PDA

View Full Version : Favored Character Sheets

AugustNights
2014-04-29, 08:03 PM
Hey Playground, the short version of what I'm asking is this: What character sheet do you prefer and why?

The reason I'm pooling information is that I'm editing together some character sheets of my own design to match up with my house rules for a group that insists on using them. (I prefer blank paper, or a word processing document so I can organize my character sheets custom to each individual character).
Thanks for any input!

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-29, 08:16 PM
I prefer any character sheet that I make myself, whether it's a modified version of someone else's, or one I've made myself. This way, I'm able to add fields and data that would be useful for my current class/build, without having to resort to the terrible class-based sheets that WotC made, or to a generic sheet that may not fit my build very well. Mythweavers is okay, too; it's easy to share.

Check out the sheet I made, in my signature.

ddude987
2014-04-29, 08:59 PM
I prefer any character sheet that I make myself, whether it's a modified version of someone else's, or one I've made myself. This way, I'm able to add fields and data that would be useful for my current class/build, without having to resort to the terrible class-based sheets that WotC made, or to a generic sheet that may not fit my build very well. Mythweavers is okay, too; it's easy to share.

+1 to this. Pretty sweet.

AugustNights
2014-04-29, 09:06 PM
That is a very nice sheet, thank you.

Grayson01
2014-04-29, 09:51 PM
I am a Huge Fan of the Delux WoTC 3.5 Sheets for each class. Except the ones from the PHB the lay out of that one bugs me.

Talar
2014-04-29, 10:26 PM
I always hand write mine. Allows me to put the information where I want it as well as include things I care more about. Also it helps me remember everything about my character since I am physically writing it all down

Zuke
2014-04-29, 10:55 PM
I created one a few years back now. If I can figure out a way to link it I'll give you it to look over.

Have a look at my link below. Its a generic character sheet and after creating 25 - 50 or more characters with it, it has never let me down. There are a few things that I might update one day.

I hope this helps with yours.

King Atticus
2014-04-29, 10:58 PM
I custom make character sheets in excel for each of my characters. It allows me to program in things that I use often that temporarily modify my numbers. So whenever I get buffed (for example) I hit a button and it alters all the correct stats. It stays a lot cleaner than a paper sheet plus it makes me feel more connected to the character. The down side being, I've been doing it for so long that I literally can't find anything on a standard paper sheer. So if pressed in to use of one it takes me forever.

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-30, 10:57 AM
+1 to this. Pretty sweet.

That is a very nice sheet, thank you.
Thank you both! I hope you find it useful.

I always hand write mine. Allows me to put the information where I want it as well as include things I care more about. Also it helps me remember everything about my character since I am physically writing it all down
I never even thought of just writing it down -- that seems like a good approach, actually. How do you handle versioning and leveling up/down?

I custom make character sheets in excel for each of my characters. It allows me to program in things that I use often that temporarily modify my numbers. So whenever I get buffed (for example) I hit a button and it alters all the correct stats. It stays a lot cleaner than a paper sheet plus it makes me feel more connected to the character. The down side being, I've been doing it for so long that I literally can't find anything on a standard paper sheer. So if pressed in to use of one it takes me forever.
I've flirted with the idea of doing that, specifically making a toggle for PF/3.5. Are you using Excel+macros (VB?), or using lookup tables/other in-cell equations?

torrasque666
2014-04-30, 11:14 AM
Heroforge. Granted, I don't use dragon content, which it doesn't have yet(or ever maybe) but its not too much of a hassle for me.

John Longarrow
2014-04-30, 11:17 AM
Mostly I go with either HeroForge or a version with the character generation cut out.

Either works well for me. To find it, just do a google search for HeroForge 3.5

Talar
2014-04-30, 11:31 AM
I never even thought of just writing it down -- that seems like a good approach, actually. How do you handle versioning and leveling up/down?

I use pencil so I just replace the appropriate numbers and such. Every 2 or 3 levels I remake the character sheet depending on its condition and such. Also of note is that I back up my characters on myth-weavers and keep them updated there as well.

As a DM I have a tendency to use excel to get everything down and then will write down what I need on an index card.

Bakkan
2014-04-30, 11:35 AM
I absolutely love the ones from Dyslexic Studeos (http://charactersheets.minotaur.cc/)

Trasilor
2014-04-30, 01:00 PM
I absolutely love the ones from Dyslexic Studeos (http://charactersheets.minotaur.cc/)

This is my favorite paper version of a character sheet. They break Combat and non Combat information nicely. They also have nice pages for notes (party members/affiliations/quirks/general attitude, etc). Can be very nice when playing in multiple games or long breaks between sessions (none of my games run more frequently then once ever two weeks).

Zombulian
2014-04-30, 01:07 PM

Having trouble downloading it on the computer I'm on, but I'm at school. I'll post here so I remember to come back.

I personally use Pifro but that's just because it was the first online character sheet I found, but I'm aware of Mythweavers and other sheets online that are probably just as good.

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-30, 10:38 PM
I use pencil so I just replace the appropriate numbers and such. Every 2 or 3 levels I remake the character sheet depending on its condition and such. Also of note is that I back up my characters on myth-weavers and keep them updated there as well.

As a DM I have a tendency to use excel to get everything down and then will write down what I need on an index card.
Okay, that seems like a reasonable way to do it. Index cards also seem like a good solution for face-to-face games. I'll try to remember that.

This is my favorite paper version of a character sheet. They break Combat and non Combat information nicely. They also have nice pages for notes (party members/affiliations/quirks/general attitude, etc). Can be very nice when playing in multiple games or long breaks between sessions (none of my games run more frequently then once ever two weeks).
Yes, those sheets are quite nice. I really wish the author had put in auto-calculation, though. It's just so handy when you're not as attentive to maths.

Having trouble downloading it on the computer I'm on, but I'm at school. I'll post here so I remember to come back.

I personally use Pifro but that's just because it was the first online character sheet I found, but I'm aware of Mythweavers and other sheets online that are probably just as good.
I just tried downloading both the ods and xls, and didn't have any problems. It could be that there's a firewall/blacklist software running at your school which prevents the download. If it still doesn't work elsewhere, would you mind telling me your OS and browser?

Ah, I've seen these pifro sheets around. I really like the design for the weapons and armour cells, very elegant. If I could copy the look for my own sheets, I probably would.

King Atticus
2014-04-30, 11:01 PM
I've flirted with the idea of doing that, specifically making a toggle for PF/3.5. Are you using Excel+macros (VB?), or using lookup tables/other in-cell equations?

I use a combination of Macros and in-cell formulas depending on what I'm trying to do. I'm not terribly proficient so I just try things until I get it to do what I want. It's works pretty well though. I hated paper sheets because I had to rewrite it after every session because it got too messy.

Dugong
2014-05-01, 07:37 AM
I'll edit this later when I can look up my old sheet, but the suggestions so far are really good. Dyslexic studios have some very good sheets if your class is on their list.

One suggestion I haven't seen so far are the character sheets from Mad Irishmen, personally I tend to use a mixture of Mad Irishmen, Dyslexic and standard sheets for my character.

weckar
2014-05-01, 08:24 AM
I like the layout they made for the Eberron Sheets: big enough to fit everything, small enough to not be cumbersome. Also, it forces me to double check everything. I always find that if I handwrite them that I always forget something (usually something like rolling hitpoints).

Zombulian
2014-05-01, 08:35 AM
I like the layout they made for the Eberron Sheets: big enough to fit everything, small enough to not be cumbersome. Also, it forces me to double check everything. I always find that if I handwrite them that I always forget something (usually something like rolling hitpoints).

I forget HP so much it's embarrassing.

GilesTheCleric
2014-05-01, 04:17 PM
I use a combination of Macros and in-cell formulas depending on what I'm trying to do. I'm not terribly proficient so I just try things until I get it to do what I want. It's works pretty well though. I hated paper sheets because I had to rewrite it after every session because it got too messy.
Okay. I wish I could use macros, but since I don't use excel/windows, I can't and instead just do everything in-cell. Would you mind sharing one of your custom sheets? I'd be interested to see the implementation.

I'll edit this later when I can look up my old sheet, but the suggestions so far are really good. Dyslexic studios have some very good sheets if your class is on their list.

One suggestion I haven't seen so far are the character sheets from Mad Irishmen, personally I tend to use a mixture of Mad Irishmen, Dyslexic and standard sheets for my character.

The Mad Irishmen (http://www.mad-irishman.net/pubs/MI_DnD3eCharSheet23.pdf) sheets are rendering really strangely for me, with a bunch of text overlapping. Is this happening for anyone else? Otherwise, I like how they've added radio buttons for armour+weapon proficiencies. I might consider adopting that, if it takes less space.

Optimator
2014-05-01, 05:12 PM
I use Mad Irishman's sheets 80% of the time. I use this one otherwise. (http://ebookbrowsee.net/dungeons-dragons-3-5e-character-record-sheet-11x8-5-pdf-d500116418) It usually depends on how many PrCs I have and my spell list needs.

Anyone remember Emma's sheets? And--more importantly--her(?) custom spell sheets? Those were amazing. They were god-like. I regret not saving more.

AugustNights
2014-05-02, 02:56 PM
Excellent input everyone, I think I have plenty of sources to draw from. Thanks!

Zuke
2014-05-02, 05:38 PM
Ok guys, some of you are chasing some elusive sheets. You may find them in my D&D Character Sheets (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mirpvhyqtjrkc4q/3XjCiasCTk) drop box folder. I do have Emma's one too.

I also have an A2 printable grid Sheet for those like me who don't want to remove the one out of the DMG.

sana
2014-05-02, 05:51 PM
Heroforge - for the rare case where it doesn't already contain what I need it's easy enough to change and add new stuff.

GilesTheCleric
2014-05-02, 06:01 PM
Excellent input everyone, I think I have plenty of sources to draw from. Thanks!
Are you willing to share your results when you're finished?

Ok guys, some of you are chasing some elusive sheets. You may find them in my D&D Character Sheets (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mirpvhyqtjrkc4q/3XjCiasCTk) drop box folder. I do have Emma's one too.

I also have an A2 printable grid Sheet for those like me who don't want to remove the one out of the DMG.

This is pretty handy. Unfortunately, dropbox doesn't seem to want to display the pdfs in my browser as usual. Also, are any of these available in formats other than pdf?

AugustNights
2014-05-03, 07:35 PM
Absolutely, but it may take me some time to doctor something together... A lot of it will be accommodating for a slew of house-rules, and variants that I run with, so it may not be very useful to the general public.