But make no mistake, that man cannot be trusted. When his interests are no longer served by us, he'll cast us away. We should be prepared to do the same.

"Do you still wish to work together?"

"Then we are agreed. Baelish is as dangerous as the Spider. I was warned."

"I will happily work with you, lord Jonah Lorrimer. Shall we return now? Your manservant will be missing us. And we may find it prudent to arrange with mistress Chataya to leave messages for the others, though none that we wouldn't mind Littlefinger seeing."

He nodded to her as she agreed.

"Then let us be friends and allies. Should you call for my help, I will give it."

He grinned at returning to his manservant, withholding a chuckle, in fact.

"Yes. We'll communicate through messages in lieu of practical meeting occasions. We should do our best to figure out the other three, as well."

He nodded and then began walking back towards the Brothel.

Vhaidara
2014-05-02, 04:40 PM
Group B

During the break, Claw decides to try and disguise himself as man from Dorne before returning to the brothel.

[roll0]

Mathis
2014-05-02, 05:59 PM
Group A

"No Lady Edgewater, I don't think I will be taking part in the tourney. Perhaps the archery contest but my skills most certainly don't lay with weapons. Besides, the melee has the bothersome potential for unwanted bloodshed and I would rather not risk loosing a hand or an eye for sport." Wendel leans back in his chair and drums his fingers on the table impatiently.

"As for you Lord Davon...Burly was it? You are probably right, advisers and the squire will probably be around the tournament but I don't see why we can't contact them now, or tomorrow at the latest? The tournament is after all ten days away! That's an awfully long time to wait with something as important as this task don't you think? We should schedule a meeting with Lord Varys for tonight, or tomorrow. The squire however can't possibly be so busy as to not meet us today don't you think?"

MrE
2014-05-03, 02:08 PM

"What is that?" Lyra asks, unable to make out what Mern has done to his clothing. "Lord Jonah and I have decided that we'll act as though we are courting, and that you are his footman. We may need to get you some new clothes."

Vhaidara
2014-05-03, 02:15 PM
Group B

Claw grimaces at the lack of progress he made.
That might be easier, Lady Sand. But doubt that we have the time to get new clothes made.

Okay, it's officially giving me a headache to try and type like that. Please just add the yokel in your heads until I say otherwise, if you please.
Oh, and I almost forgot Mern was me.

MrE
2014-05-03, 06:52 PM

"Perhaps not. In that case you must try and attract as little attention as possible, and we will treat you as below our notice. I may have to instruct you on better dress sense once this is done."

Vhaidara
2014-05-03, 06:58 PM
Group B

His grimace turns to a grin
Not attracting attention is something I can do. I would be overjoyed for you to help me with my dress, especially since you may have the money, Lady Sand. And thank you.

SuperCracker
2014-05-03, 11:30 PM
Jonah Lorimer

Mern did look utterly ridiculous when they first walked in. Jonah even cracked a bit of a grin, threatening to chuckle with some mirth. They were playing a dangerous game, but some levity was nice.

“Dress plainly, Mern. My men don’t wear great finery, and typically neither do I. And as of now, to anyone concerned, you are one of my men.”

He looked Claw in the eye and clapped him on the shoulder.

“We’re committing to a very serious course of action. I want to rely upon you to be my eyes and ears, to watch my back as I will watch yours. I’m choosing to put my faith in you. Will you help me?”

Vhaidara
2014-05-03, 11:38 PM
Group B

Claw's expression becomes one of shock, and he clutches at his chest.
My Lord, do you doubt my faithful nature? You wound me.

SuperCracker
2014-05-03, 11:45 PM
Jonah Lorimer

He smirked.

“I suspect ‘tis only a flesh wound,” he jests. “Sincerely, though. I know not where you come from, who you have served before, if any. But I remember my friends. I honor the good that is done for me.”

Vhaidara
2014-05-03, 11:48 PM
Group B

Claw's smile doesn't fade as he responds.
We've been over this. I'm from King's Landing, and I have served my king. Now I serve Lord Baelish, since he pays better.

SuperCracker
2014-05-03, 11:51 PM
Jonah Lorimer

The last part he believes.

“Very well. Go make yourself presentable and we’ll be off.”

Vhaidara
2014-05-04, 12:06 AM
Group B

Claw moves into one of the side rooms that the brothel doubtless has, and emerges a few minutes later wearing the clothes he had on at the beginning of Littlefinger's meeting.

SuperCracker
2014-05-04, 12:07 AM
Jonah Lorimer

When Claw comes out, Jonah looks at him once and then nods. “Good enough.”

Xealot7
2014-05-05, 01:58 AM
Group A

Before leaving the Hand of the King states that he will be glad to meet in a small study near a small library that is reserved for use by the Hand of the King. There is minimal foot traffic there. He mentions that early morning meetings will be best, one hour before sunrise.

Wendel suggests meeting with Jon Arryn's squire. A little inquiring about squire Hugh leads them to find that he will be knighted as Sir Hugh of the Vale on the morrow. It seems that he is having a small... "banquet" thrown for him later this evening. It will be a small gathering in a dining hall of the Red Keep. Thankfully, Lord Eddard Stark, in his infinite wisdom, has gotten the four of you access to all of the important events at the Red Keep. Your names will be on the list, so to speak.

Davon is as excited as can be for a chance to prove his mettle at the Tournament for the Hand of the King. It is rumored to be one of the largest tournaments in the past decade.

Mariwen seems considered about the dangers of the jobs... and rightly so. There are only two things certain in King's Landing... Death, and Taxes.

------------------------------------

Group B

Working surprisingly well together, the new-found group decides to infiltrate the Red Keep.

Aisaroth finds a quaint little bookshop that has study rooms available with any purchase. He is able to find information on House Flint, House Barlor, and House Edgewater rather easily in the first book. It is a rather popular and somewhat common book of Heritage. It is easy to read and seems to be made for the general public. The second book is an extremely obscure, but highly detailed book of Heritage. It has information on all four of the individuals in question. This book is of extremely great quality and the penmanship is exquisite. This is a truly rare book that you feel lucky to have been able to purchase for such a price. It may easily become your favorite book. With his books in hand, Aisaroth, is able to find all sorts of information about the four individuals called to the Red Keep. Afterall, it is rather easy to find what you wish to know when you know who you are looking for. The elder scholar is able to come up with rather detailed reports on the four individuals in question. This includes Houses,

Lyra and Jonah come up with a rather believable plan to enter the Red Keep. It is plausible, and if they play their cards correctly, could be exactly what is needed to gain the trust, or at least gather information on the four targets in question. Mern, as he has chosen to be called, will act as a squire for the two.

Kevyn decides to infiltrate the keep as a worker. If he can get inside it could be beneficial to not have all of the groups eggs in one basket.

Aisaroth sets up a meeting with the rest of the group to tell them what he has learned.

A few hours later, Lord Baelish sends and invitation for the group to attend a special banquet for Squire Hugh of the Vale, who is to be knighted tomorrow morning by King Robert himself. The banquet is a short time away. Littlefinger does explain why you are to attend the banquet, but you think you can guess why.

Yawielas
2014-05-05, 06:44 AM
Mariwen Edgewater
The Red Keep, King's landing, Group A

Mariwen will gladly attend the banquet. Before that, however, she asks one of the servants for the name of whoever did lady Arryn's hair before grand occasions. Knowing the elaborate hairdos of noble ladies takes quite a long time to accomplish, she wishes both to get ready for the banquet, and also to talk to the hairdresser. They are a good source of gossip...and if she can manage to get Lyssa Arryn's hairdresser, perhaps she knows something about the lady's concerns or suspicions...

Rolling for info gathering: Diplomacy? [roll0]

miinstrel
2014-05-05, 12:11 PM
Group A
Calven Janascan

Calven will, of course, attend the feast for the soon-to-be Sir Hugh. Before that, however, he would like to take a look at this library Lord Stark mentioned. Are there discreet ways to enter or travel to the room? As these are secret meetings, the less noticed he is, even before dawn, the better.

Before the banquet, Calven lays out some of his finery for special occasions. In the north, it would be exquisite, but among the fashionistas and money down here, the clothes will likely seem quaint and uninspired. Perhaps a visit to the tailor is in order... If there's time, he will be fit for something with the latest trends, but in grays and whites. He looks at himself from all sides in the mirror in his room. Something with a discreet slit for a dagger beneath the clothing. Yes, that will do nicely...

Tychris1
2014-05-05, 01:53 PM
Davon Barlor
King's Landing, The Red Keep, Group A

Davon would never pass up the opportunity to witness a Squire become knighted, and thus decides to attend Hugh's banquet. Yet Davon is not sewn from the same clothe as these noblemen and ladies of King's Landing. He is a warrior at heart, a truer knight (Well, atleast in his own eyes) then any other "Ser" he has personally met, and thus he does not bother himself with their frivolties. He does not go shopping for clothes or fashion, but instead for equipment and protection, procuring proper military riding gear for Bloodrush, and a heavy axe for him to use (For a lance is not fit for those on foot). King's Landing is a dangerous place, where subterfuge and manipulation are shield and sword. And Davon would need his finest protection if he planned to live a long and healthy life.

Mathis
2014-05-06, 03:49 AM
Group A

Slightly offended that his last questions went unanswered by this Burly fellow, Wendel simply moves on and agrees to meet everyone at the banquet later that night. He also wanted to check out this study for himself and hurries after Calven who was already on the way theren unless Calven goes out of his way to be sneaky about it. "You know, Calven was it? I believe this could be start of something great for us, for all of us. Working for the Hand, even though the work is somewhat paranoid and I suspect will lead us to nowhere. It might lead us to becoming useful and in my experience usefulness to powerful people means you are powerful yourself. Especially in a place like King's Landing and especially working for the Hand. Really, we're basically working directly for the King himself! If we are going to be successful I think we need to be able to trust each other. Lord Barlor and Lady Edgewater are capable in their own rights I suppose, but I just can't bring myself to fully trust a man who always wears armor. Can you? Who has he pissed off to warrant such precaution? As for Lady Edgewater, she is probably a smart woman, but she is after all just a woman. But you Calven, we're both from the North and you strike me as a capable person. I want to trust you, can I?"

MrE
2014-05-06, 12:13 PM
Group B Chataya's Brothel, King's Landing

"Welcome back Aisaroth, Kevyn," Lyra says as the two return. "Lord Baelish has gifted us with invitations to a banquet tonight at the Red Keep. It seems to me to be a perfect chance for us to find out more about the situation here and to look into these 'characters'."

"Jonah and myself have concocted a story: we shall pretend to be courting, and Mern is my footman. I had thought Aisaroth, you may consent to be a chaperone? If not, you may go about your business elsewhere, but it will make it more credible when we are seen in each others company in the future."

"Baelish has not stated his purpose, but I do not think we should pass up this opportunity." With the others agreeing to the plot, Lyra changed into her second fanciest dress, sliding her blowgun up the sleeve. She would have to find some more easily concealed knives in future, she decided, stowing her dornish short blade and bow along with her remaining belongings.

Vhaidara
2014-05-06, 02:18 PM
Group B

When Lyra finishes changing, she will find Mern waiting outside of her room.
Are you prepared to go, Lady Sand?
He is holding a dagger in his left hand.

Mabn
2014-05-06, 02:45 PM
brothel, kings landing, group b

Aisaroth made no particular effort to change his appearance, but he did leave his crossbow at the inn. If people wondered why he was in armor they could just sex themselves.

As he joined with the group he suddenly stiffened. "I'm wearing my chain. I have the magic, xenobiology, and subterranean links on my chain. There's no one else on the planet I could be and any maester who sees me will know it with basic research."

MrE
2014-05-06, 03:20 PM

"I am. I hope this evening won't call for any fighting: we are after all, only trying to find out what this group is here for, not to kill them. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared." She allowed Jonah to take her arm and then proceeded the short distance to the Red Keep.

Yawielas
2014-05-06, 03:43 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

After taking a bath, getting her hair done, and hopefully gaining some useful information in the process, Mariwen checks through her wardrobe for a suitable dress for the occation. A knighting is usually a formal affair, and she will dress accordingly, but certainly not too conservative. This is King's Landing, after all, and the dresses they wear seem to reflect on the warmer weather. She chooses a dark blue dress in a fine linen, with gold embroidery along the sleeves and across the bosom. While she gets dressed, she regrets not making any arrangements for an escort to the banquet.

Vhaidara
2014-05-06, 05:14 PM
Claw, Foundling of the Black and White Temple, Mern of King's Landing
Group B

Before she can take Jonah's arm, Mern holds out the dagger to her.
Better safe than sorry. Loan of a knife? I can show you how to conceal it.

MrE
2014-05-06, 05:27 PM

Lyra knew a little at least of smuggling weapons, what with her mother's disapproval of her skills, but she hadn't managed to bring a knife small enough with her. Who knows, Mern's dagger might prove useful, and if it was discovered, she could always feign a woman's fear of a foreign and famously corrupt city, not that she feared for innocence she had already lost.

"I will accept that offer, Mern, on both counts, though you will instruct with words." Her stern gaze made it clear she would not let him stick his hands anywhere on her person he considered 'hidden'.

Vhaidara
2014-05-06, 05:30 PM
Group B

Mern frowns.
I would never dream of trying that. I did just hand you a knife.
He looks her over, then instructs her in a good place to hide the knife.

Sleight of Hand to Aid Another for Lyra's check to conceal the weapon: [roll0]

MrE
2014-05-06, 05:55 PM

"Like this?" Lyra asked, sliding the dagger beneath her clothing. She felt the need to out do Mern, just to prove to the others her abilities from the outset.

Sleight of Hand: [roll0] (9 + 2 from Aid Another +1 from Competitive trait)

Vhaidara
2014-05-06, 06:06 PM
Group B

Mern looks impressed.
I didn't expect a lady of stature like you to know dirty tricks like this. If I hadn't given it to you, I'd never have guessed you were armed.

MrE
2014-05-06, 06:09 PM

"There is much you don't know about me, but I thank you for the compliment." With that, now finally being ready, they left for the banquet.

SuperCracker
2014-05-06, 06:29 PM
Jonah

He wasn't as good at concealing weapons as the others, but a dagger in the boot was always a nice thing to have. So he slipped it in. He was traveling around King’s Landing without an armed escort, after-all. If questioned about it, that was his story.

