PDA

View Full Version : The Moonshroud Festival

Morph Bark
2014-04-28, 11:48 AM
EMPIRE! Event, by invitation only.

The Salterri capital of Xianzhi Urbe was a shining beacon by day, a solemn city by night--usually. The Moonshroud Festival was held once every two years when the small moon Wu Jingshen hid behind silver Heng'e in the night sky. Xianzhi Urbe's canals were filled with floating paper lanterns of various colours, lighting up the city with colour and giving it a spirit of joy. People danced in the squares and ate meat from sticks. In front of the palace of the Qzare a large platform had been erected with a table for the Qzare, several high-ranking government officials, and the Qzare's personal guests. Musicians, dancers and magicians were occasionally let on to the platform to perform for them as they enjoyed the various exotic courses they were served under the clear night sky. The night was yet young, and a lot could yet happen.

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-28, 12:17 PM
Lord Liam comes with Lyra, as well as Errick who now Governs Requiem. Errick comes with his wife from Jarrland, Liam comes with his wife, Bekya. Lyra has no guards, as a sign of good will, and the others have a guard each, as per the dictation of Xiu Wandao. They take in the sight of the paper lanterns, and gaze curiously (and perhaps a little warily) at the unfamiliar, and once thought to be hostile territory. Liam hoped that Lyra was right, and this would be a trip of fortune and peace.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-28, 12:26 PM
Syana arrived accompanied only by one guard, Ser Kalvin Belith who had accompanied her to the Jeweled Cities Anniversary, and no additional delegates, despite the Qzare's gracious allowances in his invitation. She was dressed a new dress she had made specifically for this occasion as well as for future use at grand events. It was a rich maroon color with black and golden accents, matching the colors of the Triumvirate whom she represented. It was long and flowing, but not overly so as to make travel difficult.

The journey south had been a strange one, never before had she ventured past the southern boundaries of Grizzland, itself discomforting to pass through suffering as it was with plague and the unnatural heat. She was unsure if the Imperium was suffering the effects of the sun as well or whether they were currently being spared, the guards and officials who had handled her passage into Imperium lands had been rather brief with their interactions, asking to see her invitation and then waving her onward. She supposed she might get the chance to ask the Qzare, though so far they hadn't been free to interact much consumed as he was with preparations for various Imperium duties.

She watched with amusement the acts being put on for their entertainment and she swore she even saw Ser Belith crack a smile from his position off standing off to the left of the raised platform with the other guards but if she had it had quickly disappeared.

She decided to risk a comment to the Qzare as a lull in conversation between the native Salterri presented itself,

"This is a fine festival Qzare Wandao, I again must thank you for the honor of the invitation."

Chronologically is this festival before or after the attack on Cassia? Cause they're both taking place in the same year so I'm curious how to act around that.

Aedilred
2014-04-28, 12:36 PM
The Jarrows are here, of course, dressed in a slightly more conservative, Salterri-influenced style than usual, although their garb is still as brightly-coloured as ever. Bright purples, reds and golds mingle with the reflected light of the lanterns. Almost the entire royal family is in attendance, the only notable absentees being the king's brother Alfwyr, who was left behind at the last minute after it was realised that removing the entire governing structure of the kingdom, even temporarily, would probably be unwise, and those with admiralty responsibilities. The Jarrlanders appear more comfortable among the Salterri than those who recently fought against the Imperium, somewhat unsurprisingly, but many of them are still somewhat overawed at the Imperial capital; most of them have after all never left their kingdom.

Alfwigg sees his sister Celwyrr among the Lyradis delegation and greets her warmly.

King Athelmark and his wife Della
Athelmere and Edwyrd, the king's sons
Alfwigg, the king's nephew
Marrik Sunder, king's champion
Oswyn Isling, the new ambassador.

BladeofObliviom
2014-04-28, 02:58 PM
From far off comes King Hroar of the Glazfell, wearing half of his mask depicting a Stag's face. There's another figure with him that's hard to identify at a glance, but it looks...furry? Definitely not another Berapi or a human, that's for sure. At any rate, Hroar does not appear to have come armed or armoured, but rather wearing a black mantle over simple traveling garb. He came a long way to get here, that's for certain.

By the power of Quantum Dynamics, that figure is either a Catfolk Secretary or a certain somebody else's character that he invited along as his +1. That's why it's so vague.

Aedilred
2014-04-28, 03:17 PM
Glazfell is here? Interesting and interesting-er...

Morph Bark
2014-04-28, 06:25 PM
Wandao welcomes the delegations with measures of grace and joy, standing from his seat at each arrival out of courtesy--they were his guests and this was not the throne room, after all. He had not yet met with Lady Lyra of Lyradis like his brother had had, nor with some others he had invited, which meant the night should prove all the more interesting.

The Qzare leaned in when Syana spoke to him and nodded with a smile. "When something is not celebrated often, it calls for all the greater the celebrations to be, Empress Syana." He stares with curiosity at the new arrivals from the Glazfell. He'd met berapi before, but they bore a different countenance. The Catfolk of Sycia he'd hadn't yet the pleasure of seeing before, piquing his interest.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-28, 07:49 PM
"A truer point I do not know, it is why marriages are so happy and funerals so somber," she smiled mischievously, "It appears you have invited everyone from the north I know the least, it may be a fact I know you best and I don't know you half as well as I ought to, ah but here," she turned away from the Qzare at the arrival of Lady Lyra,

"Queen of the Mountain, I expected the Qzare's messengers might have found you, it is a pleasure to see you again."

Upon the arrival of the Jarr delegation after Wandao greeted them Syana smiled at the King Athelmark,

King Athelmark, a pleasure to see you again, and so soon after the Jeweled Cities, it is a rare pleasure for my northern eyes to be graced with your presence so close together, and this must be your lucky wife,"she turned and addressed Della smiling, "You have quite the husband, a wise and good man who has done much to heal old fears of the southern lands, ah but excuse my manners. I am Syana Ignato, Empress of the Triumvirate."

She curtsied to the Jarrland woman.

Aedilred
2014-04-28, 08:30 PM
"A truer point I do not know, it is why marriages are so happy and funerals so somber," she smiled mischievously, "It appears you have invited everyone from the north I know the least, it may be a fact I know you best and I don't know you half as well as I ought to, ah but here," she turned away from the Qzare at the arrival of Lady Lyra,

"Queen of the Mountain, I expected the Qzare's messengers might have found you, it is a pleasure to see you again."

Upon the arrival of the Jarr delegation after Wandao greeted them Syana smiled at the King Athelmark,

King Athelmark, a pleasure to see you again, and so soon after the Jeweled Cities, it is a rare pleasure for my northern eyes to be graced with your presence so close together, and this must be your lucky wife,"she turned and addressed Della smiling, "You have quite the husband, a wise and good man who has done much to heal old fears of the southern lands, ah but excuse my manners. I am Syana Ignato, Empress of the Triumvirate."

She curtsied to the Jarrland woman.
Athelmark laughed. "You do me too much credit, milady, but it is good to see you again nonetheless."

"A pleasure to meet you, milady Empress. My husband may be a better and wiser man than he likes to admit, but I suspect you have seen him at his best. I think he makes rather less effort to impress his own people," she said with a smile. "I know he also holds you in great regard. He has told me a great deal about the wonderful buildings in Aloren - do you think our own imperial capital measures up?"

QuintonBeck
2014-04-28, 08:49 PM
Athelmark laughed. "You do me too much credit, milady, but it is good to see you again nonetheless."

"A pleasure to meet you, milady Empress. My husband may be a better and wiser man than he likes to admit, but I suspect you have seen him at his best. I think he makes rather less effort to impress his own people," she said with a smile. "I know he also holds you in great regard. He has told me a great deal about the wonderful buildings in Aloren - do you think our own imperial capital measures up?"

She laughed at the woman's jab at her husband and gave Athelmark a sly, mock judging look.

"It exceeds," she said, looking around, catching the eye of the Qzare as she did, "The palace here alone," she shook her head speechless.

"Aloren is one of of our finer provinces but it pales in comparison to this, and the lanterns and decorations only make it all the more impressive. I must be one of the first northerners to see this city in recent history, it is astounding."

"But I have heard equally interesting tales of your own home province, though Athelmark does much to downplay it in his visits north it sounds a comfortable nation, relaxed and serene. I would love to one day see it as well."

She turned to Athelmark, "And how fares Jarrland? I hear your program of literary education is reaching a conclusion and ships are being constructed in the southern sea? I suppose those are good things to have together, as sailing without something to read can be quite a burr."

Aedilred
2014-04-28, 09:19 PM
She turned to Athelmark, "And how fares Jarrland? I hear your program of literary education is reaching a conclusion and ships are being constructed in the southern sea? I suppose those are good things to have together, as sailing without something to read can be quite a burr."
He laughed. "I hadn't thought of that! I shall have to mandate that each fleet we send out carries a library to keep the sailors entertained!

"I am very pleased with the progress of the literacy programme. Before long we will be sending our people across the world to the courts of foreign kings to do their writing for them! Who would have thought that possible thirty years ago?" He nodded with satisfaction. "I believe it will be my most lasting achievement. Ships may be left to rot, buildings to fall to ruin, even peaces may be broken-" he raised his eyebrows sadly- "but now my people will be able to record their lives and history so they will never be forgotten.

