PDA

View Full Version : The Lichway Dungeon Crawl

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-28, 01:07 PM
Having received directions and a few rumours from the locals, you have discovered a passage at the back of a cave. You hope to find the lichway, a crypt of the sandlanders tribe which was attacked by lizardmen. However, the treasure is thought to still remain. The passage led you to another huge water-filled underground cavern into which a subterranean river gently flows. A wooden bridge crosses this river to an open door beside a 15' high tower leading to Korm Basin.
Your rumours are:
1. The wealth of the sandlanders tribe still lies undiscovered in their lichway somewhere on the tidal Korm Basin.
2. Dark Odo, a saturnine female wizard, and her henchmaen set off some months before in quest of thelichway and have never returned.
3. Only a few hours previously a band of four men, considered by the law-abiding locals to be of dubious character, set off in the same direction as Dark Odo.
4. Ferro the woodsman saw a band of marauding Green Star Svarts, a cross betwen goblins and kobolds with bright blue skin and orange eyes, pursuing a few panic-stricken kobolds toward the Korm Basin.

http://i61.tinypic.com/1r3tw4.png

The area on the map is what you can see at the moment. Each square represents 5 feet. The numbers relate to rooms or items of interest, the thing by number 2 is a sealed door, as is number 3. The arrows are stairs
Along the water's edge are three small fortified towers (15' high) between which are to docking bays and steps down into the water. The steps are litered with rubble and masonry which is covered for the 2' nearest the water level with wet green weed and slime and a few small barnacles and sea snails. In the eastern docking bay there is a rotting wooden barge within which is a skeleton. Where 2 is are double doors, arched and 20' high, covered in carvings depicting a border of intertwined skeletons framing a large flame. The doors have four thick metal bars across the front, the lowest of which is 3' above the ground, and shackled to the door are a dozen corroded padlocks, keeping the door from opening. The eastern gate where 3 is 20' high and seals the entrance, but is at the moment raised.
What do you do?

Snoiepix
2014-04-28, 02:53 PM
Nim marvels at the sight as the passage opens up before her. She completely forgets the monk she has learnt to know as Hari and the conversation they had ongoing as she wide eyed looks around the cavern. "Is this it? Korm Basin. She gently asks as to not disturb her surroundings.

esorscher
2014-04-28, 06:02 PM
Podig moves carefully over the corridor, searching the hallway for traps. "If someone gives me a boost I can try and unlock these padlocks."

Search (Take 20): 24

d20 Miscreant
2014-04-28, 07:55 PM
Orrik studies the area hand on his walking staff, eyes full of wonder. After his eyes rest on the skeleton he whispers a soft prayer, "Your mortal journey may be over, but may you tread with Fharlanghn in spirit." Podig's voice brings him back to the hear and now. "I'll lend you a hand." Orrik moves to help her.

esorscher
2014-04-28, 08:14 PM
"Excellent, thank you Orrik." With the cleric's help, Podig fiddles with the locks until they spring open. "These are so rusty, they may need to be smashed."

Take 20 on each lock: 28.

Yas392
2014-04-28, 10:01 PM
Hari opens up his senses to try and sense anything before aiding the rogue in opening the door. As will I. Whether they are open or not, he will use the shadow as his cloak to obscure his location thereafter.

Listen - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]

After aiding Podig...

Hide - [roll2]
Move Silently - [roll3]

Brenthion
2014-04-28, 11:38 PM
Brenthion reaches into his backpack. He takes a long pull on his gallon of ale before setting it back in it's place. With a belch, he draws his axe and shield and clutches them tightly. Prepared to take on anything on the other side of the door.

"Bring 'em on," Brenthion mutters. "Me axe has a thirst for blood worse than me own for ale."

Snoiepix
2014-04-29, 01:44 AM
As Brenthions belch echo's through the cavern she snaps out of her wonder and starts to carefully search the area.
Seach: [roll0]

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-29, 12:39 PM
Congratulations, you have just done what my real life players keep doing, you've broken my dungeon! I may not have made it clear but the published dungeon intends for the door to not be opened, but I will let you open it, it doesn't make too much of a difference anyway.

Podig
The padlocks are too rusted to break open, but as you try you notice a secret door underneath the lowest bar. When it opens, a lever is revealed.

