PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help my dreamy goblin!

Raphite1
2014-04-30, 11:40 AM
I haven't played a tabletop RPG in a looong time, but am finally about to start a Pathfinder game with an experienced group. No details yet on what our first campaign will be like, or even what our starting level will be, but I'm brainstorming up a few options for my character and will choose one that fits.

One option that I'm really liking for RP reasons is a goblin sorcerer, dreamspun bloodline, if the GM allows it. I have a good backstory for him, etc. Obviously, the racial -2 charisma makes this choice a bit... less than optimized.

Any tips on how I can make this guy not suck too badly? I'm very open to small dips into other classes that can help play up his strengths, like using his +4 dex and +1 attack bonus (size) to do some archery. I'm not familiar enough with the non-core and prestige classes to know whether I'm missing good options there.

I want him to fundamentally stay a dreamspun sorcerer, though.

Help my dreamy goblin!

Callin
2014-04-30, 11:58 AM
I like it. In the grand scope of things being 1 behind on DCs and bonus spell acquisition is not a horrible horrible thing. Just put all level ups and bonus to stat items into Cha and be happy. I strongly suggest not multiclassing at all. Since full 20 Sorc is great

Edit: Using the False Priest Archetype could really fit in with a Shaman Type Goblin who uses incense and meditation to refresh his spells and be the "Priest" of his Tribe.

Raphite1
2014-04-30, 12:28 PM
Ohh, interesting. I'm talking with the group today; I'll come back to this thread later with some more details and proposed spell list.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-30, 12:35 PM
Goblins in PF are surprisingly sneaky, with +4 dex, +4 size bonus to stealth, and +4 racial bonus to stealth. That's a +10 to stealth just for being a goblin, before you put in ranks or high ability scores or anything. So maybe you could find ways to work that to your advantage.

Also, the dex and size are going to be very nice with your ranged touch attacks. I wouldn't advise investing much into archery because you're running on 1/2 BAB.

Raphite1
2014-04-30, 12:45 PM
Goblins in PF are surprisingly sneaky, with +4 dex, +4 size bonus to stealth, and +4 racial bonus to stealth. That's a +10 to stealth just for being a goblin, before you put in ranks or high ability scores or anything. So maybe you could find ways to work that to your advantage.

Also, the dex and size are going to be very nice with your ranged touch attacks. I wouldn't advise investing much into archery because you're running on 1/2 BAB.

I was actually wondering if he could be fun in a scouting role, using combinations of stealth, odd spells like spider climb, and dreamspun abilities like lullaby. Seems like he could do recon, get close, fire off a debuff, and probably stay safe until until the rest of the group could engage.

Blightedmarsh
2014-04-30, 01:22 PM
You could go with psion and refluff it as sorcery because A) It negates the cha penalty and B) Descarde is one of -if not THE- best third party publishers for pathfinder.

13ones
2014-04-30, 01:35 PM
You could go with psion and refluff it as sorcery because A) It negates the cha penalty and B) Descarde is one of -if not THE- best third party publishers for pathfinder.

Counter-point: Psionics is STUPID and most GMs hate dealing with it. Every game I've GMd and every GM I've ever worked with has banned psionics on the spot, no matter which game type they are using UNLESS it is an all psionics game.

But seriously I'd stick with Sorcerer. As a caster your best bet for 'arrows' would either be Acid Arrows, as the spell, or to pick up a crossbow. Honestly your actions are 9.9/10 times wasted on attacks with your bab (which is horrible) and better spent casting spells. You'll be stacking CHA and have UMD as a class skill, I'd use that to cast 'off-class' spells before I'd use a bow, to be totally honest.

I'm not a huge fan of Dreamspun but I can see why you would be looking at it. I do suggest looking into the following blood lines as they may offer alternatives to things that offer similar feels to Dreamspun. "Impossible", "Void-Touched" (Alternate of starsoul), "Destined", "Umbral"(fantastic, if not the best bloodline for scouting), and "Serpentine" for bloodlines

Feint's End
2014-04-30, 02:49 PM
Counter-point: Psionics is STUPID and most GMs hate dealing with it. Every game I've GMd and every GM I've ever worked with has banned psionics on the spot, no matter which game type they are using UNLESS it is an all psionics game.

First of all it would be much appreciated if you would express your opinion in a less passive aggressive way and instead just stick to the content of your statement.

It is a valid point however that quite a few dms are not all to familiar with it or do not like the flavour in their world and that's always something to keep in mind. I wheep for the world's missing out on the greatness which is psionics and the beautifully written ultimate psionics but I do understand the problem some people have with it and won't go as far as calling them stupid.

As for the original suggestion. Psions are no replacement for sorcerers. in fact they don't even replace wizards. What I love about Psions is their amazing mutable fluff and their distinctive different style of play from arcane casters. You can make a mobility focused nomad, running on walls and teleporting all over the place, a kintecist, turning the whole place into whichever element you just feel like using, or be a shaper, and literally change the world to look the way you want it to be.

To not completely derail the thread I'd also suggest sticking to the concept you have in mind. Maybe try to get stealth as a classskill so with just 1 point in it you'll be looking at about +14 at level 1.
I really suggest talking to your dm about getting rid of the charisma penalty and remove one bonus too or suggest playing a blue if you don't care about playing a psionics race (with an alternate racial trait they can even look like regular goblins).