"In fact-" he added, with a slight smirk- "my nephew has recently acquired something which I think could be very useful for that precise purpose. You might be interested too - I have brought some diagrams to show to the Qzare, and a couple of copies for you to look over later if you have a mind to."

"It's a shame he couldn't bring any ships to show off too," Della said. "My son has been like a child with toy boats recently." She shook her head. "I'm not much of a sailor. I get seasick - a terrible affliction for a seafaring people! It's one of the reasons I've never travelled north. My brother and my son seem to have collected all that side of my family heritage, I think.""

"But what of your family?" asked the king. "How is young Dyamus, and your daughter Lady Mira?"

Logic
2014-04-28, 09:29 PM
Amalia had never traveled this far south before. She never thought she would ever see Salterri lands, or her province of Propinlonge, but a formal invitation from a head of state would be hard to pass up.

The heat here was far less tolerable than she had been told. All in all, it felt about as warm here in Xianzhi Urbe as it was in the Jeweled cities, but here it was far less humid. Her silks did not stick to her as much as they had in her last trip from home.

Home. Since when did I start thinking about Celero as home again? She mused.

She spotted the Empress of Ignato, and the two made eye contact. Amalia did not approach her just yet. She had yet to meet the host.

I wonder how my baby brother fares in Woodwind. she thought to herself.

Eventually, she approached the Qzare, and tried her best to remember the traditional greetings of his people. She bowed low, very unlike the curtsey of her country, and tried to recall the rest, but the pressure got to her and she stumbled as she leaned.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-28, 09:40 PM
He laughed. "I hadn't thought of that! I shall have to mandate that each fleet we send out carries a library to keep the sailors entertained!

"I am very pleased with the progress of the literacy programme. Before long we will be sending our people across the world to the courts of foreign kings to do their writing for them! Who would have thought that possible thirty years ago?" He nodded with satisfaction. "I believe it will be my most lasting achievement. Ships may be left to rot, buildings to fall to ruin, even peaces may be broken-" he raised his eyebrows sadly- "but now my people will be able to record their lives and history so they will never be forgotten.

"In fact-" he added, with a slight smirk- "my nephew has recently acquired something which I think could be very useful for that precise purpose. You might be interested too - I have brought some diagrams to show to the Qzare, and a couple of copies for you to look over later if you have a mind to."

"It's a shame he couldn't bring any ships to show off too," Della said. "My son has been like a child with toy boats recently." She shook her head. "I'm not much of a sailor. I get seasick - a terrible affliction for a seafaring people! It's one of the reasons I've never travelled north. My brother and my son seem to have collected all that side of my family heritage, I think.""

"But what of your family?" asked the king. "How is young Dyamus, and your daughter Lady Mira?"

Syana nodded at the Jarr King's mentioning of interesting diagrams. She herself had brought her own interesting diagrams of a different stripe for the Jarrland King to look at, but business could be handled later.

Syana smiled at the Lady Della's words but her face grew slightly more somber as Athelmark's question brought her mind to consider the letter she had felt compelled to send to her brother in Bordeux and how much of it might be necessary pending talks with Wandao.

"Dyamus fairs well in Bordeux from last correspondence," she said polite but curtly, "And Mira fares well also. She was wed a few years back to a Celerese Lord which was a joyous occasion. Of course, much of the land is unsettled by the looming sun and the family itself is pained as we share the suffering of our people."

"The summers have grown long and relentless and the crops do not grow but the most meager shares. It is a terrible fate to have one's food no longer satiated by that which one relies on. It is my hope allies north who do not suffer the same as the Triumvirate and perhaps the Imperium here in the south might be negotiated with that our lands not suffer from starvation."

"But excuse me, I do not mean to sour this festive with somber talk better spared for matters more private, tell me, what do you know of this festivity? I find myself rather in the dark on its origin and purpose."

Aedilred
2014-04-28, 09:57 PM
The king frowned at mention of the unrest in the north. Jarrland had so far been fortunate in escaping the attentions of the militants and the food supply remained healthy, but with the religious changes sweeping his kingdom he felt it would likely not be long before he had to face similar problems even if the climate remained good. He nodded darkly to the Empress to indicate he understood her concerns, even if she did not wish to speak of them at present - especially in front of the Qzare.

"But excuse me, I do not mean to sour this festive with somber talk better spared for matters more private, tell me, what do you know of this festivity? I find myself rather in the dark on its origin and purpose."[/COLOR]

"Very little, as it happens," Della said. "The Salterri have always been so private, even those garrisoned in our lands. We know so little of the customs and traditions of their homeland."

Athelmark gestured at the lanterns floating in the sky. "It almost reminds me of that ceremony at Pearl with the remembrance boats, but on a much larger and, I have to say, happier, note, strange as that seems. Maybe the underlying idea is something similar?"

QuintonBeck
2014-04-28, 10:06 PM
The king frowned at mention of the unrest in the north. Jarrland had so far been fortunate in escaping the attentions of the militants, but with the religious changes sweeping his kingdom he felt it would likely not be long before he had to face similar problems. He nodded darkly to the Empress to indicate he understood her concerns, even if she did not wish to speak of them at present - especially in front of the Qzare.

"Very little, as it happens," Della said. "The Salterri have always been so private, even those garrisoned in our lands. We know so little of the customs and traditions of their homeland."

Athelmark gestured at the lanterns floating in the sky. "It almost reminds me of that ceremony at Pearl with the remembrance boats, but on a much larger and, I have to say, happier, note, strange as that seems. Maybe the underlying idea is something similar?"

"Perhaps so," Syana mused, looking around at the colorful lanterns, "Perhaps we might both learn more of it from the Qzare then," she smiled as she returned her gaze to the Jarrland couple, "I arrived early and already played through greetings, but I have kept you from greeting your host-sovereign with my talk. Let me make up for this error by accompanying you to him that I might apologize for your delayed salutations."

Aedilred
2014-04-28, 10:30 PM
"Perhaps so," Syana mused, looking around at the colorful lanterns, "Perhaps we might both learn more of it from the Qzare then," she smiled as she returned her gaze to the Jarrland couple, "I arrived early and already played through greetings, but I have kept you from greeting your host-sovereign with my talk. Let me make up for this error by accompanying you to him that I might apologize for your delayed salutations."
"You are more than kind, milady," the king said with a smile, and gave a gesture with one hand that summoned his other relatives to his side before they went to greet the Qzare. Athelmere gave Syana a cheerful half-bow when he saw her.

"Milord Qzare," the king said as they stood before him, bowing as deeply as his back would allow - less deeply than in his youth, most likely. "An honour to see you again, and in rather happier circumstances. May I present to you my wife, Lady Della-" she curtsied- "my sons Athelmere and Edwyrd-" a rakish bow from Mere and a rather more formal one from Edwyrd- "and my nephew Alfwigg." He gestured to the feast laid out and the lanterns. "We are all humbled by your hospitality."

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-29, 09:21 AM
The Jarrows are here, of course, dressed in a slightly more conservative, Salterri-influenced style than usual, although their garb is still as brightly-coloured as ever. Bright purples, reds and golds mingle with the reflected light of the lanterns. Almost the entire royal family is in attendance, the only notable absentees being the king's brother Alfwyr, who was left behind at the last minute after it was realised that removing the entire governing structure of the kingdom, even temporarily, would probably be unwise, and those with admiralty responsibilities. The Jarrlanders appear more comfortable among the Salterri than those who recently fought against the Imperium, somewhat unsurprisingly, but many of them are still somewhat overawed at the Imperial capital; most of them have after all never left their kingdom.

Alfwigg sees his sister Celwyrr among the Lyradis delegation and greets her warmly.

King Athelmark and his wife Della
Athelmere and Edwyrd, the king's sons
Alfwigg, the king's nephew
Marrik Sunder, king's champion
Oswyn Isling, the new ambassador.

Celwyrr greeted Alfwigg happily, and asked earnestly how faired the lands of Jarr?

"Former, actually," said Lyra calmly. She stepped aside to display Liam and his wife. "Liam took up the throne upon my final selection, and I may now rest my weary mind. I have assured Lyradis is in good hands, and made it better than I left it. That is the Lyradissian way." She smiled warmly at Syana. "How fair you, Empress? Has you lands been purged of the diseases that plagued it?"

After Lyra's conversation, Liam looked interested in speaking with Syana, and says so.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-29, 10:08 AM
"Former, actually," said Lyra calmly. She stepped aside to display Liam and his wife. "Liam took up the throne upon my final selection, and I may now rest my weary mind. I have assured Lyradis is in good hands, and made it better than I left it. That is the Lyradissian way." She smiled warmly at Syana. "How fair you, Empress? Has you lands been purged of the diseases that plagued it?"

After Lyra's conversation, Liam looked interested in speaking with Syana, and says so.

((OOC: apologizing ahead of time for errors and lack of color text cause this is from my phone))

"It is the way of any good ruler and a fine thing to have taught to a society."

"All but the most southern province, though it is our hope to expunge it within the coming years. And yours? I Hope it fairs well despite the increasing heat and maddening weather?"

Syana accepts the new king's proposal and follows to wherever he wishes to discuss matters.