He wore his courtly garments, a white long shirt, cinched at the waist with a black belt. He had a blue vest that he wore over all of it, and black trousers. He was clearly flying Lorimer colors.

After watching Lyla and Mern seek to outdo each other on how well-versed they were with concealing weapons (and possibly further skullduggery), Jonah simply gave a small grin and took Lyra’s arm.

“Let us be off, my dearest. We don’t want to be late.”

Mabn
2014-05-06, 09:12 PM

"So were we abandoning the stealth, are you all horrifically unobservant, or are your minds overtaxing themselves?" Aisaroth continued to follow the rest of the party.

MrE
2014-05-07, 03:02 AM
"You will have to explain yourself more clearly, learned maester,"" Lyra replies, "What have we failed to observe? What stealth have we forgotten?"

Mabn
2014-05-07, 02:25 PM

"This is kings landing. People look into other people. If you are found out Baelish will kill you. If we go as we are I and then you will be found out." Aisaroth paused here. "I should probably explain more. People are at gatherings. Death is fatal. You are, until I have evidence to the contrary, a person." Aisaroth looked at Lyra with a face that was hopeful but didn't expect much.

Vhaidara
2014-05-07, 02:30 PM
Group B

Mern looks at the old man with confusion in his eyes.
And how are we abandoning stealth? Our weapons are concealed, and they are purely a matter of security. And what reason would Lord Baelish have to kill us? He sent us the invitation, and we are going to investigate on his behalf. It hardly seems like a good idea for him to kill us for attending.

Mabn
2014-05-07, 02:47 PM

Aisaroth adopted a look of deep sadness. "I see the problem. I am attending as a maester. Every maester wears a chain they have studied that tells someone looking at it what they have studied. I mentioned when I joined you "I'm wearing my chain. I have the magic, xenobiology, and subterranean links on my chain. There's no one else on the planet I could be and any maester who sees me will know it with basic research." Somehow I suspect all four of you managed to not hear this comment.
Now in the meantime I removed the more unique links with two pairs of tongs and a horrifically powerful topically applied incendiary, so I am in fact now ready to go, but my confidence in all of you has dropped rather low."

MrE
2014-05-07, 03:35 PM
"Unless you have some secret you have not spoken of, then I'm not certain what the issue is in attending under our true names? False guises only make us seem more suspicious."

SuperCracker
2014-05-07, 03:44 PM
Jonah

“Precisely. You were selected by my father to keep my hands off of my future bride before the wedding. He isn’t around to contradict the story. And if that’s still a problem, then perhaps have you considered… taking the chain off?”

He said, giving the old man a flat look.

Mabn
2014-05-07, 11:17 PM

Aisaroth looked suddenly startled. "Oh. I misunderstood the plan completely. You think someone would believe I myself care about house Lorimer enough to serve as chaperon. Hm, you do all seem to think it plausible. Perhaps I have over-thought things. In any rate, if I am being myself you are correct that this chain is pointless. Not that a 100 year old maester without his chain on is harder to identify, but the stupid thing is heavy."

miinstrel
2014-05-08, 12:30 AM
Group A
Calven Janascan
Red Keep, King's Landing

"You know, Calven was it? I believe this could be start of something great for us, for all of us. Working for the Hand, even though the work is somewhat paranoid and I suspect will lead us to nowhere. It might lead us to becoming useful and in my experience usefulness to powerful people means you are powerful yourself. Especially in a place like King's Landing and especially working for the Hand. Really, we're basically working directly for the King himself! If we are going to be successful I think we need to be able to trust each other. Lord Barlor and Lady Edgewater are capable in their own rights I suppose, but I just can't bring myself to fully trust a man who always wears armor. Can you? Who has he pissed off to warrant such precaution? As for Lady Edgewater, she is probably a smart woman, but she is after all just a woman. But you Calven, we're both from the North and you strike me as a capable person. I want to trust you, can I?"

"I fully agree with your paradigm, my friend. It is truly amazing what knowing the right people can do for one's influence." His speech is calm and purposeful. "As paranoid as it may seem, The former Hand had good reason for calling those he had on good authority could be trusted. I suspect there is more afoot than any of us, even Lord Stark, knows just yet." Calven folds his arms with the fingers of one hand resting gently on his chin and gesturing occasionally from that position.

"Those that cannot joust with the mind must enforce their will with prowess. The truly powerful man needn't lift a finger to move mountains. I suspect Lord Barlor has more to him than he shows, at least I hope as much. And there are certain things the fairer sex can do that we cannot. We all have our uses, though I would like very much for us to work together if not merely for duty than for our common loyalties. I was just on my way to find this study Lord Stark mentioned. Would you care to join me?"

SuperCracker
2014-05-08, 12:45 AM
Jonah

His eyes narrowed ever so slightly. “Use your mighty intellect and pretend.”

A pause, to make sure there was no further discord from anyone collected.

“Now, if there are no objections, shall we?”

Mathis
2014-05-08, 10:31 AM
Group A

"A great initiative Lord Janascan. I would love to come with you, I was actually thinking about going there myself. I hope you are right about our fellow investigators, or this might become a heavy burden for us to carry."

Wendel joins Calven in finding the study then goes to the library for a few hours before preparing for the banquet.

Yawielas
2014-05-08, 11:26 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen makes sure her personal knick knacks are packed away, then leaves her room, strolling slowly towards where the banquet is being held.

Xealot7
2014-05-10, 09:24 AM
Group A

Mariwen has a deviously cunning plan to acquire the services of the same hairdresser as Lady Arryn of the Vale. With a bit of flatter she is able to deduce who the late Jon Arryn's wife's hairdresser is. That bad news is that it was one of her personal attendants who are with her in the Vale. Not to be discouraged, Mariwen is still able to get an appointment with a fine hairdresser with some noble clientele. While she learns nothing from the hairdresser, another of her clients, one Lady Laina Thorne, is talking about how she hopes to impress the king again so that she might have another... "rumble in the royal bedchamber" if you know what she means. Interesting gossip at the least.

Calven and Wendel are able to recon the library. It is very small and well off of the well beaten paths of the Red Keep. If there are any secret entrances, you cannot find them... at least not at first glance. At least not until you find a hidden area that might connect here. The two have a private conversation before Calven heads off to find some new attire for the evening. He is able to find a high quality tailor, with reasonable prices. The quality of the threads and their style will obviously depend on how much he is willing to pay for them. (Tell me how much you wish to spend on new threads and I will describe them).

Davon is excited about the opportunity. He is a working man through and through who believes ability, not birthright, should determine ones station. It is a good sign then, that for all intents and purposes, Squire Hugh of the Vale is lowborn and his only ties to nobility was working as a squire for Jon Arryn for the past four years. Noble aspirations indeed.

The group arrives as they will at the Knighthood Banquet. It is rather fancy and of decent size, though it is far from as opulent as have been seen in the Red Keep in the past. In fact, by most comparisons it is rather mild. Many important people are present. Every noble house appears to be represented and anyone who is anyone seems to be in attendance. The King's Guard are present though the King and his lovely wife have not yet made an appearance. There is food, wine, and entertainment.

Squire Hugh of the Vale can be found seated at the main table. He is obviously quite drunk on both wine and power. His feet are kicked up on the table as he eats a turkey leg in between gulps of wine.

Lord Petyr Baelish can be seen standing near Varys, carrying on a whispered conversation. Lord Eddard Stark is seated near Squire Hugh of the Vale with his two daughters Sansa and Arya.

Maester Pycelle can be seen whispering in the ear of a young serving girl.

After several minutes King Robert and Queen Ceresi are introduced and seated at the table with Squire Hugh. The King is quite jovial and immediately asks for wine and food. This is immedietly followed up by requests for yet more wine and food. The Queen looks on with a look of uncaring disgust.

There are several tables to pick from.

------------------------------------

Group B

Lyra fills the rest of the group in on the plan and has fun with her newfound friend Mern, "hiding" daggers from each other. Jonah can only shake his head at the escapades.

Aisaroth is going as a maester... everyone else be damned. Some times it is most effective to hide right in front of someone by not hiding at all.

And of course, the contrary Aisaroth berates his companions for not being stealthy enough. Maybe he is right. Or maybe he is paranoid. Perhaps he is both?

Regardless, the misunderstanding is soon put to rest and the group makes their way to the Knighthood Banquet.

The group arrives as they will at the Knighthood Banquet. It is rather fancy and of decent size, though it is far from as opulent as have been seen in the Red Keep in the past. In fact, by most comparisons it is rather mild. Many important people are present. Every noble house appears to be represented and anyone who is anyone seems to be in attendance. The King's Guard are present though the King and his lovely wife have not yet made an appearance. There is food, wine, and entertainment.

Squire Hugh of the Vale can be found seated at the main table. He is obviously quite drunk on both wine and power. His feet are kicked up on the table as he eats a turkey leg in between gulps of wine.

Lord Petyr Baelish can be seen standing near Varys, carrying on a whispered conversation. Lord Eddard Stark is seated near Squire Hugh of the Vale with his two daughters Sansa and Arya.

Maester Pycelle can be seen whispering in the ear of a young serving girl.

After several minutes King Robert and Queen Ceresi are introduced and seated at the table with Squire Hugh. The King is quite jovial and immediately asks for wine and food. This is immedietly followed up by requests for yet more wine and food. The Queen looks on with a look of uncaring disgust.

There are several tables to pick from.

SuperCracker
2014-05-10, 11:01 AM
Jonah Lorimer, Heir of the Iron Fingers
Group B, The Banquet

On time he arrived with the rest of his unlikely pack. A Dornish bastard on his arm, the most crotchety Maester he’d ever seen, and the cut-throat masquerading as an attendant. Jonah was wearing his finery, proudly displaying his house colors. Upon entering, his blue eyes scanned the room, seeking to notice anything interesting or unusual. What was immediately apparent was the presence of the major players.

Jonah staked out a claim at a table for himself and Lyra Sand.

We can figure out what this is after perception checks/ooc questions are answered.

Then he began the process of observing those players.

Some opinions were immediately formed. Hugh, despite being granted the honor of knighthood, behaved like a drunken buffoon. He was then joined in drunken buffoonery by King Robert. It was a wonder the Iron Throne hadn’t buckled from the weight of his ass.

“Excuse me, my dear,” he said to Lyra, “But I must take a break from the food to go speak to Lord Stark. You can come and be introduced, if you wish.”

Regardless of her decision, Jonah stood and crossed the room to stand near the Hand and his daughters. Jonah smiled and introduced himself. “Lord Stark, my name is Jonah Lorimer. Your wife’s uncle, the Blackfish, is a friend of mine. I had the good fortune to accompany him on a campaign against bandits. It’s an honor to meet you.”

Truth be told, Jonah did respect Eddard Stark. Stark may have backed the wrong horse, but by all accounts Stark was a fair and just man.

Yawielas
2014-05-10, 12:00 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen had entered a few minutes before the king and queen, and chose a table near the newly knighted ser Hugh.

Now she sits observing, while keeping up light conversation with whoever she is seated with. Watching the various nobles and their interaction, she tries to pick out the major players in this game. Apparently, it is all of them. Turning towards the Hand's table, she makes note of his family, then watches surprised when a somewhat familiar face walks over to lord Stark to introduce himself.

MrE
2014-05-10, 07:54 PM
Group B, The Red Keep, King's Landing

Lyra was no stranger to balls, not even of this size or grandeur. Dorne was rich, maybe not as much as the Westerlands, but certainly wealthy, and its nobles had never held themselves back from revelry.

Jonah turned to her and announced his attention to introduce himself to lord Stark. "I-" Lyra paused for the first time that the others had seen. "Ah, no my dear. I think, I think you must speak to him yourself. I'm sure these others will be able to entertain me here." Eddard Stark. The man who had slain her uncle, and who had, reportedly been the reason her aunt threw herself from the Palestone Sword. She had thought herself ready for this, ready to be the consummate assassin and spy, but the man's name filled her with dread. She would deal with his cronies first, she decided, deal with them and learn more about the Warden of the North. Then she would face him and make him pay for what he did to House Dayne.

She rose from the table then and began to mingle with the various nobles of the court. Their primary objective was to find these five men and women who worked for the Hand and as such she went in search of one whose name she recalled. She sought Mariwen Edgewater, who Aisaroth had identified as the young widow of one of the Freys. She made sure not to be overt in her search, instead mentioning Jonah, the young Riverland lord who she was courting, and noting that she had heard others from the Riverlands had come to King's Landing.

I'm not sure if this would require a check, and if so, what kind of check.

Vhaidara
2014-05-10, 11:45 PM
Group B

Mern shadows Lyra, staying on hand in case she requires anything.

Mabn
2014-05-10, 11:53 PM

An idiotic king of an idiotic rebellion, Robert should really try branching out some time. Seeing Jonah approach the head table he followed as an excuse to look at Pycelle silently and smile in order to make him uncomfortable.

Tychris1
2014-05-11, 12:31 AM
Davon Barlor
The Red Keep, King's Landing, Westeros, Group A

Davon scand the room with an equal sense of wonderment and respect. It was like something out of a bard's tale, a rich setting or background from which an epic or a ballad was spawned from. The ambivalent lights, so crisp and yet romantic at the same time. The smell of the food, like nothing he could have ever dreamed of gorging on himself. The clamor and hustle and bustle of countless noblemen and ladies all gathered in one room, and Davon was to be a part of it! A small part, but a part none the less!

As if things could get no better, Davon was graced with the sight of King Robert Baratheon. He was a stunning sight, a legend of a man. He was approachable, down to the earth, humorous, boisterous, sometimes obnoxiously so but never for too long, and yet still powerful and regal all at once. This was his King, the man who sat upon the Iron Throne! To say that a wave of chills ran up the hulking knights spine would be putting it at an understatement. His blood was practically rushing and pushing against his veins, stretching them to the seams. As if things could get no better, he finally saw them.

The King's Guard.

