PDA

View Full Version : Fell Drain and constant AOE damage suggestions

Xathrax
2014-04-29, 01:54 AM
Hello everyone!

First post here :)

In our current campaign I am playing an arcane spellcaster(level 11, 6th level spells) and I tend to turn into stuff via Draconic Polymorph and smash face. Usually my AC is sufficiently high for the low level goons to only hit me when they roll 19-20ish, but I recently got swarmed by a pack of imp like thingies that kept regenerating and would have killed me if the party didn't swoop in to save me.

The solution that I want to use for this is fell drain and any spell that would deal damage around me, but I am having a hard time finding a proper spell. One that I found is Wreath of Flames which does exactly what I want, but I was hoping to find something that has a slightly larger range so I can drain stuff at least a few squares away from me. In addition to that EVERYTHING is immune or has resistance to fire.

Ikeren
2014-04-29, 03:42 AM
If you're willing to use the Shape Spell feat (I think that's what it's called) you can drop any cloud-style feat of your choice and shape out the centre for you to stand in. Best option? Get Surrounded. Fell Prismatic mist (SpC) with a rod of quicken, solid fog. Bam, can't get out. Slaughter.

Fireburst, 2nd level Spell compendium: Deals 1d8/level to adjacent targets, max 5d8.

SamaelOfChaos
2014-04-29, 03:47 AM
But Fireburst unfortunately deals fire damage, so he would also have to have a way to alter the energy type to something else, right?

Dread_Head
2014-04-29, 04:10 AM
I personally like Kelgore's Grave Mist (PHBII) for combination with Fell Drain due to its low level and its damage over time effect causing a negative level each round.
Fire Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireShield.htm) would be good as well to deal a negative level each time your attacked and you can choose cold or fire damage.

Ps. Welcome to the Playground

Xathrax
2014-04-29, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I'll clarify what I was looking for a bit more. I have levels in Incanatrix and I persist a bunch of buffs so my intention was to have something similar to Wreath of Flames which rides along with me all day and eats levels of stuff that wants to approach me and eat me. I did look into fire shield and similar spells, but the issue is that I need to get hit which happens less with my high AC. I wanted to be able to jump in the middle of my foes, smack someone, end my turn and burn levels of whoever is standing around me.

Thanks!

JeminiZero
2014-04-29, 06:14 AM
In addition to that EVERYTHING is immune or has resistance to fire.
What you want is Searing Spell from Sandstorm. +1 metamagic that ignores resistance, and deals half damage to immune.