PDA

View Full Version : I propose a challenge.

Xaroth
2014-04-29, 09:38 AM
You have 15 levels. No more, no less.

Choose one from the list:

Black Dragon
White Dragon
Blue Dragon
Green Dragon
Red Dragon
Copper Dragon
Brass Dragon
Bronze Dragon
Gold Dragon
Silver Dragon

Create the most powerful character that you can.

Your rolled stats are 6 15s.

ArendK
2014-04-29, 09:43 AM
What age category? That makes a world of difference for this little challenge.

ben-zayb
2014-04-29, 09:50 AM
What age category? That makes a world of difference for this little challenge.
What are you talking about? Surely you must only need to be a Fallen Paladin 1 to do it.

Urpriest
2014-04-29, 09:54 AM
...yeah, this needs some major clarification before anyone can propose anything for it.

Xaroth
2014-04-29, 10:16 AM
...yeah, this needs some major clarification before anyone can propose anything for it.

My bad, Age category of Wyrmling.

What else needs clarifying?

kellbyb
2014-04-29, 11:29 AM
My bad, Age category of Wyrmling.

What else needs clarifying?

Some of those 15 levels are taken up by NHD/LA, correct?

Xaroth
2014-04-29, 11:53 AM
Some of those 15 levels are taken up by NHD/LA, correct?

That is correct.

Templates are allowed, but relative levels must be sacrificed as per the template's LA.

No infinite loops, no Pun-Pun, practical optimization only.

Characters get normal WBL for their ECL.

Thanks to Urpriest for helping me out with the clarifications!

kellbyb
2014-04-29, 12:15 PM
That is correct.

Templates are allowed, but relative levels must be sacrificed as per the template's LA.

No infinite loops, no Pun-Pun, practical optimization only.

Characters get normal WBL for their ECL.

Thanks to Urpriest for helping me out with the clarifications!

One more. Is LA buy-off allowed?

Xaroth
2014-04-29, 12:57 PM
One more. Is LA buy-off allowed?

Nope. Good luck :)

John Longarrow
2014-04-29, 01:11 PM
Do you have a list of class skills for Dragons or are you going with "Any skills listed for that kind of Dragon in the MM is a class skill"?

Also, why no love for White or Brass Dragons?

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-29, 01:20 PM
Wellll....

Ok, lets go low LA, low HD.

White dragon wyrmling.

3 HD 2LA

Apply magical training to give you an arcane caster level.

Apply loredrake to give you two levels of sorcerer casting.

Apply spellhordeing to change that to wizard casting and allow you to use spells from your spell-horde as scrolls.

Class levels
Wizard 10

Scribe wish into your spell horde 36 times. Use all wishes to give yourself +5 inherent bonus to each stat and a +6 enhancement item for each stat.

Get attacked by a wight you summoned. Lose 3 levels to permenant level loss. Loose your dragon HD due to level loss. Train back with more wizard levels.

Final build
Wizard 13, casting as a wizard of level 15, with +11 to all stats barely touching his WBL. Gets exp, gold free wishes basically whenever he wants.

EDIT - no white dragon, this leaves you with slightly higher stats and only 12 / 14 levels of wizard respectively due to higher LA.

Xaroth
2014-04-29, 01:25 PM
Do you have a list of class skills for Dragons or are you going with "Any skills listed for that kind of Dragon in the MM is a class skill"?

Also, why no love for White or Brass Dragons?

I'm going with any skills listed for that kind.

Oops, forgot about White and Brass, gonna edit the initial post now.

Xaroth
2014-04-29, 01:26 PM
Wellll....

Ok, lets go low LA, low HD.

White dragon wyrmling.

3 HD 2LA

Apply magical training to give you an arcane caster level.

Apply loredrake to give you two levels of sorcerer casting.

Apply spellhordeing to change that to wizard casting and allow you to use spells from your spell-horde as scrolls.

Class levels
Wizard 10

Scribe wish into your spell horde 36 times. Use all wishes to give yourself +5 inherent bonus to each stat and a +6 enhancement item for each stat.

Get attacked by a wight you summoned. Lose 3 levels to permenant level loss. Loose your dragon HD due to level loss. Train back with more wizard levels.

Final build
Wizard 13, casting as a wizard of level 15, with +11 to all stats barely touching his WBL. Gets exp, gold free wishes basically whenever he wants.

EDIT - no white dragon, this leaves you with slightly higher stats and only 12 / 14 levels of wizard respectively due to higher LA.

White Dragon is allowed, I kinda forgot about them, that's why I never mentioned them.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-29, 01:30 PM
White Dragon is allowed, I kinda forgot about them, that's why I never mentioned them.

Cool, go with white then. You end up (after elite array, spellhording, and wishes) with a decent int score despite the racial -4.

Thoughts on the rest of the build? Free wishes and wizard casting at ECL isn't bad for such a rough start.

EDIT

Brass would be slightly stronger in the end, but slower to start due to better stats / more RHD. You are going to level drain all your dragon HD eventually, and starting with a base 15 int rather than a base 11 will make things easier.

Rubik
2014-04-29, 01:34 PM
Human druid 5/planar shepherd 10, with Dragon Cohort for a gold dragon cohort.

How about beguiler 5/rainbow servant 10 with the same?

John Longarrow
2014-04-29, 01:36 PM
Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

Xaroth
2014-04-29, 02:09 PM
Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

I'm putting this in my signature.

Xaroth
2014-04-29, 02:13 PM
Cool, go with white then. You end up (after elite array, spellhording, and wishes) with a decent int score despite the racial -4.

Thoughts on the rest of the build? Free wishes and wizard casting at ECL isn't bad for such a rough start.

EDIT

Brass would be slightly stronger in the end, but slower to start due to better stats / more RHD. You are going to level drain all your dragon HD eventually, and starting with a base 15 int rather than a base 11 will make things easier.

It's an awesome build, in my opinion. Well done!

John Longarrow
2014-04-29, 02:18 PM
Xaroth,

What can I say? I was inspired! Then again I'm listening to the King as we type!

Xaroth
2014-04-29, 02:19 PM
Human druid 5/planar shepherd 10, with Dragon Cohort for a gold dragon cohort.

How about beguiler 5/rainbow servant 10 with the same?

I thought it went without saying that the dragon had to be the primary character, and not the result of gaining a feat or a wild shape, etc.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-29, 02:49 PM
Though, nothing stops a wyrmling brass dragon wizard from having another wyrmling brass dragon AS a familiar.

Rubik
2014-04-29, 03:51 PM
I thought it went without saying that the dragon had to be the primary character, and not the result of gaining a feat or a wild shape, etc.Either one has enough shapeshifting ability to pretend to be a dragon who shapeshifts into a human. I just added the cohort feat to fit with the thread (and to be thematic).