PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Rune Knight [Base Class] [W.I.P] [Help needed]

Chaotic Chewy
2014-04-29, 05:01 PM
EDIT: Please, feel free to comment with suggestions, criticism, help, or anything else that you feel would be appropriate to the class or thread.

Back in March I posted a class called the Rune Knight on the Paizo forms, under the handle of The Eternal King. Unfortunately the page died down, mostly due to my slow posting, and I believe a general lack of interest. So I'm going to post our general thoughts and conclusions here, in hopes that people here on these forms will be able to help flesh the rest of the class out.

Now unfortunately, I'm to familiar with making tables, so I'll get around to that later, but for now, I will post the thoughts and ideas below. I appreciate all help and feed back.

Hit Die: D10 or D8
Full BAB or 3/4 BAB respectively
Good Will and Reflex save

Proficiencies: All Simple and Martial melee weapons, the Rune Knight is not proficient with armor or shields of any kind.

The Rune Knight starts the class with 3 runes known plus one additional rune known at level 3 and every two levels thereafter, up to 12 at level 19. At level 1, she may have a number of runes equal to 3+her int mod drawn on her gear or the gear of her allies', but may only have one active at a time. She may have one additional rune drawn at level 3, and every two levels thereafter to a maximum of 12+int modifier at level 19. The Rune knight may have a second rune active at level 2 and an additional active rune every 2 levels thereafter to a maximum of 11 at level 20.

Potential Runes available at level 1:

Damaging runes (each kind "purchased" separately).
These just add damage to attacks made with the weapon where the rune is inscribed. I think this should be just like +2 standard elemental damage (fire, cold, acid, electricity) and +1 for the weird elements (force, holy, and unholy; holy and unholy get the added benefits of). This stuff does not increase with level since it will more or less improve as characters get more attacks but I have an idea for rune stacking later starting at like level 7. When you "stack" two of these runes, the elemental damage steps up to 2d6, while the force and holy/unholy step up to 1d6.

Defensive runes (each kind "purchased" separately):
Basic elements grant elemental resistance 5(fire, cold, etc.) which improves to 10 at level 11. Stacking these before level 11, increase the resistance to 15, but stacking them after 10 imparts immunity. Holy, unholy, and eldritch grant DR 5/magic when unstacked which increases to DR 10/magic at level 8 and DR 15/magic at level 18. Stacked, the DRs change to 5/Good (for unholy), 5/Evil (for holy), and 5/Adamantine (for eldritch) with the damage scaling up with level as well.

Speed runes:
Placed on pants or leg armor and increase movement speed by 5 feet. This improves by 5 feet at level 6 and every six levels thereafter. Stacking doubles it.

Level 5 runes:
[Only one for now]

Rune of competence:
When placed on a weapon, it grants a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls. This may not be stacked until level 9. At that point, when the Rune knight places the stacked rune on one weapon that the rune knight holds (so just the rune knight) the insight bonus increases by +1 (to +3). At level 13, this stacked bonus increases to +2 (to +3 total) for the rune knight and it can be stacked on others for +1 (totaling to +2). At level 17, the bonus increases by +1 for the rune knight regardless of stacked (for a total of +2 unstacked and +4 stacked)