Orrik
As you look at the skeleton, you notice a rusted metal chest sitting in the boat.

Nim
Your searching is of no avail, but Podig seems to have found a secret door, and Orrik has found a chest in the boat with the skeleton.

Hari
There is nothing to hide from as Podig finds a secret door revealing a lever. However you notice a chest in the boat with the skeleton.

Brenthion
With horror, you realise there is nothing to fight, as the door never opens! Podig does, however, manage to open a secret door hidden in the door. A quick glance at the lever and the stone behind, tells you that the stonework behind this door is newer than the surrounding stonework. Perhaps the door was bricked up after the lizardmen attacked? Or maybe it was bricked up more recently?

I won't update the map quite yet, as you haven't discovered a new room or an enemy.

Brenthion
2014-04-29, 04:03 PM
Indeed, it is with great horror that Brenthion finds there is nothing to fight. But his interest in precious metals, gems, and the stonemasonry required to build secret doors keep him occupied for the moment.

He places himself between the rest of the party and the secret door as best he can, axe and shield still clutched tightly. He is interested in the discovery of the chest and the secret door, but even more interested in a fight.

esorscher
2014-04-29, 11:09 PM
"Hey, there's a lever here," says Podig as she pulls the lever.

Yas392
2014-04-29, 11:57 PM
No! Hari overreacts with horror. Is it not too soon to be doing that?!

d20 Miscreant
2014-04-30, 10:04 AM
"There's a chest in the boat over there-" Orrik says as he points and moves towards the boat. Podig's words stop him in his tracks and he looks around, waiting for something to happen.

Dragonslayer495
2014-04-30, 10:36 AM
All
The lever is pulled… But nothing happens. The lever either does nothing, or activates something that has already been activated.

Snoiepix
2014-05-01, 12:23 AM
Nim, half struck by terror from Podig's bald move. Relieved once satisfied that nothing happend. As she draws her ceremonial dagger and thretenly pokes Podig she utters "Careful you." with a stern face, clearly not amused.

esorscher
2014-05-01, 07:35 AM
Podig just smiles broadly and walks over to the chest Orrik found. "Let me take a look at that." She inspects the chest and attempts to open it. If it is locked, she attempts to pick the lock.

Search (take 20): 24
Open Lock (take 20): 28

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-01, 01:23 PM
Podig
In the chest you find an ornate golden goblet, a small stoppered flask with what you think is alcohol in it, a stoppered blue gourd full of white sand, and a plain silver armband. There is a rusted shield and a rusted dagger beside the chest.

esorscher
2014-05-01, 01:27 PM
"Off to a good start. Can anyone tell if this lot is magical?" Podig says, displaying the loot to the party. She unstoppers the flask and wafts the scent emanating (if there is any) into her nose as a chemist would, attempting to discern its identity.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-01, 01:39 PM
Podig
The flask is full of an alcoholic spirit.

esorscher
2014-05-01, 01:49 PM
Podig takes the smallest sip from the flask. "Well, here's to it not being poison." Her cavalier attitude demonstrated with the lever continues with this potential threat.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-01, 02:42 PM
Podig
You don't die, it tastes just like alcohol.

esorscher
2014-05-01, 02:51 PM
Podig stoppers the flask once more. "Well, I'm pretty sure it's alcohol."

Brenthion
2014-05-01, 03:00 PM
Brenthion's ears perk up at the sound of booze and treasure, but refocuses his attention on the situation at hand.

"There has to be some kind of way into this place," he says half to himself. He conducts his own search, using his innate dwarven knowledge of stonemasonry to see if there are any hidden doors about or anything else unusual about the stonework.

[roll0]
(OOC: Lol, best roll I can ask for)

esorscher
2014-05-01, 03:25 PM
"What about that big open doorway? We should probably wedge something there just in case the gate drops down behind us?" Podig points at the "eastern gate where 3 is 20' high and seals the entrance, but is at the moment raised."

Brenthion
2014-05-01, 08:18 PM
"Well lets move onward then," Brenthion says, spitting on the cold floor and readying his axe and shield. He approaches the double doors and decides it better for the burglar to search the door before opening it.

He waits for the halfling to conduct his search of the door, though standing close in the event of an ambush. He takes one long pull on his ale before placing it back in his backpack, taking a combatative stance.

esorscher
2014-05-01, 08:20 PM
While Podig searches, she suggests, "Hey, maybe we can stick that boat in between the gate and the floor, just in case? I'm not strong enough, but..." her voice trails off, leaving the suggestion hanging in the air.