Rizban
2014-04-29, 10:26 AM
Amidst a small procession of priests, the Chief Hierarch arrives on the scene. Though dressed in the traditional garb of Ascension clergy, he is dressed down considerably from the more formal robes worn for church functions. This is, after all, a festival. He's accompanied by several of the Patriarchs, including a familiar face to those who attended the recent Grand Ball, Lady Simmony.

They work their way slowly towards the platform, stopping to speak to many they pass in a friendly, open manner.

Aedilred
2014-04-29, 10:28 AM
Celwyrr greeted Alfwigg happily, and asked earnestly how faired the lands of Jarr?
"Oh, much the same as ever," he replied lightly, "no matter how much it changes. Horbeach must have been completely rebuilt since you last saw it, but to be honest it still smells of fish. And while the sailors rolling around the streets can read now, they're no less drunk. How are you finding life in Requiem?"

Tychris1
2014-04-29, 11:35 AM
Shuffling alongside King Hroar, Ironfang grumbled incessantly under his breath. Unlike his fellow guest Ironfang came armed and armored, but then again, everywhere he went he was armed and armored. It wasn't really much of an option when your flesh was strapped and bolted underneath layers of metal. And spikes. Gripped in his iron claw was a walking cane, forged of a pitch black metal, Darkstar Iron found in the bowels of Sympolemou. The metal groaned each time he limped forward, his right leg obviously in a fair bit of pain as he coughed lightly.

Sniffing the air rapidly he swiveled his head this way and that before baring his teeth slightly.

"It reeks."

BladeofObliviom
2014-04-30, 02:28 AM
[On the Approach]

"You've certainly a keener sense of smell than I," mutters Hroar, eyes staid forward as he casually worked his way through the festival crowds toward the Qzare's platform, "But I'd imagine it smells much like any other city."

It wasn't long before the pair reached the platform, at which point Hroar offered a shallow bow.

"Greetings, honored Qzare: I, King Hroar of the Glazfell, arrive at your invitation. I would also introduce my friend and ally, Duke Ironfang of Sympolemou."

He knows not for sure if further customs are expected, but takes his seat at the large table regardless.

Morph Bark
2014-04-30, 03:15 PM

She laughed at the woman's jab at her husband and gave Athelmark a sly, mock judging look.

"It exceeds," she said, looking around, catching the eye of the Qzare as she did, "The palace here alone," she shook her head speechless.

"Aloren is one of of our finer provinces but it pales in comparison to this, and the lanterns and decorations only make it all the more impressive. I must be one of the first northerners to see this city in recent history, it is astounding."

Wandao chuckled at Syana's compliments. Whether she was trying too hard or being completely genuine he didn't know, but either way it was amusing. He supposed it was for the better that he not mention a third of the Salterri still lived in primitive houses in the countryside and Discord mountains and a minority of the remaining people lived in the cities. Then again, they shouldn't really count prisoners with that, or domestic slaves.

"You should see the Gates before you return home, it is the grandest sight one could hope to behold that is made by human hands."

Amalia had never traveled this far south before. She never thought she would ever see Salterri lands, or her province of Propinlonge, but a formal invitation from a head of state would be hard to pass up.

The heat here was far less tolerable than she had been told. All in all, it felt about as warm here in Xianzhi Urbe as it was in the Jeweled cities, but here it was far less humid. Her silks did not stick to her as much as they had in her last trip from home.

[...]

Eventually, she approached the Qzare, and tried her best to remember the traditional greetings of his people. She bowed low, very unlike the curtsey of her country, and tried to recall the rest, but the pressure got to her and she stumbled as she leaned.

Wandao rose from his seat when Amalia approached. "Please, please! This is a festival, under which we are equals. No need to bow so low on this beautiful night." He smiled. "Might I assume you to be the Queen of our peninsular friends?"

[...]

[...]

Wandao nods at the king and duke. "Welcome, good men. Be seated! There's food and drink aplenty. Enjoy yourselves!" He stared a bit longer than might be culturally appropriate in the north at Ironfang's suited appearance. He was unsure of how to bring it up, but was very curious about it. He cast a look at Hanyeo, who sat on one end of the table. When his brother tapped his sword's hilt he relaxed and poured himself another goblet of wine and raised it with a grin at his guests. "A toast! To great neighbours and distant friends."

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-04-30, 03:41 PM
Wandao nods at the king and duke. "Welcome, good men. Be seated! There's food and drink aplenty. Enjoy yourselves!" He stared a bit longer than might be culturally appropriate in the north at Ironfang's suited appearance. He was unsure of how to bring it up, but was very curious about it. He cast a look at Hanyeo, who sat on one end of the table. When his brother tapped his sword's hilt he relaxed and poured himself another goblet of wine and raised it with a grin at his guests. "A toast! To great neighbours and distant friends."

The Serendels raised their glasses curiously, and drank, save Bekya. Bekya raised a water glass instead, and drank from it.

QuintonBeck
2014-04-30, 04:03 PM
Wandao chuckled at Syana's compliments. Whether she was trying too hard or being completely genuine he didn't know, but either way it was amusing. He supposed it was for the better that he not mention a third of the Salterri still lived in primitive houses in the countryside and Discord mountains and a minority of the remaining people lived in the cities. Then again, they shouldn't really count prisoners with that, or domestic slaves.

"You should see the Gates before you return home, it is the grandest sight one could hope to behold that is made by human hands."

"Wandering the Salterri countryside alone? I didn't think such would be allowed," she smiled to show she meant no malice, "And I wouldn't know how to find them or even what to look for. They're religious shrines, no?"

"May peace reign," Syana answered, raising her own glass.

You mentioned Liam wanting to talk to Syana, that's set up if you wanna do that.

Rizban
2014-04-30, 07:30 PM
I have Hops/"Bracian Beer" for trade if anyone is interested.
Finally making their way through the crowd, the delegation from Ascension approaches the dais, though only the Chief Hierarch climbs the stairs up. The Patriarchs in attendance remain at a respectful distance where they can interact with other people more freely

"It is good to see you returned safely, Qzare. You should be pleased to know your brother ruled well in your absence."

Tychris1
2014-05-01, 07:00 AM
The Duke certainly didn't let the elongated stare go unmatched, his half metallic face twisting slightly as he stared back at Wandao, and rolls his armored shoulders as if to say "What? You going to do something?". Upon his attention breaking, Ironfang hobbled off with his cane, slowly clacking against the ground with each step he took. Taking his seat next to King Hroar, the Duke looks about to everyone raising a toast, and begrudgingly lifts up his cup in mimicry.

Aedilred
2014-05-01, 10:22 AM
Athelmark raised a glass to the toast, casting an eye around the assembled company. The other imperial delegates were only to be expected, and it was hardly surprising to see Celero and Lyradis here, given their holdings either within or on the borders of the Imperium, nor Syana given her stated intention to build bridges with the Imperium. The other guests, though... Of course there was no way of knowing what invitees had simply chosen not to attend, and the Qzare would likely draw his own conclusions. Glazfell Athelmark only knew as one of the great powers of the far north, but after his naive surprise at the Grand Ball he had made enquiries about Symoplemou, and knew them, whatever the eccentricities of their duke, to be one of the greatest martial cultures of the north, possessing an army disproportionate in both size and quality to its territorial holdings. They would make formidable allies. Or enemies.

Inwardly he grieved for the vainglory of Lord Cedrik. He had liked the man when he met him, and had thought him intelligent and honourable, but his stubborn defiance in Cassia had likely driven a permanent wedge between Bordeux and the Imperium. Perhaps there was still a chance that war could be averted, and in years to come the lords of the west would be standing here enjoying Wandao's - or his successor's - hospitality alongside other friends of the Imperium. And yet... his gaze kept drifting back towards Duke Ironfang.

"Let peace reign," he echoed.

BladeofObliviom
2014-05-01, 11:51 AM
Hroar toasts, but says nothing. When the time comes, though, he carefully lifts aside the bottom of his mask to drink, showing his scarred chin clearly to any who would wish to look, before replacing it.

The bera was not entirely sure why he had come here. Perhaps it was just the invitation, and he felt like he had some obligation to attend? That seemed like the only reason he would do anything at all now, for at least the past few years. Obligation. To the kingdom, to the family, to the son's memory.

Obligation.

He takes a moment to look around, eyes resting for mere moments upon Athelmark and Della, on Syana, on Liam and Lyra, on Amalia, on the Qzare, on Saltiere's Chief Hierarch, and finally upon the Duke Ironfang, the only one here he knew could be trusted. Though in fairness, Syana and Ironfang were the only ones he had even met. A different man might realize that this was a sign that perhaps he should get out more, but the Lord of the Glazfell simply felt surrounded by people he did not know and quite probably could not trust. Dangerous.

King Hroar suddenly felt very, very glad that Ironfang was here. He was no slouch to be sure, but the Sympol Duke could probably fight off half a dozen armed guards without flinching. Not that he'd ever seen him try, but...

Rizban
2014-05-01, 06:57 PM
"Ah, Athelmark, it is a pleasure to meet you."

The Chief Hierarch clasps his hand together and gives a short bow.

"I have heard much of your lands and peoples. I must say though, your portrait hardly does you justice."

Turning towards Syana, "I am sorry to intrude on your conversation, madam, but did I hear there was interest in visiting the Gates? Truly a splendid place and most holy of Our Lady. It is a place to which all good men should pilgrimage at least once in their lives. I intend a pilgrimage myself just shortly and will be glad to accompany you.

