PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm falling in love with Peter Frampton

Scorpina
2007-02-10, 09:14 AM
...in the musical sense, of course. I'm not one for falling in love with artists in other ways. It's silly. In any case, I've recently come into possesion of 'Frampton Comes Alive!' and his Greatest Hits and I can't stop listening to them. Particularly 'Do You Feel Like We Do' and 'Show Me the Way'.

It's odd, since it's not really the kind of music I usually listen to, but I enjoy it a freakish amount. I wonder if it's possible for music to be addictive. If so it should probably come with some manner of government health warning.

*is listening to 'Frampton Comes Alive!' as she types...*

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-10, 10:05 AM
Never heard of him.

Erloas
2007-02-10, 10:47 AM
I hear that fairly regularly on the radio, its good but its not my favorite classic rock.

Most modern music (at least that is any sort of main stream) isn't bad for "having on" or background/party sort of music, but its not really anything to actually "listen" to.

Personally I can't stand much of anything that I've heard made by new (relatively speaking) bands, though I have stopped even trying since it wasn't worth the trouble of listening to all the horrible stuff in hoping to find something worth listening to.
I think the whole MP3 thing actually shows this to an extent. That even bands that people like a lot there usually isn't more then a couple songs an album that they actually like, the ones that fill the CD that don't get any air-time are not worth getting. However a lot of the classic rock bands, at least in my opinion, their whole album is worth listening to and some of the best songs are songs that don't get a lot of airtime because of length. Or because of the paradox of them "not being well known" which is because they aren't played on-air, so they aren't known because they aren't played and aren't played because they aren't known. (Yeah, I emailed a local DJ about playing a great song that doesn't make it on the air much if at all, it was almost fittingly one of the most popular and crowd intensive songs at their concerts though)

Of course I know I am unusual about music. Almost everything I listen to is older then I am, and most of what isn't was still made by people that were making music before I was born. Most of that is the mid to late 60s and 70s.

FdL
2007-02-10, 11:23 AM
Really? To think of how much better music you can find out there... Well, if you enjoy it, go for it. But it's kind of lame music IMHO...

Amotis
2007-02-10, 04:20 PM
Whhha? I'm confused about people hating entire genre's. Now an entire time period? Whaa?!?!

I can get not liking classic rock, they were all kinda stuck on the same level, but new music? I mean, it's the "in thing" to be different nowadays, and sure that leads to a lot (a lot) of crap, but that also leads to a few bands who are different and creative.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-10, 04:56 PM
Whhha? I'm confused about people hating entire genre's. Now an entire time period? Whaa?!?!

Personally I have something against the Mesozoic.

I generally don't like new music but that's really only because I only have my parent's music to listen to or the few Folk CDs I've bothered buying.

There are plenty of really bad old bands; they just have the advantage of nobody remembering them.

Amotis
2007-02-10, 05:22 PM
So you don't like new music because you don't listen to it?

FdL
2007-02-10, 07:41 PM
Yeah, Erloas, that's kind of a sad/weird comment. It's as bad as the opposite, which is younger people saying than anything old is bad. Me, I enjoy music from some of the latest new bands to some really old stuff from the 30's, 40's. Just not Peter Frampton for example :p

Maybe it was the time when you listened to a lot of music (that was new at the time) and you got attached to it, because you lived it and you understand it. But music is always the same. There's bound to be good and bad stuff no matter which decade you're looking at. And with the latest bands, although there's a lot of overly commercial, shallow music, there's also a flipside to that with really creative artists. Even some who as a response to the mainstream crave older styles and influences that were considered cheesy in their time (70's and all).

Xerillum
2007-02-10, 08:58 PM
Meh. Frampton's all right...

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-10, 09:04 PM
Three questions:

Are you a teenager?
Did you just move into the suburbs?
Is it the late 1970s?

A "no" answer to any of these questions three will result in a Contingency'ed troutsmack going off on you.

