PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other race creation

StrifeTheBloody
2014-04-30, 02:29 PM
i am thinking of creating a race need help with it has 4 arms 2 legs can use a lot of languages but not all has a skin that feels as hard as mithral and is a very agile race mostly a barbarian or rogue race pleas help with ideas

Chaos_Laicosin
2014-04-30, 04:12 PM
Both the Thri-kreen (http://dndtools.eu/classes/thri-kreen-racial-class/) and the homebrew Sovani (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sovani_%283.5e_Race%29) have 4 arms. Perhaps you could make a variant race of one or the other to suit your needs. Also, mithral isn't necessarily hard, its just light. I think what you mean is "skin that feels as hard as adamantine"

Domriso
2014-04-30, 05:38 PM
Alright, let's start with the basics:

- Are all four arms equally usable? As in, could a character of this race potentially wield four daggers at once, and actually use them all on a single target?
- The Language option could go one of several ways. You could give it a natural Intelligence bonus, which will give it bonus languages, maybe just give it a wide range of extra languages it could learn, but you could also make an ability which facilitates higher learning, perhaps to the tune of "Linguistically Gifted: The <Race Name Here> can select two bonus languages for every +1 modifier of Intelligence," or "Linguistically Gifted: The <Race Name Here> gains an extra bonus language at every even level." Something like that might work, but it's hard to know without knowing more about the race itself.
- I'm assuming that "skin as hard as mythril," mostly just means that it has skin as hard as steel, because mythril is no harder than steel. Taking that into consideration, you could just give it a natural armor bonus, maybe +2, to simulate it. If you actually meant adamantium, well then you might be better off giving it a natural damage reduction, perhaps 1/Adamantium or 2/Adamantium.
- Being a good Rogue usually doesn't mean the same thing as being a good Barbarian, but if you want agile I'm assuming you want it to have a high Dexterity score or a high base land speed. A +2 or +4 to Dexterity with a 40 ft land speed (assuming a medium race) would seem good enough.

Now, again, this is all without knowing exactly what this race does. Is it insectile? Amphibious? Does it have chitin or thick skin, or even actual metal surrounding it? What kind of vision does it have, or what kind of culture? There's a lot left unanswered which could help make the racial abilities make more sense.

StrifeTheBloody
2014-04-30, 08:02 PM
all 4 arms are equally usable to your "Linguistically Gifted: The <Gabora> can select two bonus languages for every +1 modifier of Intelligence," thank you because that sounds good they are a tribal based race but more advanced than basic tribal groups they don't normally leave the tribe but they are not bound to stay in the tribe and i think im going to go with a natural armor of +4, a +2 to DEX and a +2 to INT they are a race that was forced into this dimension they are troll like but human size they are not aggressive but very cautious and land speed is about 40 skills are survival spot Liston search disguise Knowledge nature they have a LA? of +3 levels they have to put into the race before they can start putting levels into there class. Age max is about 600 years dark vision and low light vision but can stand sunlight. Automatic Languages: Gabora Bonus Languages: Any Except Restricted ones RHD are 6d8 and can learn languages real fast just by listening to some one speak must listen to language for at least a week in game time to learn language.(something like that)

gurgleflep
2014-04-30, 09:01 PM
The DM of this chap here would like to know if that race is complete; he wants to play it fairly soon and I'd like for it to be as complete as possible... Knowing next to nothing of balance, I'm trusting ya'll with this >_> you guys have never let me down, so I know you will do well.
Also, I believe he was using the trolls RHD.

StrifeTheBloody
2014-04-30, 09:07 PM
The DM of this chap here would like to know if that race is complete; he wants to play it fairly soon and I'd like for it to be as complete as possible... Knowing next to nothing of balance, I'm trusting ya'll with this >_> you guys have never let me down, so I know you will do well.
Also, I believe he was using the trolls RHD.

and a trolls regeneration as well

gurgleflep
2014-04-30, 11:12 PM
I saw four arms and it reminded me of something I'd requested a while back; would it be possible to modify it into what he's wanting possibly? It's the Shokan. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287227-Mortal-Kombat-requests)

Chaos_Laicosin
2014-05-01, 04:16 AM
Well, I've been meaning to make a 3.5 Sovani race (from last remnant) to my liking for a while, might as well do it now. Lemme know:

