PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying for Rapidstrike feat

Renen
2014-04-30, 12:09 PM
Any ideas on how to gain aberration, dragon, elemental, magical beast, or plant type while sticking only to +0 LA's and feats?

Amphetryon
2014-04-30, 12:11 PM
Any ideas on how to gain aberration, dragon, elemental, magical beast, or plant type while sticking only to +0 LA's and feats?

Play an Elan.

Renen
2014-04-30, 12:12 PM
Assuming race cant be changed (from what I have now, which is a changeling)

Kuulvheysoon
2014-04-30, 12:24 PM
The Racial Emulation feat (RoE) should suffice to qualify you, in that case.

Zombulian
2014-04-30, 12:37 PM
The Racial Emulation feat (RoE) should suffice to qualify you, in that case.

No sir. That only applies when trying to qualify for feats for other humanoids.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-04-30, 12:42 PM
No sir. That only applies when trying to qualify for feats for other humanoids.

Well I'll be damned - it's clearly been too long since I've read the feat. I'm giving it far too much credit.

Zombulian
2014-04-30, 12:43 PM
Well I'll be damned - it's clearly been too long since I've read the feat. I'm giving it far too much credit.

I would have agreed with you except I recently looked at it because I thought it did what you said, and realized I was sadly mistaken.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-30, 12:47 PM
Also, kobold with the dragonwraught feat.

Renen
2014-04-30, 12:56 PM
Assuming race cant be changed (from what I have now, which is a changeling)

O.o RAAAAAAAAWR!

Zombulian
2014-04-30, 12:58 PM
I think the capstone of the Primeval PrC is to become a Magical Beast, though that probably won't work very well with your build.

Vaz
2014-04-30, 01:00 PM
Short of LA buy-off. Not that I can think of outside of those already mentioned.

However with LA buy-off, you open up LA+1; this gives you Symbiotic Creature which turns you into an Aberration.

Zombulian
2014-04-30, 01:01 PM
As other 0 LA Aberration races, there's Daelkyr Halfblood from Magic of Eberron, and Synad from Complete Psionic.

Rebel7284
2014-04-30, 01:08 PM
Racial Emulation->Dragonwraught? Kobolds are humanoid after all. :D

You do need a flaw to take both at first level.

Zombulian
2014-04-30, 01:10 PM
Racial Emulation->Dragonwraught? Kobolds are humanoid after all. :D

You do need a flaw to take both at first level.

Haha that could work I suppose.

Inevitability
2014-04-30, 01:56 PM
However with LA buy-off, you open up LA+1; this gives you Symbiotic Creature which turns you into an Aberration.

Heck, even without LA buy-off that's an incredible template.

'Yeah, I'm part Ruin Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/ruinSwarm.htm) now, so I got some crazy fast healing, huge bonuses to charisma and wisdom (did I mention I'm playing a Favored Soul?) and no, weapons won't hurt me.'

Oh and it's acquired, so you may even be allowed to take it instead of another class level when you level up.

eggynack
2014-04-30, 02:26 PM
What class are you running?

Rubik
2014-04-30, 02:36 PM
Aberrate is a 1st level spell that turns the target into an aberration and grants an AC bonus (and little else), and it lasts for 10 min/lvl. A high level caster could make it last for numerous hours (especially Extended), though an at-will or constant item of Aberrate would be relatively cheap.

Vaz
2014-04-30, 02:49 PM
The issue is counting as a fiend to cast it with. And all it would take would be a dispel to stop that from working, and hence your Rapid Strike.

@Dire Stirge, while the point is noted it can be broken, it wouldn't work with a Swarm, as a Swarm is defined a collection of creatures, while the template specifies "two creatures".

Rubik
2014-04-30, 03:00 PM
The issue is counting as a fiend to cast it with. And all it would take would be a dispel to stop that from working, and hence your Rapid Strike.Then a continuous or at-will item would be the best way to go, since a successful Dispel would only last for 1d4 rounds. All it takes is for a tiefling wizard to create the item for you.

Necroticplague
2014-04-30, 03:02 PM
@Dire Stirge, while the point is noted it can be broken, it wouldn't work with a Swarm, as a Swarm is defined a collection of creatures, while the template specifies "two creatures".

While the swarm is made of multiple creatures, the swarm itself is one creature, or at least acts as one without anything saying when they don't (thus, it does in all situations).

Vaz
2014-04-30, 03:12 PM
While the swarm is made of multiple creatures, the swarm itself is one creature, or at least acts as one without anything saying when they don't (thus, it does in all situations).

A swarm is a collection of Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creatures that acts as a single creature
From the online glossary. Nope. It specifies two creatures. "Acts" is not "a".

"The rules don't specify I can't" do not apply in any situation, and explicitly here. A swarm is a collection of creatures. Nothing changes that. This is where CharOp reaches RAW, and the two don't tend to hold up, as CharOp tended to abuse poorly worded rules, such as this situation.