PDA

View Full Version : Hellbred Paladin - Mounted and On-Foot Combatant - 3.5 - Build Help!

Sedall
2014-04-28, 09:47 PM
So, I've been on a very odd character building kick recently. Mostly just trying to do things I've never done before in odd combinations, not necessarily for the best CharOP I could. But I find myself a bit stumped when I work on this build.

It began when I saw the Ranger Knight PrC in Dragon 317. At level 1, it gets a Special Mount as if it were a paladin of level 6, stacking with the paladin levels (Paladin 5 + Ranger Knight 1 = ECL 11 mount) So, I thought some mount shenanigans might be fun, but I also wanted a character who would be viable off of a mount because I felt like playing a Hellbred, or at least trying one out.

The gist of the build was going into Ranger Knight ASAP, followed by Beastmaster 1 and Wild Plains Outrider 3 with Devoted Tracker and Natural Bond. But that leaves me needing 7 feats before level 10, and still nothing for the last ten levels of the build. Thank goodness for flaws, eh?

So, my current thought is Paladin 4, Fighter 1, Beastmaster 1, Ranger Knight 1, Wild Plains Outrider 3, with the following feat progression:
1- Track, Skill Focus(Handle Animal), Mounted Combat
3- Trample
5- Two-Weapon Fighting
6- Devoted Tracker
9- Natural Bond (BM)

That takes me to level 10, with a mount as Special Mount 10(Pal4+RKBonus6/Animal Companion 10 (BM1+BMBonus3+WPO3+NatBond3)

The problem is filling out the last few levels. I've never done a straight melee build before that wasn't a gish. I'm not very familiar with ToB things, but I figure a crusader dip and finishing with RKV could do it. That'd give me an initiator level 15, if I've read correctly. I don't know how feat-dependent ToB classes are though. So with only three feats left, does anyone have any other suggestions? Ranger Knight is probably hurting me more than helping with the huge feat requirements, but that's a nice power boost to the mount, so it opens options for better things to ride on much earlier.

Flaws are allowed, aiming for a level 20 build. I'd like to stick with the Hellbred race, though LA buyoff is allowed for templates (Flavor preferred though. Nothing like Feral or Mineral Warriors.) Additionally, I've used the draconic template a lot in the past, so I'm trying to stay away from it and anything related to dragons. Mount wise, I suppose that leads me more towards things like Griffons for their pounce.

I could just be trying to do too much though. I've faith in you, Playground!

Edit: A word

Ellowryn
2014-04-28, 10:05 PM
3.5 Paladins get handed a mount, and its not even permanent! Its either a heavy Warhorse or Pony and you call it once per day for 2 hours per paladin level, so with your build you could call it one for 8 hours. Granted there are a few feats that allow you to switch out the mount, or to change its type, but otherwise your stuck with the horse. Just check with your Dm if you can use the 3.0 version of the pally mount otherwise i doubt that all this is worth it.

This all being said, what EXACTLY do you want to do? Melee is kinda a broad category, there's lockdown, charger, beefcake, mounted melee, etc. Give us an idea about where you want to go and we can work with that!

Edit: read entire post first, then try and act smart! :smalltongue:

Sedall
2014-04-28, 10:34 PM
Hahaha, I see the edit now, so I don't have to point things out.

Honestly, I have no idea for melee; hence the ToB ideas. My concept was really just a guy swinging a holy avenger, then pulling out an unholy weapon as a surprise while being a badass on a mount.
Alternate Paladin mounts are acceptable, and I'm looking at a griffon with the level 8 option in the DMG. I don't know if specializing in mounted combat is worth it though, so I just wanted to pump the mount a bit and then think of something after that. At least I'm at 10 BAB, so that's a fun starting spot.

I'm building more towards flavor on this one, but while still being effective. I'm required to take TWF because of the Ranger Knight, so I suppose a Two-bladed sword that's holy and unholy could be flavorful. The ToB stuff advances my limited paladin spellcasting by a bit. I could try to get into more mounted classes, but I'm just...stumped, lol. A big saddle and a sword was essentially where I started. So I'm very open to suggestions. Let's go with mounted melee as the focus, but I'd like to not be completely useless if I get out of the saddle.

I am curious though, do effects that add to "Special Mount" increase the summoned time of the mount? Alternatively. with Devoted Tracker, it'd be around all the time anyway, right?

Ellowryn
2014-04-28, 10:51 PM
Doesn't look like it does, all i see is increases the capabilities of the mount. Hence why i talked about 3.0 pally. You would think that any class that advance the mount would mention increasing the summoning duration, and they may have intended it to, but without actually stating it you don't get it. More bad writing from DnD.

For mounted combat, and outside of mounted, grab Power Attack, Ride-By attack, and Spirited Charge. RNV isn't horrible, but there isn't much mounted support in ToB, plus you have to worship Wee Jas. :smallfrown: Your build is to say the least, convoluted, so your just going to have to make due with being less than stellar with anything you do.

Sedall
2014-04-29, 12:55 AM
Haha! Fair enough. I've just been making characters for the past two weeks of really strange builds. But you replied and shared some thoughts, so thank you for that.