PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Tarrasque as a PC

Xaroth
2014-04-28, 06:21 PM
Greetings all, I'm creating a Tarrasque as a PC, and would like your help on working down to the skeleton of the Tarrasque.

What I'm trying to aim for at the end of this is an easy guide to Tarrasques as PCs, similar to the Ogre Mage's guide:

Ogre mage characters possess the following racial traits.

+10 Strength, +6 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.
Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
An ogre mage’s base land speed is 40 feet. It also has a fly speed of 40 feet (good).
Darkvision: Ogre mages can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: An ogre mage begins with five levels of giant, which provide 5d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +1, and Will +1.
Racial Skills: An ogre mage’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 8 × (2 + Int modifier [minimum 1]). Its class skills are Concentration, Listen, Spellcraft, and Spot.
Racial Feats: An ogre mage’s giant levels give it two feats.
+5 natural armor bonus.
Special Attacks (see above): Spell-like abilities.
Special Qualities (see above): Regeneration 5, spell resistance 19.
Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Goblin, Infernal, Orc.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.
Level adjustment +7.

If this has been done before, could I get a link? If not, help would be appreciated.

Immabozo
2014-04-28, 06:41 PM
This belongs in the homebrew section. But your LA will be worse than for a giant - much worse. I, personally, both as a player and as a DM, encourage you not to.

Also, the Tarrasque is a unique creature. Just like Highlander, there can only be one

CyberThread
2014-04-28, 07:02 PM
Tarr asque or not tarr asque. That is the question.

JeminiZero
2014-04-28, 07:18 PM
You could make an ikea tarrasque: that is a humanoid PC abusing troll blooded, energy immunities and either voidmind, bone knight or pale master for immunities, to be nearly unkillable.

But as for homebrew, there is the Oslecamo version (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2604.0).

Immabozo
2014-04-28, 07:38 PM
So lets compare the best playable giant in the MM, a fire giant at CR 10, to the Tarrasque.

----- -
-----RHD
-----size
-----NA
-----Speed
-----str
-----dex
-----con
-----int
-----wis
-----cha
-----special qualities

-----Fire Giant
-----large
-----Immune to fire, rock catching, LLV vulnerable to cold

-----Tarrasque
-----Colossal
-----Carapace (30% chance all spells will rebound upon caster, before SR is checked), DR 15/epic, Immune to fire, poison, disease, energy drain and ability damage, regenerate 40, scent and SR 32

the fire giant has a 4 LA and 15 RHD to take. You are taking your first class level once the campaign hits level 20.

I guess after an 8 LA, you could break it down to 1 SR most every level, escalating DR and 1 regenerate per level. But 8 LA is never worth it.

Play a psion, get level 9 powers, manifest true mind switch on the tarrasque. Then, LA and RHD are 0

icefractal
2014-04-28, 07:44 PM
Actually, the Tarrasque has so many RHD, LA should probably be +0. And even then, it's going to be extremely underpowered. Tarrasque vs 48th level Wizard? No contest. But even Tarrasque vs 48th level semi-optimized martial character is a likely loss for big-T.

Jergmo
2014-04-28, 07:52 PM
There's an even simpler way of making an Ikea Tarrasque, I think.

Half Green Dragon/Half Red Dragon/Troll. 6 RHD, +11 adjust.

Str +28, Dex +4, Con +16, Int +0, Wis -2, Cha +0, plus all the other benefits of half-dragon (two breath weapons!) and troll. You also fly as a large-sized creature.

It isn't as fancy as the Emerald Legion, but it's simple to make.

It loses to energy/level drain, but there are ways around that.

Immabozo
2014-04-28, 07:53 PM
Actually, the Tarrasque has so many RHD, LA should probably be +0. And even then, it's going to be extremely underpowered. Tarrasque vs 48th level Wizard? No contest. But even Tarrasque vs 48th level semi-optimized martial character is a likely loss for big-T.

The T is only around CR 20 or so?

Also, the whole miracle to stay dead thing is stupid broken on a PC

toapat
2014-04-28, 07:55 PM

his relative LA should be about -34, because IIRC his average takedown level is 14. maybe there should be an adjustment upto ECL of 17 but realistically LA should equate to the CR equivalent of when 4 Of unmodified makes an encounter (Actual CR as according to VorpalTribble's formula)

Also: here is the actual Homebrew you are looking for (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9148817&postcount=1307)

boxfox
2014-04-28, 10:06 PM
Try this thread. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9557.0)
Scroll down to the second post marked "index"...it's what the fella above me posted, but all of the builds that he did for dozens of creatures.