PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Building a setting

Vetril
2014-04-29, 02:25 PM
Hi, I am having a small problem with the creation of my own homebrew setting, and I'd like to hear your suggestions.

In my setting, non-human races are the only ones able to tap into the Outer Planes, thus making each race's magic aligned to a single extreme of the two alignment axis. Humans get access to the Inner Planes and their derivatives.

This is what I have so far:

Dwarves: Law.
Elves: Chaos.
Lizardfolk: Neutral.
Orcs: Evil.
???: Good.

What I'd like you to do is to suggest how to fill the gap. I could probably invent a race to embody Good, but I'd like to stick to races that already exist, so that I can avoid having to introduce them to players. Elves are a good candidate for Good, but I like them as Chaotic, since that also makes them directly "opposed" by dwarves. I guess I could make elves Good and changelings Chaos.
The only other races I can think of are Halflings and Gnomes, and they don't really work as champions of good, imho. Not as the elves would, anyway.
Titans, maybe? But then they are not really aligned to good.

Guidelines for suggesting a race:

1. Must be conceptually aligned with Good.
2. Must be a good opposite of orcs.
3. Not related to dragons - dragons don't tap the planes and already have their own thing going on.

So, give me your ideas :D

hymer
2014-04-29, 02:32 PM
You could have good transcend this. Anyone of any background can eventually learn to channel Good - if they're sufficiently Good.
Otherwise I'd suggest some Halflings closer to Hobbits - peaceful, unambitious and charitable.

Bloodgruve
2014-04-29, 02:58 PM
I second Halfling..

Aasimar is an obvious choice but probably too obvious.

Blood~

Asrrin
2014-04-29, 03:06 PM
I would say Elves should be good and for Chaotic you could choose gnomes or halflings, as they fit much better.

Bakeru
2014-04-29, 04:22 PM
...I'll go ahead and admit that my idea probably won't be the pinnacle of usefulness, but...
Have you thought about giving each race have two alignments, one on each axis?
Dwarves would be good and lawful, elves chaotic and lawful, orcs chaotic and evil, and now you're missing some lawful evil race... Mindflayers? Githyanki? Sahugain?

Buuut, since you probably want to stick to each having only one alignment - Centaurs tend to be Neutral Good, as do Desmodu (the Batman from Monster Manual II). Also, "Aarakocra" (bird people) from Monsters of Faerun.

Blackhawk748
2014-04-29, 04:29 PM
I second the Halfling suggestion, i mean Hobbits are nice, friendly, generally helpful, and not hostile at all. Honestly they are pretty much the only base race that is not intrinsically hostile to another one

Werephilosopher
2014-04-29, 05:35 PM
I second the Halfling suggestion, i mean Hobbits are nice, friendly, generally helpful, and not hostile at all. Honestly they are pretty much the only base race that is not intrinsically hostile to another one

Indeed. Even a gnome will be a racist b!stard to you if you're a kobold, but halflings are almost universally peaceful- if cunning and sneaky. And just because they're not physically imposing doesn't mean they can't be "champions" of good.

Blackhawk748
2014-04-29, 05:55 PM
I think there is actually a Halfing Paladin PrC thats actually pretty good, Champion of Yondalla? idk

Vetril
2014-04-30, 02:13 AM
Upon further consideration, you are convincing me that halflings might be the way to go: the fact that they are not built to excel in physical prowess underlines how Good is not about conflict. They end up being the underdogs.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-30, 02:33 AM
Yeah, while halflings might not be an obvious go-to choice for goodness, their go-to things tend to be strongly associated with good (cheerful, steadfast, hard working... heck, they get bravery as a racial feature.) They tend to have a lot of people who do the "right" things even when they're the hard things.

ArendK
2014-04-30, 03:44 AM
As far as they are usually written, halflings/hobbits are a good choice. They do embody everything that the being "good" is considered. Elves, given their variation, can cover all aspects of Chaos (good, neutrality, and evil), and Dwarves can get law and order down pat, with culture changing the moral axis of that.