(Take 20--24 on Search)

Brenthion
2014-05-01, 08:33 PM
Brenthion takes initiative and either drags and places the boat upside down and horizontally to provide a few feet to crawl under, or vertically to provide running space.

Meanwhile, he keeps his axe and shield close.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-02, 01:24 AM
Brenthion
While searching you find a secret door in the back of the bricked up gate. It opens into a long, narrow passageway. You decide to wedge the gate open with the boat anyway, and decide it would be more secure if you placed it so that you would be able to crawl under the gap.

Podig
You notice that Brenthion has found a secret door.

d20 Miscreant
2014-05-02, 09:55 AM
" I'll take a look at those items." Orrick casts detect magic. If any of the items in question are magical, he will concentrate for three rounds to determine as much as he can about the aura(s).

Spellcraft: [roll0]

He continues to concentrate and scans the whole room as best he can.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-02, 10:23 AM
Orrik
Sorry, the items aren't magical. (just following the book)

d20 Miscreant
2014-05-02, 12:55 PM
"I don't sense any magic in these items. I am fond of the color of this gourd, though." Orrik further inspects the gourd and sand while wandering over to join the dwarf and the halfling.

esorscher
2014-05-02, 04:40 PM
"We can divvy everything up later," Podig says, handing the loot off to one of the stronger members of the party to carry. "In the mean time, lets see where this secret hallway takes us." She leads the party into the secret hallway, moving slowly and searching as she goes. (Taking 20, 24)

Snoiepix
2014-05-03, 01:08 AM
Nim slightly amused by Podigs reaction to her threats as they don't seem to phase her the slightest.

As the party wanders round, opening chests, lifting boats and trying to poison themselves Nim simply spends her time observing them. She knows an understanding of them will help them all in a tight spot.

As the party decides to enter the secret way they found she follows quite far back as to be protected by the more resilient members. And leaving space enough for more experienced trap finders to do there work.

Yas392
2014-05-03, 01:53 AM
As the gourd is pass along, Hari uncorks and sniffs it to try to appraise it. Probably lower quality but nevertheless average in the Tavern. He helps the other members get into the secret door, slipping in last. On the other side, he hold on to the flask for the time being, clasped safely in his backpack until the time of dividing which he would decline as he abstains himself when he trained as a monk. Like before, he uses the shadows, keeping slight distance from the rogue but this time take a little time to accustom himself to it, so that he could pounce on the first enemy if needed. He also act as a second ears and eyes if needed.

Hide (Take 20) - 24
Move Silently (Take 20) - 24
Listen (Take 10) - 14
Spot (Take 10) - 14

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-03, 06:04 AM
All
You advance forward, turning a corner and reaching a secret door, you slide it open and find a surprised looking guard sitting on a bed, with a rope linked to a bell hanging by him. [Let combat begin!]

http://i61.tinypic.com/1r3tw4.png
I'll add your characters after the first round of combat. The guard is in the north-east corner.

d20 Miscreant
2014-05-03, 09:06 AM
Orrick grips his quarterstaff, ready for battle.

[roll0]

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-03, 09:30 AM
Initiative order is:
Nim (19)
Brenthion (18)
Hari (15)
Podig (6)
Orrik (5)

esorscher
2014-05-03, 10:36 AM
Podig moves to within point-blank range and fires an arrow from her shortbow at the guard. "Make sure he doesn't ring that bell!"

[roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]SA
(-2 if the guard is in melee combat, -Sneak Attack if it doesn't apply)

Snoiepix
2014-05-04, 01:14 AM
Despite seemingly reacting first Nim can't other than stand in line to get to the guard as pushing though the others seems unwise, instead of charging forward she readies her staff, scouts the room for open doors and gets out of the way for Hari.

Yas392
2014-05-04, 01:49 AM
Hari instinctly leaps from the shadow, the speed of a cheetah. Charging to the guard after Brenthion engages him, he applies what his master would call the smothering chokehold. Like a wild predator surviving in the wilderness, his focus on his enemy allows him insight to the enemy's next blow should the enemy's attention falls on him.

