PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage/Jade Phoenix

ZhanStrider
2014-04-28, 10:34 PM
Hey playgrounders!

next week I start a new campaign. I've already designed most of the character, I just wanted your guys' take on my first level of Swordsage and and my progression. I'm doing Sorcerer/Swordsage JPM, sorc for the extra spells to use for Arcane Wrath.

So my first SS level I'm planning on taking Improved Unarmed Strike, and Weapon Finesse as my two feats (human). Manuever wise, I'm going with Moment of Perfect Mind, Burning Blade, Mighty Throw, Shadow Blade Technique, Wolf Fang Strike, and Wind Stride.

The plan is to focus mostly on Desert Wind, and dabble in Shadow Hand and Devoted Spirit. Level Progression currently SS1/Sorc 3/JPM 6/SS 1/JPM 4/SS 3/Sorc 2. I feel like that gives me a good amount of skills at the beginning, and gets me to where I want to be at damage output pretty quickly, without giving up too much close combat ability.
I can't mix and match any other classes, sadly, but any feedback you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Adverb
2014-04-29, 12:09 AM
Well, for starters, you need to take Sorc4/SS1/[anything 1] before you can start JPM.

Second, I would probably not load up too hard on Desert Wind when I had access to Fireball, though it is the SS/JPM overlap school, so I dunno.

You going to take Ascetic Mage for Cha to AC?

Make sure to take Emerald Razor. A "spell slots are for arcane wrath" gets better mileage out of it than just about anyone.

ZhanStrider
2014-04-29, 12:32 AM
Well, for starters, you need to take Sorc4/SS1/[anything 1] before you can start JPM.

Second, I would probably not load up too hard on Desert Wind when I had access to Fireball, though it is the SS/JPM overlap school, so I dunno.

You going to take Ascetic Mage for Cha to AC?

Make sure to take Emerald Razor. A "spell slots are for arcane wrath" gets better mileage out of it than just about anyone.

Oh ****, I totally neglected to account for skill rank maximum.

John Longarrow
2014-04-29, 08:41 AM
I gather you are doing the improved Unarmed Strike -> Superior Unarmed Strike route. Are you also going TWF? If so, Shadow Hand on a dex-centric build (along with weapon finesse) works well, as does going with the matching discipline focus at 1st for Sword Sage. Gotta love getting a free +1 to hit with unarmed strikes when in the matching stance...

ZhanStrider
2014-05-07, 06:09 PM
I gather you are doing the improved Unarmed Strike -> Superior Unarmed Strike route. Are you also going TWF? If so, Shadow Hand on a dex-centric build (along with weapon finesse) works well, as does going with the matching discipline focus at 1st for Sword Sage. Gotta love getting a free +1 to hit with unarmed strikes when in the matching stance...

I'm still "undecided" on superior unarmed. It looks good, but as a JPM I'm aiming for a little battlefield control, so I was thinking Improved Counterspell maybe? Swordsage and spellcasters are mostly field control, with moderate damage, so I don't know how well trying to just max out my damage output will work.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-08, 12:31 AM
Now, seeing as you are playing a Sorc, I recommend Versatile Spellcaster, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, and then Rapid Metamagic.
Versatile + Heighten will allow you to enter JPM with only one level of sorc casting, if that's what you want.
After you have achieved 10 levels of sorc casting, when your back is against the wall, use these to explode with the Phoenix's eternal fire.
Begin by sacrificing two level 3 slots to "cast a spell you know that is one level higher." In this case it is a Sanctum Arcane Fusion, which counts as a 4th level spell due to you not being in your sanctum.
You use Sanctum Arcane Fusion to cast a 1st level spell (We are using a Sanctum Fireball) and Sanctum Arcane Fusion.
Repeat this until you faint due to brain trauma from all the books thrown at you.:smallbiggrin: