PDA

View Full Version : Best Star Wars game ever.

Everto
2007-02-10, 09:16 AM
What do you think is the best Star Wars game?
Personally, I think LEGO Star Wars 2: The Original Trilogy
is the best Star Wars game ever, which isn't saying much because I've only played five Star Wars games: LEGO Star Wars 1&2, Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Starfighter.

The best thing about LSW 2 is the amount of playable characters and gameplay, building and breaking lego stuff and then moving it with the force. The Easter eggs are real good too.

Soniku
2007-02-10, 09:38 AM
Knights of the old republic, 1 or 2 depending if you like one jaw dropping plot twist or a lot of smaller ones. Any star wars fan who liked baldurs gate or neverwinter nights will love these :smallbiggrin:

Om
2007-02-10, 09:50 AM
Buy it Now:
*TIE Fighter
*KotOR II
*KotOR I
*Dark Forces
*X-Wing

Waste of Money:
*Rebel Assault
*Supremacy
*Jedi Knight II

sun_tzu
2007-02-10, 01:06 PM
I haven't played them all, but, among those I played:
*Tie Fighter was awesome.
*X-Wing was great (though obviously the team had improved by the time they got around to making Tie Fighter).
*X-Wing vs Tie Fighter was a huge dissapointment.
*Rebellion was a waste of money.

Om
2007-02-10, 01:45 PM
Hmmm I think I'll update my list with a "waste of money" category.

Krytha
2007-02-10, 01:54 PM
I liked Rebellion and its concept but I think LA faltered on execution. It couldve been SO GOOD!

rabish12
2007-02-10, 02:00 PM
The original Jedi Knight takes the cake for me. It's got a very fast pace, a good (and suitably cheesy) narrative complete with live-action cutscenes, and is just loads of fun all-around. The other two slowed it down and made the lightsaber combat far too complex, but the first one really hit the right spot, directly between being too "actiony" and too complex.

I think Battlefront 2 would take second for me, if only because it really feels like being in the movies.

Knights of the old republic, 1 or 2 depending if you like one jaw dropping plot twist or a lot of smaller ones. Any star wars fan who liked baldurs gate or neverwinter nights will love these :smallbiggrin:
I didn't. I think it was mainly because the big plot twist was really obvious from the start (BioWare kind of sucks at foreshadowing), and because it felt really limited compared to the BG games in terms of what you could do. Oh, and I hated the good/evil system, mainly because it didn't seem to matter for absolutely anything except equipment. At the end, they ended up letting you choose whether you wanted to be good or evil explicitly, regardless of your alignment up until that point.

Lord Magtok
2007-02-10, 02:50 PM
My only problem with SWB 2 is that once you get frenzy to legendary, you can't die unless you really go out of your way to kill yourself. The game becomes too easy. I really need to get a thingy to go online. :smallfrown:

TheThan
2007-02-10, 02:53 PM
Buy it Now:
*TIE Fighter
*KotOR II
*KotOR I
*Dark Forces
*X-Wing

Waste of Money:
*Rebel Assault
*Supremacy
*Jedi Knight II

You beat me to it man, :smallcool:

Woot Spitum
2007-02-11, 03:39 PM
The original Jedi Knight. I have played through it so many times, yet I still manage to enjoy it even now, 10 years later. I also like Outcast and Shadows of the Empire.

Dragor
2007-02-11, 04:17 PM
KOTOR 1 for RPG, and Rogue Squadron as flight sim. (The N64 Version, I haven't tried the Gamecube version.)

Logic
2007-02-12, 07:22 AM
Rouge Rogue Leader is passable, but Rouge Rogue Squadron 3 was pretty terrible.

EDIT: Oops. My fingers slipped.

Sneak
2007-02-12, 07:35 AM
Yeah, one of those rouges is enough. You don't need a whole SQAUDRON of rouge!

Anyway, back on topic. I haven't played that many Star Wars games. Personally, I didn't care for Lego Star Wars 2 that much (never played the first one), but that might've just been because I have it for PSP instead of PS2. I never really got to play KotoR either (I wanted to...someone gave me a copy, but it was buggy as hell). Maybe the demo of a Jedi Outcast game or something.