And, yes, I am being a smartass. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Scorpina
2007-02-10, 09:06 PM
Um... I could argue that it's the very, very, very late 70s...

And I am definately a teenager... and I intend to cling to it for the eight months or so I have left...

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-10, 09:15 PM
One out of three ain't good. :smallbiggrin:

Scorpina
2007-02-10, 09:16 PM
...I don't have to justify myself!

*runs*

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-10, 09:21 PM
No love for Mr. Loaf...

musicnerd
2007-02-11, 05:34 PM
His guitar talks! This makes me smile. So, I agree with you Scorpina :smallsmile:

Erloas
2007-02-12, 09:54 AM
Well I believe there is probably some decent new music out there, but its so far and few between that its almost not worth trying. Sure there were a lot of bad music out of the 60s and 70s, but its had 30 years of filtering now so the bad stuff has been filtered out. There are a number of good bands from the 80s too, but a lot of not very good stuff still mixed in with the 80s stuff.

There are a lot of people that claim to really like some random new band and it usually ends up that they only like maybe 3-4 songs out of the 30-40 they have made, and 10% good vs 90% bad is not even close to passing for me.

I was probably 19-21 before I actually found music I liked much of. I had spent all the time before that listening to what was popular, and assumable good, for 10 years before that and not finding much of anything worth listening to. I still end up listening to a number of radio stations at work and various stores and other places that range from country to hard rock to pop and everything else, and its rare to even find a song playing on any of them that I can listen to for any length of time at all. There is a lot of it that will literally give me a headache after listening to only half a song (not a bad headache, but noticable) depending on how much it is in the foreground, rather then background, of whats going on. There are places in the mall I would never even go into because of the music playing.

I spent the majority of my youth wondering why anyone bothered to listen to music at all since it was so hard to find anything decent. The stations around where I grew up would play a hand full of decent songs but they were burried in a bunch of bad, to the point that I never even listened to the radio. TV was even worse, and that was around/just before MTV stopped playing music. It wasn't until I moved to a big city that had enough people to allow the radio stations to focus more before I managed to find anything worth listening to regularly.

Amotis
2007-02-12, 11:24 AM
There is indeed a lot of good modern music out there. Perhaps, like you said, hard to find, but not trying is not helping.

Perhaps we need to start listing bands for you to get into. I mean, you still seem like you haven't found anything good. And that's a shame. It's not a question of nothing out there. And certainly not 10% good vs 90% bad.

Jack Squat
2007-02-12, 11:27 AM
does modern mean still on tour, still releasing albums, or created within the last 10 or so years? 'cause the Allman Brother's are still touring

Amotis
2007-02-12, 11:30 AM
Modern, I've taken it to mean, is that they've been made around 1990 or later.

Allman Brothers? Beh...my favorite member is dead anyway...

Jack Squat
2007-02-12, 01:40 PM
I figured that's what you were talking about, but I've had people give me the other definitions before.

On that note, I don't think I really listen to any modern artists, the closest thing being either Creed, Matchbox 20, or Johnny Lang. I should proabably update my library.

Erloas
2007-02-12, 01:41 PM
There is indeed a lot of good modern music out there. Perhaps, like you said, hard to find, but not trying is not helping.

Perhaps we need to start listing bands for you to get into. I mean, you still seem like you haven't found anything good. And that's a shame. It's not a question of nothing out there. And certainly not 10% good vs 90% bad.

I was just about to start a thread on that very thing.

And what I mean by new is that the band (and all its members) are new to music. There are some newer CDs I've bought, some just released even, but they are all by artists that have been making music for 30 years already. I'm also not counting bands that are technically new but actually just a new name and a few new people joining the remaining members of an older band.

FdL
2007-02-12, 09:51 PM
On that note, I don't think I really listen to any modern artists, the closest thing being either Creed, Matchbox 20, or Johnny Lang. I should proabably update my library.

Sorry, but for the names you mention (except for Lang, I guess) you probably need to dump your library and start from scratch :p Seriously. I mean, come on.