PDA

View Full Version : What magic items should I be getting in the immediate future as a wizard?

RPGaddict28
2014-04-29, 03:45 PM
I'm at level 8, Wizard5/Incantatrix3. My current magic gear is a +2 INT headband, +2 gloves of DEX and spellcraft, Cloak of Resistance +2, Ring Of Protection +1, Ring of Featherfall(We have an airship.), Boots of Elvenkind, +1 Twilight Mithral chain, Bag of Holding 1, +2 Feycraft Buckler, +1 Elven thinblade(I got free proficiency.), and a bag of infinite caltrops.

I'm thinking I should buy Warning and Eager for my thinblade,put Animated on my shield, and get Sandals of The Vagabond, but what else should I get.

NOTE: Our party has a warforged artificer, if that affects what you think I should get.

Graypairofsocks
2014-04-29, 04:28 PM
A Boccob's Blessed Book may be useful.

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-29, 05:18 PM
Have the Artificer upgrade your headband to +4. Try to buy a better Ring of Protection. Buy a Belt of Healing just because they're useful, cheap, and you don't have anything else going on in your belt slot.

Bonzai
2014-04-29, 05:53 PM
My Wizard shopping list;

1. Boccob's Blessed book- Saves you a lot of cash over your wizard's career.

2. Mantle of Second Chances (shoulders)- Lets you re-roll failed saves. I then upgrade it with +'s to resistance as per the Magic Item Compendium. See if your DM will allow you to upgrade your cloak to one, since you can add resistance bonuses to any cloak.

3. Belt of Battle (waist) - Essentially a spontaneous quicken. Worth it's weight in gold.

4. Third Eye of Freedom (face)- Cheap freedom of movement when you really need it. Plus it saves you from having to cast it or buying a ring.

5. Amulet of Spell Conversion (throat) - Lets you swap a prepared spell for another spell you know. Great for utility spells that you didn't know you needed that day.

6. True Strike Gauntlets (Hands)- If you rely on touch spells or rays, then this can help you make sure that they count.

7. Wand Bracer (arms)- spring loaded wand launchers? Yes please.

8. Heward's Haversack - Always handy. Edit: I see you already have a bag of holding. Not needed.

That's all the relatively cheap stuff. Nothing there is over 12K with the exception of the amulet, so it should all be affordable over the next few levels.

boxfox
2014-04-29, 06:28 PM
wow...no metamagic rods yet?! That's about all I'd spend my money on.

JeminiZero
2014-04-29, 06:53 PM
If you haven't done so already, spellbook protection is important, you don't want it ruined just because it fell into water or something. Boccob's blessed book works.

On a related note, tattoos spellbooks [CArc 186] are nice for ensuring that you always have something to prepare even if you've somehow lost your book.

There is the list of necessary magical items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851)

Wizard spells can do lots of things (concealment, flight, freedom of movement). But the one thing Wizards do poorly is protection from energy drain. As such you probably want some equipment for that. Talisman of Undying Fortitude, or try to slap Deathward/Soulfire onto your shield.

Certain wands can be useful as well, especially those whose effect is independent of caster level. Get Wands for stuff like Nerveskitter and blockade.

RPGaddict28
2014-04-29, 07:08 PM
wow...no metamagic rods yet?! That's about all I'd spend my money on.

I can persist and extend for virtually free, and I don't blast. The only worthwhile one is quicken, and a lesser is 35,000 GP. Can't quite afford that.

Jeff the Green
2014-05-01, 12:00 AM
A Boccob's Blessed Book may be useful.

I prefer Aureon's SpellshardECS. Half the price, half the pages. It means you pull ahead of regular spell books in cost effectiveness much faster. It's also easier to conceal (I had a necropolitan archivist keep his in his thigh) and less obvious to spellbook thieves. Best when combined with a fake spellbook on which you cast magic aura to duplicate spell traps. And in which you've liberally sprinkled explosive runes.

Aside from what's been said, scrolls and wands. Scrolls for things you expect to cast maybe once in a level, wands you expect to cast frequently but unexpectedly, and eternal wands/schemata for things you expect to cast once/twice a day, every day (e.g. rope trick).