PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Power of the Incantatrix

Pinkcrusade
2014-04-28, 02:34 PM
Hello, Playground.

I was reading through the "Mailman" optimized build, and I saw that most of the damage derived from higher levels (which the group is not). I would like to play an optimized blaster, and I was torn between Sorcerer and Psion (I know how Psions work, so that removes the majority of player's reluctance for trying psionic classes). It seems that Sorcerers only become viable blasters via metamagic feats, and that Psions are capable of delivering devastating attacks without the use of metamagic. So, Playground, I was wondering which you would recommend for an optimized blaster. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Rebel7284
2014-04-28, 03:09 PM
If you want a class that does OK with blasting out of the box, the Psion is better.

Sorcerer can get a lot more powerful by the mid levels though, especially if flaws are allowed

Old Kobold
Sorcerer 6/Incantatrix 3

Feats:
Flaw: Draconic Reservoir
Flaw: Dragonwraught
1. Empower Spell
3. Twin Spell
6. Easy Metamagic[Twin Spell]
9. Arcane Thesis [Scorching Ray]

TeslaJr
2014-04-29, 01:42 PM
The Incantatrix is better if you're working with another caster or you focus on buffing/persistent spell effects. IMO, the Metaphysical Spellshaper PrC from Book of Erotic Fantasy is better for a MM blaster. It's 3 levels that gives -1 on all MM and the ability to temporarily burn ability points to mitigate the adjusted spell level. If you throw in a level of Binder and bind Naberious(SP?) it gets even better. Something like Binder 1/Sorcerer x/Metaphysical Spellshaper 3/_ x would make a great blaster build.

ArqArturo
2014-04-29, 01:46 PM
I would say the Warmage is good (and only good at) dealing damage, and that class usually gets trashed because that's the only thing it does; but, I see that as a plus because the class can enter to a PrC guilt-free in any level whenever it is allowed.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-04-29, 01:58 PM
As mentioned, the Incantatrix has a lot more going for it than blasting. The Mailman barely even uses the best features. Basically he'll use Metamagic Effect to load his eye rays (Ocular Spell), and that's it. A real Incantatrix takes persistent spell. Maybe he does a little less damage with his crazy attacks, but now he's invisible, flying, greater blinking, polymorphed, and seven other things all day. Makes life for a blaster much easier, really. He can also stack Persistent Fell Drain Cloud of Knives for a different type of mail delivery.

At mid levels or higher, psions are only going to be competitive blasters if you abuse the action economy and have a power point recharge trick (because you'll run out of PP every fight). I'm not sure what your table is cool with. Sorcerers just do so much more per shot because they can so easily reduce metamagic costs, and they don't run out of steam because their attacks scale with CL freely.

Another way to make a competitive psionic blaster is to do something akin to the Explosive Runes trick, but with slightly different rules ambiguities. Take Glyph of Warding, psionic. Load many glyphs with many Swarm of Crystals or your area blast spell of choice. I chose Swarm of Crystals because it's no save, no PR slashing damage. Find a way to unambiguously be able to open or break several containers with one motion (i.e. pull a string, it opens a nested set of boxes). Summon a level 1 astral construct, give him the container filled with glyphs, move him over to the enemy, and have him open it up near the enemy (just make sure it's facing the right way).

zingbobco000
2014-05-02, 05:47 PM
Incantrix, incantrix, incantrix. Incantrix allows persisting virtually any spell that should be persisted. Anima Mage as well does the same. I like incantrix more though.

Vaz
2014-05-02, 08:41 PM
Anima Mage only does it 3 time though.

Incantatrix is stupidly powerful. Incantatrix 3 lets you apply any metamagic you know to an ongoing effect for a Spellcraft check which soon becomes pointlessly easy. Apply reach spell and then persist, sorted. Incantatrix 10 gives you -1 (it's not explicitly clear if it's all metamagics, or a flat -1, but as we're showcasing power, lets apply it to all applied feats).

However, that's not blasting.

Have you considered Ardent, with Dominant Mantle, and choosing Burrowing Power? Unique fun applications that can honestly do so much more than other characters, due to its wierd multiclassing potential, and Dominant Mantle?

Vedhin
2014-05-02, 09:10 PM
If you want a class that does OK with blasting out of the box, the Psion is better.

Sorcerer can get a lot more powerful by the mid levels though, especially if flaws are allowed

Old Kobold
Sorcerer 6/Incantatrix 3

Feats:
Flaw: Draconic Reservoir
Flaw: Dragonwraught
1. Empower Spell
3. Twin Spell
6. Easy Metamagic[Twin Spell]
9. Arcane Thesis [Scorching Ray]

This guy is right about Sorcerer/Psion, though I see a very disturbing lack of Reserves of Strength in this build. It's in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, and lets you get around the level caps for spells (so fireball can potentially do more than 10d6). It's seriously excellent for blasters.

As the Mailman is basically the gold standard for metamagic blasting, here's some advice for those not inclined towards such things:

If you want constant damage, Sorcerer can also go the Snowcasting route, getting +2 caster level and +2 damage/die.

The Stormcaster PrC is nice for 5 levels, which gets you +1 sonic damage/die on spells that deal electricity damage, as well as a chance to stun with those spells. It loses a spellcaster level, but gains +2 caster level for air, electricity, sonic, and water spells.

3rd party has the War Mage PrC from Dragonlance: Age of Mortals. Over 5 levels, you get +3 damage/die, your Cha to AC for 3 allies (possibly including yourself), -10% ASF, and a couple free metamagic feats from a short list. The only downside is that the prereqs are a pain.