That said, my most noble Qzare, I would request the honor of personally leading the evening benediction rather than leaving it to one of the high priests as was previously discussed. I feel a divine calling from The Silver Lady and must heed her will."

Aedilred
2014-05-01, 07:11 PM

"I have heard much of your lands and peoples. I must say though, your portrait hardly does you justice."
The king returns the greeting with a solemn nod. "Likewise, Chief Hierarch. Although not so much about the portrait. I must admit, I was unaware I even had one."

Rizban
2014-05-01, 07:22 PM
The king returns the greeting with a solemn nod. "Likewise, Chief Hierarch. Although not so much about the portrait. I must admit, I was unaware I even had one."

"But of course. All the leaders of the Imperium have portraits. It would be rude not to have remembrances for them."

Logic
2014-05-02, 04:22 AM
Wandao rose from his seat when Amalia approached. "Please, please! This is a festival, under which we are equals. No need to bow so low on this beautiful night." He smiled. "Might I assume you to be the Queen of our peninsular friends?"

"You are quite perceptive, Lord, er, Qzare Wandao.

Amalia's cheeks flushed, her pale skin no longer just red from the mild sunburn she had suffered earlier in the day.

"I was always curious about the Lady Governor that fell in love with my grandfather, King Andust. Ingewell was her name? Inglewald? Ingveil? Perhaps you care to tell me more about her, and what he might have missed."

She smirked, feeling in control for the first time since appearing before him.

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-05-02, 06:59 AM
At a time when Wandao is available, Lyra and Liam approach and bow respectfully.

"Qzare," Lyra said, "it is my pleasure to introduce the new Lord of Lyradis, Liam Serendel. He has taken on the responsibilities and title of ruler for our lands. Thank you for inviting us to these festivities." Lyra found it a little distracting that not a decade ago, she had seen the Qzare being questioned, strapped to a pole. The unanswered questions she had asked him still burned inside her. What had happened to the Kells?

Liam nods as Lyra introduced him, and offered a hand to Wandao, giving him a steady, if friendly look. Liam wondered what the effort behind this invitation was to Lyra, and why he had not been the one who the invitation had been addressed to. Judging by the way that the Saterri seemed to often be well informed, it did not seem to Liam that this had been a mistake. Liam spoke to Wandao then, "It is a pleasure, Qzare Wandao. In coming to rule, I hope that Serendel and Salterri continue the bond they have recently formed.

QuintonBeck
2014-05-02, 10:00 AM

Turning towards Syana, "I am sorry to intrude on your conversation, madam, but did I hear there was interest in visiting the Gates? Truly a splendid place and most holy of Our Lady. It is a place to which all good men should pilgrimage at least once in their lives. I intend a pilgrimage myself just shortly and will be glad to accompany you.

That said, my most noble Qzare, I would request the honor of personally leading the evening benediction rather than leaving it to one of the high priests as was previously discussed. I feel a divine calling from The Silver Lady and must heed her will."

"A fine offer," she said smiling politely, "One I shall surely consider once I know what the Gates are exactly?"

Rizban
2014-05-02, 10:07 AM
"A fine offer," she said smiling politely, "One I shall surely consider once I know what the Gates are exactly?"

Upon her reply, the Chief Hierarch simply stares at Syana incredulously for a moment. "It's the most holy spiritual site in the world..."

QuintonBeck
2014-05-02, 10:27 AM
Upon her reply, the Chief Hierarch simply stares at Syana incredulously for a moment. "It's the most holy spiritual site in the world..."

"I imagine the Blazing Temple would argue that point. What I mean to say, is what is it physically? I'm not much of a religious woman, not to say I'm unappreciative of religion but I find myself more curious as to what things are in the basest sense," she said, hoping not to offend the Chief Hierarch but no doubt failing.

Radurja was a good religion for Syana because it left much of the spirituality and degrees of worship up to the individual and just provided guidelines in that. More organized religions were rarely so understanding.

Aedilred
2014-05-02, 10:28 AM
"Depending on your faith, of course," Athelmark chuckles. "Remember, Chief Hierarch, these northerners are all heathens. Like me."

Tychris1
2014-05-02, 10:38 AM
Glancing his eyes about, the Sympol Duke began to drink rather rapidly from his cup. Every few seconds he'd take a quick sip from the fine liquid, before just as quickly placing it down and muttering. He held his armored head in his disproportionate iron claw, placing his prosthetic elbow onto the table, and began slowly drumming his fleshy yet armored claw against the table. At first it was a rapid assortment of taps and light thumps, though slowly it began to form an actual coherent rhythm, and as the Duke looked about as bored as ever he began to speak. Not to anyone in particular, as it was more of a light speech under his breathe.

"Fifteen Sympol on a dead rat's chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Drink and the beast be done for the rest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum....."

He sighed, silently miming the rest of the words as his fingers kept the beat.

Aedilred
2014-05-02, 11:53 AM
Leaving Fidious and Syana to talk, Athelmark thought he had better go and greet some of the more far-flung visitors, and, beckoning Athelmere to his side, made his way over to Hroar and Ironfang.

"Lord king, my lord duke, an honour to meet you at last. Your reputations precede you, and may I say what a pleasure it is to see you here so far from your homelands. I am sure milord Qzare is delighted that you have both travelled such distances to visit the Imperium." He gestured to his son. "Might I introduce my son, Athelmere." Mere gave - by his standards - a fairly formal nod.

BladeofObliviom
2014-05-02, 12:15 PM
Having recently paused in his own paranoid thoughts, King Hroar was just about to stand up and begin approaching somebody or another when he found himself addressed by Athelmark.

"You were at the ball."

Not a question but a statement of fact, of memory. He'd relived that memory a thousand times in his nightmares already; what is one more? Catching himself, though, he stops a moment to nod back to Athelmere, single antler dipping downward.

"We did not speak then, however. It is good to meet you properly, Lord Athelmark."

When one is unsure of the other person's precise rank, "Lord" is usually an inoffensive substitute. Unless they happen to be very high up and prickly about it, as some are. Or if they happen to be a lady.

Rizban
2014-05-02, 01:05 PM
"Depending on your faith, of course," Athelmark chuckles. "Remember, Chief Hierarch, these northerners are all heathens. Like me."

"Speaking of, one of the Patriarchs is apparently descended from your peoples and wishes to accompany your party back to her family's homelands. She has a great desire to see these lands for herself."

Aedilred
2014-05-02, 05:36 PM
*snip*Athelmark gives a brief, solemn nod at mention of the ball. Both he and Hroar had lost children there, and it did not seem necessary, or wise, to revisit those events tonight.

"How fares the far north? We have heard tales of famine and unrest from north of the Imperium, but I am unsure as to its extent."

"Speaking of, one of the Patriarchs is apparently descended from your peoples and wishes to accompany your party back to her family's homelands. She has a great desire to see these lands for herself."
"I confess I was unaware any of my people had travelled so widely, but records of the time before my coronation are thin," the king says. "But far be it from me to prevent anyone from returning to the kingdom should they wish. What is the lady's name?"

Rizban
2014-05-02, 09:59 PM
The festival's host has grown rather quiet... If I don't hear back from Morph, I'm going to just assume the Qzare gave permission."Matriarch Militiae, though if you want to know more about her background, you'll have to speak with her. I must admit that I'm not overly familiar with the history of any of the Patriarchs prior to their joining the Church."

HisHolyAngel
2014-05-03, 07:46 AM
The last day of school strikes again meaning I don't get to post here until the last day of the round!

Fabula, Glamora, one male priest, and a single soldier arrive fashionably late. Her eyes search the festival for those who had invited her, and as she looked, she spotted Hroar. She let out a sigh of relief, happy to see that he had finally left his lands.

Morph Bark
2014-05-03, 12:56 PM
I have Hops/"Bracian Beer" for trade if anyone is interested.
Finally making their way through the crowd, the delegation from Ascension approaches the dais, though only the Chief Hierarch climbs the stairs up. The Patriarchs in attendance remain at a respectful distance where they can interact with other people more freely

"It is good to see you returned safely, Qzare. You should be pleased to know your brother ruled well in your absence."

"That said, my most noble Qzare, I would request the honor of personally leading the evening benediction rather than leaving it to one of the high priests as was previously discussed. I feel a divine calling from The Silver Lady and must heed her will."

Wandao rose and made a very slight bow to the Chief Hierarch. While he was Qzare, Zanper was still one of the Imperium's foremost governors and champions, a reason he left him much free reign as vassal to the greater Imperium. "Thank you, Chief Hierarch. Indeed he has." He exchanged looks with Hanyeo, who rose a goblet of wine at them from the end of the table with a silent smile. The fact that his safe return came marked with a lost finger and a cut across thigh and ass for Hanyeo was something they had kept from everyone.

"I shall grant you that honour! One must always heed the Silver Lady's calling, as all should in their own way."

"You are quite perceptive, Lord, er, Qzare Wandao.

Amalia's cheeks flushed, her pale skin no longer just red from the mild sunburn she had suffered earlier in the day.

"I was always curious about the Lady Governor that fell in love with my grandfather, King Andust. Ingewell was her name? Inglewald? Ingveil? Perhaps you care to tell me more about her, and what he might have missed."

She smirked, feeling in control for the first time since appearing before him.

