PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other weapon creation

StrifeTheBloody
2014-04-30, 02:23 PM
i am looking to make a weapon and i dont know how to start i know i want i to look like nightmare's sword from soul caliber 5 i want it to use 1d10 for base damage but i also want it to have a magic quality that curses the person but not in a bad way not quit sure where to go with this pleas help with ideas thank you

sengmeng
2014-04-30, 02:57 PM
i am looking to make a weapon and i dont know how to start i know i want i to look like nightmare's sword from soul caliber 5 i want it to use 1d10 for base damage but i also want it to have a magic quality that curses the person but not in a bad way not quit sure where to go with this pleas help with ideas thank you

There are already rules for cursed intelligent weapons which can take control of their wielders. I think that Nightmare's sword should be one of those, with vampiric regeneration and the ability to confer negative levels like a life-drinker axe (in the DMG)

TheFamilarRaven
2014-04-30, 03:00 PM
If you you want to make Soul's Edge, it'd probably be at a least 2d6 or 1d12 weapon, cuz that weapon is pretty big. but that's only if you're going specifically for Nightmare's weapon. If you just want the effects of the weapon, it'd most likely be an artifact, or at least, high powered weapon

The enchantments would most likely be something like this. (and this is just how I'd do it, with my minimal Soul Caliber lore)

+5 Unholy (and maybe anarchic) Greatsword

Additional Properties:
- Only usable by Evil aligned creatures, if the wielder is NOT evil, in addition to the negative level they may receive from the unholy property, they must make a Will save (DC 20) each time the blade kills a creature or have their soul corrupted (i.e move one step towards evil). Side note (You may even want to give it the anarchic property as well, and follow the same Will save if the wielder is not chaotic)

-Each time the blade strikes an opponent they must make a DC 20 Fort save or have their soul siphoned (I.e gain 1 negative level). The opponent must be sentient (i.e no animals, constructs, elementals etc), or undead for this effect to take place.

-When an opponent is killed by Soul Edge, the wielder gains +2 STR and Constitution for 1 day. This can stack 3 times per day.

-However, for each day the wielder does not kill someone, they must make a DC 25 Fortitude save else they gain a negative level that can not be restored until Soul Edge feasts upon another soul. Note, the negative levels are not dispelled when Soul Edge kills an opponent, the negative levels are simply able to be restored after Soul Edge kills a sentient creature.

-The blade is cursed to be held by the wielder if they have been corrupted by it (i.e are evil aligned), and the wielder will not willingly part with the blade, and the blade will not willingly be wielded by another. If somehow another creature takes possession of Soul edge without killing the previous owner, the creature must make a DC 25 Fortitude save every hour. Failure means the subject gains a negative level. In addition, the blade calls to it's master, and the wielder is continuously subjected to the effects of the Locate Object spell, accept it has not range limit.

StrifeTheBloody
2014-04-30, 08:00 PM
Additional Properties:
- Only usable by Evil aligned creatures, if the wielder is NOT evil, in addition to the negative level they may receive from the unholy property, they must make a Will save (DC 20) each time the blade kills a creature or have their soul corrupted (i.e move one step towards evil). Side note (You may even want to give it the anarchic property as well, and follow the same Will save if the wielder is not chaotic)

-Each time the blade strikes an opponent they must make a DC 20 Fort save or have their soul siphoned (I.e gain 1 negative level). The opponent must be sentient (i.e no animals, constructs, elementals etc), or undead for this effect to take place.

-When an opponent is killed by Soul Edge, the wielder gains +2 STR and Constitution for 1 day. This can stack 3 times per day.

-However, for each day the wielder does not kill someone, they must make a DC 25 Fortitude save else they gain a negative level that can not be restored until Soul Edge feasts upon another soul. Note, the negative levels are not dispelled when Soul Edge kills an opponent, the negative levels are simply able to be restored after Soul Edge kills a sentient creature.

-The blade is cursed to be held by the wielder if they have been corrupted by it (i.e are evil aligned), and the wielder will not willingly part with the blade, and the blade will not willingly be wielded by another. If somehow another creature takes possession of Soul edge without killing the previous owner, the creature must make a DC 25 Fortitude save every hour. Failure means the subject gains a negative level. In addition, the blade calls to it's master, and the wielder is continuously subjected to the effects of the Locate Object spell, accept it has not range limit. i do like this part but i think it would be better if the alignment didn't matter but once you picked it up the only one who would be compatible with it would be you and the only way some one could take it from you is kill you

StrifeTheBloody
2014-05-01, 04:39 AM
thank you for all the help guys you rock i got my weapon created and love it

Beelzebub1111
2014-05-02, 12:31 PM
One more thing. Soul Edge takes the form of the favored weapon of the wielder. So if you have weapon focus, it becomes that weapon. Otherwise it takes the form of a single weapon of your choice when you first pick wield it, this is the weapon it always is for you.

StrifeTheBloody
2014-05-02, 09:04 PM
One more thing. Soul Edge takes the form of the favored weapon of the wielder. So if you have weapon focus, it becomes that weapon. Otherwise it takes the form of a single weapon of your choice when you first pick wield it, this is the weapon it always is for you.

did not know that thank you

Gildedragon
2014-05-03, 01:27 PM

a morphing weapon, or aptitude weapon

Beelzebub1111
2014-05-03, 05:19 PM
a morphing weapon, or aptitude weapon
More than that, it changes size as well. It's been a short sword, a monstrous greataxe, a rapier, the master sword. Also, it doesn't so much change at the will of the wielder, rather than it takes the form of their weapon of choice (And sometimes weapons in the case of dual wielders and shield users)

Gildedragon
2014-05-03, 06:27 PM
More than that, it changes size as well. It's been a short sword, a monstrous greataxe, a rapier, the master sword. Also, it doesn't so much change at the will of the wielder, rather than it takes the form of their weapon of choice (And sometimes weapons in the case of dual wielders and shield users)

Morphing AND Sizing properties; put them under control of the intelligent item, not the owner, and golden.