So really, the only Star Wars game I've played that I really like is SWBF2.

Jibar
2007-02-12, 07:38 AM
My only problem with SWB 2 is that once you get frenzy to legendary, you can't die unless you really go out of your way to kill yourself. The game becomes too easy. I really need to get a thingy to go online. :smallfrown:

As a Legendary Frenzyier.
No.
No, you really can.
Sure, you can get all the posts but one, but that last one becomes impossible to claim.
*Has bad memories of trying to conquer Hoth with full reinforcements*

WampaX
2007-02-12, 02:47 PM
Tie Fighter
or
X-Wing

probably Tie Fighter, if forced to choose. Far too much fun flying around in those two-hit death traps :smallbiggrin:

Amotis
2007-02-12, 03:35 PM
*Jumps on Tie Fighter/X-Wing bandwagon*

Seriously, first video game I ever played, rocked my world. Awesome awesome games. I need an emulator or something now cause I miss 'em.

Exachix
2007-02-12, 03:51 PM
I could never get Tie Fighter to work, but I would say:

1. Rogue Squadron 3D (for PC).
2. Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy.
3. KOTOR II (PC)
4. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
5. Battlefront II
6. Empire at War
7. Battlefront
8. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
9. Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith.

Are all good.

X-wing, were both too hard for me to play really.
Lego Star wars Two I can't get to work =(.

However, Galactic Battlegrounds was not so good =)

Jerthanis
2007-02-12, 04:05 PM
I felt like Tie-Fighter really lost steam after you stopped fighting rebels and pirates and started fighting secessionist after secessionist. (although taking out a minefield in an unshielded tie interceptor was completely awesome) That and you missed the Battle of Endor, I was really hoping that'd be the climax of the game.

My pick for best SW game ever would be a game that doesn't exist... a finished Kotor2. I know it's a bit less popular for being unpolished and incomplete in a lot of ways, and portraying a darker and more subtle storyline than the bright lights and great heroics/terrible villainy storyline of the first Kotor, but I felt like it had potential to not only be the best Star Wars game, but potentially even the best computer RPG ever made.

However, because the game never got and will never have the polish and completeness that it deserves, it loses points and Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast gets my vote. The storyline was interesting enough to hold together an action game, the characters were interesting to see moving around the stage, and the lightsaber combat was fun as heck, and when you got good at the game, you could do some pretty amazing stuff. The original Dark Forces was also awesome, but I felt that Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight was too hard, it had really confused levels that were difficult to navigate, difficult jumping puzzles, and the blaster type weapons were better than the lightsaber in most cases. It's storyline was awesome, and it reminds me why there should be live-action cutscenes in more videogames...

Artanis
2007-02-12, 04:28 PM
Ok, when you guys talk about the "original Jedi Knight", are you referring to the second game in the series or the first? Because AFAIK the series went:
1-Dark Forces
2-Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
3-Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Academy

Exachix
2007-02-12, 04:57 PM
Plus Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (Expansion to DFII:JK) is also in there (before Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, then Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy)

Neo
2007-02-12, 05:25 PM
Yeah, its hard to choose when it comes to great star wars games. But for the amount of time i've played it i'm going for Jedi Academy, purely for the light sabre multiplayer. I got to a point where i'd drop all my points from light sabre attack/defence(for servers that allowed it), which left your character unarmed vs light sabre wielders.

Nothing upsets people more than having their dual wielding Jedi being pummeled by an unarmed Jawa.

Muz
2007-02-12, 06:21 PM
The best thing about LSW 2 is the amount of playable characters and gameplay, building and breaking lego stuff and then moving it with the force. The Easter eggs are real good too.

I picked up LSW2 on a whim (and moment of weakness) a little bit ago. It's okay, here's a little warning: All this talk I read in reviews and general talk about building LEGO stuff and moving it around with the force and such, and no one ever mentioned the teeeeeensy little fact that you don't actually control what you're building or where you're moving stuff, you just push a button and it puts things together for you. Why even bother having that bit in the game?

(And false advertising, too- The cutscene in the ads when Luke gets his hand cut off? Not actually in the game. At least, not that I've seen.)