The Qzare gestured at an empty seat for the Celerese queen to take, before he sat himself again. "Ignewel, if memory serves. She was... quite peculiar indeed. Good to the people, but a bit touched."

At a time when Wandao is available, Lyra and Liam approach and bow respectfully.

"Qzare," Lyra said, "it is my pleasure to introduce the new Lord of Lyradis, Liam Serendel. He has taken on the responsibilities and title of ruler for our lands. Thank you for inviting us to these festivities." Lyra found it a little distracting that not a decade ago, she had seen the Qzare being questioned, strapped to a pole. The unanswered questions she had asked him still burned inside her. What had happened to the Kells?

Liam nods as Lyra introduced him, and offered a hand to Wandao, giving him a steady, if friendly look. Liam wondered what the effort behind this invitation was to Lyra, and why he had not been the one who the invitation had been addressed to. Judging by the way that the Saterri seemed to often be well informed, it did not seem to Liam that this had been a mistake. Liam spoke to Wandao then, "It is a pleasure, Qzare Wandao. In coming to rule, I hope that Serendel and Salterri continue the bond they have recently formed.

Wandao seized up Liam from head to toe, then grasped his hand with strength. "A pleasure indeed. A gracious wish for a new king rising to the throne. Would that I that to look forward to when I first seated upon the Silver." Wandao cast a look at Lyra, recalling what things Hanyeo had told him of their meeting during his captivity. "Should you have time after the festival, tomorrow, Lord Liam, I will gladly discuss with you precisely how we might continue this bond."

I dunno if the tribute from Requiem to Aus-Teire was ever made official. Was it?

Glancing his eyes about, the Sympol Duke began to drink rather rapidly from his cup. Every few seconds he'd take a quick sip from the fine liquid, before just as quickly placing it down and muttering. He held his armored head in his disproportionate iron claw, placing his prosthetic elbow onto the table, and began slowly drumming his fleshy yet armored claw against the table. At first it was a rapid assortment of taps and light thumps, though slowly it began to form an actual coherent rhythm, and as the Duke looked about as bored as ever he began to speak. Not to anyone in particular, as it was more of a light speech under his breathe.

"Fifteen Sympol on a dead rat's chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Drink and the beast be done for the rest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum....."

He sighed, silently miming the rest of the words as his fingers kept the beat.

Hanyeo made his way over to Ironfang, who sat on the other end of the table. He had gotten intrigued by the iron-encased rat, who seemed to have a thing for song. He pushed one of the Salterri officials aside, who moved away from his seat, and sat down beside the Duke. "Not used to being so far south, eh." He noted, and ticked an iron flask against the Duke's knee below the table, a faked-innocent smirk on his face. "Hope that wine isn't weak to you, if rum's more your kind of poison."

Fabula, Glamora, one male priest, and a single soldier arrive fashionably late. Her eyes search the festival for those who had invited her, and as she looked, she spotted Hroar. She let out a sigh of relief, happy to see that he had finally left his lands.

Right then, a cloud of small fiery lights rose from the square before them, as people lit up lanterns that burned with silver light as they rose up into the night sky, where one moon hid yet behind the other, filling the sky with many more lights than just the stars.

Wandao took his eyes off the sight--that he looked at with childlike joy and half-open mouth--just long enough to see the new arrival. "Ah, Queen of Sycia! You've arrived just in time, it seems."

QuintonBeck
2014-05-03, 04:50 PM
Syana watched as the flickering silver lights lifted into the air, how they managed to make the glow appear so sat her pondering. She would assume they would use fire but fire glowed warm and orange, even if the paper were of silver sheen, telling herself to relax she simply stared and enjoyed the peaceful twinkles. She took her eyes off the spectacle, looking over towards the Qzare. She'd seen him cast questioning glances at his brother throughout the night and she had begun to grow curious about their relationship.

Hanyeo had stepped down from the position of Qzare apparently when Wandao had returned but from their silent interactions Syana was unsure what the true situation was. She liked Wandao, but she had heard Hanyeo to be a hard man from Athelmark and others and hard men rarely made good allies if they did not forge the alliance themselves. She sidled over to where Wandao was standing, curious to see what the man knew and strangely desiring to talk with him since their interruption and her conversations apart.

"They're beautiful, and on such a beautiful evening as well," she said, looking up then back down at Wandao and smiling, "I believe you said the Gates were a beautiful sight in your lands as well? You'll forgive my earlier digression from that conversation but," she checked around to make sure no Priory folks were around, "frankly I didn't want to travel there with the Chief Hierarch, religious men are rarely as entertaining as those who lead nations."

Rizban
2014-05-03, 09:17 PM
Later, After Sunset

The crowd gathers in the amphitheater as the sun sets on the Moonshroud Festival. Candles are lit one by one as a single flame is shared among all those gathered, special chemicals soaked into the wicks to give the candles a radiant silver glow. Though there is some conversation, it stays at a low murmur out of respect for the ceremony to come. All falls to silence as Chief Hierarch Zanper Fidious takes the stage.

"Long ago, as you know, the Silvery Lady walked the world. In our time, she walks the heavens and watches over us."

Though dragging a little long, the benediction takes the traditional form as the ceremony continues along the usual script. However, towards the end of the hour when the candles are to blown out in unison, things diverge from what is expected of a typical Hailing of the Silvery Sea ceremony.

"As did the Silvery Lady, the Ascendant, shed her human form and take to the heavens, so too must we follow in her path. By the power and the purity, I urge you to rise up, take hold of that which lies above. Oh, Silvery Lady, the first and greatest, we call upon you. We beseech your power. Take us by the hand, guide us, and bring us closer to you in spirit and in form. We call upon you to reveal to us the truth path of Ascension! Lead us upon your silvered bridges to walk with you in glory and power, in spirit and in body!

Are you ready to give yourself to the Lady? Can you walk her path? I call upon you to stand now! Stand and shout out to the Silvery Lady Ascendant. Are you prepared for the Path?! Stand and shout "I'm ready!" Do you have the strength of spirit? The strength of will? The strength of true conviction? Stand and shout "I'm ready!" Prepare your hearts, for the Silvery Lady Ascendant walks among us seeking those who serve her faithfully, those who walk her true paths of Ascension, those who will give themselves to her. Stand and shout "I'm ready!"

Do not fear, for in your fear, you will deny the Lady. Deny her, and she will deny you. Obey her precepts and Respect her ways. Stand and shout "I'm ready!" Have Valor and the Ambition to take the first step! Stand and shout "I'm ready!" Stand now! Call upon the Silvery Lady Ascendant!"

It's all you, Morph...

[14 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?331102-EMPIRE!-The-Community-Dice-Rolling-Thread&p=17412874#post17412874)], if it makes a difference.

Aedilred
2014-05-04, 04:31 PM
Like many others present that evening, Athelmere had been at the Grand Ball and had witnessed Tendaji's ritual. Unlike almost anyone else present, he'd been scarcely more than a child, and that incident had been the defining feature of his young life. Hardly a day since had passed where he hadn't revisited those events and thought about what he could have, should have done differently. He'd spent a hardly insignificant amount of time thinking what he would do if the same thing happened again.

Not to mention that the entire experience had - despite the reassurances of Shvedristi and his father - given him a deep-seated distrust of priests.

As the Chief Hierarch entered his peroration, he found himself glancing around at his family. The king looked on impassively, his mother looked uncertain. Alfwigg was some distance away, his back to him, and Tempest was back in Horbeach, mercifully. But whatever was going on here, he wasn't going to get caught out again. This time, he'd be ready. He edged slightly closer to his brother.

Morph Bark
2014-05-04, 07:24 PM
[Syana] sidled over to where Wandao was standing, curious to see what the man knew and strangely desiring to talk with him since their interruption and her conversations apart.

"They're beautiful, and on such a beautiful evening as well," she said, looking up then back down at Wandao and smiling, "I believe you said the Gates were a beautiful sight in your lands as well? You'll forgive my earlier digression from that conversation but," she checked around to make sure no Priory folks were around, "frankly I didn't want to travel there with the Chief Hierarch, religious men are rarely as entertaining as those who lead nations."

"They are," Wandao said almost reverently, a twinkle in his eyes. "My lady Empress, I would be honoured to guide you over the Gates and send you off from Panoccident's ports after. If you wait a day with your leave, I shall arrange for a bird to be sent to bring word of our coming and get what business lies here is taken care of."

Later, After Sunset

[...]

Late At Night (It was already past sunset.)

Wandao looked on with a cynic's curiosity, while Hanyeo's were locked in a firm stare upon the Chief Hierarch, as if he were playing cards with the Silver Lady herself.

With rewriting the rules and tons of agreements for the Salterri, my dust is spent and I'm sure you could do a better job for this. You could go halfway if you like, and I could finish it up tomorrow morning with a few surprises. I think the winged ones probably wouldn't have anything near perfect flight yet, though there might be a talented one among them. It'd be funny if it were not the Chief Hierarch himself, at least.

Lots of spoilers for certain people only. I advise against quoting this post for that reason.
The following day, the Qzare sends for Chief Hierarch Zanper Fidious to come to one of the palace's conference rooms. There, he greets him and bids him to be seated. "Lord Hierarch, one of the things I learned of upon my return to the Imperium was that my brother brokered an agreement with you regarding the matters of the Imperium. I have seen it, and it is a fine agreement indeed. However, it shall be amended.