Charging +2, -2 AC
Dodge on guard so +1 to Dodge AC
Melee Touch to grapple - [roll0]
Oppose Grapple Check - [roll1]

Brenthion
2014-05-04, 08:23 PM
Brenthion rushes the guard on the bed, fiercely attacking his foe before he can raise the alarm!

Brenthion takes a single move action and is hopefully able to reach his opponent and attacks with axe and shield.

Attack (Axe): [roll0]
Attack (Spiked Shield): [roll1]
Damage (Axe): [roll2]
Damage (Spiked Shield): [roll3]

Just thought it might be a good time to mention the rules for being prone as well

d20 Miscreant
2014-05-05, 09:44 AM
Not as light on his feet as the others, Orrik moves to engage. Realizing he might hit Hari with his quarterstaff as the monk tries to grapple with the guard, Orrik instead tries to position himself between the guard and the rope, making a grab for the bell (to dull any sound) if the guard reaches for the rope.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-05, 01:54 PM
Nim
You move to the back of the passageway as Hari rushes past you.
Brenthion
Your axe swing misses but you strike him hard with your shield, he flinches from the blow, but it doesn't draw as much blood as you would have hoped.
Hari
You charge at the guard and wrestle with him. You manage to get him in a grapple.
Podig
You fire an arrow at the guard, and it strikes with precision in a vital spot. He cries out in pain and blood gushes from the wound. He's not dead though.
Orrik
You grasp the bell to keep it from ringing and you see all hope drain from the guard's face.

Brenthion
2014-05-05, 03:43 PM
"Hold him still, Hari!" Brenthion shouts with a grin at the look of despair on the guard's face. He raises his axe and seeks to deal the killing blow.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Yas392
2014-05-05, 05:20 PM
Hari still tightening his hold the guard's neck, swivel the body away from the bell to Brenthion's axe, leaving it open for him to deal a lethal blow. If the guard is still alive, he will finish the job by applying more pressure until the body is limp.

Opposed Grapple - [roll0]
Unarmed Damage - [roll1]

(OOC: Should be +6 so the result is 22 but whatever)

esorscher
2014-05-05, 06:26 PM
Seeing the enemy exposed, Podig fires another arrow from her bow.

Attack: [roll0] (+1 point blank, -4 shooting into melee)
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (SA due to grapple)
Confirm Crit: [roll3], [roll4]

Snoiepix
2014-05-06, 03:30 PM
Nim, worries there rather loud fighting and shouting will alert other guards. She moves quickly to reposition herself close to the western most door to listen and take a quick peak to see what is waiting behind the door.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-07, 10:43 AM
All
Brenthion's axe severed the guard's wart-covered head from his body. By his bed lies a two-handed sword propped against the wall and his belt contains a keyring bearing 5 keys, a pouch with 17 sp in it, a sword and a large, empty sack. An earthenware jug by the bed contains a small amount of wine, most of it has been drunk.
Nim
You manage to see what looks vaguely like a jail through the western door.

d20 Miscreant
2014-05-07, 01:18 PM
Orrik slowly and quietly let's go of the bell, slowly approaches near the eastern door, and listens carefully.

Listen: [roll0]

esorscher
2014-05-07, 04:09 PM
"I wonder what these keys go to," Podig says, picking them up. As resident door-opener, it seems only fitting, but if someone else wants the responsibility, she will gladly relinquish the keyring.

Brenthion
2014-05-07, 04:32 PM
Brenthion immediately goes for the wine, taking a sip and spitting it out with disgust. "Pffft! Foul stuff," he says, procuring his dwindling gallon of ale and taking a pull.

"Ah, much better," he says, wiping a dribble going down his beard with his sleeve. "What of this sword? Perhaps it's of some value." He examines it carefully, using his inherent dwarven knowledge of stone and metal items.

Appraise Check: [roll0]

Yas392
2014-05-07, 06:36 PM
Drinking and eating is all that they did?! Hari feels contempt towards their sleazy attitude and how they came across wine for the second time. Why I oughta give em a piece of my mind! He cracks his knuckles, disappearing into the shadows with the large sack, in anticipation to sack the next guard off his oxygen.

Hide (Take 20) - 20+4=24
Move Silently (Take 20) - 20+4=24
Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-08, 02:47 PM
Orrik
You listen in at the eastern door and hear the sloshing of water.

