PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Questions about Psychic Warrior and Psicrystal

jgranson
2014-04-29, 04:03 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.
First off, I have searched this forum, and others, for answers to the questions I have and none of the threads I have found are relevant.

A little background. I am still a bit of a noob to D&D in general. I have played in a few campaigns and DMed one, but still don't have a lot of experience and apparently don't research too well(you'll see). I am currently a 5th level Psychic Warrior and I JUST started looking into the Psicrystal(see I don't research very well). After my group's last session, we increased to 5th level. I am taking Psicrystal Affinity. I am planning on taking Psicrystal Containment at 6th level.

As I read through the Expanded Psionics book I discovered the info about Psicrystals is......lacking. I have confirmed that based on what I have read on this, and other forums. My questions are as follows(sorry if they are obvious):

1) Does the owner of the Psicrystal gain the AC and INT bonus the crystal does?(I assume not). The book states: "A Psicrystal grants special abilities to it's owner, as shown on the table below". Is that ONLY speaking of the abilities under the "special" column?

2) Does the owner gain ALL of the skill points the crystal gets?((I assume not) I know the owner gets at least the "personality skills")

3) Can it attack as if unarmed?(bashing into target)

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Urpriest
2014-04-29, 04:06 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.
First off, I have searched this forum, and others, for answers to the questions I have and none of the threads I have found are relevant.

A little background. I am still a bit of a noob to D&D in general. I have played in a few campaigns and DMed one, but still don't have a lot of experience and apparently don't research too well(you'll see). I am currently a 5th level Psychic Warrior and I JUST started looking into the Psicrystal(see I don't research very well). After my group's last session, we increased to 5th level. I am taking Psicrystal Affinity. I am planning on taking Psicrystal Containment at 6th level.

As I read through the Expanded Psionics book I discovered the info about Psicrystals is......lacking. I have confirmed that based on what I have read on this, and other forums. My questions are as follows(sorry if they are obvious):

1) Does the owner of the Psicrystal gain the AC and INT bonus the crystal does?(I assume not). The book states: "A Psicrystal grants special abilities to it's owner, as shown on the table below". Is that ONLY speaking of the abilities under the "special" column?

2) Does the owner gain ALL of the skill points the crystal gets?((I assume not) I know the owner gets at least the "personality skills")

3) Can it attack as if unarmed?(bashing into target)

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

The only benefits the owner gets from the crystal are the small skill bonuses from Altertness and from the Personality. The owner gains no skill points at all, nor do they gain any of the abilities that explicitly affect only the psicrystal.

Every creature that can move, including psicrystals, can make unarmed strikes.

jgranson
2014-04-29, 04:11 PM
The only benefits the owner gets from the crystal are the small skill bonuses from Altertness and from the Personality. The owner gains no skill points at all, nor do they gain any of the abilities that explicitly affect only the psicrystal.

Every creature that can move, including psicrystals, can make unarmed strikes.

That helps. Thank you.

Now to decide what Feats to give the little sucker.

Irk
2014-04-29, 04:17 PM
Now to decide what Feats to give the little sucker.
Are you aware of the Feat Battery trick?

The Feat Battery Trick uses your Psicrystal (or Psionic Cohort/Thrall) as a source of extra feats, shared with you via the Feat Leach Power. This can grant you access to extra psionic or metapsionic feats.
Powers: Feat Leach, Psychic Reformation (not necessary but beneficial)
Feats: (A Psicrystal requires Wild Talent or Hidden Talent, you'll also need to give the Battery whatever feats you want to get)
Method:

1. You manifest Feat Leach on the 'Battery'
2. The 'Battery' voluntarily fails its Will Save
3. You gain up to your Wis mod in bonus feats

Minimum Level: 3