PDA

View Full Version : Highlander II problem I just noticed...

Cikomyr
2014-04-28, 09:25 PM
Why do they say it's "500 years in the past"?!

I mean... the original Highlander clearly showed that Ramirez was an ancient egyptian who travelled the earth at least 3,000 years. They got sufficient information from the 1st movie to make up bullcrap for the 2nd. Why they didn't picked up on that?

Why not "5,000 years in the past" instead?!

veti
2014-04-28, 11:52 PM
Seriously? The movie is universally recognised as one of the worst sequels of all time, and that's your biggest problem with it?

I mean - sure, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but then the entire thing has a plot that would shame a Scooby Doo scriptwriter.

turkishproverb
2014-04-29, 02:27 AM
Why do they say it's "500 years in the past"?!

I mean... the original Highlander clearly showed that Ramirez was an ancient egyptian who travelled the earth at least 3,000 years. They got sufficient information from the 1st movie to make up bullcrap for the 2nd. Why they didn't picked up on that?

Why not "5,000 years in the past" instead?!

And you have ht eversion they tried to fix. look up "Zeist" some time.

factotum
2014-04-29, 02:39 AM
I think the main problem I see here is that you actually watched that thing... :smallwink:

Cikomyr
2014-04-29, 09:37 AM
And you have ht eversion they tried to fix. look up "Zeist" some time.

Nonono, it's "500 hundred years ago, on Zeist"

Part of the problem, actually.

tensai_oni
2014-04-29, 09:43 AM
Obviously Zeistians have the ability to travel BACK IN TIME.

LaZodiac
2014-04-29, 10:14 AM
This is not even the fifth most wrong thing with this movie :smallbiggrin:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-29, 10:47 AM
This is not even the fifth most wrong thing with this movie :smallbiggrin:
Fifth most wrong thing? But I thought there could be only one?

:smalltongue:

The Troubadour
2014-04-29, 10:53 AM
...It exists? :-P
To be fair, that applies to all Highlander movies other than the first (and only! :-P).

Kyberwulf
2014-04-29, 11:21 AM
I always just assumed that when they put people on earth. It was a more random time they get sent to.

tomandtish
2014-04-29, 11:58 AM
Maybe it is 500 years ago Zeist time? And their years equal 6 of ours?

Yeah, I'm sure the writers thought that one out.

"Oh yes, I just remembered I'm a space alien....."

Rawhide
2014-04-29, 11:59 AM
Highlander II: The movie so bad, even its sequels wipe it out of canon and pretend it doesn't exist.

Philistine
2014-04-29, 12:13 PM
That's not entirely unheard-of in genre films. (*coughStarTrekFivecoughcough*)

Rawhide
2014-04-29, 12:21 PM
That's not entirely unheard-of in genre films. (*coughStarTrekFivecoughcough*)

Star Trek V might never be referenced again, but it's not explicitly wiped out of existence by the sequels. Highlander III went so far as to reinforce that everything you learnt from Highlander II was a lie.

Talakeal
2014-04-29, 12:37 PM
Hold on a second, they finally got around to making a sequel to Highlander? Wow, that's awesome, as good as that movie was I can't wait to see it!

Hopeless
2014-04-29, 12:39 PM
I remember watching it and the only movie franchise that had worse problems was the supposed Matrix sequels (which many refuse to exist) and of course Star Wars Prequels which many wish didn't exist...

I think they're rebooting that movie.. well the first one at least not sure they should just remake the second one instead as that would have greater chance of actually not being awful...

Cikomyr
2014-04-29, 01:06 PM
Star Trek V might never be referenced again, but it's not explicitly wiped out of existence by the sequels. Highlander III went so far as to reinforce that everything you learnt from Highlander II was a lie.

Actually, TNG flat-out had an episode about going to the centre of the Galaxy, which de-canonize Star Trek V

Tyrant
2014-04-29, 01:08 PM
It's been a while since I watched it, but how did Highlander III do that? Highlander II was set at some point in the future so Highlander III could still happen and then Highlander II. Highlander IV on the other hand removes Connor from the picture and embraces the show continuity which spells out that there are numerous immortals left and those are problems for Highlander II, barring the same type of shenanigans that saw Ramirez return. Then there was The Source, an all new look at an awful future for the Highlander franchise. That seams to be a trend now that I think about it. The animated series had some type of post apocalyptic wasteland thing going didn't it? And the anime movie was in some type of dystopian future too if I remember right. Maybe this is like Marvel where all possible futures are pretty terrible.

Metahuman1
2014-04-29, 03:15 PM
Look, Highlander 2 had 3 scenes that mattered. Rameriez coming back and being perplexed by Hamlet talking to the skull to the amusement of the audience. Rameriez getting a new suit, Connor and Rameriez breaking into the base by getting shot up, and then sitting up the morgue to correct the guy assuring the girl that they had booth been shot 100 times and couldn't be alive, not on the couldn't be alive part, but on the number of times they were each shot respectively. That was less then fifteen minutes of footage in a two hour and some change movie that was worth having.

