PDA

View Full Version : Can you choose when to end a spell?

RoboEmperor
2014-04-30, 01:20 PM
There are a lot of spells i'd like to end prematurely

1. polymorph
2. enlarge person
3. invisibility
4. mind blank

etc.

Diarmuid
2014-04-30, 01:23 PM
Spells whose duration shows a (D) after the timeframe are Dismissable.

Dismissible: If the Duration line ends with “(D),” you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell's effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell's verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
A spell that depends on concentration is dismissible by its very nature, and dismissing it does not take an action, since all you have to do to end the spell is to stop concentrating on your turn.

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-30, 01:23 PM
(D) Dismissible
If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell’s effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell’s verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

A spell that depends on concentration is dismissible by its very nature, and dismissing it does not take an action, since all you have to do to end the spell is to stop concentrating on your turn.

That should answer the question

Peelee
2014-04-30, 01:55 PM
Spells whose duration shows a (D) after the timeframe are Dismissable.

I did not know that. Awesome!

gooddragon1
2014-04-30, 02:57 PM
For those that don't have (D) in the duration:

Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm)

You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spell that you cast yourself.

Cikomyr
2014-04-30, 02:58 PM
For those that don't have (D) in the duration:

Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm)

Can you chose to fail the check on purpose? :smallbiggrin:

torrasque666
2014-04-30, 03:26 PM
you auto succeed if its your own spell.

Cikomyr
2014-04-30, 03:30 PM
you auto succeed if its your own spell.

So Self-fail dispelling your own Explosive Runes to make them explode is not a viable tactic? :smalleek:

HighWater
2014-04-30, 04:52 PM
So Self-fail dispelling your own Explosive Runes to make them explode is not a viable tactic? :smalleek:
Dispel Magic makes TWO statements on this subject.

The first is that you automatically succeed on a dispel against your own spells. This bit is in the targeted dispel section.
The second bit is that you may choose to automatically succeed on dispel checks against any spell that you have castg. This bit is in the area dispel section.

RAW it seems like a targeted dispel on your explosive runes will auto-work, which means the "trick" will fail. An area dispel doesn't have to auto-work because it gives you a choice between auto-success and rolling for it. I'm not sure where the failing-on-purpose RAW part comes from and I can't be bothered to look it up, but I'm sure somebody else will enlighten us.

Cikomyr
2014-04-30, 05:00 PM
Dispel Magic makes TWO statements on this subject.

The first is that you automatically succeed on a dispel against your own spells. This bit is in the targeted dispel section.
The second bit is that you may choose to automatically succeed on dispel checks against any spell that you have castg. This bit is in the area dispel section.

RAW it seems like a targeted dispel on your explosive runes will auto-work, which means the "trick" will fail. An area dispel doesn't have to auto-work because it gives you a choice between auto-success and rolling for it. I'm not sure where the failing-on-purpose RAW part comes from and I can't be bothered to look it up, but I'm sure somebody else will enlighten us.

Oh. I usually prefer Area of Effect dispel anyway...

With a full deck of cards, that's 260d6 Force damage, no saves or SR

TuggyNE
2014-04-30, 07:44 PM
Can you chose to fail the check on purpose? :smallbiggrin:

It's unclear if you can choose to fail arbitrary d20 rolls; saves, yes, but attacks or CL checks or skill checks? In the absence of an explicit rule I don't think that would work.

Lord of Shadows
2014-04-30, 07:51 PM
Regarding...

Also, if I remember correctly, Dismissing a spell that does not depend on Concentration is a Standard action. This seems to trip people up a lot.

TuggyNE
2014-04-30, 08:48 PM
Also, if I remember correctly, Dismissing a spell that does not depend on Concentration is a Standard action.

Assuming it's dismissible, yes, that's correct.