Davon took a step back, as if his whole body was struck with some wave of energy, some overpowering force that threatened to sweep him off his feet and wisk him away to a new world. A world of men in golden armor, with mighty weapons at their hands, legions of aspirants, legends shrouding their very persona, and greatness burned into their eyes. Davon almost felt light headed, forcing himself to refocus and correct his posture, lest he be in threat of passing out from the sight. More importantly, Davon had priorities for coming to this knighting, and he needed to plant the beginnings of a good relationship with the Squire Hugh of the Vale, so as to more easily extract information later. Walking forward, Davon manuevered his bulky frame to greet the soon to be knight, and noted Lord Eddard Stark talking to someone. He didn't pay it much mind, though it did serve to remind him to talk to the Hand after all this was said and done. Approaching Ser Hugh, Davon could not help but occasionally glance at the King's Guard that were so close, and yet felt like they were in a universe away.

"Ser Hugh, it is an honor to meet you in person, my name is Davon Barlor. I cannot help but feel great admiration for what you have accomplished, and I look forward to seeing more of you in the future."

He holds out his gauntlet to shake the Squire's hand.

Mathis
2014-05-11, 11:43 AM
The Knighthood Banquet, The Red Keep, King's Landing
Group A

Wendel arrived precisely on time. He was newly shaven and with his hair tied in a fresh knot, not a single hair astray. He wore his tailored red and green doublet with simple embroidery, brown leather pants with a black leather belt holding it all up. It was a simple set of garments and they looked worn as if it was the only finery the man owned. He waited to be introduced and stood next to Davon Barlor, waiting his turn to congratulate Ser Hugh. "Truly a great honour you have been bestowed Ser, congratulations. I hope you will make us all proud of you! Say, when you have more time I would love a word with you in private." He then stood awkwardly overlooking the massive banquet hall in search for a good seat. He decided on staying close to Davon and seated himself next to him.

Livius
2014-05-11, 10:31 PM
Kevyn Rivers, Frey bastard
Knighthood Banquet, Red Keep
Group B

Kevyn arrived separately and after the rest of the group to help maintain the fiction that they were not all conspiring together. Being in Lord Baelish's service was definitely useful though. The invitation to this banquet had gotten him past the same guards who had so rudely dismissed his attempt to join them. He kept his armor and dagger with him to look more "soldierly", but left the bow and survival gear behind at his inn as he doubted the guards would allow him to bring those into the Red Keep without express permission.

Once surveying the room, he floated in the crowd waiting to talk to Ser Hugh, but didn't approach the table yet. He needed Lord Stark to be undistracted to make his move.
He's going to "pledge himself" to the Hand's service to try to get a position in the Red Keep.

Xealot7
2014-05-12, 06:41 AM
Group A

Mariwen seems content to watch as people go about their business around her. She does notice Jonah Lorimer, bannerman to House Tully speaking to the Hand of the King. She does not get to pay much attention as she is approached by Lyra Sand.

Davon is the first to approach and speak to Squire Hugh. The man is quite drunk and quite the ass. "Yes, yes, let me guess, I inspire you to new heights and great deeds? If you want to do a truly great deed, how about fetching me more wine?" In a typically Knightly fashion he seems to be aloof to good to be bothered with a common man. He has yet to be knighted and already seems to have forgotten where he came from.

Wendel approaches the ass of a soon to be Knight and right behind Davon and gets much the same response. "Yes, great honour, do you proud, yes, yes... now more wine!"
------------------------------

Group B

Jonah searches for someone of note. He finds Lorah Tyrell smiling at and whispering to a rather handsome serving in hushed whispers. He then approaches Lord Stark. Lord Stark grasps Jonah's hand firmly and seems to be honestly pleased with what he has to say. "I appreciate you serving not only my kin, but the king as well. You did a good thing by hunting those who break the law of man. Thank you for your service." Before Jonah can get another word in edgewise, someone else is vying for the Hand's attention.

Lyra tries to hide that she has been brooding over Lord Stark as she approaches Lady Edgewater.

Claw, or Mern as he prefers, stays close to Lyra as she approaches Lady Edgewater.

Aisaroth contents himself to distract Maester Pycelle. It doesn't take much, the horny old coot can is practically staring at the ceiling to avoid Aisaroth's gaze. What does it say about a man that creep out a creeper?

Kevyn waits in line behind Davon Barlor and Wendel Flint. Hearing the remarks Squire Hugh made to them, he decides speaking to the pompous ass might not be the best idea.

Ser Sain Eastfall enters the banquet hall and notices the contacts Littlefinger pointed out. Jonah Lorimer, Lyra Sand, Maester Aisaroth, Kevyn Rivers, and Mern. He also notices the "marks", as well as many other prominent players.

------------------------------
Everyone please welcome SuperMuldoon, a friend of SuperCracker, and the newest member of Group B.

Yawielas
2014-05-12, 07:31 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen looks up as Lyra Sand approaches her, and offers a friendly, but curious smile. From the looks of it, she is the woman's intended target, and she nods in greeting, trying to place Lyra culturally.

Knowledge geography [roll0] Knowledge nobility [roll1] added the +2 from studying.

SuperCracker
2014-05-12, 11:16 AM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, The Red Keep

Although others were trying to interrupt, muscle-in, and what have you, Jonah stood his ground just long enough for him to say what he came over here to say. Giving the Lord of the North a firm, friendly grip, Jonah parted ways by saying.

“Thank you, Lord Stark. If the Hand or the Crown ever need of me while I’m here in King’s Landing, I will be ready to aid.” He smiled, “Enjoy the banquet, my lord.”

He stepped back, to allow the other people to move in and greet Lord Stark. Jonah was here to plant seeds. And speaking of planting seeds, he overheard the name Davon Barlor. That was one of the ones they were sent to find. Jonah observed Ser Hugh rudely rebuffing the praise of these men. It made Jonah want to knock the legs out from underneath Hugh’s chair. With all his drink, he might take days to stand up again.

Jonah managed to keep himself from staring daggers at that portion of the table, but only by prying himself away. He walked to the seats that Davon and Wendel took, and he extended a hand to them.

“Your praise was well-intentioned, but poorly received. I’m Jonah Lorimer of the Iron Fingers. Bannerman to House Tully. And I could use a drink.” He grinned.

miinstrel
2014-05-12, 01:00 PM
Group A
Calven Janascan
King's Landing, Ser Hugh's Feast

While everyone else were busying themselves praising the soon-to-be knight and the Lord Hand, Calven approaches the head table but turns his attention to Sansa and Arya. "It's been some years my young ladies," he says, bowing his head respectfully. "I trust your trip here was comfortable? What is your favorite part of the King's city so far?" He continues entertaining the Stark girls who seem a bit uncomfortable with so many new faces, and turns but a smile to Lord Stark as he continues to greet man after man. After a few minutes, he wishes the girls well and offers a friendly face if they need anything. He bows to Eddard as well before leaving to find a seat on Wendel's other side just after Jonah approached him.

"Another northerner? Truly we are an army of our own today. Calven Janascan, bannerman of the Starks, and I think we could all use a bit more wine." He motions for one of the servants to bring around a pitcher for their glasses and takes a seat.

SuperCracker
2014-05-12, 02:18 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Red Keep

The first to answer his greeting was neither of the seated men, but a third that came to join them. And he happened to be yet another one of the names on the list. A friendly-enough fellow. Jonah offered him a smile and a nod.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Calven. I’ll definitely have a cup.”

When the servant comes over, Jonah takes a glass as well. He finds an open seat for the moment and sits down, to speak with these gentlemen. He raised his cup

“To the Riverlands and the North, may they ever prosper.”

He took a solid drink of the wine, but would be careful to pace himself. Jonah was never a drunkard. It was a trait he didn't care for.

miinstrel
2014-05-12, 02:51 PM
Group A
Calven Janascan
King's Landing, Ser Hugh's Banquet

"And may their cups runneth over," Calven replies, returning the gesture and drinking deeply. "So, my friend, what brings you to the south? Here for the Hand's tournament? Or perhaps just for leisure?" He asks, his eyes tracking one of the lovely young women moving about the room with grapes, dates, and other exotic foods.

MrE
2014-05-12, 02:58 PM
Lyra Sand, Bastard of Starfall, Sand Snake

Lyra approached the woman, and didn't have to feign curiosity. Aisaroth had said she was a divorcee and Lyra had expected her to be much older than she was. She was still a good deal Lyra's elder, but a woman in her prime yet. As she approached she gave a small curtsy in greeting to the other woman, and timidly announced herself: "Lady Edgewater? I am Lyra, daughter of lady Allyria Dayne and prince Oberyn Martell. I'm here with lord Lorimer. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

After introductions were done with, she takes a seat with Mariwen and smiles conspiratorially. "It is quite a surprise for so many riverlanders to be here in King's Landing," she commented. "I must confess, I was advised to seek you out. I wondered: do you know lord Lorimer, or House Lorimer?"

Lyra had decided that any direct investigation into their purpose in King's Landing would be too obvious and raise too much suspicion, so she intended to be circumspect. There was more to it as well: clearly this woman was one of the Hand's creatures, but perhaps not lord Stark's, but Jon Arryn's. And since they seemed to have arrived after his death, that added extra questions: did Arryn tell them why they were to come before he died. In fact, that raised questions over Arryn's death itself. There were layers here. Deep, dark layers.

Lyra's going to be pretty up front about her heritage anyway, so that should save us all some time :smallwink:

SuperCracker
2014-05-12, 03:02 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Red Keep

Jonah grinned at the question and shook his head. “Neither, I’m afraid. My father has decided that I should be married soon. And he has sent me here to rendezvous with a lovely young Dornish woman. I am to court her. I only wish I could do it in a better place than King’s Landing.”

He took another drink from the cup, then exhaled a satisfied sigh.

“But I am interested in the tournament. I’m no good with a mount, but I am good with a blade. Perhaps I'll take part in the melee. What about yourself? What brought you here, so far away from the North?”

Yawielas
2014-05-12, 03:13 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen looks surprised at Lyra. "Daughter of Prince Obery Martell, it's a pleasure. And you were advised to look me up? I must confess, I just noticed Ser Lorimer is present, although I think I might have seen him in town a couple of days ago. Are you asking about his father, or Ser Jonah? I do know him, we met at a wedding at Riverrun a few years ago. It was the wedding of Ser Andor Frey and lady Ailen. Ser Jonah was seated next to me, so we talked. He seems a decent and fair man. I'm afraid I don't know his father, Lord Lorimer, very well." She looks at Lyra. "Are you his bethrothed?" She smiles, then looks towards Jonah, nodding if he looks her way.

Vhaidara
2014-05-12, 03:21 PM
Group B

Mern remains behind Lyra, ready to act if she requests his services.

MrE
2014-05-12, 03:26 PM

"Ah, yes, I must have forgotten to mention that," remarks the young dornish girl laughing. "Yes, I heard there were others from the Riverlands here and thought it might be prudent to seek them out. Being betrothed to one from such a distant land makes me... somewhat anxious. It is nice that you can set my thoughts at ease regarding lord Jonah at least. I had heard mixed thigns regarding his house, but one never knows the truth of such when it comes from such a great distance."

miinstrel
2014-05-12, 03:36 PM
Group A
Calven Janascan

"I'm afraid the tournament is solely a spectator sport for me; I've never been much for swordplay. No, I came at Lord Stark's behest. When rumor came that he may be travelling to the capital, my father requested I be permitted to go and serve him here. Nothing extravagant mind you, but it is certainly fascinating to be in the presence of such history, wouldn't you agree? Never in my life did I imagine I would be dining in the same room as a king." He turns to look at Robert Baratheon and his slender wife. "I was eager and left while the royal party were still feasting and celebrating in Winterfell. All the better, I suppose, to have been in the city a few days to explore on my own. Have you seen the gardens? Unlike anything I've seen in the north, quite worth a walk if you've a day to spare."

SuperCracker
2014-05-12, 03:47 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Red Keep

Jonah’s eyes opened a little and he gave two small nods to Calven. “Invited by the Hand of the King himself. That’s a great honor. I’m sure you’ll be a great aid to him. And as I told Lord Stark, if he or anyone serving him need my aid, I will provide it. In a place like King’s Landing, we should stick together as much as we can.”

Truth be told, Jonah liked this fellow. It was fortunate that he only was required to collect information. Slaying a good man would be out of the question. That said, the less “Mern” was around Calven, the better.

As for dining in the presence of the king, Jonah likewise glanced over to King Robert. He was stuffing himself with a third turkey leg. Possibly about to piss himself. Jonah hid his contempt. He merely asked one question of Calven.

“Is it everything you hoped it would be?”

miinstrel
2014-05-12, 04:08 PM
Group A
Calven Janascan

Calven follows his eyes and smirks. His gaze returns to Jonah and lingers for a moment before he speaks again. "The gods created us for two things: praising them and celebrating life. What better way than with good food, good drink, and beautiful women? We all have our weaknesses; I can think of many worse than indulgence." His words and his eyes imply an unspoken '... And I know what yours is' as he drinks again from his cup. The effect lasts only a moment before his hedonism and passive joviality kick in again.

[roll0]

... crap haha. Or maybe it says "i'm looking at you for an uncomfortably long amount of time" :P

Yawielas
2014-05-12, 04:45 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen accepts a glass of wine from one of the servants, then looks reassuringly at Lyra. "Let me put your mind at ease as far as going to the Riverlands go, at least. The land is fertile and lush, and the climate mild. We have beautiful rivers and lakes, and there's the Isle of Faces, located in the God's Eye, which is quite astonishing..." She blushes a little. "Oh, but do tell me about Dorne. I've never been there. King's Landing is as far as I've ever travelled." She looks towards the king's table, letting her gaze move from noble to noble, while sipping her wine. Turning back to Lyra, she adds:"Lord Lorimer is a lucky man, he will have a beautiful bride." She smiles and raises her glass to her.

Mathis
2014-05-12, 04:56 PM
Ser Hugh's Banquet, The Red Keep, King's Landing
Group A

Wendel seemed content to let Calven and Jonah banter away after he politely introduced himself as "Lord Wendel of House Flint, from Flint's Fingers. I'm glad to see some more Northerners this far south. I was afraid I would feel out of place surrounded by so many lightly dressed women and sweaty men but I see I am in good, numerous company."

While they talk, unless addressed directly Wendel will simply watch the banquet. Making a note of who is talking to who. He had plans to talk to certain individuals later on, but for now he looked perfectly content sipping his wine carefully and enjoying some good food. Anyone watching carefully would notice an extreme meticulousness in Wendel's eating habits. He seemed very concerned with keeping himself clean and dabs his mouth with a piece of cloth after almost every bite or sip of wine.

