PDA

View Full Version : Player Help character creation

StrifeTheBloody
2014-04-30, 01:45 AM
i was wondering if i could have help on creating a class/race that would be a great stealth fighter but could do a great amount of damage but not be way OP any suggestions?

this is in wrong thread its meant to be in homebrew

Sir Chuckles
2014-04-30, 02:10 AM
That's very broad.

Are you looking for a Thug Fighter, a Rogue, a Factotum, a Beguiler?
What books can we use, what level, and so on?

Because as it stands, we can give you anything from a Commoner riding a freakishly stealthy Battletitan to a permanently invisible flying Wizard that can kill things Doctor Manhattan style.

I'll call in a modification of something I once played, that's not terribly optimized.

Urban Barbarian 6/Rogue X
Trade Ride for Tumble, Rage for Whirling Frenzy, take Roof Walker at level 1 in exchange for your Fast Movement, and take Roof Jumper as your 6th level feat. Invest in stealth skills, Tumble, Jump, and Climb. Take the Walk the Walls, Leaping Climber, and Wall Jump skill tricks. You're now a stealthy wall running parkour champion who charges (stealthily!) by jumping off roofs.

Yes, you are a mundane Corvo from Dishonored. I'm more than certain there's ways to get his magical side.

Inevitability
2014-04-30, 02:10 AM
Don't worry about being OP. If you're playing something that isn't a caster, the closest thing to OP is being able to kill enemies in a single blow.

But well, maybe a rogue? Their abilities are meant for stealth, and they get the abilty to deal lots of damage. (Except against certain enemies)

For a race, take whisper gnome. Their bonuses to hide/move silently, when combined with their SLA's and small size, make for an excellent race.

Xerlith
2014-04-30, 03:51 AM
How about Whisper Gnome Swordsage?

Jeff the Green
2014-04-30, 04:46 AM
Don't worry about being OP. If you're playing something that isn't a caster, the closest thing to OP is being able to kill enemies in a single blow.

But well, maybe a rogue? Their abilities are meant for stealth, and they get the abilty to deal lots of damage. (Except against certain enemies)

For a race, take whisper gnome. Their bonuses to hide/move silently, when combined with their SLA's and small size, make for an excellent race.

Well, OP is relative. If your party's well optimized, sure. But if you're in a party of wizards casting fireball, clerics healing in combat, and fighters taking more than four levels, a rogue could go overboard.

Personally I'd consider a Factotum whisper gnome. Dip Cloistered Cleric 1 for Knowledge and Travel Devotions (Trickery and Law aren't bad for the other domain). Get Craven and Darkstalker. At 5th and 8th take unarmed swordsage levels, getting you some maneuvers and, importantly, Assassin's Stance. Also look at ambush feats. Use the rule in CW that let's you swap racial weapon familiarity to get gnome quick razor proficiency. Any feats getting you extra attacks, like Snap Kick and Two Weapon Fighting are also good.

Combat consists of using grease and sapphire nightmare blade to make your opponent flatfooted and then sneak attacking/iaijutusu focusing the hell out of them. You use Travel Devotion to pseudopounce and get in that full attack routine and thus TWF attack and iteratives, but even when you can't full attack Snap Kick lets you get one extra attack on a standard action.

One nice thing about factotum stealth builds is that, though the text is confusing, it doesn't actually cast spells. It casts SLAs, which have no components, so you can use it silently.

Adverb
2014-04-30, 04:53 AM
Whisper Gnome is pretty much the gold standard, though Halflings aren't bad at this neither.

This might be a thing you want to do: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?273733-3-5-Swift-Ambusher-s-Handbook-WIP

StrifeTheBloody
2014-04-30, 02:10 PM
my DM doesn't like gnomes

Arc_knight25
2014-04-30, 02:24 PM
If your ok with LA. I would go Bugbear. Be the stealthy thug. They get a nice +4 racial bonus to move silently. They have a good racial stat line, but I think they are a LA 2. Talk with your DM because its really nothing all to powerful.

StrifeTheBloody
2014-04-30, 02:49 PM
If your ok with LA. I would go Bugbear. Be the stealthy thug. They get a nice +4 racial bonus to move silently. They have a good racial stat line, but I think they are a LA 2. Talk with your DM because its really nothing all to powerful.

i'm actually trying to create a race over in homebrew

Jeff the Green
2014-04-30, 04:41 PM

They also have RHD, which kills them as PCs.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-30, 04:58 PM
If you can't use gnomes, try halflings. And some combination of Rogue and Swordsage, plus maybe a dip or two.