"Point 1.2 of the agreement shall have "nations" changed to "regions" and refer only to those parts of the Imperium under direct control of the Silver Throne. The terms otherwise could be confused too easily with those of point 1.3, so you shall fall under the terms of the latter and have the title of Provincial Lord.

"Point 1.3 of the agreement shall have the part "or the Senate" be removed. The Senate is subject to internal politicking and as I, the Qzare, deals with Provincial Lords much more often than others do personally, I believe this to be better for the Imperium and the states under its banner, the Priory included.

"Point 3.1 shall be altered: The state officially recognizes the following religions: Hailings of the Silver Sea; Ascension. The state officially endorses the Hailings of the Silver Sea. In addition, point 3.3.1 shall be added: The clergy of all state recognized faiths may move through all Imperial lands to spread their beliefs, with permission of the Provincial Lord of the lands they intend to move through. You rose to power in my absence and may have gained my brother's trust, but you and the other Provincial Lords have yet to gain mine. These terms would allow free spread of your faith through Bor-Teire, Aus-Teire, Pontinsulae and Penoccident. I know not enough of it yet to allow you such freedom.

"On that account, I have heard of trouble in one of our border provinces and Hanyeo has informed me you wish to take charge in its solution. The people who call themselves minotines, it was? You are free to seize it and drive them out to bring it back under the people who are native to the region, would that they had on their own. They are as cowardly as the ravens they resemble.

"Your governance over these three provinces of yours will allow me to see whether I should trust you with grander designs. Last night's spectacle was quite something, and I hope it shall not remain only spectacle with you, Chief Hierarch. Further, each of these regions shall ship a supply of food to Aus-Teire if they have it among their resources, and Salteire shall ship a supply of silver and salt to Aus-Teire. Do you agree to all this?" The question was more courtesy than anything.

(OOC: Mechanically, the Priory would become a greater vassal that pays some tribute to Aus-Teire. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326407-EMPIRE!-A-World-Building-Game-of-People-amp-Discovery&p=17304905&viewfull=1#post17304905) is the link to the original agreement. I cannot quote it since it is a quote, and I no longer have it myself.)
The following day, the Qzare sends for King Athelmark and his son to come to one of the palace's conference rooms. There, he greets them and bids them to be seated as he sends a servant to bring them some ale from the northern provinces. "I received your letter in earnest, King Athelmark. I intend to meet with the Chief Hierarch later today to amend the terms of the agreement and hope you shall sign it as well.

"Point 1.2 of the agreement shall have "nations" changed to "regions" and refer only to those parts of the Imperium under direct control of the Silver Throne. The terms otherwise could be confused too easily with those of point 1.3, so you shall fall under the terms of the latter and have the title of Provincial Lord.

"Point 1.3 of the agreement shall have the part "or the Senate" be removed.

"Point 3.1 shall be altered: The state officially recognizes the following religions: Hailings of the Silver Sea; Ascension. The state officially endorses the Hailings of the Silver Sea. In addition, point 3.3.1 shall be added: The clergy of all state recognized faiths may move through all Imperial lands to spread their beliefs, with permission of the Provincial Lord of the lands they intend to move through.

"On the matter of this "King Minron" you mention: I have no idea who he is. He, like the Priory, rose to power during my captivity. While the Chief Hierarch has told me the minotines he leads are a threat to the original people of those lands, my brother has done the same, so I am inclined to believe that and shall let the Priory proceed. On that matter, no doubt part of the reason why you feel threatened by the Priory is that you feel you and your people might be left behind. You shall not. I shall grant you leave to lay claim and dominance over the region you call Vennland. I would much rather see the Jarrows in those lands than the northerners. I may treat with them, but I hardly trust them, regardless of their charm.

"I thank you for your letter and in saying you should rather pledge yourself to me and the Silver Throne personally out of loyalty rather than bureaucratic dictation. Nevertheless, it would please me if you signed it nevertheless. The military matters dictated within are the only matters I have not addressed, but they should be easy enough to maintain, especially for a Provincial Lord's mere 3000 per province under your rule. Your words are of greater value than your signature, and your actions of greater value than your words, but your signature shall ensure that the Priory keep their mouths shut about any agreements we might have between us.

"Further, as your Qzare I shall not limit your governance in severe matters, but I do ask tribute in that each of the regions under your rule shall ship a supply of food to Aus-Teire if they have it among their resources. Beyond that, we may trade so that the needs of your people are cared for as well, and further interesting things from your lands are seen in our Imperial capital." He raises a mug with a smile. "To our shared glory and the health of us all. I shall next see you no doubt when next someone from your main line is married, if you would have me."

(OOC: Mechanically, the Kingdom of the Jarrs would become a greater vassal that pays some tribute to Aus-Teire. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326407-EMPIRE!-A-World-Building-Game-of-People-amp-Discovery&p=17304905&viewfull=1#post17304905) is the link to the original agreement. I cannot quote it since it is a quote, and I no longer have it myself.)
The following day, the Qzare sends for Empress Syana to come to one of the palace's conference rooms. There, he greets her and bids her to be seated as he sends a servant to bring them some wine from the peninsular provinces. "Empress Syana, blessed be your hearth. I hope after that Grand Ball that saw my release things have since come to fare well for you. That is, sadly, one thing I wish to discuss with you. Upon my release, the terms discussed with you were agreed upon only verbally. I wish to lay them down in writing and make them official. I have taken the liberty to let a document be prepared:"

Peace Treaty of the Northern Countries and the Salterri Imperium

By the power vested in them by the northern countries who fought against the Salterri Imperium in the Battle of the Tuor Coast of 375, and the Salterri Imperium and its provinces and allies, the signatories of this document declare that there shall be peace between them for a period of twenty-five years after the signing of this document by all the terms described below.

The Northern Countries pledge...
...that they shall not sail military ships through Salterri territorial waters without the Qzare's explicit permission or that of the Provincial Lord gouverning that province, specifically excluding Celerese ships bound for their provinces beyond the Gap that lies between Penoccident and Cassia.
...that they shall not have any soldier set foot on soil the Salterri Imperium claims gouvernance over without the Qzare's explicit permission or that of the Provincial Lord gouverning that province.

The Salterri Imperium and its provinces pledge...
...that they shall not sail military ships through the territorial waters of the Kingdom of Celero, the Triumvirate, the Serendel Empire or the Guilderene Expanse, specifically excluding the Strait of Fiassa.
...that they shall not have any soldier set foot on soil belonging to the signatory northern countries of this document, specifically excluding the region of Requiem, due to specific agreement with the Serendel Empire of specialized jurisdiction.

Signatory Nations:
The following day, the Qzare sends for King Hroar, High Priestess Fabula and Duke Ironfang to come to one of the palace's conference rooms. There, he greets them and bids them to be seated as he sends a servant to bring them some rum from the southern provinces. "My northerner guests, welcome! Though perhaps I should not call you by that term. I don't suppose the continent you hail from has a specific name in your tongue? Either way, I have invited you all to this Festival not for mere sightseeing, but with purpose. The northerners and the Salterri have long had quarrel. I have brokered a peace with them, but you can never trust an enemy, least of all with peace. The Salterri always keep a minimum amount of troops at the ready to ensure stability internal and external. I would hope it to be possible for there to be an alliance and trade between us--whether you would trade with me, or with King Athelmark, whom you might already know."

Aedilred
2014-05-04, 08:04 PM
Athelmark smiles, and raises a glass to the toast with an expression that seems to indicate relief. "Thank you, milord. I am gladdened by the seriousness with which you have listened to my counsel. Although some of my concerns remain - especially in light of that strange performance last night - I am satisfied that the government of the Imperium remains in good hands.

"With regard to the Priory's actions against Minron, I have relatively little contact with the protectorates to the west and am reliant on the word of travellers and merchants. The version of events that I had heard conflicted with the declaration given by the Priory, but doubtless Lord Xiu Hanyeo is better informed than me and I gladly defer to his judgment."

He shakes his head slightly. "Although I have made great efforts to teach my people to read, I remain an old-fashioned man at heart and a signed document is worth little to me next to my trust in the man who signed it. In my opinion, it is the hearts of men that govern their actions. You are my liege and I would take up arms to defend you treaty or no, and I can say with confidence that my brother and my son - who with any luck will wear my crown for many years after I am dead - would do the same for the same reasons. But if it would please you and set your mind at ease, then I shall indeed sign.

"We should be honoured to have to as a guest in our land, though I fear even the grandest building in Horbeach would be unfit for a Qzare. I shall however ensure you are invited nonetheless."

OOC: I don't have any food-based resources (and have to import grain) but currently have trades in place to ship limestone and timber to Aus-Teire as things stand. If I need to step up the amounts or add additional resources let me know.

QuintonBeck
2014-05-04, 09:59 PM
"That sounds a pleasure indeed," Syana smiled at the Qzare, "I shall happily delay departure a day that I might travel with you and see these Gates."

"It seems a fine enough document to myself but I cannot sign it without review amongst my fellow leaders of the Triumvirate and so disparate are the beliefs and views of the Salterri among the northern countries I doubt I might receive signature from any of them without extreme protest at some verbage used or another."

