PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Monk Bonus Feat question - Snatch Arrows

TaasCano
2014-04-28, 11:31 PM
I've hunted around various sites, and I can't find a mention of this issue, let alone an official ruling.

According to Pathfinder rules, the Monk gets bonus feats at certain levels selectable from a certain list. It is specifically stated that "A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them."

Among the feats available starting at level 10 is "Snatch Arrows":

Instead of knocking an arrow or ranged attack aside, you can catch it in mid-flight.

Prerequisites: Dex 15, Deflect Arrows, Improved Unarmed Strike.

Benefit: When using the Deflect Arrows feat you may choose to catch the weapon instead of just deflecting it. Thrown weapons can immediately be thrown back as an attack against the original attacker (even though it isn't your turn) or kept for later use.

You must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this feat.

Now, according to the rules, a monk can take this feat whether or not he already has the prerequisite feat "Deflect Arrows". However, Snatch Arrows specifically triggers on use of Deflect Arrows. How would this work if a monk only had the Snatch Arrows feat? Would the absence of a need for the prerequisite mean that arrows could be snatched as if the base feat were already in place? Or (and I assume this is more likely), since the monk rules only state that the prerequisite is not needed to take the feat, but says nothing about using the feat, having Snatch Arrows in such a situation would just be a useless and wasted feat?

I can guess which way this is likely to go, but as I say, I haven't been able to find any sort of ruling anywhere, and I was surprised that the question didn't seem to have ever come up. Has anyone else seen an official answer to this, or know where one can be found?

deuxhero
2014-04-28, 11:39 PM
This is a pretty well discussed question actually. You should use "Gloves of Arrow Snaring" in your search terms, as people talk about that more (though it's the same problem).

I don't think there has been an answer given yet.