MrE
2014-05-12, 05:24 PM

Lyra smiles at the woman's fanciful description. "You have managed that more than adequately, lady Edgewater. I do hope the riverlands can live up to your praise."

"Dorne is about as different from that as night from day. You must have heard of the desert; dry and arid, but the Greenblood brings fertile land, in places. And there are mountains everywhere, such that I have heard are only matched in the Vale. I always used to enjoy such heights..." She trailed off, not wanting to speak much of her aunt's suicide.

"You praise me as much as your own home: I am honoured. May I ask why you have traveled so far?" Lyra asked.

SuperMuldoon
2014-05-12, 05:32 PM
Ser Sain Eastfall
Group B, Red Keep

Sain strides into the banquet hall, nodding to the guards at the door. Dressed in a nice, albeit bland outfit of blacks and grays emblazoned with his house insignia, his eyes quickly dart across the room, picking out each of his contacts as well as the targets Littlefinger wishes information on. It seems his late arrival has gone unnoticed, but as is proper he makes his way over to the head table to congratulate Ser Hugh, who seems to be overly enjoying his celebration. Gritting his teeth and hoping that the conversation was quick and painless, he steps up to Ser Hugh and bows his head slightly before looking the man in the eyes. "Ser Hugh, I am Ser Sain Eastfall and on behalf of my family I wish to congratulate you on earning your knighthood. As I was recently knighted myself, I know what an honor it is. I wish you good fortune." he says, and waits for a reply. If none are forthcoming he waits a few moments as to be polite and then excuses himself.

SuperCracker
2014-05-12, 05:53 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Red Keep

Jonah blinked at Calven as the man stared at him for just a few seconds too long. “I,” he stretched the syllable for a moment, “am sure you can.” He said in an effort to return the conversation to less awkward footing.

Wendel introduced himself, to which Jonah nodded and offered an amiable smile.

“Well, I think that the clothing style of the women is a welcome change. Especially where Dornish women are concerned, but it is nice to be around men of the North. Well met, Lord Wendel. Will you be participating in the tournament, as well? I believe the Knight of Flowers will be participating.” A guess, since he is here, after-all.

At some point he glanced around the room, spotting Lyra and… Mariwen Frey. Jonah had a look of recognition on his face and he offered a raise of his glass.

Mabn
2014-05-12, 06:59 PM
feast, group b

Aisaroth withdrew lest he tread the line between clever and witless. Noticing Lorimer and Janascan's troubles he decided to walk over and increase them. "So what's it like to live a few starving criminals from a barbarian invasion?"

Tychris1
2014-05-12, 07:23 PM
Davon Barlor
Red Keep, King's Landing, Westeros, Group A

Davon took his sear, grumbling incoherently after his exchange with Ser Hugh. To be treated like some common squire! Told to fetch him food or drink, only his King could do so! Why, had he the opportunity, and were it not an event dedicated to him, Davon had a mighty intention to merely deck Ser Hugh across the floor and be done with him. He began to rapidly tear into whatever food was present, his mood clearly spoiled after that meeting. He began to drum his fingers against the table, waiting for some wine to be server so he could get piss drunk himself. Turning his head slightly, the hulking up and coming knight noted the northerners speaking, and decided to interject himself into their conversation.

"Good to see my friends here have found some native company. I would say I long for the same thing, but then I'd be lying! Hah! Davon Barlor, it's a pleasure to meet you Jonah."

He begins to clunkily turn in his seat, his muscled frame rotating so that he could face the northern man, and extended a huge iron gauntlet to shake hands with.

"I doubt any of my associates in King's Landing are much interested in the tournament, but I personally cannot wait for it. I've always felt like my mother gave birth to me riding, saddle always felt as natural to me as my own two feet, and the lance an extension of my arm. I've dismounted many a knight, but this tournament is a far different faire. I've always wanted to topple Mountains and trample Flowers...."

The tiniest hint of a smile played on his face as he thought of the glory and gold he'd earn just by dismounting one of those famed warriors. He could almost see it now, the cheer of the audience, the laughing bellows of his king, oh it was so beautiful..... His eyes drifted into a dream like state for a second, before finally resettling onto Jonah.

"Perhaps we'll cross blades in the melee? I'll try to be gentle..."

SuperCracker
2014-05-12, 07:57 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, The Red Keep

The conversations were going well, up until the old maester arrived to interject some acid into the discussion. Jonah allowed the other Northerners to field the question while he turned his attention to the newcomer.

Davon Barlor was the only man Jonah had ever looked at who Jonah regarded himself as physically weaker than. The man was humongous. He was the kind of man that Jonah would love to see step on the neck of the Mountain. Oh, but we’re getting ahead of ourselves a little. Jonah reached out and shook hands with the big, armored man.

“Well met, Ser Davon.” Davon spoke, and when he said the lines about toppling Mountains – well, Jonah didn’t hide his feelings on the subject. There was a grin on his face that made it plain to see. “I think I’d like to see a Mountain fall.”

As for the melee, Jonah grinned again and leaned in closer.

“To hell with being gentle. If I’m to be knocked on my ass, I’d rather you put some damned effort into it.”

Yawielas
2014-05-13, 01:16 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen laughs. "You may. My parents are eager for me to marry again, you see. But I'd like to see some of the world first, and maybe make my own choice. They might not have been too happy that I travelled here alone, but if I return with a husband or a bethrothed, I think everything will be fine. But ultimately, I'd like to experience what the capitol has to offer. Banquets, tournaments, gossip..." She smiles conspiratorically.

Mathis
2014-05-13, 03:28 AM
Ser Hugh's Banquet, The Red Keep, King's Landing
Group A

Wendel chuckled at Jonah's reply about southern clothing. "I won't be participating directly in the tourney Lord Jonah, just have a look at the competition!" He gestures with a grin towards Davon. "But I will definitely be there to watch the magnificent thing, perhaps throw a wager or two and make some money off of it without even breaking a sweat."

"Say this Dornish woman you're to be wed to Lord Jonah, is that her speaking to Lady Mariwen of House Edgewater over there? With a bride-to-be like that I'm surprised you even bothered to sit down with us and aren't spending every moment you have getting to know her...more intimately as it were."

Tychris1
2014-05-13, 06:54 AM
Davon Barlor

Davon began to laugh boisterously, slapping Jonah on the back as he spoke of the melee.

"Haha! Now this is a man who gets it!"

As if on cue, Davon finally recieved his cup of wine, and proceeded to down it with a great fervor. Looking at his nearly emptied cup, Davon waved his hand about to a servant.

"Someone grab this man something to drink! And while you're at it, me to!"

miinstrel
2014-05-13, 11:47 AM
Group A
Calven Janascan

As the others seemed to ignore Aisaroth, perhaps wisely, Calven, being the nearest to him, felt obligated to respond. "The cold suits me. This heat can wilt the skin and the mind if one stays in it too long," he says impassively, a slight dodge of the question that the elderly, perhaps senile, man may or may not accept.

MrE
2014-05-13, 04:29 PM
Group B, Ser Hugh's Banquet, Red Keep, King's Landing

"Gossip, a lady after my own heart," Lyra manages to laugh back. The woman was clearly a consummate liar: Lyra had detected no hint of falsehood, but the woman had mentioned nothing of the Hand's business. The other option was that Baelish was mistaken, or misleading her own group: perhaps that was not such a far fetched theory, but for the moment she would carry on as though he was not deceiving her in this, unless she had more concrete proof that Mariwen was innocent.

Realising that the woman here was a match for her, and unlikely to reveal much more without being caught off balance, Lyra decided to continue the conversation. She would insinuate herself into the woman's company this night, and then she would work her wiles on the men. She could see them leering at her from this distance, and realised that her 'relationship' with Jonah might be a hindrance here. Then again, their supposedly honourable patron had slept with her aunt and abandoned her, despite himself being married: she was certain she could tempt his cronies.

"We have few tournaments in the south, I should enjoy seeing one. I have heard that there will be a tourney to celebrate the new Hand. I'm certain that will be a spectacle. My father is the greatest warrior in all of Dorne, I only wish he could attend and compete."

Mabn
2014-05-13, 05:27 PM
banquet, group b

Aisaroth raise his eyebrow. "I am sorry to hear you are having trouble. Superstition and a new environment can be an unhealthy mix."

miinstrel
2014-05-13, 05:50 PM
Group A
Calven Janascan

"Oh no trouble I assure you. I merely enjoy being wrapped in furs, something quite at odds with the weather here. You're not a godly man, I see. A man of science, then?"

SuperCracker
2014-05-13, 06:13 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, The Banquet

“Yes, that’s the one. Lady Lyra Sand.” He looked at Wendel, “Do you know Lady Frey? Did she take her old name back? Suits her better than Frey ever did.” Jonah apparently knew Mariwen somehow. Not surprising, considering they were both from the Riverlands.

As for the rest of Wendel’s more… erm.. unsavory comments, Jonah chuckled and turned to look at him.

“I’ve been with the lady all day. And I suspect I will be with her tomorrow and the day after. Too much time and she’ll be sick of me,” he joked. Then, being honest, he said, “I always have the spare time to make new friends. In the world we live in, friends are very much worth having.”

As for Davon Barlor, Jonah took the cup that was brought over to him. His first wasn’t completely empty yet, but he humored the man and drank from the new cup.

Jonah just now had a thought, as he watched Ser Hugh nearly choke on wine.

“One would think that Ser Hugh would be more contemplative. Lord Arryn did just die, after all.”

Mabn
2014-05-13, 09:47 PM
Aisaroth estranged maester
banquet, group b

"I find one's as superstitious as the other. I no longer believe in either. You on the other hand seem to believe in so many things."

Yawielas
2014-05-14, 02:12 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen smiles briefly. "I am sure Prince Oberyn would do very well in the tournament. I will be going to. The Hand's wife, lady Catelyn, is a Tully, and my House are bannermen to the Tullys, and Lord Stark has graciously invited me to attend. I must confess I do not care much for the bloodshed, but it isquite thrilling to watch. And I do love archery. Less blood, more preciscion." She looks at Lyra, quietly wondering just what the woman was after. "You should get Ser Jonah to take you to the tournament."

miinstrel
2014-05-14, 11:20 AM
Group A
Calven Janascan

"A remnant fault of youth, I'm afraid. I imagine with your experience you've found something perfectly suited to bring you comfort. Forgive me, but it seems you know me yet I do not know of you." He looks on expectantly, waiting for the old man to provide some form of introduction.

MrE
2014-05-14, 01:19 PM
Group B, Ser Hugh's Feast, The Red Keep, King's Landing

"I think I should be going whether lord Jonah invited me or not," Lyra retorted, though she continued to smile. Were the women in the rest of westeros truly so timid? She had heard tell that it was so, but she had the example of her sisters, and had thought this woman was as fierce.

"Ah, you are acquainted with lord Stark then? A powerful connection. It must be quite a turn from ruling in the North. I wonder if he will be as dutiful a Hand as Jon Arryn."

Yawielas
2014-05-14, 02:03 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen looks from Lyra to Lord Stark, then back again, nodding a little. "Yes, I've been introduced to lord Stark. I have heard good things about him, and I'm sure he'll do very well as the Hand. I didn't know lord Arryn, but he was married to Lysa of House Tully, lady Catelyn's sister." She smiles. "And I think you're right. If you want to go to the tournament, you should, alone or not. I do not know who I'll go with, if anyone, yet."

Mabn
2014-05-15, 07:38 PM
banquet, group b

"An introduction wont fix that, but my name is Aisaroth, what is yours?"

MrE
2014-05-16, 01:19 AM
Lyra Sand, Daughter of the Viper, Sand Snake
Group B, Ser Hugh's Banquet, The Red Keep, King's Landing

"Speaking of lord Arryn, I wondered what act his squire had rendered to deserve being knighted? I heard that lord Arryn died from a long illness; so I would not imagine there were many opportunities for heroics. This boy does seem appreciative of his new found rank."

Yawielas
2014-05-16, 02:02 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen looks over at Ser Hugh. "I'm as curious as you. If you find out, I'd like to hear the story. Perhaps your fiancee will know." She smiles and sips her wine, before daintily eating a morsel from her plate.

MrE
2014-05-20, 01:14 PM
Ser Hugh's Banquet

Mariwen and Lyra spar verbally for a time, each lying smoothly to the other and concealing their true purposes in King's Landing. "Perhaps," Lyra notes doubtfully. "I will be certain to ask him. Though we have only just arrived in King's Landing."

Claw/Mern watches quietly, though he can detect nothing untoward in Mariwen's behaviour or that of the surrounding nobles.

Ser Sain manages to engage Ser Hugh in conversation, who appears to have been slightly humbled by his unfortunate choking incident. "Eastfall? I've not heard of it. You have the look of a Dornishman or a Marcher lord, perhaps? I thank you, and I guess, congratulations are in order for you." Ser Hugh seems rather grumpy as he offers his congratulations to Sain. He is clearly not a particularly happy man.

Kevyn, noting that Ser Hugh's pompous behaviour was driving the guests away from his table, and towards the king and queen, noted that lord Eddard Stark was for the first time that night, free, and had wearily taken a seat near his daughters. Jonah, Aisaroth, and a number of the 'marks' were close by, but Eddard made no move to speak with them.

Calven speaks briefly with the two Stark girls, but neither seems particularly talkative: Arya churlishly refuses to even look at her sister, whilst the auburn haired girl maintains a dignified if haughty disposition. The northman quickly moves on, those his next encounter is hardly more pleasant. Aisaroth the bitter maester sends insult after insult at Calven, though his purpose or goal from such behaviour is unclear. Davon, Wendel and Jonah bravely maintain a conversation amid this, though neither side lets down their guard enough completely.

The bulky warrior Niria Snow seems at odds with the delicate dresses the other ladies wear, and she is shunned in conversation and sits alone. The gossips around the hall are soon talking of the northern wench and suggesting her mother was a giant, among other unpleasant things. Each of the characters hears these mutterings and see Niria sitting isolated.

Continue to roll bluff and sense motive against one another. You may add a circumstance bonus (+2) to the bluff check if the lie is particularly believable.The degree by which the sense motive check is successful ought to determine how certain you are that what they said was a lie.

