PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] Magical Lineage spell suggestion

EvilPig
2014-04-30, 01:37 AM
Hello,

I am starting Carrion Crown as wizard and i would like to take Magical Lineage as second bonus trait (i choose the +2 init from saga so i cant take another +2 int trait).
But i dont know on what spell apply it.
I am Conjurer spec, and my first two feats are spell focus and augment summon. Probably my next feat will be improved initiative then i guess i will take some metamagic stuff.

Please help me to choose a spell or maybe give me a strong suggestion for another very useful trait!

Thanks

andreww
2014-04-30, 07:10 AM
Hello,

I am starting Carrion Crown as wizard and i would like to take Magical Lineage as second bonus trait (i choose the +2 init from saga so i cant take another +2 int trait).
I am Conjurer spec, and my first two feats are spell focus and augment summon. Probably my next feat will be improved initiative then i guess i will take some metamagic stuff.

Please help me to choose a spell or maybe give me a strong suggestion for another very useful trait!

Thanks
There are several options. The first and most obvious one is to pick one of the potent low level balltefield control spells. Anything from Glitterdust, Create Pit, Aqeous Orb to Stinking Cloud. Use them in combination with Persistent Spell.

If you are willing to wait a little for it to come online then pick something like Acid Arrow, Ice Spears or Acid/Hungry Pit and use them in combination with Dazing Spell.

If you are willing to wait until level 15 to combo with spell perfection then you can attach it to a level 6 spell and still quicken it or to a level 3 for quickened dazing spells.

An alternate option is to pick your preferred high level summon monster to double the benefit of augment and superior summoning with spell perfection.

In terms of traits reactionary and magical lineage are both strong. If you want massive face skills then pick student of philosophy.

EvilPig
2014-04-30, 03:25 PM
Any other info?

I cant see any lvl 6 spells that worth use with quicken spell. Maybe summon monster 6?

Killer Angel
2014-04-30, 04:34 PM

I'd suggest a simple Magic Missile, with Toppling Spell as metamagic feat (every magic missile forces a ST to avoid being tripped, and for you it's for free!)

EvilPig
2014-05-01, 06:02 AM
I could apply topping + dazing + something else to add conditions to target/s ?

In case of magic missle with topping (that dont have any saving throw) i just have to do a trip check?
It apply on each missle so in case i can do multiple trip checks?

Killer Angel
2014-05-01, 09:19 AM
I could apply topping + dazing + something else to add conditions to target/s ?

Yep

In case of magic missle with topping (that dont have any saving throw) i just have to do a trip check?

you're right, no ST, the target takes damage so you enter immediately in the clause "make a trip check against the target, using your caster level plus your casting ability score bonus". Which is not bad at all.

It apply on each missle so in case i can do multiple trip checks?

It could be debatable if you target a sigle opponent, but if you target multiple opponents, I'm pretty sure you make a trip attempt Vs every one of them.

EvilPig
2014-05-02, 03:19 AM
I am not a big fan of magic missle but the choose can be nice.

If i dont recieve any other nice tip i probably will go on this

duboisjf
2014-05-02, 07:14 AM
I am not a big fan of magic missle but the choose can be nice.

If i dont recieve any other nice tip i probably will go on this

You should go with that. I'm playing Carrion Crown right now (we're in Shadows of Gallowspire, 6 out of 6)

There was a sorcerer in modules 1 to 3, a wizard for the 4th and the sorcerer came back in 5 and 6.

They used magic missile countless time cause it was the only good alternative in many encounters.

P.S.: What is your party composition ?

P.P.S.: Talk to your cleric about optimizing channel energy. In some module it won't pay but in the long run it worth it. I'm playing one and I love it.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-02, 12:49 PM
Depends what level range you expect to play in and how long you're willing to wait for the payoff. In general, you'll want it to fuel Dazing Spell (+3) or Quicken (+4), later on when you have Spell Perfection (every caster's 15th level feat) maybe both. Late game the best picks are Ball Lightning or Geyser (the latter needs Sorc's +1 force damage trait or the energy type changing metamagic feat to be useful, though), IMO. Earlier on...I'm a huge fan of Dazing Stone Call. Massive radius, creates difficult terrain, no SR, no save vs. the damage.... of course that means it's a will save for dazing when ideally you want Reflex. But it's only a level 2 spell, so it's already doing plenty. Snapdragon Fireworks is another good low level dazing spell choice since it's only 1st level, though that needs Heighten Spell (daze for 1 round isn't worth the cost of Dazing Spell) *and* changing the energy type (or sorc's +1 force damage trait).

Do note that if you're choosing a 1st - 3rd level spell, you can actually also take the "Metamagic Master" trait for another -1 level adjustment on metamagic for that spell, and it stacks w/ Magical Lineage (since they're not "trait bonuses" or even bonuses at all).

duboisjf
2014-05-02, 12:55 PM
Depends what level range you expect to play in and how long you're willing to wait for the payoff.

Carrion Crown ends up with 15th level PCs.

andreww
2014-05-02, 02:01 PM
I would not choose magic missile. Toppling Spell is really pretty crap. Your bonus to actually trip things will not keep pace with the opponents CMD. Personally I am a fan of picking a lowish level battlefield control spell to add Persistent to early on. Glitterdust is a great choice bt Aqueous Orb may be better as you get to apply Dazing to it as well later on.

EvilPig
2014-05-03, 03:56 AM
What is the "sorc's +1" named?

Killer Angel
2014-05-03, 04:46 AM
I would not choose magic missile. Toppling Spell is really pretty crap. Your bonus to actually trip things will not keep pace with the opponents CMD.

Debatable: while it's true that you cannot apply size mod or bonuses from particular weapons, you use your level as BAB and your casting score as if it were strenght, so you're on par to a fighter. And multiple trip checks with a standard action can be worthy (numbers favor you).

StreamOfTheSky
2014-05-03, 09:21 AM
What is the "sorc's +1" named?

It's a magic trait, I think it's called Havoc of the Society. By adding +1 force damage, you basically ensure any spell will at least do that to any creature no matter his elemental resists/immunities. Dazing just requires that they take damage, it doesn't care how much.

EvilPig
2014-05-03, 11:53 AM
I see but is sorc trait so i cant take it