PDA

View Full Version : Spell Points Variant

TeslaJr
2014-04-29, 06:05 PM
I was reading through Unearthed Arcana when I stumbled upon this magic variant, and I was wondering if anyone here had used it and what they thought of it?

Dr.Gara
2014-04-29, 06:07 PM
I've never personally used it, but I've heard nothing but bad things about it.

There is also this post on the subject. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279233-3-5-You-know-what-Psi-is-overpowered-annoying&p=15043304&viewfull=1#post15043304)

TeslaJr
2014-04-29, 06:11 PM
Really? That's a shame, it seemed interesting.

TeslaJr
2014-04-29, 06:24 PM
There is also this post on the subject. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279233-3-5-You-know-what-Psi-is-overpowered-annoying&p=15043304&viewfull=1#post15043304)

After reading this, it seems like the spell points system basically turns a wizard into a Sorcerer 2.0, a better caster than both wizards and sorcerers.

Callin
2014-04-29, 07:27 PM
Stupidly broken when you use an Archivist with the Vitality variant and Second Wind. Basically infinite casting all day. Cast till you have 1 pt left. Cast second wind and go up to 2/3rds points. Repeat.

TuggyNE
2014-04-29, 10:53 PM
Really? That's a shame, it seemed interesting.

Fortunately there's a homebrew project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?194002-3-5-A-Translation-of-Vancian-Spellcasting-to-Psionic-Mechanics) which is largely complete and, among other things, serves as a far more balanced and detailed replacement for spell points.

TheNervyOne
2014-04-30, 10:19 AM
Stupidly broken when you use an Archivist with the Vitality variant and Second Wind. Basically infinite casting all day. Cast till you have 1 pt left. Cast second wind and go up to 2/3rds points. Repeat.

Can you explain this further, how does Second Wind (Feat or Spell btw) do that for you? Lowering your points makes you exhausted not take HP damage and I don't see where this allows you to use this combo

Of course a Warforged caster of any type in a Vitality system since it does nto limit them due to not being able to be fatigued or exhausted. So in theory a Warforged Sorcerer can cast all day long

Callin
2014-04-30, 10:22 AM
Second wind is a first level paladin spell that the archivist can get. It removes Fatigue whether you have it or not and that causes you to regain Spell Points up to 2/3rds of your max. Then you can just keep on casting, do it again and regain back up to 2/3rds. Over and over again.

Also no to regain Spell Points you HAVE to be able to recover from Fatigue/Exhaustion. Or wait the Time Limit (from what I remember I might be remembering wrong on the second part) ANY THING that removes Fatigue/Exhaustion puts you back up to X amount of Spell Points. So stuff like Second Wind, Heal, the feat Restorative Spell. Stuff like that

TheNervyOne
2014-04-30, 10:34 AM
It just says when you reach half your spell point you become fatigued but a warforged cannot. It also states that even normal fatigue or effects that cause it reduce spell points. So in RAW theory you would never dip below 1/2 spell points because you cannot go below fatigued and if you somehow (It does not cite immunity mind you) lose Fatigue and Exhausted you regain those points.

Its a loophole. I would get fatigue but warforged are immune thus I lose fatigue and now I have my points back

Darkweave31
2014-04-30, 12:30 PM
No doubt it's a high powered variant, but I really like the idea of a pool of spell points rather than spell slots (especially for arcane casters). I've been thinking of trying it out with the following modifications:

1. Vitalizing variant is in effect, HOWEVER, it now causes magical fatigue and magical exhaustion. These conditions act in the same way as fatigue and exhaustion, but they cannot be cured magically, only by resting can you remove them. Mundane fatigue and exhaustion (even if caused by a magic effect) still affect the caster and lower spell points accordingly. Mundane fatigue or exhaustion can be cured naturally, and spell points are recovered to the total they were before the condition minus any that were spent during the condition. EDIT: There is no immunity to magical fatigue or exhaustion, forgot that part.

2. Metamagic for wizards/clerics/druids/etc may be used by preparing the spell with the metamagic feat in the appropriate spell slot, costing as much as a spell of the adjusted level.

3. Metamagic for sorcerers/bards/etc may be applied to any spell as it is cast by spending the appropriate amount of spell points for the adjusted spell level. Sorcerers do not need to spend a full-round action to apply metamagic to a spell (because I think that's silly and needlessly limiting).

4. Damaging spells don't cost more to increase the damage done (because I think that's silly and needlessly complicated).