Feel free to continue to talk to one another or interact with the NPCs, I shall try to be prompt with responses to try and get the game back up and running :smallsmile:

Yawielas
2014-05-20, 04:15 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen nods. "I see. Well, we shall just have to find out the usual way then," she smiles. "Through gossip." She looks towards Jonah for a moment again, then turns curiously back to Lyra:"Why does your family want you to marry a man from the Riverlands? Do you know the family from before? I'm sorry if I'm prying, it's just King's Landing, or The Reaches is closer to Dorne, isn't it?"

Vhaidara
2014-05-20, 04:18 PM
Group B

Mern suppresses a yawn. This was dull, but he could hardly break character here. That would just be unseemly.

SuperCracker
2014-05-20, 05:01 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, The Banquet

Well, Jonah had met these men tonight, and that was his goal. He sought to build friendships and seek out alliances, where possible. It was unwise to press the issue so soon after meeting. And if these people had arrived so soon, whatever they were doing had most likely just begun. A better tactic than following them would be to try and help from within. But that took the planting of seeds.

A more important purpose for this banquet, though, was to seek out those who he might befriend and make alliances with. And there were more people here than these gentlemen to meet. So he had to be about it.

“It was good speaking to you fellows. I’m sure we’ll meet again, some of us at the tournament,” he said towards Davon. “Enjoy the festivities.”

Jonah then stood and looked towards Mariwen, who was looking right at him. Now seemed to be the time to go greet her. Jonah strode across the room and offered a charming smile.

“Lady Edgewater,” he called her, since the others had spoken of her as such, “I see you’ve retaken your maiden name. It suits you better than Frey ever did.” There was a thinly veiled venom in his voice as he referenced the Freys. Cruel people.

MrE
2014-05-20, 05:21 PM
Ser Hugh's Banquet

Just before Jonah gets to Mariwen's table, Lyra answers. "My mother is rather keen for me to make a match, and... I have been unlucky with suitors in the past."

miinstrel
2014-05-20, 05:51 PM
"An introduction wont fix that, but my name is Aisaroth, what is yours?"

Returning solely a first name to the old coot as he was given, he replies "Calven. Are you stopping by the banquet on your way elsewhere or is this your final destination this evening?"

SuperMuldoon
2014-05-22, 09:22 AM
Ser Sain Eastfall
Group B, Banquet Hall

"We are not a family of much renown, so it is not surprising you have not heard of us - and yes, I hail from Dorne. Thank you for your kind words, and perhaps I will see you at the tournament." he says to Ser Hugh before excusing himself.

Scanning the crowd again he spots Lyra and decides to make his way over to a friendly face. Approaching the group of Lyra, Mariwen and Jorah. "Lady Lyra." he says, the barest hint of a smile crossing his face. "It is nice to see a familiar face in this crowd." he says, and turns to Jorah and Mariwen. "Apologies for interrupting. I am Ser Sain Eastfall, pleasure to make your acquaintance."

MrE
2014-05-22, 10:36 AM
Lyra Sand smiles as her 'betrothed' joins the group. But her smile turns to surprise as she sees Ser Sain. "Sain! It has been quite some time. I hope you are well." The woman seemed entirely genuine in her greeting.

Yawielas
2014-05-22, 11:11 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen smiles at Jonah when he joins them. "Ser Jonah, what a pleasure to see you again. And thank you. Yes, I am my parents' only child, so I took my name back when I was widowed." She looks to ser Sain when he approaches, and nods in greeting. "Well met, Ser Eastfall. I am Mariwen Edgewater."

SuperCracker
2014-05-22, 05:00 PM
Jonah Lorimer
The Banquet

“Of course,” he said to Mariwen, his smile very genuine. Jonah had a good impression of the lady from the few times they had met. He was glad that she seemed well. “I see you’ve met Lady Lyra,” he said, gesturing to the Dornishwoman.

But before they could get too far into conversation, another approached. This man bore himself well. He was neither drunk nor shifty. Jonah extended a hand to the man.

“Ser Jonah Lorimer. The pleasure is all mine.” He gestured to Mariwen, “And this is Lady Mariwen Edgewater. We are both from the Riverlands. I take it you know Lady Lyra?”

SuperMuldoon
2014-05-22, 05:27 PM
Ser Sain Eastfall
Group B, Banquet Hall

"Quite some time indeed. I am doing as well as one can hope." he says, in what Sain considers a cheery tone. "You appear to be taking good care of yourself." he says, inspecting Lyra's attire.

He bows slightly to Mariwen and then gives Jorah a firm handshake. "Lady Lyra and myself grew up among the same group of children at the Water Gardens of Dorne. After that, I became a squire, and haven't seen Lady Lyra much except in formal situations...quite like this one I suppose."

He looks to Mariwen and Jorah. "May I ask how you two are acquainted?"

SuperCracker
2014-05-22, 05:43 PM
Jonah Lorimer
The Banquet

“Ah, then you’re in good company. I’m actually here to accompany Lyra to this banquet tonight. Welcome, ser.” Jonah smiles, his demeanor friendly.

“Lady Edgewater and I have met on a few occasions, mostly events such as this. But I know enough of her to tell you that she is a lovely, charming woman,” he says, talking Mariwen up to Ser Sain. But back to getting acquainted. “I’ve always been very interested in Dorne, though I’ve never been. Perhaps we could trade tales of Dorne and the Riverlands.”

A thought just occurred to him.

“Will you be participating in the tournament, Ser Sain?”

SuperMuldoon
2014-05-22, 06:00 PM
Ser Sain Eastfall
Banquet Hall

"That would please me greatly, for I haven't ventured far outside of Dorne - this is my first time in King's Landing actually." he says, not giving much reaction to Jorah's earlier statement, except a quick glance at Mariwen. "As for the tournament, I have entered my name on the lists. I am not an avid participant - that is more my brother's realm - but it is a great opportunity to be a part of such a large tourney with so many big names, so I could hardly refuse." he says, his voice getting hard at the mention of his brother. "How about yourself Ser Jorah?"

SuperCracker
2014-05-22, 06:14 PM
Jonah Lorimer
The Banquet

“It’s the most beautiful viper’s pit in Westeros,” he remarks about King’s Landing. But before he speaks his mind too freely on the subject, he takes a more optimistic tone. “But the food and wine are both good and plentiful here, so it can’t all be bad.”

Jonah noted the edge in Sain’s voice when he spoke of his brother. Familial problems were not foreign to Jonah. But he didn’t remark on it.

“I will be participating as well. I intend to fight in the melee. I’ve already met another,” he gestures towards Davon Barlor, “that giant of a man, who intends to participate as well. Perhaps we could train together, Ser Eastfall?”

Yawielas
2014-05-23, 04:39 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen smiles, and blushes a little at ser Jonah's praise. "The Lady Lyra and myself will have even more cause to enjoy the tournament, won't we, Lady Lyra?" She looks to the Dornish woman conspiratorically. "Perhaps we'll make a wager.." She smiles and looks back at ser Jonah and Ser Sain.

Going away for the weekend, so I won't be able to post much from my phone, but I'll be watching ;)

MrE
2014-05-24, 03:22 AM
Lyra Sand nods reluctantly: "Indeed we do, though I must confess, I have seen Sain fight, but never Ser Jonah. Perhaps I must bet against my betrothed," she joked.

MrE
2014-05-28, 03:04 PM
Ser Hugh's Banquet

Fully acquainted, those who worked for Baelish managed to inveigle themselves into the companionship of those summoned by the Hand, though none of the latter group let slip there purpose in King's Landing. Ser Hugh continued the knight full of bluster, matched only in his drunkenness by the king himself. The queen retired early, as did the lord Hand.

The Tower of the Hand, Group A

Returning to their rooms in the tower, they each find a note from lord Eddard. "I have returned from the Street of Steel: it seems Jon Arryn had some interest in a smith there and particularly his apprentice. Go and visit and you will know what I mean. Hopefully this will help you to discover what he was looking for.

Also, I have been asked to provide a champion to represent me in the Tourney in each of the competitions. I hoped that some of you would be willing volunteers."

Chattaya's Brothel, Group B

Those in Baelish's employ receive a message from Lyra Sand at each of their homes throughout the city, informing them that Baelish has left them a message at Chattaya's. When all are gathered Lyra reads out the brief letter: "I noted your presences at the banquet yesterday and understand why each of you came to my attention. Lord Eddard visited a smith on the Street of Steel yesterday, a smith who lord Arryn also visited. I would suggest this bears further investigation. Unfortunately, I no longer have a contact in the tower of the Hand: as part of your investigations I would like you to keep tabs on lord Stark's movements.
Littlefinger."

In her own words Lyra added: "Well that's quite a bit to be getting on with. I was thinking we should also talk to ser Hugh. I never did find out why he was being knighted, especially now."

Vhaidara
2014-05-28, 03:10 PM
Group B

Mern thinks for a moment.
Perhaps if one of us could find out something about why two Hands of the King are poking around in a common smiths. And maybe we could get our employer a new man in the confidence of the Hand. You are all nobly born, but I am common. People say things around the common folk that they might not say in the presence of a noble. Does anyone know if Lord Stark is looking for any help in King's Landing?

SuperCracker
2014-05-28, 03:20 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Ser Hugh’s Banquet

Before the night was finished, Jonah would find a moment to himself with Mariwen.

“My lady, it’s been some time since we’ve seen each other. Perhaps you would take a walk with me through the gardens sometime soon? We can speak about the Riverlands.”

Group B, The Brothel

Jonah received the message for the gathering. He exhaled a soft breath during a moment by himself. Time to put on a false face yet again. This work was not what he preferred.

Joining the others at the Brothel, he listened to the letter, ignoring the pleasantries and paying attention to the information itself. Two Hands visiting one smith? That was intriguing. And Jonah had the perfect excuse to go there.

“I’ll go to the smithy. I have need of a longsword and shield for the melee.”

As for Lord Stark, he was working on it… but a light touch is best. Jonah stood. Today he wore his armor, covered in the regalia of House Lorimer. After learning the name and location (if provided), he gave a polite nod to the others and left. He wasted no time and headed out of the door towards the Street of Steel.

Yawielas
2014-05-28, 05:08 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen nodded her head when ser Jonah took her aside to talk. "Of course. It's nice to see someone from home. I'd be happy to join you for a walk sometime, as long as your fiancee don't mind." She smiles and bids him goodnight.

Upon finding the note from Lord Stark in her room, she sits down on the bed, chewing her lip. A smith. What excuse would she have to go to a common smith? Still, it might be important, so she starts thinking up a plan while getting ready to sleep. The last part of the message makes her smile to herself. Lady Mariwen, a champion for the Hand. She knew how to shoot a bow, but not well enough for a tourney like this. Shaking her head, she goes to bed.

The next day she dresses modestly, and after a light breakfast, she finds her way to Arms Street, looking for the smithy described by the Hand.

SuperCracker
2014-05-28, 05:21 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Street of Steel

He made his way there rather quickly. He was interested in what Jon Arryn was doing prior to his death, and far more interested that Lord Stark was looking into it. Whether or not Littlefinger wanted to know made absolutely no difference to Jonah. As he walked down the street, he appeared like many of the other warriors and sellswords, bearing that greatsword upon his back.

A few steps before he arrived at the smithy, he found himself looking at Mariwen. This was confirmation.

“My Lady,” he said in a greeting, offering a smile.

Yawielas
2014-05-29, 07:30 AM
Mariwen Edgewater
Street of Steel, King's Landing, Group A

Mariwen looks surprised to Jonah, then smiles warmly. "Ser Jonah, what a strange coincidence. In a city of this size, that we should both arrive here at the same time. A very nice coincidence, though. Where is your charming lady?" She looks at him, wondering just how it is that he is here. Adding it to his bethrothed seeking out Mariwen at the banquet, her suspicions are raised. Damn this city....all this secrecy and politics is enough to give anyone paranoia. She knows this man, and his reputation, and has no reason to question his motives, but she cannot afford to be a dupe either. Deciding to keep her guard up, she looks at him innocently, awaiting his answer.

SuperCracker
2014-05-29, 10:35 AM
Jonah Lorimer
Group B, Street of Steel

Coincidence. There were going to be many such coincidences in the future due to the nature of the games being played. Jonah knew what she was here for. She certainly wasn’t here to buy a sword and shield.

“I can’t say that I know. But she’s not present at the moment.” Not to his knowledge, anyway. Jonah lets his eyes sweep in front of himself, behind Mariwen, as well. He’s looking for any prying eyes, any tails. Mariwen will be able to note that he’s looking, because he either isn’t hiding it very well or not trying to hide it at all.

“Perhaps it’s a good time for us to catch up.” He said, making a motion for her to walk with him.

Yawielas
2014-05-29, 12:10 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen follows his glance down the street, then looks back at him. "Of course." She takes his arm as they walk. "Are you looking for anything in particular? Something for the tournament?"

SuperCracker
2014-05-29, 12:15 PM
Jonah Lorimer

“I’m in the market for a sturdy shield, a longsword, and to see the sights,” he said as he led her into one of the shops that didn’t seem to have too many people within it. He began to idly peruse the wares.

Yawielas
2014-05-29, 12:39 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen nods. "You're participating in the melee, of course. I'll be cheering for you." She smiles.

MrE
2014-05-29, 02:06 PM
The Street of Steel
Mariwen & Ser Jonah

Jonah notices no one trailing either of them, though there is a heavily cloaked man whose clothing seems at odds with the temperate climate, but he disappears into one of the shops further down the street.

The pair enter the shop of master Tobho Mott, the largest of all the smithies on the street and decorated to match. Two ornate suits of armour, one in the shape of a griffin, the other a unicorn, flank the entrance way. The master steps forward as the two enter, a thick set man as befits his profession, though age has somewhat diminished his stature. He glances to Mariwen politely but focuses on Jonah.

A boy, probably about fifteen or so years of age works at an anvil in the corner, whilst two younger boys dash back and forth moving items.

"How may I help you my lord? I am master Tobho Mott."

The teenage apprentice bears a striking resemblance to king Robert, much as all of his bastards are said to. You would bet good money on this boy being a royal b*stard.

Chattaya's Brothel
Mern

Kevyn Rivers is able to advise Mern about a number of positions from his research the day before: the Hand requires footmen to serve him as the northeners he brought were all soldiers, as well as a paige and a few men to fill out his guard would be appreciated. He also appears to be seeking any warrior from Essos, though the purpose for this is unclear, but the Hand has shown an interest in their fighting skills.