Weapon Master's Tattoo:
Beginning at level 6, a Rune Knight may inscribe herself with a magical tattoo on one or both of her arms. This magic tattoo is essentially a peice of magical equipment that the Rune Knight may craft and apply to herself. For the cost of a weapon +1 weapon (2,000 gp) a rune knight may tattoo one of her arms so that any masterwork weapon wielded in that hand is treated as a +1 magic weapon. The Rune Knight may spend additional money to increase the power of this tattoo further even adding effects like flaming, keen, or defending provided that the Rune Knight can pay the gold in terms of raw materials and the total effective enhancement bonus of the "weapon" not exceed 1/2 the Runic Knight's class level. In addition to weapon properties that increase the effective enhancement bonus of the weapon in terms of cost, the Runic Knight may add any number of additional abilities that add to the flat cost of a weapon (such as dueling) provided she can pay the cost in materials. And though she may add any enchantment she likes to the tattoo, only those effects applicable to the held weapon will actually carry over to the held weapon (so for instance: the Rune Knight still may not add keen to a held mace nor add the Greater Designating enchantment to a held melee weapon, but may still add any other applicable effects embodied in the tattoo). Each arm of the Runic Knight may be enchanted separately and weapons held in two hands may apply the effects imparted by either arm but not the effects of both. A common strategy is for a Runic Knight to enchant one hand to use melee items with and another hand for the use of ranged weapons such as bows. You may improve the tattoos by paying the cost difference between the new cost of the enchantment and the old enchantment. However though you may be able to improve existing effects into their better version (such as lesser designating to greater designating or flaming to flaming burst) the Knight may not "trade" effects. To do that, she must first spend 1 week removing part of the tattoo (as in removing the "flaming" enchantment) and then adding the new enchantment as normal.

Creating the tattoo or improving the tattoo takes 1 week of work for every 10k of the cost of the tattoo or the cost difference of improving the tattoo (rounded down but with a minimum of one week of work).

The stacked mechanic:
beginning at level 7, the rune knight may stack two of the same runes on one item. This takes up two runes for the purpose of the limit the rune knight may have drawn at once and also two runes for the limit of runes the rune knight may have active if she would like to use the stacked rune as two of her active runes. The rune knight may opt to only turn one rune "on" if she chooses but that results in only the lesser form of the power being active.

Rune ideas that need to be appropriately level based:

Vertical
When placed on a weapon the Rune Knight may, as a standard action, make a single attack at her highest BAB, against all targets in a strait line out to 30ft, this increase to 60ft at (?) level. This stacks to 60/120ft respectively. This Rune may only be placed on Slashing or Piercing type weapons.

Horizontal
When placed on a weapon the Rune Knight may, as a standard action, make a single attack at her highest BAB, against all targets in a cone out to 30ft, this increase to 60ft at (?) level. This stacks to 60/120ft respectively. This Rune may only be placed on Slashing weapons.

HP Drain
Gain half damage as health back, this can not cause her to exceed her normal max health. At (?) level becomes full damage but is temporary.

Meteor Impact
As a Full-round action deal damage to all targets in a 30ft radius. At (?) becomes 60ft. Stacks to 60/120ft. This Rune has a special limitation, and may only be placed on a Hammer or Hammer-like weapon.

-----------------------------------------

Possible Feats:
Gain 2 additional Runes

When using a Rune that deals damage you may select a number of targets equal to your intelligence mod + 1/2 levels that it doesn't affect.

Chaotic Chewy
2014-04-30, 08:48 AM
I meant to get around to it yesterday, but, I need to post about were I possibly possibly want this class to go.

First: No spellcasting, it's simply not the focus of the class, that, and my DM has a qualm with me and legit spellcasting classes.

Second: The class, will rely mostly on secondary abilities and other Runes, to boost defensive and offensive capabilities.

Three: More Runes; Can't be lacking in the main focus of the class, that would be no fun.

Chaotic Chewy
2014-05-11, 02:04 PM
Need appropriate level placement:

Fey-hunt Rune: When placed on a weapon, that weapon is treated as Cold Iron for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. In addition gain a +1 rune bonus to attack and damage rolls against creatures with the Fey subtype, for every 5 levels the Rune Knight possess of this class.

Witchbane Rune: When placed on a weapon, that weapon is treated as Silver for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. In addition gain a +1 rune bonus to attack and damage rolls against creatures with the Shapechanger subtype, for every 5 levels the Rune Knight possess of this class.

Will be adding similar runes as effects and names come along. Perhaps I should make a bane rune of sorts that could just be selective vs. the selected creature type or subtype.