PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] Help me make the best of a bad situation!

magotter
2014-04-29, 07:13 PM
Alright, here's the situation. The character I'm playing in a campaign just hit Level 3. I was hoping to make an Oracle-focused Oradin, and started off by taking 2 levels in Paladin, to be soon followed by 18 levels of Oracle. I started off with high charisma, knowing that despite my Paladin levels I wouldn't be focusing on melee or even ranged combat.

However, my GM has just thwarted my dreams. Despite doing my best ever since we started to show devotion to Abadar, the GM feels I haven't shown enough devotion and Abadar is unwilling to 'grant' me a level in Oracle. Essentially, GM Fiat territory. He says I can take Oracle later after certain in-game events have occured, but won't be able to retrain my classes back to make up the loss. Moreover, he is deeming that I may only continue to progress as a Paladin.

I desperately need help with this because I have not at all focused my Scores, Skills, or Feats towards being stuck as a goddamned paladin. It seems the GM may, if I'm reading him right, grant me the privilage of multiclassing around level 6. If you guys have any tricks that can help me salvage this character, I'd be much appreciated. Here he is listed below:

Lawful Good Idyllkin Aasimar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar)
Tranquil Guardian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar/tranquil-guardian) Paladin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin) 2
Stats: 12 / 14 / 16 / 12 / 7 / 18
Feats: (1) Fey Foundling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/fey-foundling), (B) Touch of Serenity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/touch-of-serenity-combat)
Traits: Armor Expert (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/combat-traits/armor-expert), Eyes and Ears of the City (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/eyes-and-ears-of-the-city-god-of-commerce), Extremely Fashionable (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/equipment-traits/extremely-fashionable), Naive (Drawback) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/drawbacks/naive)

For reference, the other party members are a Gnome Bard (Sandman), Human Sorcerer, and an Ifrit Rogue (Scout).

Hurnn
2014-04-29, 07:15 PM
find a new game, or get your self killed off and make a new one.

Callin
2014-04-29, 07:22 PM
seriously... screw that. Not allowing a player to have fun by just flat out saying NOPE to heck with what you want. Is pretty crappy.

Not sure as to what you can do.

Kudaku
2014-04-29, 07:34 PM
If it's a new group or if you have other options I'd probably just look for a different game - that GM has red flags all over.

If that is not an option, I'd simply explain that the limitations the GM has imposed on your character is hindering your enjoyment and then ask to retire the character and make a new one.

Finally... Why do you need Abadar's blessing to become an oracle?

Dorian Gray
2014-04-29, 07:42 PM
I second the above. Oracles specifically don't get spells from one god. If your DM doesn't acknowledge this... well, it's already been stated that he's throwing up red flags.

Yawgmoth
2014-04-29, 07:44 PM
1. Read the posts in this thread.
2. Read my sig.
3. GOTO 1

magotter
2014-04-29, 07:57 PM
Well, for the moment, let's assume quitting the group isn't an option. There are... reasons for this, but the tl;dr version is that a lot of good friends would become seriously butthurt and I really don't desire to have that happen. I've tried to explain the fluff of oracles is multitheistic, but that also flies in the face of the established fluff.

However, talking to the GM, he did accept my offer to simply hold off on leveling until suh time as I can take my oracle levels. This seems to pose an interesting challenge, at the very least. Let's see how far I can stretch myself being 1 to 3 levels behind other players and the CR curve and still survive. I reckon if I die, no big; make new and better PC (Likely an alchemist or CoDzilla), and if I survive then call it an achievement.

Still, I really feel like I should be having a backup plan. IIRC there is a way to regain actual spellcaster levels, and not just CR from multiclassing, but i don't recall the feat. and again, other tactics would be appreciated. Thanks for the input so far regardless, though.

Derpldorf
2014-04-29, 07:59 PM
I don't know jack about pathfinder, so I can't help you find a working build, but I can give you some advice. Explain to him very calmly that you designed your character to be an orcadin (whatever that is) and do not wish to advance as a pally and that being forced to do so is ruining your enjoyment. Does he impose such ridiculous restrictions on everyone in the group? Or just you? If either of these answers are "yes" then you need a new DM. It is the duty of the DM to provide an enjoyable and fun atmosphere for the players. It isn't the players duty to act out a script, that's why their "players" and not "actors", if your DM doesn't understand this, make a change. If he's this harsh on everyone, call a vote for a new DM. If it's just you, call a vote for a new DM. If it's just you and nobody cares, find a better group. You don't have to deal with this crap.