Yawielas
2014-05-29, 02:25 PM
Mariwen Edgewater
Tobho's smithy, King's Landing, Group A

Mariwen nods politely to Tobho Mott, then looks curiously around the smithy. She smiles at the boys, and wanders over to the ornate armors to study them. "Beautiful", she murmurs. Since master Mott is busy talking to Jonah, she walks over to the lad working the anvil. "Hello. Could you tell me who made the armor at the entrance?"

Perception 12

Vhaidara
2014-05-29, 02:37 PM
Group B

Mern takes an interest in that.
Interesting. Lord Stark wants a bravo it seems. Well, a warrior of my homeland isn't a hard role to play. Hardly even a role
He heads to the Tower of the Hand after making sure his knives are well hidden.

MrE
2014-05-29, 03:47 PM
The Street of Steel
Mariwen & Ser Jonah

"That would be me, my lady, they do not call be 'master' for nothing. Those pieces are not just suits of armour, but true works of art. If I could bring myself to sell them then the whole world would come to the auction, and they would be paraded in castles and palaces throughout the world." Master Mott clearly has a high opinion of his work, though the suits are certainly finely made.

Chattaya's Brothel
Claw/Mern

At the gates to the Red Keep, two goldcloaks call out for Mern to halt and approach him as two more watch from the wall that runs between the keep and the rest of the city. There is a hint of red in the gateway and above and reveals lannister men positioned with the city guard.
"What business have you here?" the goldcloak asks pointedly. "Be off with you!"

Vhaidara
2014-05-29, 03:55 PM
Group B

Mern was ready for this.
Lord Baelish sent me. I have a message for Lord Stark.

Bluff : [roll0]
I gave myself a +3 additional bonus for it being partially true. Littlefinger did send him to investigate the doings of the people Jon Arryn contacted, which Lord Stark now knows about, and he does have a message. "I can fight, and I'm from Essos. Sup?"

SuperCracker
2014-05-29, 03:58 PM
Ser Jonah
Group B, Tobho’s Smithy

In the time before the smith approached, Jonah spoke quietly with Mariwen about various things. As the master blacksmith approached, Jonah ceased the small talk and smiled at the man, turning towards him. Jonah’s gregarious nature was on display as he reached out to shake the man’s hand. Certainly down to earth for a noble.

“And I am Ser Jonah Lorimer. It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir. Those suits of armor are works of art. I’m here looking for a heavy steel shield and a longsword. I’m to compete in the Hand’s tournament and I want more options than my greatsword. I was told that Lord Stark himself has shopped here recently, so it must be of good quality.”

As he speaks, he glances towards the doorway every now and then. The cloaked man aroused Jonah’s suspicions.

MrE
2014-05-29, 04:45 PM
The Street of Steel
Mariwen & Ser Jonah

"Weapons for the tourney, yes, yes, I am not surprised. My work does not come cheap, but it is the best you'll find in this city or out of it. Nothing to touch my best work save valyrian steel itself. My lord knows his way around a blade I take it, did you have any measurements in mind?" Master Mott busies himself fussing over Jonah taking down the exact specifications for the size and weight of the sword, offering him a few example blades to get the parameters just right. Finally he declares that he has everything he needs for both sword and shield. "I will have them finished in two days, which will give you time to practice before the tournament itself. And just the small matter of payment... For both, it will cost you 700 gold dragons. A bargain for work by one as renowned as myself. As you say, I was favoured by lord Eddard, and Jon Arryn before him came here with his squire."

Chattaya's Brothel
Claw/Mern

The goldcloak frowns then nods, believing Mern's lie. He is escorted by a single goldcloak to the Tower of the Hand where he is handed over to the northeners. They frown on Mern's size and youth, but nevertheless take him to the Hand's study where he is announced unceremoniously. "A messenger from lord Baelish, lord Hand."

Mern is shown in and sees lord Stark sitting at a table, looking far more worn than the previous night, and pouring over sheafs of notes.

Vhaidara
2014-05-29, 05:38 PM
Tower of the Hand, King's Landing, Westeros
Group B

Claw bows.
Lord Stark. I have been told you seek a warrior from Essos. Are you interested in abandoning your mighty blade and learning the art of the bravo?

Yawielas
2014-05-30, 04:07 AM
Mariwen Edgewater
Mott's smithy, King's Landing, Group A

Mariwen tries to engage the older boy in light conversation while Jonah talks to the master smith. "I hear Jon Arryn came here, as well as the new Hand, lord Stark. How exciting!" She smiles. "Did you talk to them while they were here?"

Diplomacy [roll0]

MrE
2014-05-30, 04:25 AM
The Street of Steel
Mariwen & Ser Jonah

"Well of course my lady, even the Hand of the King speaks with master Tobho Mott. Lord Arryn was quite interested in commissioning his own armour. A beautiful thing it would have been. And lord Stark" *pause* "He was interested in purchasing a helmet. Gendry go and fetch the helm the Hand was interested in."

When Tobho paused he glanced at Gendry, the teenage smith. He seemed very concerned about whatever had happened that day.

The Tower of the Hand
Claw/Mern

"I had heard the Braavosi were as quick with their words as their swords," Eddard replied chuckling. "I am seeking someone to train a young boy. He doesn't have the strength to fight in the manner of a knight or full grown man, and I had heard that there were traditions in Essos that even women used. You are young, but in this case that might not count against you. What can you show me of the duelling forms of Braavos?"

Vhaidara
2014-05-30, 09:29 AM
Group B

Claw lets out an inward sigh of relief. He had been bold speaking such, and it had worked.
I am not trained in the water dance, as many of the warriors of Braavos are, but I am far from defenseless. What would you say is the deadliest weapon, Lord Stark? I refer to blades, not rumors or poisons.

SuperCracker
2014-05-30, 10:44 AM
Jonah Lorimer
The Smithy

Jonah takes the measurements, but the price tag is rather steep at the moment. “You’ll have to forgive me, master Mott. My House is not what it once was. I may have to settle for something your apprentices have made. For now,” because Jonah did intend to come back. For multiple reasons. “Once I acquire the necessary gold dragons, I will come back and ask you for a greatsword. If I am to have a weapon of such quality, it should be of the style I favor.”

Jonah noticed that glance. He cut his eyes towards Gendry. So there was the source of the issue. But why?

“Master Mott, your apprentice looks like a strong boy. How long has he been in your service?”

Yawielas
2014-05-30, 01:25 PM
Mariwen Edgewater
Mott's smithy, King's Landing, Group A

Mariwen didn't catch the look, she was too preoccupied with what Jonah had talked to her about. She does, however, pay attention when Jonah asks about the boy. Something about this smithy was important, and she didn't want to miss anything.

Mabn
2014-05-30, 03:31 PM
Aisaroth
King's Landing, unspecified group b

Having burned through his initial funds in a flash, Aisaroth came to suspect that the world of intrigue was more expensive than he have previously calculated. With a tournament coming up and a cover to establish, He set to producing troll styptic for idiots with more money than sense who didn't want an injury to stop them from running back for more injuries. A wretched and unfortunate mishap in his efforts left him down the cost of the reagents.

[roll0]

MrE
2014-05-31, 06:52 AM
The Street of Steel
Mariwen & Ser Jonah

"Er, must be six or so years now," he replied flustered, "I will find you some of the better work of my apprentices now, there will still be something suitable I think." Both Mariwen and Jonah detect that Mott is flustered and hiding something, but he won't give up his secrets without some sort of pressure (Diplomacy or Intimidate etc).

The Tower of the Hand
Claw/Mern

"So you are not a braavos? I had hoped for one. I will humour you though: I believe the deadliest blade is a sword, flexible and is used in a number of styles, a man with a sword and the right training can defeat a man with an axe or a spear."

"What is your name, braavosi?"

Vhaidara
2014-05-31, 07:26 AM
Group B

Claw smiles.
I thought you would say that, warrior that you are. As for my name, call me Tormo Antaryon. And my answer to the question is the knife, because you can kill before your enemy knows you are armed.
Claws pulls one of his knives from his sleeve.
Now, the boy you want trained isn't strong enough for a true sword. But knives don't need strength, just speed.

Yes, I did just steal two sealord names. I'm awful at names, which Claw wouldn't be. Going to be the actual hardest part of this character.

SuperCracker
2014-05-31, 10:37 AM
Ser Jonah

The way the smith reacts only confirms Jonah’s theory. He didn’t give Mott long to compose himself. After but a few seconds, Jonah followed the man and spoke softly to him, for only he and Mariwen to hear.

“Master Mott, I may be a man without vast riches of gold, but I always offer my friendship. What may be a small conversation and a shield today could turn into a long relationship that would benefit us both. I never forget my friends.”

Jonah speaks with deep reserves of charisma. It comes less from flowery words and more from a well-placed smile. He doesn’t ask directly for Mott to speak his secrets. Jonah wants Mott to want to do that himself.

24 - Rolled in the OOC.

MrE
2014-05-31, 11:24 AM
The Street of Steel
Mariwen & Ser Jonah

Mott looks concerned as he sorts through the rack of weapons near the back. He picks one out that fits his earlier measurements and then hands it to Jonah. "The Hands, both of them, they wanted to know about the boy, Gendry. I don't know why, but lord Eddard he came here, and at first he was asking after lord Arryn, and then he saw the boy. He offered to pay for him to be trained as a warrior." He then grabs a shield off the wall and gives that to Jonah as well "And, well, six years ago, a nobleman paid his apprenticeship fee, though I don't know who or why."

Returning to Mariwen he says in a louder voice "If you need that shield painting up with your heraldry I know a good man I can put you in contact with." At that point Gendry returns looking sullen with an amazingly detailed helmet shaped like a bull, with horns and all.

The Tower of the Hand
Claw/Mern

The Hand clearly thinks for a moment, before shaking his head. "I am afraid that I do not think your skills will be appropriate for this endeavour. Teaching this 'boy' to use a knife is not what I had hoped to gain from this truly. But, perhaps you could help me find one of your countrymen who is better versed in the sword? It would be a great help for me, I already have a lot to deal with. Too much in truth."

Chattaya's Brothel
Aisaroth

After Aisaroth's rather disappointing tests, he is surprised to find a letter from grand maester Pycelle himself. It is a simple invitation to visit him at the keep, but says nothing of what the meeting might hold.

Mabn
2014-05-31, 02:30 PM
Aisaroth
King's Landing

With an overabundance of paranoia and particular distrust of Pycelle that had served him well for several lifetimes, Aisaroth attempted to make contact with Mern before meeting the Grand Maester. Seeing personally to his death wasn't Pycelle's style, but and old man did need an assistant for all those stairs...

Yawielas
2014-05-31, 04:20 PM
Mariwen Edgewater
Mott's smithy, King's Landing

Mariwen considers what the smith had said, and looks at the boy Gendry again, trying to figure out what lord Arryn and lord Stark both had seen in him. She tries to engage him in conversation once more. "What did the Hand talk to you about?"

Diplomacy[roll0] Perception[roll1]

SuperCracker
2014-05-31, 10:47 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Mott’s Smithy

Jonah listened to Mott. He confirmed Jonah’s suspicion that everything was about that boy. He was obviously a noble’s bastard, but whose? What could be so important about him that two Hands would come to look upon him? It was something they saw, based on how Stark acted. When Gendry came back into the room, Jonah turned his blue eyes upon the boy.

And it hit him.

Gendry is Robert Baratheon's bastard.

Jonah turned his head back towards Master Mott and speaks softly to him. “What you have just told me; tell no one else, no matter how good their supposed intentions.”

Jonah walked towards Gendry, stopping before him. He wondered why the boy seemed sullen, but he thought his words may cheer the boy up. “Gendry, is that right? My name is Ser Jonah Lorimer. If the time comes that you wish to leave this place, I am willing to make you my squire. I’ll teach you to fight and to lead.”

MrE
2014-06-01, 06:01 AM
The Street of Steel
Mariwen & Jonah

Gendry turns to Mariwen, clearly a shy young man and says cautiously: "He asked t' buy m' helm m'lady, an' he offered t' teach me t' fight, if I wanted it. Lord Stark tha' was. I never spoke t' the one before 'im." Gendry's accent is thick, and Mariwen recognises it as the local Flea Bottom accent. It is perhaps exaggerated by his shyness however.

Gendry glances up at Jonah's words and shakes his head confused. "A squire. So I could be a knight?" He seems rightly shocked by this news, but doesn't immediately make a move to leave. Mott looks on clearly anxious, though he only has half of the picture clearly. He accepts Jonah's advice readily, and swears to keep it to himself. Jonah hands over the required silver for the equipment (35gp).

Chattaya's Brothel
Aisaroth

Mern was not present at the brothel, nor could Aisaroth find any trace of him until he found Lyra Sand and Kevyn Rivers dicing in one of the rooms, and Kevyn explained that Mern had already headed to the Red Keep to see the Hand about taking up a position in his service. Aisaroth could go alone, or take one of these two, or seek out Mern in the Tower of the Hand.

Vhaidara
2014-06-01, 07:12 AM
Group B

Claw grimaces, replacing his knife.
Very well, my lord. I will see who I can find. I hope your boy s never in a situation where he needs to find a new weapon. Swords are harder to come by than knives.
This last part is spoken as he turns to leave.

Sleight of Hand to reconceal the dagger : [roll0]

SuperCracker
2014-06-01, 10:49 AM
Ser Jonah
Mott’s Smithy

For right now, Jonah is playing the game with more information than anyone else on the board. Mott is right to be anxious. Royal bastards often wind up dead when claims are pressed. But if Jonah has one, then he can both protect the boy and find a use for him somewhere down the line. It’s simply an opportunity he will not pass up.

“Gendry, I am the heir to the Iron Fingers. My house is not one of the great houses of Westeros, but I will one day be a lord. If you serve me well and show me that you are wise, strong, and loyal… then when that time comes, I will have the power to knight you myself.”

Jonah smiled at the boy. He seemed like a good young lad. He would need work, training… but Jonah could do worse.

“In fact, myself and a knight named Ser Sain Eastfall will be training together for the upcoming tournament. We could begin your study there.”