Oh, and my vote goes for TF, and KOTOR1 and the first 2/3rds of KOTOR2. :smallsmile:

tgva8889
2007-02-13, 12:09 AM
Most of the Rogue Squadron series is very fun to play: Flying through the space battles is one of the best halves of playing a Star Wars game!

The other half is the Lightsaber duels, which I have yet to find a good game for. KOTOR is fun, but it's so unrealistic and if you don't use lightsabers, you lose, which is really annoying in a game.

Wiione
2007-02-13, 12:43 AM
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, it's one of the best games ever.

Tom_Violence
2007-02-13, 10:02 AM
The KotORs all the way!

sun_tzu
2007-02-13, 10:33 AM
I liked Rebellion and its concept but I think LA faltered on execution. It couldve been SO GOOD!
I know!

Huh. I had forgotten about Rebel Assault and Rogue Squadron. I kinda liked the former, primitive as it may have been. The latter was okay, but nothing special...

polaris1110
2007-02-14, 06:46 PM
I liked Rogue Leader as well as Rogue Squadron.

The Super Star Wars games for the Super Nintendo were really fun also.

Did anyone else like Shadow of the Empire for the Nintendo 64?

Shikton
2007-02-14, 06:50 PM
Knights of the Old Republic. Not played a godawful lot of the SW games, but this is the best one of the ones I have played. Good story, good character development, loved the battles...just an all around great game.

LoopyZebra
2007-02-14, 08:35 PM
The KotOR franchise wins for non-flying; the old X-Wing for flying.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-14, 10:30 PM

Yes, I did. Rented it way too many times before finally buying it. I wish my 64 still worked so I could play it again.:smallfrown:

FruitOfTheShroom
2007-02-15, 10:39 PM
Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. By FAR.

Rhothaerill
2007-02-16, 01:14 AM
I've only played Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 of all the recent Star Wars games (do the old Atari 2600 games in the mid '80's count? :smallsmile:) I enjoyed both of them, though I was a little annoyed by the way #2 ended. Up to the ending it had a lot more depth of character building than #1. Unfortunately the ending kind of hurt it and put it back down below #1.

Funny thing about both of these games though...my favorite parts of both are before you can get your lightsaber. I think that's because after that the combat becomes too easy. :smallfrown: Hopefully in the third one (assuming they make a third one) they'll finish it off for one thing, and make the combat progressively more difficult (or add harder difficulty levels, etc.) rather than progressively easier as the game goes on.

Om
2007-02-16, 05:20 AM
I enjoyed both of them, though I was a little annoyed by the way #2 ended. Up to the ending it had a lot more depth of character building than #1. Unfortunately the ending kind of hurt it and put it back down below #1.Blame LucasArts for forcing the release of an unfinished game. As it is KotOR simply has no ending. Thankfully there is a project (http://www.team-gizka.org/) underway to complete the game and restore the ending + additional features that were left out due to time constraints. I'm very much looking forward to the results.

Dragor
2007-02-16, 07:03 AM

Shadow of the Empire? That game has been gathering dust in the back of my pile o' games for a while. Didn't like it that much, just thought it was pretty weak.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-16, 11:43 AM
I've only played Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 of all the recent Star Wars games (do the old Atari 2600 games in the mid '80's count? :smallsmile:) I enjoyed both of them, though I was a little annoyed by the way #2 ended. Up to the ending it had a lot more depth of character building than #1. Unfortunately the ending kind of hurt it and put it back down below #1.

Funny thing about both of these games though...my favorite parts of both are before you can get your lightsaber. I think that's because after that the combat becomes too easy. :smallfrown: Hopefully in the third one (assuming they make a third one) they'll finish it off for one thing, and make the combat progressively more difficult (or add harder difficulty levels, etc.) rather than progressively easier as the game goes on.

I've always felt that the weak endings in the Kotor games took away a lot from some otherwise very good games. I certainly hope they finally finish them. The last part of Kotor II was just plain bizarre (We must strip you of your force powers because people want to follow you, which is potentially abusable and could cause bad things later, even though you are the only jedi left who has accomplished anything lately and the Sith have a superweapon, you are the greatest threat to the galaxy). Ever heard of leadership people? I didn't think so.