Sovani
Characteristics
Bearing four arms and large ears, the Sovani are the perfect race for detection and elimination of enemies. The are a very proud race, however, and do not socialize well with those outside their collective.
Pysical Description
Sovani are medium sized creatures, standing 6' to 7' tall. As such, they have no bonus or penalty to speed or threat range. They are covered in fur, ranging from white, to grey, to black. They have very large, cat-like ears; and four arms. They are naturally strong and intelligent due to their extra arms and insight.
Region
Sovani typically inhabit plains areas in small tribes of up to 50 people; though they can be found in all walks of life. Sensitive ears and a quick mind help them to pick up on local languages quickly.
Names
Sovani are not given names at birth, however a nickname may be inherited via companions or accomplishments.
Racial Traits
Medium Humanoid
1d8 Racial hit dice
+4 Strength, +2 wisdom, -4 Charsima
+2 racial bonus to listen and spot
Low-light vision 60 feet.
Base speed: 30
Racial Feats: Multi-weapon fighting, two-handed two-weapon fighting
Favored classes: Fighter
Language: Sylvan, common, + one bonus language, + one additional bonus language for every +1 Int modifier
Level Adjustment: +2

Multi-weapon fighting: Penalties for fighting with multiple weapons are reduced by 2 with the primary hand and reduced by 6 with off hands.
This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

Two-handed two-weapon fighting: A Sovani may wield 2 two-handed weapons in combat. Your penalties on attack rolls for fighting with 2 two-handed weapons are reduced. The penalty for your primary hands lessens by 2 and the one for your off hands lessens by 6.

Mountain Sovani
More hardy and more simple. As Sovani except, DR 5/Fire, -4 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom. Favored class: Barbarian

Tundra Sovani
Always white fur. Thicker fur. As Sovani except, 5 cold resistance, +4 Wisdom ,-4 Intelligence. Favored Class: Druid

StrifeTheBloody
2014-05-01, 04:38 AM
Well, I've been meaning to make a 3.5 Sovani race (from last remnant) to my liking for a while, might as well do it now. Lemme know:

Sovani
Characteristics
Bearing four arms and large ears, the Sovani are the perfect race for detection and elimination of enemies. The are a very proud race, however, and do not socialize well with those outside their collective.
Pysical Description
Sovani are medium sized creatures, standing 6' to 7' tall. As such, they have no bonus or penalty to speed or threat range. They are covered in fur, ranging from white, to grey, to black. They have very large, cat-like ears; and four arms. They are naturally strong and intelligent due to their extra arms and insight.
Region
Sovani typically inhabit plains areas in small tribes of up to 50 people; though individuals are found in all walks of life.
Names
Sovani are not given names at birth, however a nickname may be inherited via companions or accomplishments.
Racial Traits
+4 Strength, +2 wisdom, -4 Charsima
+2 racial bonus to listen and spot
Low-light vision 60 feet.
Base speed: 30
Racial Feats: Multi-weapon fighting, two-handed two-weapon fighting
Favored classes: Fighter
Language: Sylvan, common, + one bonus language for every +1 Int modifier, + one bonus language
Level Adjustment: +2

Multi-weapon fighting: Penalties for fighting with multiple weapons are reduced by 2 with the primary hand and reduced by 6 with off hands.
This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

Two-handed two-weapon fighting: A Sovani may wield 2 two-handed weapons in combat. Your penalties on attack rolls for fighting with 2 two-handed weapons are reduced. The penalty for your primary hands lessens by 2 and the one for your off hands lessens by 6.

Mountain Sovani
More hardy and more simple. As Sovani except, 5 DR/Fire, -4 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom. Favored class: Barbarian

Tundra Sovani
Always white fur. Thicker fur. As Sovani except, 5 cold resistance, +4 Wisdom ,-4 Intelligence. Favored Class: Druid
now with the two weapon fighting if you just used one 2 handed weapon would you use strength and a half times 2? and what would there skill allocation be?

Chaos_Laicosin
2014-05-01, 06:37 PM
now with the two weapon fighting if you just used one 2 handed weapon would you use strength and a half times 2? and what would there skill allocation be?

Do you mean using all four hands to wield a large weapon? I dunno... I suppose it would be 2.5x Str: An extra 0.5 each for the two extra hands. Also, edited the post with type and HD.

StrifeTheBloody
2014-05-01, 09:40 PM
Do you mean using all four hands to wield a large weapon? I dunno... I suppose it would be 2.5x Str: An extra 0.5 each for the two extra hands. Also, edited the post with type and HD.

thank you and i have created one as a character already love this race you created!!!