PDA

View Full Version : New Monk Weapons

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-10, 05:57 PM
Okay, we all know what the problem with a monk weapons is... they suck.

Seriously, unless they're going to be doing 2d10 or better, a monk will eventually be doing better without it.

So, I have an idea which might help them out:

Glove Claws

These claws are attached to any sort of garb, not just gloves. They can be affixed to gloves, shoes, shins, elbows, knees... anything a monk could reasonabally use to strike with. All claws on a monk are considered a single weapon together for the purposes of enchanting, reguardless of how many are actually affixed.

Glove Claws can be made of any material that any metal weapon can be, and follows all rules for doing so.

Glove Claws increase a monk's unarmed attack damage, making them effectively one size category larger when attacking with an unarmed strike from that location (i.e. a Medium 1st level monk with Glove Claws on his hands do 1d8 with his hands, but only 1d6 with any other unarmed attack). These attacks are no longer considered to be natural weapon attacks.

These are not natural weapons, and as such cannot stack with spells, feats, or abilities which function for natural attacks (such as Magic Fang or Improved Natural Attack).

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-10, 05:59 PM
So how much are these, and what happens when a monk has both these and the Improved Natural Attack feat?

Matthew
2007-02-10, 06:05 PM
Actually, a really good thing for Human Monks is the Weapon Group Variant, as then they can gain Proficiency and Focus in Long Sword and then take Whilrling Steel thingy that lets them Flurry with a Long Sword all at Level 1.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-10, 06:06 PM
They can't. They need Weapon Focus with it, and that requires BAB +1, which monks don't get until lvl 2.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-10, 06:23 PM
So how much are these, and what happens when a monk has both these and the Improved Natural Attack feat?

These do not stack. As clearly stated, once these are used, it is no longer considered a natural attack.

I was thinking around 100 per location for cost. Since you're looking at 6+ locations you want to cover so all your flurry attacks are suitabally increased, it seems balanced to me.

The important part is you can make some silver, some iron, some adamantine, and be able to enchant them with bonuses.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-10, 06:40 PM
But you don't specify the order in which they apply. Suppose a monk takes the Imp Nat. Atk feat, increasing his damage by one size step. His new unarmed damage is as a Large creature (assuming a Medium monk). He then buys these, and his damage can increase by anothger size category because the gloves augment his unarmed damage, which has already been increased by INA.

Matthew
2007-02-10, 06:42 PM
They can't. They need Weapon Focus with it, and that requires BAB +1, which monks don't get until lvl 2.

Damn; that's a good point. Still have to wait until Level 3, then. Poor old Monks...

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-10, 06:45 PM
But you don't specify the order in which they apply. Suppose a monk takes the Imp Nat. Atk feat, increasing his damage by one size step. His new unarmed damage is as a Large creature (assuming a Medium monk). He then buys these, and his damage can increase by anothger size category because the gloves augment his unarmed damage, which has already been increased by INA.

Added a clarifying note concerning this issue.

mabriss lethe
2007-02-10, 09:25 PM
Another thought:
work out a feat (or feat tree) that allows a monk to apply his full unarmed damage while using monk weapons during his flurry of blows. I would try to work out all the prereqs and stuff right now, but my sinuses are still packed full of green goo. If anyone is interested in working out the logistics, then be my guest, have a whack at it.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-10, 09:27 PM
I always let a monk use his unarmed damage with any weapon that had the ki focus ability.

Fizban
2007-02-11, 01:48 AM
I'd say it's simple: monks deal their unarmed damage when using monk weapons. They have the same base damage, so it doesn't make them stronger, and they still don't get ki abilities without ki focus.

Or you could use Iames's method and let them use unarmed damage through ki focus.