LurkerInPlayground
2007-02-16, 02:53 PM
Aside from being an incomplete game (rumors abound of Lucas Arts rushing the release), I far prefer KOTOR2 to KOTOR1. Why?

Because Kreia is a badass antagonist is why. She proves that it doesn't goth/emo ensemble or any cool double-sided, dual-wielding saberflashing to make a truly interesting villain. Her dialog is chock-full of the philosophical goodness that made Planescape Torment a good game. She's neither merely a fundamentalist Sith or a sanctimonious Jedi, which is refreshing. The other characters are also far more interesting than KOTOR1's group.

In any case, there's a modding group that's restoring some of the lost endings and content into the game from the files they found hidden in the game disc: http://www.team-gizka.org/

A video of some restored content...*drool*
http://www.team-gizka.org/2007-02-14.html
It's funny how they don't know how to even approach Kreia since she's has such a fearsome reputation as a learned Force sage and master manipulator.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-16, 03:03 PM
I'm actually partial to Rebel Assault 2 on PS1, as well as the PS1 Star Wars: The Phantom Menace game. The former was pretty cool and was really the last great "on rails" shooter I've played, and the latter was surprisingly open-ended and fun to play as well.

I've not played KotOR or KotOR2, though my roommate has an Xbox. I just haven't gotten around to picking either of them up yet.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-16, 05:02 PM
I'm actually partial to Rebel Assault 2 on PS1, as well as the PS1 Star Wars: The Phantom Menace game. The former was pretty cool and was really the last great "on rails" shooter I've played, and the latter was surprisingly open-ended and fun to play as well.

I've not played KotOR or KotOR2, though my roommate has an Xbox. I just haven't gotten around to picking either of them up yet.

I forgot about The Phantom Menace. Not a critically aclaimed game, but then the reviewers probably never found the "shoot the endless hordes of increasingly powerful jawas with a laser turret" secret in Mos Espa. There are just so many things you are allowed to do in that game that you couldn't do in other games, so much unintentional humor. Good Stuff.

I also forgot about Jedi Power Battles. Am I the only one who enjoyed that game on the PS1?

Vix
2007-02-16, 10:57 PM
I could never get into the KotoR games but my friends played them to death around me.
Battlefront 2 didn't do it for me, 4-player is nice but if you don't increase the enemies the rounds only last for half a minute:smallyuk:
But I loved Battlefront
I get ridiculed a lot for my LegoSW 2 addiction (but I've beaten it now so that's done) It really is for children
I have a game for XBox called ObiWan that liked. if you like LSW for all the searching for hidden things in short levels than you'd probably like it
I don't think I've played any other SW games. hmmm...

Exachix
2007-02-18, 03:33 PM
Lego Star Wars Two, now I have it working, is absolutly amazing. You can sit there and shoot NPCs in the hub place thing forever.

Jerthanis
2007-02-19, 12:51 PM
I've always felt that the weak endings in the Kotor games took away a lot from some otherwise very good games. I certainly hope they finally finish them. The last part of Kotor II was just plain bizarre (We must strip you of your force powers because people want to follow you, which is potentially abusable and could cause bad things later, even though you are the only jedi left who has accomplished anything lately and the Sith have a superweapon, you are the greatest threat to the galaxy). Ever heard of leadership people? I didn't think so.

Actually, they didn't strip the Exile of his powers, the Exile stripped himself of the force in order to survive. At Malachor 5 Bao Dur's Mass Shadow Generator split the planet, killing all the Mandalorians and Jedi on the surface, the feeling of so many jedi dying at once by his own hand threatened to kill the Exile, so he severed his own force connection without noticing.

Also, the Exile WAS the greatest threat to the universe that Star Wars has ever known, or more specifically, Kreia succeeding at manipulating the exile into fulfilling her goals was the greatest threat. In the Exile, the Jedi Council saw a yawning chasm of emptiness, a wound in the force that they felt could mean the end of the Force as they know it. Afraid, they banished him to the far reaches of space. When he came back, stronger than ever, and apparently charismatic enough to draw many others to his way of thinking, they thought that his wound would spread to others, and by spreading, eventually cause the death of the force. And since the force and living beings are one and the same, it would mean wiping the entire galaxy clean of life.