"If you wish me to take it north and have it distributed for review I might do so but I suspect it might be years or decades before you hear back from any nation other than my own and that the majority of them shall have a retinue of edits they would desire before signing. You met a united north but in your capture you lived long enough in the northern lands to see that 'united' would hardly be a word that might be used as descriptor for our nations."

"I will take this north for you if you so desire and distribute it, but only on the condition that I not be held responsible or seen as failing in my duties should no other nation agree to put their name to it."

Logic
2014-05-04, 11:50 PM
"That sounds a pleasure indeed," Syana smiled at the Qzare, "I shall happily delay departure a day that I might travel with you and see these Gates."

"It seems a fine enough document to myself but I cannot sign it without review amongst my fellow leaders of the Triumvirate and so disparate are the beliefs and views of the Salterri among the northern countries I doubt I might receive signature from any of them without extreme protest at some verbage used or another."

"If you wish me to take it north and have it distributed for review I might do so but I suspect it might be years or decades before you hear back from any nation other than my own and that the majority of them shall have a retinue of edits they would desire before signing. You met a united north but in your capture you lived long enough in the northern lands to see that 'united' would hardly be a word that might be used as descriptor for our nations."

"I will take this north for you if you so desire and distribute it, but only on the condition that I not be held responsible or seen as failing in my duties should no other nation agree to put their name to it."
"I'd be interesting in seeing these gates for myself as well. I do hope it is not too bothersome to invite myself along." Amalia coyly stated, doing her best to pass off her subtle rudeness as slightly flirtatious.

Rizban
2014-05-04, 11:51 PM
My initial plan actually was to not have the CH get "upgraded."

I'd like to address the agreement with the Qzare after this aside is completed, because it has the potential to drastically change the way I respond to his request/demand. Also, I have jury duty tomorrow, so I may or may not be able to get back online before the round ends. I'm not sure how that's going to affect actions as a result...

Late At Night (It was already past sunset.)

Wandao looked on with a cynic's curiosity, while Hanyeo's were locked in a firm stare upon the Chief Hierarch, as if he were playing cards with the Silver Lady herself.

With rewriting the rules and tons of agreements for the Salterri, my dust is spent and I'm sure you could do a better job for this. You could go halfway if you like, and I could finish it up tomorrow morning with a few surprises. I think the winged ones probably wouldn't have anything near perfect flight yet, though there might be a talented one among them. It'd be funny if it were not the Chief Hierarch himself, at least."I'm ready!" "I'm ready!" "I'm ready!"

Shouts echo throughout the amphitheater as several people stand to claim total devotion to the Silvery Lady Ascendant, though far fewer than Chief Hierarch Zanper Fidious might have expected. Many who might otherwise stand glance nervously at the Qzare and hesitate upon seeing his stare.

A flash of light! A resounding chime! A shout of half joy and half groan! One of the men who stood is seen to double over, and all eyes turn to him. With a burst of radiant silver light, his tunic is shredded about his shoulders as radiant silvery wings burst forth! Then another! And another! More of those who stand to claim their devotion are blessed!

"Behold! Those who stand before the Silvery Lady are blessed by her! Come! Come now! Stand and claim her ways! Follow her path! Reach for her hand as she is reaching for yours!"

"I'm ready!" "I'm ready!"

As he looks over the crowd, more begin to stand and shout their praise, though not all are blessed.

"Only those of truth faith and belief and strong of spirit can follow the difficult path! If your heart has doubt, if your soul has darkness, if you spirit has fear, cast them aside! These detestable things withhold you from the Lady's blessings! Come, claim her blessings now!"

"I'm ready!"

"But, I warn you! This warning I give unto you. Do not claim her ways and her blessings lightly! Let not your greed spur you onward, on what you think a blessing will become a curse! Only the devout are blessed, though the blessing is not for you! Those of you who bear the mark of the Silvery Lady Ascendant upon your shoulders, it is not you who are blessed but those who see you!"

Those who have been gifted begin to sing a chorus of praise to the Silver Lady, a melodious sound of perfect harmony that seems to take an almost physical form as what can only be described as a "fog" of shimmering, silvery lights dances through the air in time to the hymn. Though most of these 'angels' remain standing where they are, two leap into the air, taking flight above the crowd, their wings shining with the Lady's glory. The man and woman in flight almost dance around one another as they take up positions on either side of the Chief Hierarch though several feet in the air above his head. They raise their arms and sing praises.

"You are become the tools of Our Lady, the mirrors to reflect her great glory! It is a blessing to you, but more so to others! To you, it is doubly a blessing and responsibility. Those who bear the Lady's splendor, doubly responsible are you to uphold her ways, doubly responsible to obey her precepts! Obedience, Ambition, Respect, Valor, and all those precept under them, but most of all Spirituality. Purity of spirit! Gifted with her ways, others will look to you for guidance, and you will be held doubly responsible for your actions.

Those of you who remain ungifted, fear not! Your gift is greater still! Here you witness the glory of the Silvery Lady Ascendant firsthand! Stand and claim your loyalty, your beliefs, your devotion! Then go out into the world and share what you have seen. Spread her ways across the lands that your might be blessed in this life and the next!"

Tychris1
2014-05-05, 07:08 AM
Hanyeo made his way over to Ironfang, who sat on the other end of the table. He had gotten intrigued by the iron-encased rat, who seemed to have a thing for song. He pushed one of the Salterri officials aside, who moved away from his seat, and sat down beside the Duke. "Not used to being so far south, eh." He noted, and ticked an iron flask against the Duke's knee below the table, a faked-innocent smirk on his face. "Hope that wine isn't weak to you, if rum's more your kind of poison."

The Duke looked at Hanyeo, behind green stained glass his eye twitched slightly, and were one to stare deeply enough it would appear as if he raised his eyebrow at the foreigner. His massive iron claw released his head, rotating briefly as it slid under the table, and grabbed ahold of Hanyeo's hand. The prosthetic limb was rather bulky, scraping against Ironfangs knee in the process, and dwarfing the Salterii's hand completely. He grabbed the flask with a powerful grip, slowly pulling it up to his lips as he continued his little shanty.

"The mate was fixed by the bos'n's pike
The bos'n' brained with a markin spike
And Darkon's throat was marked belike
It had been gripped by a claws long strike
And there they lay all good dead rats
Like break o' day on boozing mats...."

He raised the flask up to his helmet, tapping it against his metallic dome twice, and then taking a long pull from it.

"Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum."

Placing the flask to his side, he leaned forward, a slight grin on his face as he stared at Hanyeo.

"I don't really like rum, it's more of a.... family tradition. One I doubt you southerners have heard of."

Ironfang looked at Qzare as he took his seat, his eyes unflinchingly boring holes through the Salterii man.

"I don't mind you calling us northerners, if you don't mind me calling the other so called "Northerners" southerners. Lets cut straight to the heart of the matter, what do you have in mind specifically?"

Morph Bark
2014-05-07, 08:35 AM

"I'd be interesting in seeing these gates for myself as well. I do hope it is not too bothersome to invite myself along." Amalia coyly stated, doing her best to pass off her subtle rudeness as slightly flirtatious.

"I don't see why not. Both of your desires can easily be accomodated." Wandao considered suggesting bringing Hanyeo along, but he might better talk with him later, seeing him caught in chatter with the iron rat.

Those who have been gifted begin to sing a chorus of praise to the Silver Lady, a melodious sound of perfect harmony that seems to take an almost physical form as what can only be described as a "fog" of shimmering, silvery lights dances through the air in time to the hymn. Though most of these 'angels' remain standing where they are, two leap into the air, taking flight above the crowd, their wings shining with the Lady's glory. The man and woman in flight almost dance around one another as they take up positions on either side of the Chief Hierarch though several feet in the air above his head. They raise their arms and sing praises.

During the ritual ceremony, Hanyeo suddenly doubled over next to Wandao, grasping at his plate armour. He looked at his brother worriedly and moved to check on him, but he was pushed away. Hanyeo excused himself and hurried back inside of the amphitheater.

BladeofObliviom
2014-05-07, 11:34 AM
(Sorry, been soooo busy. Anyway, I dunno if anyone's still interested in this particular bit of RP but I'll post for it just in case.)

Hroar's normally impassive gaze cracked an ever-so-slight smile as Ironfang spoke.

"Indeed. We are fairly far north, after all."

He doesn't comment any further, though. Ironfang's question was a good one, and he wished to hear the answer.

Rizban
2014-05-08, 06:41 AM
Chief Hierarch Zanper Fidious is seated in the place indicated, though he sits rather stiffly with his hands in his lap.

"I am glad you approve of the document, especially considering I authored the majority of it myself, though your brother did help to refine a few parts of it. It was my, admittedly small, attempt to do what I could to help resolve the conflicts at home while our noble Qzare's attention was elsewhere. It would not do to have had you return to a crumbling empire.

I agree with these first two points. It is reasonable. I included the Senate in the original document to prevent it being rejected by the senate in your absence. Now that you have returned, I agree that the clauses regarding the Senate being removed is prudent. As to my title, whichever title you give me is meaningless to me, so long as I am permitted to remain a loyal servant of the people, the Imperium, and the Qzare."

As Qzare Wandao continues, Zanper begins to appear pained at the Qzare's words.

