PDA

View Full Version : Medival Total War (Help me please I wanna play!)

Traab
2014-04-29, 02:10 PM
I would like to play it again. Unfortunately, when I try the game gets to the point where I load up a new game and halfway through the loading screen, auto shuts down. Is there a way to make it work again? I hate it when this happens. I have lost so many old games I love to play because of stuff like this.

Jonzac
2014-04-29, 02:13 PM
You could try DOSBOX or maybe GOG.com (although you would have to purchase again for minimal money at GOG.com)

Eldan
2014-04-29, 02:14 PM
Have you tried the various compatibility modes?

Traab
2014-04-29, 02:17 PM
I have no idea what any of that is too be honest.

Jonzac
2014-04-29, 06:15 PM
DOSBOX is a DOS prompt emulator.

Your best bet is to surf the web to www.gog.com it is a website that sells old games that have the needed interface to work on today's Windows operating system. It will cost you around $5-$10 to buy again, but worth the effort since it guarantees it will work.

Alternately, go buy Medival Warfare II. Much newer program.

Brother Oni
2014-04-29, 06:19 PM
I have no idea what any of that is too be honest.

A quick guide to running M:TW in compatibility mode: link (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/unable-to-play-medieval-total-war-viking-invasion/9928a4c1-47d7-4522-8e79-1cb47fceec6a).

Martok
2014-05-05, 02:42 PM
Traab,

The problem with MTW/VI is that -- for whatever reason -- it does not like to play nice on modern hardware, particularly where video cards are concerned (Nvidias most of all). When the issue first began appearing, players complained to CA/Sega about it, who pointed the finger at Nvidia (saying they were the ones who needed to fix it), who pointed the finger back at CA/Sega, who pointed the finger back at...ad nauseum -- and the problem never got fixed. :smallfurious:

But I digress. If you've not already done so, I strongly recommend going to an older Total War site known as the Org, and check out the Medieval Total War section (http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?20-Medieval-Total-War), specifically with regards to some of the stickied threads at the top. They contain a number of fixes that have worked for folks in the past; some of them are obviously older now, but I still hear of people getting the game to run using one or more of these fixes. Good luck!

Your best bet is to surf the web to www.gog.com it is a website that sells old games that have the needed interface to work on today's Windows operating system. It will cost you around $5-$10 to buy again, but worth the effort since it guarantees it will work.
GOG doesn't sell Medieval Total War (unfortunately).