PDA

View Full Version : Could Redcloak's ritual be accomplished with UMD?

Lombard
2014-04-28, 09:43 PM
Stir, stir, stir the pot...

Hi I propose a theoretical epic rogue with ridiculously high UMD.

Couldn't such a rogue potentially use one or both halves of Redcloak's ritual scroll?

zimmerwald1915
2014-04-28, 09:52 PM
Right-Eye was a rogue and never held himself out as a candidate.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-28, 09:56 PM
Given that Redcloak has been pretty specific in his need for a caster, probably not. If a Rogue could do it, Redcloak would probably have already looked for one, since they seen to be easier to find than magic users. I think more than just using a scroll may be required, since the ritual apparently takes several weeks to prepare.

Lombard
2014-04-29, 12:58 AM
Well I believe Zimmerwald's example leaves some room for the UMD scenario because I don't believe the character in question was of nearly high enough level to have the presumably huge UMD score required. Jaxzan's example assumes that Redcloak would know much about the UMD mechanic.. it seems to not be utilized much in Stickworld so I'm not convinced that Redcloak would.

ChristianSt
2014-04-29, 01:36 AM
Jaxzan's example assumes that Redcloak would know much about the UMD mechanic.. it seems to not be utilized much in Stickworld so I'm not convinced that Redcloak would.

Assuming Redcloak doesn't know some obscure rule stuff that is usable for/related to the plan doesn't seem like a good bet.

He has shown that he knows about some obscure stuff. Redcloak is probably the character with the best rules knowledge.

Jasdoif
2014-04-29, 01:47 AM
In order for UMD to even be an option, the ritual scroll need to be a magic item. (You can't use UMD to cast from a typical spellbook, for example, since it doesn't contain magic itself.) Since Redcloak isn't an arcane caster, I'm pretty sure the scroll he wrote the arcane half of the ritual on isn't a magic item.

factotum
2014-04-29, 02:54 AM
I agree with Jasdoif--just because the ritual is written down doesn't make what it's written on a magic item that can be used with UMD; otherwise all a Rogue would have to do to blow someone up is write "Explosive Runes" on a piece of paper and use UMD on it. :smallbiggrin:

Now, whether it would be *possible* for a sufficiently high-level arcane caster to inscribe the ritual on a scroll and then get a Rogue to cast it is another matter, but you still need the high-level arcane caster to start with!

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-29, 05:53 AM
Jaxzan's example assumes that Redcloak would know much about the UMD mechanic.. it seems to not be utilized much in Stickworld so I'm not convinced that Redcloak would.

Redcloak is the one who likes reading through the rulebooks to determine if psionics is being used in the OOTS world and use rulebooks to create various kinds of Undead. He seems to have a large knowledge of how various mechanics work, and I think he would know about UMD or
As Zimmerwald pointed out, Right-Eye would know about it and Redcloak should know from that.

Lombard
2014-04-29, 10:00 AM
So a) Redcloak would know the rule and b) the ritual isn't actually a magic item type of scroll.

Well, so much for that idea lol.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-29, 04:53 PM
Well, so much for that idea lol.

Don't feel so bad. It was an original idea, and one that I hadn't considered before. It's always fun to speculate! :smallsmile: