PDA

View Full Version : Elric brothers

evyldead
2014-04-30, 01:28 PM
How would you create the Elric brother's from Full-Metal Alchemist ?

Zombulian
2014-04-30, 01:31 PM
2 Artificers, one human with the Mighty Arms graft and one Warforged.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-30, 02:48 PM
I don't really think D&D is adequate to represent the powers portrayed in Fullmetal Alchemist.

If we were to try it anyway, I imagine that Alphonse (the huge metal one) is some kind of spellcaster who was subject to an effect like Magic Jar/Possession/Sandwich-Trick and stuck into a Large-sized suit of armor.

I think Edward is a spellcaster (some kind of transmuter?) with one of the Half-Golem templates. There are even rules for the surgery involved in attaching the limbs.

Winry (the blonde mechanic chick who I recall made Edward's arm and leg) is probably the artificer in this scenario.

The guy with the gloves who snaps his fingers to make things explode (I don't remember his name) has the Fiery Burst reserve feat.

Alexander Armstrong (The Strongarm Alchemist) would probably be some kind of Aeshkrau illumian gish.

Vhaidara
2014-04-30, 03:05 PM
No, Armstrong is a Human with Jotunbrund and Lost Tradition (Strength) (third party feat that switches your casting stat).
I mean, he almost literally says it.
"This Technique has been passed down the Armstrong Line for generations!"

Oko and Qailee
2014-04-30, 04:34 PM
How would you create the Elric brother's from Full-Metal Alchemist ?

I actually have a build for this.

Basically you want: Infinite spells per day, but you want way less spell selection.

Edward Elric:
Spell To Power EruditeX/Monk2.
Buy a Torc of Preservation and take Earth Power feat.
As your spells you know, just learn the usual stone wall, ice slick, metal shape, FABRICATE, etc.

But Mighty Arms and Legs (Faiths of Eberron) for Automail.

There, Edward Elric. You can do everything he can and much as he can.

The guy with the gloves who snaps his fingers to make things explode (I don't remember his name) has the Fiery Burst reserve feat.

Honestly, Mustang as a D&D character is unexciting and pretty weak (esp compared to what Ed can do).

Gildedragon
2014-04-30, 05:02 PM
Binders with expel vestige unlimited times per day, and rapid pact making

Tohsaka Rin
2014-04-30, 06:36 PM

I'd make Roy Mustang a Kineticist Psion, who uses nothing but Energy X fire powers. (Though giving him a custom flaw that requires the use of an outside source of fire/sparks would suit the character very well)

lordzya
2014-04-30, 07:41 PM
I actually played in a FMA themed campaign that reflected it very well by relying on a lot of homebrew. There was a base class that was only 5 levels that taught the basics or alchemy that everyone could do, and from there each alchemist/alkhestrist had their own prestige class to show their specialization. I'd have to ask my DM what builds the elrics had, but I do remember that Alphonse had paladin levels, and Ed had a dip in fighter and rogue.

Here is the alchemist base class we wrote if it helps.

Alchemist
Level Attack Bonus Fortitude Reflex Will Class Features
1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Martial Arts, Quick Craft, Obscuring Mist
2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Tectonic Strike 1d6, 15 feet
3 +2 +3 +1 +3 Earth Alchemy
4 +3 +4 +1 +4 Tectonic Strike 2d6, 15 by 20 feet
5 +3 +4 +1 +4 Wall of Stone, Hydrogen Cloud

Hit Die: d6.
Class Skills
The alchemist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Alchemy, Architecture and engineering, History) (Int), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level 6 + Int modifier.

Class Features:
All of the following are class features of the alchemist.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Alchemists are proficient with simple weapons but not with armor or shields of any kind.

Alchemist Abilities: All spell-like abilities derived from alchemy require a great deal of concentration and mental preparation to use properly. This means that in addition to the standard rules for spell-like abilities, attempting a transmutation without the proper focus can lead to a backlash of energy known as a rebound. Unless the ability says otherwise, each use of a specific ability beyond the first in a given encounter requires the alchemist to make a will save DC 10 + the effective spell level + the number of times that ability has been activated in that encounter. Failure results in the transmutation failing as well as dealing 1d6 damage per effective spell level of the ability, with a fortitude save for half damage.

Martial Arts: Alchemists get the martial arts feat as a bonus feat at the first level.

Quick Craft (Sp, ESL 2): Alchemists can harness tectonic energy to re-arrange matter, allowing them to create nonliving material in a matter of moments. If the materials are present and the alchemist has the correct array for that genre of material, they can perform 1 weeks’ worth of crafting in 1 standard action, with no tools other than the transmutation circle required. This ability is not subject to backlash.

Obscuring Mist (Sp, ESL 1): Alchemists can create an Obscuring Mist effect with a water or heat based transmutation circle and water, at a range of touch.

Tectonic Strike (Sp ESL 2): This ability allows an alchemist to violently deconstruct the ground, dealing damage to all creatures and objects in contact with the affected area. This ability is a 15 foot wide line, which can be between 15 feet and a maximum length of 10 feet plus five feet per two caster levels, to a total maximum of 30 feet, as specified by the alchemist. Creatures in the area are entitled to a reflex save for half damage. Those who fail must also make a balance check at the same DC or fall prone. If the alchemist has any array they can use this ability.

Earth Alchemy (Sp, ESL 2): At the 3rd level the alchemist attains mastery over a number of techniques involving reshaping stone and earth. These all require a stone based transmutation circle and access to stone or metal. These abilities are as follows:

Shield of Stone: This defensive maneuver allows an alchemist to create a barrier between him and his foes, allowing him to block attacks. As an immediate standard action the alchemist can create a 5 foot wide wall of stone, which is 1 inch thick, plus one per four caster levels beyond the first. The wall has 15 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 8. A section of wall whose hit points drop to 0 is breached. If a creature tries to break through the wall with a single attack, the DC for the Strength check is 20 + 2 per inch of thickness. This wall cannot be created if a creature or object (other than objects being used as materials) takes up the space where the wall would appear (This ability cannot be used as an attack or to block non-reach melee weapons).

Rock Projectiles: This ability allows an alchemist to create short range projectiles which can be used to perform precise attacks. To use this ability, select a single target within 20 feet and make a ranged attack roll. If it hits, Rock Projectiles deals 1d6 damage per two caster levels. Alternatively, you can use this ability to make spikes that you set against a charge. If you prepare an action to use this against a charging foe and hit, the target must make a fortitude save or be stopped in their tracks.

Earthen Pillar: This ability creates a pillar of stone at a target location within 15 feet, throwing a target into the air. The pillar is up to 10 feet tall per caster level and may be vertical or at a 45 degree angle, and can be used to boost an ally (or yourself) or to throw an enemy. If this is used on an enemy, they are entitled to a reflex save to dodge the pillar, negating the effect but forcing them to move 5 feet to either side of the effect or ride the pillar to the top, which requires a balance check DC 15 to accomplish. If this is used on an ally, they require a DC 10 Balance check to stay on the pillar, or a DC 15 for a slanted pillar.

Wall of Stone (Sp, ESL 5): Alchemists of the 5th level can create a Wall of Stone effect with an earth based transmutation circle and access to adequate amounts of stone, with a range of touch.
Hydrogen Cloud (Sp, ESL 4): With a water or heat based transmutation circle and access to water, a 5th level alchemist can spilt water into its component elements, forming a cloud of explosive gas. This effect is the same as Obscuring Mist except that if a fire or electrical effect enters the area it combusts, dealing 5d6 fire damage and igniting all combustible materials in the area, as well as knocking down all creatures creatures who fail a fortitude save. Creatures caught in the area are entitled to a reflex save for half damage and negation of the burning and knockdown effect.