Yawielas
2014-06-01, 01:56 PM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen follows the conversation quietly, figuring Jonah would know better what to talk to a smith about. It was about the boy, but what was is? She studies him, unable to put her finger on it.

MrE
2014-06-01, 02:23 PM
The Tower of the Hand
Mern/Claw

"I pray that the day never comes when he needs a weapon at all," Eddard responds melancholically.

There is more to this boy than Eddard is letting on.

"I thank you for your time, master Tormo Antaryon, and I will pay you well for your services." Eddard grimaces afterwards.

Something about payment/money is weighing heavily on the Hand.

The Street of Steel
Jonah & Mariwen

"Yes, ser, yes I mean, m'lord. Yes, I'll do it." The boy does not conceal his excitement at all, and his tools lie forgotten on the anvil already. Tobho just watches as his apprentice prepares to leave him, aware that he doesn't know what is going on, but that there are powerful forces at work."Should I come with you now? I don't have my own weapons or armour, ser, just this helm."

SuperCracker
2014-06-01, 02:31 PM
Ser Jonah
Mott’s Smithy

Jonah maintains his smile, nodding to the boy. “After the tournament I doubt I'll be using this sword and shield very often. I favor the greatsword. I'll train you in both, but you'll use these. Good. Go fetch your things, and be certain you thank Master Mott for the kindness he has given you. It will not be the last time you see him.”

Jonah waits for the boy to go and he turns to Mott. Jonah once more offers his hand. “I wish I could tell you more… maybe someday. But for now, remember that I never forget my friends. We will meet again soon.”

Though Jonah is not revealing his motives, Mariwen would know just by the sudden offer to the boy that there was a major reason why he did so.

Mabn
2014-06-01, 02:51 PM
Aisaroth
King's Landing

Reluctantly, Aisaroth left on his own to meet with Pycelle.

Tychris1
2014-06-01, 05:59 PM
Davon Barlor, King's Landing, Street of Steel

Davon slowly trotted forward on the back of his beloved mount, Bloodrush. The armored horse neighed softly, even as it's disturbing red eyes glared at any dirty potential horse thieves and miscreants it still managed to keep itself in perfect rhythm with Davon's slowly swaying body. His newly forged greataxe rested upon his back, while his trusty and reliable lance was hooked to the side of his mount. King's Landing was full of would be knights and stuck up nobles, yet Davon was determined to avoid such a fate. He was to be a true legend! Earlier that day, Davon had sent a message back to Lord Stark informing him that he would gladly be a champion for the Hand. Simply having the opportunity to stand as a representative for the Hand was something that Davon would have paid for! Nevertheless, Davon required a Squire and better heraldry for this competition, and so he deemed it fit to kill 2 birds with one stone and go to the Street of Steel. Find the boy The Hand was interested in, acquire some equipment, and become the Champion for the Warden of the North! Now only to find this Smith....

Vhaidara
2014-06-01, 09:17 PM
Group B

Claw sees himself out, noting the stress in the Hand's voice at mention of payment. Perhaps the Iron Bank was getting impatient. Everyone who was anyone owed them something, after all. But the Hand wasn't Master of Coin. That was his boss. Which brought up the question of how he was being paid. It gave him something to ponder while listening around for information about any Braavosi of note who were in the city.

Diplomacy to Gather Information : [roll0]
Knowledge (Local) if it helps : [roll1]

MrE
2014-06-02, 07:34 AM
The Street of Steel
Jonah, Mariwen & Davon

Gendry nods, and rushes off, and within minutes has returned with a small sack that clearly contains his few possessions. He stuffs his helm in the top and thanks master Mott, though rather emotionlessly. Before following Jonah out of the door. Down the street a familiar looking knight is riding a gigantic war horse towards them.

Davon, riding down the noisy street sees Jonah Lorimer leaving the smithy of Tobho Mott, the smith Davon had come to see, and following behind Jonah is a young man, about fifteen years old, with the thick arms and shoulders of a smith's apprentice.

The Streets of King's Landing
Mern/Claw

It doesn't take Claw long to hear word of a number of his countrymen in the city; many had come to Westeros in the wake of Robert's rule, which was far laxer than in the time of Aerys, the mad king. Most were sailors of some shade, though Claw found one who owned a brothel near Chattaya's and another who ran a tailors on the Street of Silk. But he found only one who could fulfill lord Stark's position.

Approaching the docks, Claw was directed to a small boarding house, famous for catering to foreigners, and there in the courtyard he found the man. Syrio Forel stood with a slender wooden sword and faced off against three other men, one Lyseni and two Braavosi, and the four men fought a flowing and yet rapid dance. Claw had heard the man had been the First Sword of Braavos once upon a time, and his skill was clear; after only seconds the three men were disarmed.

The Red Keep
Aisaroth

Aisaroth was accompanied to the tower where Pycelle lived, though the by seemed incredibly intimidated by his guest. Eventually, Aisaroth was let in to see the grand maester, and he was ushered into Pycelle's study.

The room was comfortable, though not spacious, with a desk and a few chairs. There was a door in one wall to his private rooms Aisaroth assumed, and an annex behind Pycelle's chair which seemed to have a number of cabinets and a set of stairs. Aisaroth could faintly hear the chatter of birds, and assumed that Pycelle had his own stock of ravens above.

"Maester Aisaroth," the old man began, sounding genial, "I had not expected to see you in King's Landing. You are doing exceptionally well, I must say. Many of our order believed you were dead, and clearly you are not, so yes, looking well indeed."

Yawielas
2014-06-02, 07:56 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

After Jonah and the young apprentice, Mariwen exits the smithy, and walks up next to ser Jonah. "I'll walk with you, if you don't mind," she smiles. "It's a large city, and easy to get lost."

Vhaidara
2014-06-02, 08:28 AM
Docks, King's Landing, Westeros
Group B

Claw claps as the master swordsman defeats the amateurs.
M'lord Syrio, I have an offer for you.

Mabn
2014-06-02, 11:03 AM
Aisaroth
Red Keep

Aisaroth sat down across from Pycelle, eager to take the load of his chain-mail of his back."Unless the order wishes to acknowledge my study of ghosts that would seem the only logical conclusion."

SuperCracker
2014-06-02, 11:47 AM
Ser Jonah
Street of Steel

“I would be delighted,” he said to Mariwen with a small smile. There were too many people out here to discuss anything. Jonah thought it might be best to go somewhere more private. He was already guiding the trio away from the smithy. He made sure to glance about for the man in the cloak.. the one he’d seen earlier.

“Gendry, from here on out, I want you to pay attention to everything I say or do. You aren’t here simply to help me with my armor and carry things. You’re with me to learn.”

They continued onward for some paces before Jonah saw the massive warhorse, and the giant of a man riding it. Davon Barlor. No sense in trying to beat a quick escape from the street now.

“Ser Davon,” Jonah calls out as the man drew near. “Purchasing gear for the tournament, I take it?”

MrE
2014-06-02, 03:58 PM
The Docks, King's Landing
Claw

"Ah, I am no lord, boy," replies the Water Dancer approaching, "What offer does the boy bring? From Braavos, or from Westeros?" He seems quite calm and relxed, not even sweating despite his exertions.

Aisaroth

"Er, ha-, no," Pycelle replies, still attempting geniality in the face of Aisaroth's gloom. "I had cause to wonder what brought one such as yourself to the capital?" He asked, looking askance at Aisaroth's appearance, especially his armour.

Vhaidara
2014-06-02, 04:29 PM
Group B

Claw smiles.
Lord Stark, the Hand of the King, seeks a master of the water dance to train a boy in his service. I saw you practicing, and remembered you from tales when I was younger.

Yawielas
2014-06-02, 04:56 PM
Mariwen Edgewater
Street of Steel, King's Landing

Lady Mariwen nods to Ser Devon politely. Thinking he is probably out in the same errand as herself, she does not make any sign that she knows him.

Mabn
2014-06-02, 05:13 PM
Aisaroth
Red Keep

"I am to see one brat wed to another." Aisaroth leaned back and rubbed his forehead. He noticed Pycelle's glance with surprise. "The years have aged me, but not so much that I venture into public unarmed. I don't think I've gone long without armor since that Dornish campaign... I know it wont save me when the time comes, but its weight is familiar to me. In the end I suppose I ended up wearing chain anyway."

MrE
2014-06-03, 06:25 AM
Claw

"To train a boy, yes? Are you this boy, boy?" Syrio replies, spinning his practice sword in one hand. "You may tell lord Stark, the Hand of this King of Andals, that Syrio Forel, once First Sword to the Sealord of Braavos, will meet with him."

Aisaroth

"One brat?" Pycelle seems more affected by age than Aisaroth. "Well if it is only that..."

"No, maester, I do not believe that. I am afraid you must explain to me what exactly brings you to King's Landing."

Mabn
2014-06-03, 02:30 PM
Aisaroth
Red Keep

"It is unlike me, isn't it. In truth I don't know why I'm here. I suppose I've spent so much time a lone that it is none of your business." Aisaroth scowled, embarrassed about delving into his feelings with a man he had mildly loathed.

Vhaidara
2014-06-03, 02:33 PM
Group B

Claw shakes his head.
I was actually the first to offer to train him, but the Hand prefers the idea of the water dance to my techniques.

MrE
2014-06-03, 06:19 PM
Claw

"You are a man then, not a boy. A man with a knife, no?" Syrio watches Claw for a few seconds. "Valar Morghulis."

The Red Keep
Aisaroth

"I see your stubbornness and insubordination continue! Do you want me to have you arrested? Speak plainly of your business." Pycelle is clearly incensed by being refused by one of his own order.

Vhaidara
2014-06-03, 07:50 PM
Group B

Claw responds instinctively.
Valar Dohaeris.

SuperMuldoon
2014-06-04, 01:49 PM
Ser Sain Eastfall

Sain nods at Lyra. "I will go find Ser Hugh. I introduced myself briefly to him at the banquet, perhaps I can discover more about him by sharing stories of my own recent knightood to get him to open up about his own tale. If that doesn't work, well he seemed to be quite fond of wine and ale." With that, Sain heads off to locate Ser Hugh at whatever lodging he has been put up in.

OOC: Sorry for the delay, was on vacation and then struggled to figure out just what I should have Sain do. This seems like something :smallsmile:

SuperCracker
2014-06-04, 03:26 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Street of Steel

With Gendry at his side and Mariwen on his arm, Jonah continued down the Street of Steel, heading away from this place. He looked over to Mariwen and gave her a smile. "You expressed an interest in speaking somewhere more quiet. Do you have any preference for where?"

Yawielas
2014-06-04, 03:40 PM
Mariwen Edgewater
Street of Steel, King's Landing

Mariwen looks up at ser Jonah, then glances at Gendry before returning her focus to Jonah. "I don't know where you're staying, but it probably shouldn't be there or the Red Keep. Maybe the Sept of Balor? I'd like to see it."

SuperCracker
2014-06-04, 04:00 PM
Jonah Lorimer
Street of Steel

The Sept. That was funny. He wouldn’t be bothered to make the from his home to the local Sept back in the Iron Fingers, and here he was, about to make a pilgrimage to the Sept of Balor. Funny. He nodded to Mariwen.

“I’ve never been myself. I’d love to show it to you.”

And so they started off in that direction, making their way towards the Sept of Balor.

Yawielas
2014-06-05, 04:29 PM
Mariwen Edgewater
On the road to the Sept of Balor

Mariwen takes in the sights as they walk, marvelling in the size of the city. Then she smiles at her own reaction, looking to Jonah. "I feel like a simple country girl, gawking at every marvel. Have you been here long? Where are you staying?"

MrE
2014-06-05, 04:35 PM
Claw

Syrio looks at Claw, clearly intrigued. "And what is a boy such as you doing with the Hand of Kings?" Syrio waved away the few remaining onlookers and picked up a small pack that rested against the wall.

Sain

Kevyn Rivers is able to tell Sain that ser Hugh is being lodged in the Red Keep itself, amongst the minor nobility. Without much trouble, Sain passes the goldcloaks on guard and is directed to the training courtyard, where he finds Hugh riding the quintain. His armour is detailed and seemingly of great quality, though the knight himself is mediocre at best in Sain's judgement.

The Street of Steel, King's Landing
Mariwen & Jonah

As Jonah and Mariwen are leaving Davon to make their way to the sept, Jonah catches sight of the cloaked man he had seen earlier. The man marches determinedly into Tobho Mott's shop.

Should Jonah decide to ignore this sighting, then he and Mariwen will make their way without incident to the great sept, with Gendry in tow.

SuperCracker
2014-06-05, 04:41 PM
Jonah Lorimer

Jonah doesn’t seem as enchanted by the city’s sights. His mind can’t get past the ugliness that’s so inherent in this place. Still, he smiles at her, not one to dash a woman’s fancies on account of his own thoughts.

“Coming from where we’re from, you may as well be,” he teased, possibly the first joke he’s cracked since coming here. “I haven’t been here for very long at all. Scarcely a few days. As for where I’m staying… I think I’m going to relocate. I have two to accommodate now, don’t I, Gendry?”

He looked towards the boy with a little grin, establishing some camaraderie with the young lad, then back to Mariwen.

Jonah was going to continue speaking when he caught sight of the cloaked man and narrowed his eyes. If Mariwen followed his gaze, she'd see who he was glaring at.

“Gendry, keep the lady company for a moment. I forgot to get something back at the smithy.”

Jonah turned from them and moved with a swift walk towards the smithy. Whoever this man was, Jonah was going to find out.

Vhaidara
2014-06-05, 04:49 PM
Group B

Claw smiles
Even a boy like me needs to eat. And if I can be paid doing honest work, all the better.
His expression turns more serious.
As far as why I'm in Westeros, I wasn't no one, but I also wasn't someone.

Mabn
2014-06-05, 08:32 PM
Aisaroth
Red Keep

"Do you want to have me arrested Pycelle?" Aisaroth looked at the maester coldly.

[roll0]
"I came here to see an old acquaintance. What did you call me here to see?"

Yawielas
2014-06-06, 01:27 AM
Mariwen Edgewater
[I]On the road to the Sept of Balor/I]

Mariwen follows Jonah's gaze, then looks at him, all traces of simple country girl gone from her eyes. She nods a little, then looks to Gendry, her innocent smile back. "Yes, do keep me company." After Jonah has gone to the smithy, she asks:"Master Mott said the Hand offered to pay to have you trained as a warrior? That's quite a step up for a lad from Flea Bottom, isn't it?" She smiles. "And now you're a Squire. Your Family must be very proud of you," she fishes.