Cikomyr
2014-04-29, 03:29 PM
Look, Highlander 2 had 3 scenes that mattered. Rameriez coming back and being perplexed by Hamlet talking to the skull to the amusement of the audience. Rameriez getting a new suit, Connor and Rameriez breaking into the base by getting shot up, and then sitting up the morgue to correct the guy assuring the girl that they had booth been shot 100 times and couldn't be alive, not on the couldn't be alive part, but on the number of times they were each shot respectively. That was less then fifteen minutes of footage in a two hour and some change movie that was worth having.

No. These scenes did not "mattered". They were entertaining, and that's the best you could say about them. They did not yielded important information into the characters involved, nor did it actually impacted the storyline or the universe.

Metahuman1
2014-04-29, 04:04 PM
No. These scenes did not "mattered". They were entertaining, and that's the best you could say about them. They did not yielded important information into the characters involved, nor did it actually impacted the storyline or the universe.

The movie's intention was to be entertaining. If the scenes were entertaining, they mattered for accomplishing that goal. The fact that these were basically the only scenes that were entertaining mean they were the only one's that mattered.

Rawhide
2014-04-29, 08:49 PM
Actually, TNG flat-out had an episode about going to the centre of the Galaxy, which de-canonize Star Trek V

I've seen both, I don't see how it did that.

It's been a while since I watched it, but how did Highlander III do that? Highlander II was set at some point in the future so Highlander III could still happen and then Highlander II. Highlander IV on the other hand removes Connor from the picture and embraces the show continuity which spells out that there are numerous immortals left and those are problems for Highlander II, barring the same type of shenanigans that saw Ramirez return. Then there was The Source, an all new look at an awful future for the Highlander franchise. That seams to be a trend now that I think about it. The animated series had some type of post apocalyptic wasteland thing going didn't it? And the anime movie was in some type of dystopian future too if I remember right. Maybe this is like Marvel where all possible futures are pretty terrible.

Highlander: We are immortals born on this planet, and we don't know how we became them.
Highlander II: loljk, we came from a different planet and knew all along.
Highlander III: We are back to being immortals who were born on this planet, and we don't know how we became them again.

Cikomyr
2014-04-29, 08:57 PM
I've seen both, I don't see how it did that..

1- The centre of the galaxy is not a few hours away at maximum warp on a broken ship. It takes months, if not years to reach it.
2- The centre of the galaxy is not blocked by a Great Barrier
3- The centre of the galaxy does not contain Shakar'ee, but instead the head-peoples.

I am willing to concede that maybe the "devil/god" in Star Trek V may be a renegade head-people put in a prison by his own specie, and that Cybok just received a special "get to me" flash/superpower like Barcley did, which explains his super therapeutic powers.

TheThan
2014-04-29, 09:07 PM
Seriously? The movie is universally recognised as one of the worst sequels of all time, and that's your biggest problem with it?

I mean - sure, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but then the entire thing has a plot that would shame a Scooby Doo scriptwriter.

totally agree with this sentiment here.

factotum
2014-04-30, 01:48 AM
1- The centre of the galaxy is not a few hours away at maximum warp on a broken ship. It takes months, if not years to reach it.

It's years. It's 33,000 light years from here to the galactic centre, and Voyager/DS9 were both pretty consistent in saying it would take the fastest starships around 70 years to cover 70,000 light years, so at similar speeds we'd be talking at least 20 years to get to the edge of the galactic core.

Talakeal
2014-04-30, 02:03 AM
It's years. It's 33,000 light years from here to the galactic centre, and Voyager/DS9 were both pretty consistent in saying it would take the fastest starships around 70 years to cover 70,000 light years, so at similar speeds we'd be talking at least 20 years to get to the edge of the galactic core.

Do keep in mind that the creators of Star Trek have said many times that ships in ST travel at the speed of plot. Even in the same series they can't keep things consistent, like the time it takes to get from DS9 to Earth.

Rawhide
2014-04-30, 02:10 AM
Do keep in mind that the creators of Star Trek have said many times that ships in ST travel at the speed of plot. Even in the same series they can't keep things consistent, like the time it takes to get from DS9 to Earth.

No, that was Babylon 5.

---

Everything in that horrible movie can be explained, and nothing specifically undoes it. The speed of travel needs some handwavium, but that's nothing new to do with travel speeds where they can't keep it consistent from episode to episode, let alone between generations.

P.S. I wonder what ever happened to the barrier surrounding the edge of the galaxy... :smallwink:

hamishspence
2014-04-30, 06:45 AM

If Spock had killed that beastie with the guns of the Klingon Bird of Prey - maybe the Great Barrier, which was implied to be the prison cell for the creature, dissolved, since it was no longer needed?

The Enterprise-A Technical Guide had an explanation for the speedy trip - it was one of the few ships, besides the Excelsior, fitted with experimental transwarp. Still doesn't explain the Klingon ship getting there too - unless the transwarp effectively creates its own "conduit" like the Borg ones, that the other ship can also enter.

The Trek galactic map book, shows Sha Ka Ree on the very edge of the barrier, which surrounds the entire galactic bulge - which means it's about 5000 or so light years nearer to Earth than the exact center of the galaxy is.

MLai
2014-05-01, 04:42 AM
Wow... I never realized that Nth Degree episode was specifically scripted to semi-explain the events of ST movie #5. So Space Not-God is a Head Peoples alien using his society's pre-existing "Come To Me" technology! :smalleek: