PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Adept

Afgncaap5
2014-04-29, 11:44 PM
If I hypothetically wanted to create arcane versions of adepts (like, as the students of a magical university or some such madness), would I be opening myself to any troubles by just running the adept class as is and saying "Except their magic is arcane, not divine." The only issue I can see with that is the odd fact that you'd have a lot of arcane casters who get healing spells (and no ability to play music like bards to go along with it.)

Alternatively, any suggestions for how the spell list might be tweaked to create a new Adept class? A "Mage" class, perhaps?

CyberThread
2014-04-30, 12:11 AM
just be a bard

Afgncaap5
2014-04-30, 12:41 AM
That's... not really an option for this particular mage college, but I'll take it under advisement.

ShurikVch
2014-04-30, 01:14 AM
How about Eberron's Magewright (http://dndtools.eu/classes/magewright/) NPC class?

Ikeren
2014-04-30, 01:35 AM
If I hypothetically wanted to create arcane versions of adepts (like, as the students of a magical university or some such madness), would I be opening myself to any troubles by just running the adept class as is and saying "Except their magic is arcane, not divine." The only issue I can see with that is the odd fact that you'd have a lot of arcane casters who get healing spells (and no ability to play music like bards to go along with it.)

Not really. They're still NPC classes. Replace healing spells with some nukes/battlefield control of your choice and call it a day.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-30, 01:38 AM
Magewright might work well. It's not *quite* the right mechanic feel, but nothing that a bit of refluffing and repainting wouldn't cure. The biggest change I'd need to make to Magewright would be the spell list since the Magewright is, well... it's meant for magical crafting, maintenance and services instead of, say, combat. They have a couple spells that could be weaponized at the higher levels, but not quite enough.

Maybe if I took the Magewright class and gave it the Adept's spell list sans healing magic.

da_chicken
2014-04-30, 01:39 AM

Alternatively, any suggestions for how the spell list might be tweaked to create a new Adept class? A "Mage" class, perhaps?

Hm. That doesn't really make sense to use the same spell list.

Personally, I'd just remove the Conjuration [Healing] and Cleric list spells like owl's wisdom and commune, swap Int for Wis, swap Heal for Decipher Script, and add a spell from the Wizard list at each level on a 1-for-1 basis and fox's cunning, identify, analyze dweomer, scrying and legend lore. Probably should give them spellbooks, too. Maybe give them unseen servant, mount or something similar from the Player's Handbook. Just think of things you'd expect an arcane non-adventurer to need, plus the things you'd expect the players to seek out such a character to do for them. Really, though, students of an arcane school can just be Wizards. Some of them certainly should be. If you want them to be particularly crappy, just give them an Int of 14 or 15 at 12th level.

Xerlith
2014-04-30, 01:40 AM
If the only thing you're worried about is arcane healing, there's nothing to worry about - arcane casters always had the ability, at the cost of one feat (Arcane Disciple).

Southern Cross
2014-04-30, 01:42 AM
Use the generic class Spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster), using the rules for arcane spellcasting.

ShurikVch
2014-04-30, 01:57 AM
The biggest change I'd need to make to Magewright would be the spell list since the Magewright is, well... it's meant for magical crafting, maintenance and services instead of, say, combat. They have a couple spells that could be weaponized at the higher levels, but not quite enough. Spell list can be expanded with feats (Arcane Disciple, Cerebrosis (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Cerebrosis)), dips in some PrCs (Frost Mage, Rainbow Servant, Sandshaper), and items (Knowstones, Runestaff, Spellwurm).
Also, evil magewrights can prepare and cast corrupt spells

Afgncaap5
2014-04-30, 02:17 AM
Use the generic class Spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster), using the rules for arcane spellcasting.

That might fit quite well for some of them, actually. I always forget generic classes.

Chronos
2014-04-30, 09:19 AM
Also, evil magewrights can prepare and cast corrupt spells
And likewise, nonevil ones can cast sanctified spells.

If you do want to just convert them over as-is and just replace the word "divine" with "arcane", though, it shouldn't be a problem. The biggest difference between arcane and divine magic in the rules is just that divine magic works fine in armor, so changing them to arcane would be a slight nerf.

Darkweave31
2014-04-30, 11:15 AM
How about Eberron's Magewright (http://dndtools.eu/classes/magewright/) NPC class?

This. Eberron's magewright is the arcane NPC class. They are kind of like the lab techs of the arcane world.