MrE
2014-06-06, 04:28 AM
The Docks
Claw

"A mysterious answer from a mysterious boy," Syrio observes before hefting his pack and gesturing to Claw. "A boy will lead me to this Hand of the king, yes?"

The Street of Steel
Jonah

Jonah slips into the shop behind the cloaked man, and watches as he approaches the master smith. Mott is seated near his anvil, already looking drained, but when he saw the new arrival his face became ashen. The man says something in a low voice which Jonah doesn't catch and Mott nods slowly. The smith's eyes move to Jonah and the cloaked man turns to see the new arrival. Jonah is able to make out the features of a dornishman, with swarthy skin and dark hair and eyes, but he doesn't recognise the man. The dornishman glares at Jonah, clearly trying to intimidate him.

On the way to the Great Sept of Balor
Mariwen

"I don't have any family, m'lady," Gendry replies apologetically, "My ma died when I was young, and I ain't had anyone since then. Never knew my da."

The Red Keep
Aisaroth

Pycelle's resistance check: [roll0]

"N-no," Pycelle stammers as Aisaroth stares him down. "I-I think you should leave," the grandmaester stammers. "I wanted to know why you are here, now. Please don't tell me you are here for Wisdom's madness!"

Yawielas
2014-06-06, 05:37 AM
Mariwen Edgewater
On the road to the sept of Balor

Mariwen nods a little. "I'm sorry. That must be hard. Did your mother tell you anything about your father? Perhaps knowing would tell you something about yourself, if you've inherited any traits or talents. Has Master Mott taken care of you since then?" She speaks softly, and in confidence, trying to get the boy to open up.

Vhaidara
2014-06-06, 08:53 AM
Group B

Of course a boy will lead you. What else would?
Claw laughs as he speaks and returns to they Red Keep, swordmaster in tow.

SuperMuldoon
2014-06-06, 09:40 AM
Sain Eastfall
Red Keep, Courtyard

Sain watches Ser Hugh ride for a few minutes before approaching when the young knight takes a breather. "Hail, Ser Hugh! We met at your banquet, Ser Sain Eastfall." he says, reintroducing himself with a slight bow in case the young man's memory was impaired by his intoxication. "Looking good that last run. Will this tourney win your first?" he asks.

SuperCracker
2014-06-06, 09:45 AM
Jonah Lorimer
Mott’s Smithy

As he stepped into the smithy, Jonah slowed his pace. He took the shield he had purchased before and slipped it onto his right arm (he’s left-handed, don’t you know), as if examining the fit and grip. Really, and most likely obviously, it’s an excuse to be prepared in case this shadowy figure tries anything.

“Master Mott,” Jonah says as he continues forward, undaunted by the man’s glare, “I just wanted to let you know how pleased I am with your work. I could not, in good conscience, have left otherwise.”

He speaks towards Mott but he keeps looking directly at the Dornishman, taking in his face. Jonah comes to a stop near the two men.

“But I see you have a new customer. He looks familiar to me. I think I might have seen him around.” Add the word 'skulking' and it would be accurate.

MrE
2014-06-06, 10:25 AM
Mariwen

"My da gave me nothing, m'lady, I know that. I barely remember my ma, and I dunno if she ever talked about him. She worked in an alehouse: it could have been anyone." Gendry seems to have become more morose during this line of questioning.

The Red Keep
Claw

Syrio seems quite pleased to follow the young man to the Red Keep, where the goldcloaks once more halt Claw, though this time let him pass with little trouble. He returns to the Tower of the Hand with Syrio where the Water Dancer stops him. "This boy should find Syrio Forel once he is settled in. A boy could learn much from the First Sword of Braavos." Syrio then enters the Tower of the Hand leaving Claw in his wake. The guards at the door nod to Claw, and will not stop him if he follows.

The Red Keep
Sain

Hugh rides over and hands his lance to a squire before dismounting. "Sain? Yes. I had rather much to drink, but it was a good bash wasn't it? I've heard the best knights in the seven kingdoms are coming to this tourney: the Mountain, the Knight of Flowers, the kingslayer." Hugh hisses the last name, clearly not brave enough to say it loudly. "But I fancy my chances, first time in a tourney, but lord Arryn always said I was good horseman."

The Street of Steel
Jonah

"No." The dornishman's reply is curt. "Is there somewhere more private we may take our business?" he asks Mott, and the smith nods, giving a half apologetic, half worried look to Jonah before leading the mysterious dornishman out of the back of the shop.

Vhaidara
2014-06-06, 10:36 AM
Group B

Claw decides to follow. After all, he needs some coin for his next goal.

Yawielas
2014-06-06, 10:41 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen places her hand lightly on Gendry's arm. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you." She looks towards Mott's smithy to see if Jonah is returning, then looks back at Gendry. "You make your own fate. And you've done very well." She smiles.

Mabn
2014-06-06, 04:45 PM
Aisaroth
Red Keep

"Wisdom's madness? What would that be?" Aisaroth looked puzzled for a moment then made a decision and got to his feet. "It was nice seeing you again. You didn't really have to ask though. I am here for the same thing as always: myself. And I have many ways to gain what I want." Aisaroth moved to the doorway and paused. "By the way, what did Aryn die of?"

MrE
2014-06-07, 07:30 AM
The Tower of the Hand
Claw

Claw trots in behind Syrio and the Braavosi raises an eyebrow at his companion, not knowing of the reward for Claw's work. The pair find their way to the Hand's rooms and are admitted. Eddard appears to be pouring over the same paperwork as previously, but he looks pleasantly surprised by the interruption.

"Greetings lord Hand," Syrio begins, "I am Syrio Forel, once First Sword to the Sealord of Braavos. This boy told me you needed a master of the water dance to train one of your, ah, charges?"

"Yes," Eddard replies, "well met, master Syrio."

The pleasantries continue, though not for long, as Eddard explains what he needs and Syrio briefly demonstrates a few steps, spinning his wooden sword in an impressive way. Eddard seems pleased, though strangely not impressed nor intimidated.

"Master Syrio, there is one more thing I must tell to you, but it must be held in extreme confidence. Master Antaryon, I will have to ask you to accept your payment and leave us for a moment." Clearly Eddard has a secret. He hands Claw a small pouch with 20 gold dragons (gp) in, whilst Syrio gives the boy a curious glance at the name Antaryon. Claw is then ushered outside where a northener guards the door.

Mariwen

"Thank you m'lady," Gendry replies, looking abashed. "D-do you think my da was a lord? I'm not an idiot m'lady, why would everyone be so interested in me otherwise."

The Red Keep
Aisaroth

Pycelle snaps his mouth shut before answering, but Aisaroth's admission of ignorance is something the grand maester clearly has no intention of remedying. He seems even more intimidated as the rogue maester continued, and Aisaroth's last remark throws him completely. "The lord Hand?" Pycelle splutters. "He was sick. A sickness of the bowels."

Pycelle's bluster is clearly a front for something, and he knows more about the death than he is letting on. A lot more.

The Street of Steel
Jonah

Jonah detects nothing else about Mott: his fear and awkwardness seem genuine, though you don't think the dornishman is forcing him. The dornishman for his part radiates intensity and secrecy and certainly a hint of danger, though it is not directed at Mott.

Yawielas
2014-06-07, 08:43 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen nods. "You're right. It's good that you have your wits about you, and I think you're correct. But I think it must be something more..." She studies him again, looking him in the eyes.

Any chance of a perception roll again?

SuperCracker
2014-06-07, 10:04 AM
Jonah Lorimer

Scrutinizing the players involved within the smithy, Jonah works out that Mott himself is not in danger at the moment. Jonah also surmises that the Dornishman’s reasons for being here were not to spy on Jonah, Mariwen, and the goings-on. He’s here for something else entirely. He’s playing his own game. Now’s not the time to barge in. That could lead to pointless bloodshed.

Jonah’s tension evaporates as he simply smiles.

“Ah, my mistake then, sir. Please have a productive talk. Perhaps we’ll meet again.”

And Jonah gracefully removes himself from the man’s business, for now, stepping back out onto the Street of Steel and joining Mariwen and Gendry.

“There. All sorted out. Let’s be on our way.”

Vhaidara
2014-06-07, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Keledrath;17587344]Claw, Foundling of the Black and White Temple, Mern of King's Landing
Group B

Claw takes the money, bows, and leaves. He would have to find Syrio later to try and weasel Lord Stark's secret from him. For now though, his next destination was the Street of Steel.

Yawielas
2014-06-07, 11:11 AM
Mariwen Edgewater

Mariwen takes Jonah's arm again when he returns, and nods. "Good. I hope there was no trouble..."

SuperCracker
2014-06-07, 11:31 AM
Jonah Lorimer

He shook his head casually. “None at all.”

And they were on their way (decisively now) to the Sept.

Yawielas
2014-06-07, 01:21 PM
Mariwen Edgewater
Sept of Balor

As they wander up towards the great sept of Balor, Mariwen grows more quiet. It was almost as if she could feel the eyes of the Father boring into her soul as they climb the steps. She glances at ser Jonah and Gendry, then looks away as if to study the statues and grandeur of the temple.

SuperCracker
2014-06-07, 01:34 PM
Jonah Lorimer
The Sept of Balor

Whereas Mariwen felt the Father looking into her soul, Jonah felt nothing. He’d never seen any evidence of the gods. Trial by combat? That isn’t the blessing of deities, it’s strength, skill, and luck. People suffer, people die. Human beings are the only ones who can do good or evil. So, needless to say, he feels nothing for this place.

“Gendry,” he says quietly, “Walk through this room. Look upon the sights. Men laid the stones that built this place. Someone had a vision, and they brought together others to execute that vision. Ponder that.”

He gave the boy a reassuring nod, then walked towards Mariwen, standing near her as he looked upon a statue.

Yawielas
2014-06-07, 01:52 PM
Mariwen Edgewater
Sept of Balor

Mariwen crosses her arms over her chest, and looks up at Jonah when he comes to stand by her. After a brief glance around to make sure noone is within easy listening distance, she says softly:"Is this a good time to elaborate on what you told me earlier?"

SuperCracker
2014-06-07, 02:21 PM
Ser Jonah
Sept of Balor

He nodded very lightly, looking up at the statue even though he was speaking to Mariwen. And then he began to speak quietly.

Vhaidara
2014-06-07, 07:08 PM
Group B

Claw scowls, but decides to return to Chataya's for the time being.

Mabn
2014-06-07, 07:56 PM
Aisaroth
Red Keep

Aisaroth looked to the ceiling of the stairwell. "Odd. I heard you took over from Maester Coelmon. It's not like you to seek out such dirty work." Aisaroth began to descend cheerfully. "Goodby Grandmaester I think we shall see each other again. I should have come here years ago."

MrE
2014-06-09, 04:05 PM
The Grand Maester's chambers, The Red Keep
Aisaroth

"I sent Colemon back to the V-vale," Pycelle stammered, and once more Aisaroth senses there is more going on that Pycelle knows, but the audience is at an end, and Aisaroth finds himself being guided away by the grand maester's assistant.

The Great Sept, King's Landing
Mariwen & Jonah

The pair hold a whispered conversation, whilst Gendry stares in wonder at the great sept, unable to believe his luck. He is surprised when a short dornish woman sweeps out of one of the halls and approaches the group. Mariwen and Jonah recognise Lyra Sand.
"Jonah, and lady Edgewater, what a pleasant surprise. My lord Lorrimer, I have had a letter from my lord father that I must show you. I apologise lady Edgewater, but I must steal him back from you." Lyra lies seamlessly, and Mariwen cannot read any falsehood in the statement.

Lyra guides Jonah back to Chattaya's.

Chattaya's Brothel
Claw, Jonah, Sain & Aisaroth

The group assembles back at Chattaya's but Kevyn and Lyra look unhappy. "Davon Barlor, one of the Hand's men, that giant of a man, was killed earlier," Lyra announced. "He was found not far from the Street of Steel, but no one I've found saw anything, or that's what they're saying. Kevyn here saw him: blood everywhere, but the goldcloaks took him before we could see much more. I guess I have to ask, was it any of you? What have you been up to?"

The Tower of the Hand
Mariwen

Mariwen returns to the Tower with much to ponder, but soon after arriving is met by Niria Snow, the large, quiet warrior-woman and one of Mariwen's compatriots. The northener seems subdued. "Davon- he was found dead an hour ago. Near the Street of Steel. The goldcloaks were talking about it and Calvan went to investigate. He says it's definitely him. Someone killed him."

SuperCracker
2014-06-09, 04:17 PM
Ser Jonah
Chataya’s Brothel

“Ah yes, Lady Lyra. Forgive me, Lady Edgewater, I have to go. It was good to catch up with you. I hope we’ll speak again soon. Come, my squire!” Jonah says, beckoning Gendry. “We must be off, we have business to attend to.”

He left with Lyra, keeping Gendry close. He doubted anyone would recognize the boy from Flea Bottom out of context. They were expecting a blacksmith’s apprentice, not a squire.

When they arrived at the Brothel, he had Gendry stay outside of the room. Jonah stood, still armed and armored from his trip to the Street of Steel, with his arms folded as he listened to the news. The killing had begun, but to his knowledge, it wasn’t anyone here. Jonah speaks of it, shedding some light on the situation.

“I saw him not long ago at the Street of Steel. There was a brief greeting and then I left. I saw a cloaked Dornishman there, speaking secretly with the Smithy. From what I could tell, the Dornishman wasn’t there to look into the activities of the Hand. He was there for something else. For all we know, he could’ve been the killer, himself. If I see him again, I would know his face.”

Yawielas
2014-06-09, 04:54 PM
Mariwen Edgewater
The Red Keep

Mariwen nodded to Lyra when she came to whisk Jonah away. "Of course, Lady Lyra. I did not mean to keep him," she smiled. "It was nice talking to you, ser Jonah. I'm looking forward to the tournament."

Back at the Keep, she gasps at Niria's news. "I just saw him on the Street of Steel! Just a few hours ago. This is dire news...I must speak with the Lord Hand..." She excuses herself, and goes to discreetly seek out lord Stark.