"My lord Qzare, how can you say you do not know of my faith when you and I follow the same belief of the Silvery Lady? That we have been maligned as a new religion is pure politicking coming from certain leaders of older institutions desperate to hold onto their power over the people. We are true to the faith and believe in a church restored to true obedience of the Silvery Lady apart from the base desires for secular control and power. Indeed, that you might see the truth of this, I have brought you carefully crafted copies of the holy texts."

The Chief Hierarch presents the three books he has brought with him to the Qzare to be read at his convenience: The Argent Scripturae (the traditional scriptures of the Hailings of the Siver Sea), The Book of Ascension: Another Testament of the Silvery Lady, and Hermeneutica: The Modern Theology of Spiritual Health.

"'When you read these things, ask the Silvery Lady, the First Ascendant, if these things are not true. If you ask with a sincere heart and true intent, having faith in her, she will manifest the truth unto you.'"

Continuing to the next point, the Chief Hierarch is obviously a bit uncomfortable.

"I do not. As I have said, I do not seek to rule anything. I was simply acting in the best interests of the Imperium. The peoples there are under the Imperium's protection. That they were not aided sooner and by those in better position to do so is somewhat disconcerting, but not unreasonable due to their own internal disharmony. They lacked the unity to defend themselves or to be truly useful to our great empire. We sought to defend them and assist them at forging themselves an organized government that conforms with the norms of the Imperium that they might remain one with us and useful to us and us to them. However, if it is the Qzare's wish that the Priory continue administration of this province after working to bring stability to the region, I will, of course, comply with your wishes and work to that end. Know only that this was neither my goal nor my ambition in the beginning.

As to driving out the minotines, I am hesitant to do so. According to reports I have received, they appear to have an innate collectivist mentality that drives them to act only for the 'greater good' of their people. If this could be harnessed and redirected towards the Imperium, they could become loyal and even fanatical supporters of the Imperium and useful to it much as the orcs in other provinces. I request permission to attempt to broker a temporary truce with them and the freedom to try to bring them in line with the Imperium's goals. If this is unsuccessful, we will certainly comply with your wishes and drive the invaders from the land; however, if successful, we could benefit immensely."

When the Qzare continues, Zanper crosses his arms and stares at the floor for a moment, slowly shaking his head almost imperceptibly, contemplating his response. Meeting the Qzare's gaze, the Chief Hierarch sets his face as a flint, his eyes as piercing steel, hints of neither fear nor trepidation are to be found anywhere. Holding the Qzare's gaze silently as if waiting for the other man to blink, he breaks the silence just before it becomes awkward, speaking in a carefully measured and even tone.

"My lord Qzare.

I can not agree to this. This final requirement is too much. You speak of the blessings given by the Silvery Lady as mere spectacle, insulting the faith I hold dear when I but followed the words given to me in faith and obedience. Moreover, you command me to make the people for whom I am responsible to suffer to prove my loyalty to you. This is unconscionable.

You demand food in tribute when you know full well that the lands I administer are agriculturally poor and must import food from elsewhere to support itself. Furthermore, we already provide Aus-Teire with our goods, in trade for the food that keeps my people alive. You words imply that agreement is nullified, robbing my people of their bread and demanding further concessions from them. If this is your intention and your requirement to determine my loyalty to you and the Imperium, I will comply with your wishes as Qzare, but you must give a direct and clear order. Say the words. Command me to prove my loyalty by making the people suffer, starve, and die. Do that, and my obedience is yours, but their suffering is yours."

Morph Bark
2014-05-09, 12:29 PM
Chief Hierarch Zanper Fidious is seated in the place indicated, though he sits rather stiffly with his hands in his lap.

"I am glad you approve of the document, especially considering I authored the majority of it myself, though your brother did help to refine a few parts of it. It was my, admittedly small, attempt to do what I could to help resolve the conflicts at home while our noble Qzare's attention was elsewhere. It would not do to have had you return to a crumbling empire.

I agree with these first two points. It is reasonable. I included the Senate in the original document to prevent it being rejected by the senate in your absence. Now that you have returned, I agree that the clauses regarding the Senate being removed is prudent. As to my title, whichever title you give me is meaningless to me, so long as I am permitted to remain a loyal servant of the people, the Imperium, and the Qzare."

As Qzare Wandao continues, Zanper begins to appear pained at the Qzare's words.

"My lord Qzare, how can you say you do not know of my faith when you and I follow the same belief of the Silvery Lady? That we have been maligned as a new religion is pure politicking coming from certain leaders of older institutions desperate to hold onto their power over the people. We are true to the faith and believe in a church restored to true obedience of the Silvery Lady apart from the base desires for secular control and power. Indeed, that you might see the truth of this, I have brought you carefully crafted copies of the holy texts."

The Chief Hierarch presents the three books he has brought with him to the Qzare to be read at his convenience: The Argent Scripturae (the traditional scriptures of the Hailings of the Siver Sea), The Book of Ascension: Another Testament of the Silvery Lady, and Hermeneutica: The Modern Theology of Spiritual Health.

"'When you read these things, ask the Silvery Lady, the First Ascendant, if these things are not true. If you ask with a sincere heart and true intent, having faith in her, she will manifest the truth unto you.'"

Continuing to the next point, the Chief Hierarch is obviously a bit uncomfortable.

"I do not. As I have said, I do not seek to rule anything. I was simply acting in the best interests of the Imperium. The peoples there are under the Imperium's protection. That they were not aided sooner and by those in better position to do so is somewhat disconcerting, but not unreasonable due to their own internal disharmony. They lacked the unity to defend themselves or to be truly useful to our great empire. We sought to defend them and assist them at forging themselves an organized government that conforms with the norms of the Imperium that they might remain one with us and useful to us and us to them. However, if it is the Qzare's wish that the Priory continue administration of this province after working to bring stability to the region, I will, of course, comply with your wishes and work to that end. Know only that this was neither my goal nor my ambition in the beginning.

As to driving out the minotines, I am hesitant to do so. According to reports I have received, they appear to have an innate collectivist mentality that drives them to act only for the 'greater good' of their people. If this could be harnessed and redirected towards the Imperium, they could become loyal and even fanatical supporters of the Imperium and useful to it much as the orcs in other provinces. I request permission to attempt to broker a temporary truce with them and the freedom to try to bring them in line with the Imperium's goals. If this is unsuccessful, we will certainly comply with your wishes and drive the invaders from the land; however, if successful, we could benefit immensely."

When the Qzare continues, Zanper crosses his arms and stares at the floor for a moment, slowly shaking his head almost imperceptibly, contemplating his response. Meeting the Qzare's gaze, the Chief Hierarch sets his face as a flint, his eyes as piercing steel, hints of neither fear nor trepidation are to be found anywhere. Holding the Qzare's gaze silently as if waiting for the other man to blink, he breaks the silence just before it becomes awkward, speaking in a carefully measured and even tone.

"My lord Qzare.

I can not agree to this. This final requirement is too much. You speak of the blessings given by the Silvery Lady as mere spectacle, insulting the faith I hold dear when I but followed the words given to me in faith and obedience. Moreover, you command me to make the people for whom I am responsible to suffer to prove my loyalty to you. This is unconscionable.

You demand food in tribute when you know full well that the lands I administer are agriculturally poor and must import food from elsewhere to support itself. Furthermore, we already provide Aus-Teire with our goods, in trade for the food that keeps my people alive. You words imply that agreement is nullified, robbing my people of their bread and demanding further concessions from them. If this is your intention and your requirement to determine my loyalty to you and the Imperium, I will comply with your wishes as Qzare, but you must give a direct and clear order. Say the words. Command me to prove my loyalty by making the people suffer, starve, and die. Do that, and my obedience is yours, but their suffering is yours."

"Chief Hierarch, please," Wandao said, his voice stern, but his posture gentle. "I do not intend to treat you and your people any less than other valued citizens of the Imperium. It is for that reason that we are discussing this, as I have or will with the other Provincial Lords. Our faith in the Silver Lady may be the same, but your practice is different from mine. I shall read these books of yours, but until I have and in the case I agree with everything in them, the only restriction I impose on you is the spreading of your faith in Imperial provinces directly administered by me and only spread it in vassal states who allow it and our protectorates of lesser status. Bor-Teire has recently been demoted to such, partly on account of spread of heathen beliefs in the northerners' Lord of Fire.

"The tribute you needn't worry about as much as you do. Salteire will not need to pay tribute in food, as we know there to be little, but if your other provinces have plenty, they can export it to both Salteire and Aus-Teire, ensuring that no people have to suffer famine as our barbarian neighbours do. Furthermore, I desire to decrease the tribute you pay from Salteire, as we no longer desire gold, especially when you can provide us with more essential things now that you've been allowed to lay claim to more regions."

Wandao filled himself another goblet and picked it up, as well as one for Zanper that he held before him. "In tribute, this will be beneficial to the both of us. In matters of faith, you are still more highly regarded than any of our other vassals, but beyond that I will give you the same treatment as those of the same station: as a great man. You've proven that you are, last night. For that reason, I trust you completely in resolving the matter of the minotines, no matter what challenge they might pose, militarily or diplomatically. Who knows? They might yet turn out to be a valuable new resource of soldiers for the Imperium."

Wandao smiled and raised his goblet, before taking another gulp.

(Just rounding things up. Shame the other parts couldn't be finished in time, but we'll resolve that otherwise.)