Kreia wanted that because she was sick of being manipulated by the force, and people made to suffer for some idiotic concept of balance between imaginary "light" and "dark"

In any case, yes, the ending was unfinished, but mainly that they never explained what was up with your partymembers, and why Mara was there, but no one else, and Kreia told you what each partymember does after the game ends, but you never get conclusion on romantic subplots (or at least I never did) There was never a reason why G0T0 didn't stop Bao Dur's remote from activating the mass shadow generator again, there wasn't even a clear reason why Malachor 5 had to be completely destroyed like that.

Logic
2007-02-19, 01:35 PM
Because Kreia is a badass antagonist is why. She proves that it doesn't goth/emo ensemble or any cool double-sided, dual-wielding saberflashing to make a truly interesting villain. Her dialog is chock-full of the philosophical goodness that made Planescape Torment a good game. She's neither merely a fundamentalist Sith or a sanctimonious Jedi, which is refreshing. The other characters are also far more interesting than KOTOR1's group.
I found Kreia to be the exception. To me, she was the old crone, and had no redeeming or interesting qualities to her character. If I had the oppurtunity to tell her to leave, shut up or kill her at any point, I would have taken it.
Oh, wait...
However, I do agree that the other characters of KotoR 2 to be more interesting than the bunch from KotoR 1. With the following exceptions: The aforementioned Kreia, and Jolee Bindo.
The story to KotoR 1 (as it was realeased) is better than that of KotoR 2, but the characters in 2 make the game have a much higher replay value than it's predecessor.

StevieWonderMk2
2007-02-19, 03:45 PM
KotOR 2 only really fell apart at the last half hour or so, apart from the fact that the battle with Nihilus was pathetically easy.

What it missed out (or i missed anyway) was what the Mass Shadow Generator ACTUALLY WAS, i only heard about it when Bao Dur asked me to turn it on. Likewise, it didnt explicitelly say that this green chunky planet was Malachor. But most importantly, WHY did you have to fight Kreia? Couldnt you just waltz off and tell her to get stuffed?

Also, am i the only one that managed to NOT figure out these things in advance? I didn't see KotOR 1s twist until partway through the montage, and i was actually quite suprised at Kreia's betrayal, mostly because...there was nobody to betray. She wanteds to use the Exile for her own ends, which she said from the begining, so having her become the villian just seemed....wrong.

Timberwolf
2007-02-19, 03:49 PM
X wing Alliance was good, so was Rogue Squadron, all KoTOR, and I like Empire at War.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-19, 04:00 PM
How hopelessly screwed would you be at the end of Kotor II if you didn't put any skill points into persuade?

One more point on Kotor II. Revan. Or the lack thereof. I felt the game did a very clumsy job of explaining that. Even at the end, when you finally find out what happened to some the characters from the previous game, you get no idea about where they were and what they were doing when jedi council got practically annihilated. Or how they reacted to it.

Deleran
2007-02-19, 04:13 PM
So there's a two page thread about the best Star Wars games and Republic Commando doesn't even get mentioned? FOR SHAME!

Justinian
2007-02-19, 04:27 PM
Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader (Gamecube) and KotOR (X-Box, PC) = win and awesome.

Their sequels, on the other hand Rogue Squadron 3, KotOR 2 = lose and suck.

There is still hope for KotOR 2, though, once Team Gizka gets done with it.

MaxAtkins
2007-02-19, 05:04 PM
I tried Jedi Academy, which I enjoyed, but it didn't hook me for some reason.
KOTOR2 didn't work, which I was rather bummed about.
I've played many more star wars game, forgot most of them... Don't have an actual 1 that springs to mind as awesome or the best though.

rabish12
2007-02-19, 06:06 PM
rumors abound of Lucas Arts rushing the release
They actually aren't rumors anymore. Even if the fact that the game came out within 13 months wasn't enough, there are files from the incomplete/cut content right on the disc that essentially prove the game was rushed.

So there's a two page thread about the best Star Wars games and Republic Commando doesn't even get mentioned? FOR SHAME!

Eh, Republic Commando was okay. I didn't get too far in it (my Xbox is screwy so some games don't work quite right on it, and RC was one of them), but from what I saw it was just a basic squad-based run-and-gun based in the Star Wars universe.