Edit: Wow I type slow! There's been at least five posts since I started typing this.

Stormageddon
2014-04-29, 08:16 PM
Isn't the standard build for a Oradin 4 Oracle/16 Paladin? Using life link and Lay on Hands to get swift heals. You'll be fine. ;D

But seriously a DM shouldn't mess with a characters build.

Kudaku
2014-04-29, 08:49 PM
Since you seem committed to this and I get the feeling that your GM plays kind of fast and loose with the rules set anyways...

I'd suggest a class swap to the GM. When you reach whatever RP moment the GM deems it appropriate for your character to be accepted by Abadar as an oracle, that blessing allows you a once-only chance to straight up trade paladin levels for oracle levels on a 1-1 basis.

While there is nothing RAW (or RAI) allowing this, there is some precedent in the paladin/antipaladin classes: Rarely, a paladin turns from the light and seeks instead to make a pact with the dark powers. Often this is through temptation or some sort of ruse, but once the deal is struck, the paladin finds himself on the path to damnation.

When such a fall occurs, the transformation can be swift. The paladin trades in all of his paladin levels for antipaladin levels on a 1-for-1 basis. This is usually a traumatic experience, involving a complex ritual that involves a living sacrifice and dark oaths made to foul powers (who sometimes send minions to bear witness). Once complete, the antipaladin emerges, ready to bring ruin to the world.

You apparently have to strive to become "worthy" in the eyes of Abadar to take Oracle levels, so that could represent the 'pact' you are making. Since in your case you're trading paladin levels for Life Oracle levels instead of antipaladin levels I would imagine that the ritual could be more festive, a celebration of life rather than a blood sacrifice.

This means that you continue to level with your party (avoiding becoming the millstone by trailing 3-4 levels behind the rest of them), the GM gets to play out his preordained (:smallannoyed:) plan for your character, and you (eventually) get to play the character you want to.

Might be worth a shot?

grarrrg
2014-04-29, 08:49 PM
Isn't the standard build for a Oradin 4 Oracle/16 Paladin?

Yes and no.
One of the main advantages is the flexibility. You can build it however you want really (certain builds are better at some things than others, but it's quite flexible).

And even if the "typical" build is Oracle 4/Paladin 16, then getting to Paladin 2/Oracle 2 is MUCH more useful than Paladin 4/Oracle 0.

Sith_Happens
2014-04-29, 10:19 PM
1. Acquire Candles of Invocation.
2. ???
3. Profit.
4. Take Total Defense action IRL.

Spore
2014-04-29, 11:16 PM
I second the above. Oracles specifically don't get spells from one god. If your DM doesn't acknowledge this... well, it's already been stated that he's throwing up red flags.

This. Not many DMs even get that you channel a tiny spark of divine power without having to check back on your god. You basically get divine powers and get cursed for that. Then the gods just watch you and ease your curse when they see that is does not slow you down anyhow.

Tokiko Mima
2014-04-29, 11:40 PM
If you wanted to handle this as gracefully as possible, you could pull a 'the dog ate my character sheet' gambit but say that while you don't remember exactly how you set up the character before, you do have this new character you made! That way you get the character you want, and the DM saves face by not having to reverse his admittedly poor rules interpretation. :smallsmile:

NightbringerGGZ
2014-04-30, 06:54 AM
If you wanted to handle this as gracefully as possible, you could pull a 'the dog ate my character sheet' gambit but say that while you don't remember exactly how you set up the character before, you do have this new character you made! That way you get the character you want, and the DM saves face by not having to reverse his admittedly poor rules interpretation. :smallsmile:

Personally I wouldn't want to play with a GM that has to "save face". My groups make mistakes all the time. We handle mistakes by talking about them during a break or after a session, making sure everybody knows about the mistake and the moving forward with corrected rules. If you're gaming with people who can't admit when they've made a mistake on a rules interpretation then you really need to find a new group.

My advice to the OP is to calmly explain to your GM that 1) his decree is going to cause problems with the build you had in mind and 2) he's wrong in his interpretation of how Oracles work. If he won't work with you to make sure you're still having fun, it is time to find a new group to play with.

avr
2014-04-30, 08:10 AM
The way to regain full spellcaster levels involves high affiliation scores with an organisation. I do not recommend trying this with this DM.

Instead, find a way to honourably suicide and for your next character choose something difficult for the DM to screw you with.