Podig
As you open the western door you see a series of cells which appear to match the keys on your keyring. One contains a young woman with torn clothes, and another contains a disconsolate looking man dressed in rags.

Brenthion
The sword is a perfectly normal longsword, as is the two-handed sword.

Hari
No guard appears for you to attack.

All
Sorry, I forgot about this. From the start you have been hearing a strange droning sound, almost like a song, it stopped when you entered the secret passageway.

esorscher
2014-05-08, 02:52 PM
Podig wants into the prison. "Why are you in these cells?" she asks the prisoners, spinning the keyring around her finger.

d20 Miscreant
2014-05-08, 04:30 PM
Orrik wanders over to the other door with the others. "I heard what sounded like sloshing water near the other door," and after a short pause, "Does anyone else find it strange that we're not hearing that sound anymore?" Orrik turns to the prisoners, awaiting their response to Podig's question.

Brenthion
2014-05-08, 04:46 PM
Brenthion keeps up with the party moving towards the jail cells and positions himself on the front line - between everyone else and any trouble.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-09, 02:58 PM
Podig
The woman answers your question, "We were exploring in the wilds, when we were captured by two men, we haven't seen anyone else here. Thank you for rescuing us!"

Brenthion
The old man watches you gripping your axe, but there are no immediate enemies for you to fight.

esorscher
2014-05-09, 03:02 PM
"We haven't rescued you yet," Podig says, smiling. She attempts to tell if the woman is lying. Sense Motive: [roll0] "Why were you exploring, and what skills do you have to help us, if we do let you out?"

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-09, 03:18 PM
Podig
The woman says, "We were searching for this very place, going on directions from the villagers, when we were set upon by the two men, and captured. I am a magic user."
"And I am a cleric, if you don't mind me interrupting. I think you can tell we have plenty of skills should you care to set us free." Interrupts the man. You don't think either of them are lying.

esorscher
2014-05-09, 03:50 PM
Podig's smile widens. "Sounds good to me. I'll let you out, if you promise to help us." Assuming they do, Podig unlocks their cells.

Yas392
2014-05-09, 04:53 PM
In the shadows, the monk locks eyes with them, looking into their soul for any semblance of mislead.

Sense Motive - [roll0]

Snoiepix
2014-05-10, 02:35 AM
Nim wonders if this really is such a great idea. But thinks better of it and utters "Welcome to our party, I'm Nim.". As she speaks she bows slightly as it is custom when introducing yourself where she is from. "Can you fight? We just found an additional sword no one is using.". She nudges Brenthion to hand it over to the most capable.

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-10, 03:24 AM
Podig
The prisoners agree to help you, and you let them free. "We came in through a secret entrance by the flame door." Says the old man, "We don't know anything else about this place though."

d20 Miscreant
2014-05-10, 08:07 AM
Orrik pulls out a loaf of bread from his pack, breaks it in half, and offers one half to the prisoners. He also offers up his waterskin for them to drink from. "Orrik Kelson, cleric of Fharlanghn. What are your names?"

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-11, 10:55 AM
Hari
The prisoners seem perfectly honest to you.

Nim
"Sorry", says the man, "I've never really been accustomed to using swords, and Pinella here is a magic-user and you know how little magic users know how to swing a sword. We're not to bad physically though, and I can heal you a little if need be, though Pinella used up all her spells when we were captured. I'm Paxon by the way."

Orrik
The man accepts the offer and splits the bread between him and the woman.

d20 Miscreant
2014-05-14, 09:38 AM
Orrik faces Pinella and Paxon, " You said that two men captured you, did you overhear anything while in your cell?"

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-15, 01:32 AM
Orrik
Paxon says, "No, sorry, we didn't hear anything. They rarely talked, most of the time it was a solitary guard on duty."

All
There is a door to the south of the cells, from which loud bestial noises are coming.

esorscher
2014-05-15, 07:13 AM
Podig searches the door (take 20) before saying, "From the sound of things there's probably a beast in there, Brenthion, I think you better go in first."

Dragonslayer495
2014-05-15, 02:28 PM
Podig
You find no traps on the door.

d20 Miscreant
2014-05-20, 09:20 AM
Orrik looks towards Brenthion. Smiles and says,"Podig, perhaps if you tossed his ale in there, he'd charge in."